Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

Okay seriously this isn't even a gently caress ouya sentiment anymore, I just have to wonder, what the bloody gently caress does game player not actually a gamer mean? It's just a nonsensical bundle of words. Like, evne people who literally define themselves by video games are still *playing video games.* That is the entire concept. Holy poo poo. Yes, I will play video games on my PS4. That is the reason I have purchased this device. It is a game player. By using it, I become a game player.

It's like making a distinction between 'guitar player' and 'guitarist.' They both mean the same thing.

Not to mention, even if you use the 'they mean people devoted to video games' defense, I think people devoted to video games would want to play Dead Rising 3 or Titanfall or whatever, not loving Amazing Frog or bad ports of old NES games whilst dodging flaming chunks of their OOOH BANANA.

I am loving baffled. Does anyone really think like this? Are people really this desperate for it to succeed?

Stop thinking so hard about Internet commenters. Seriously. It's just a dumbass who thinks there needs to be a distinction between "hardcore" gamers and those namby-pamby casual gamers who play Bejeweled instead of real games like Halo, bag on someone like Anita Sarkeesian, and question every girl who says she plays games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sleepwalkers posted:

Stop thinking so hard about Internet commenters. Seriously. It's just a dumbass who thinks there needs to be a distinction between "hardcore" gamers and those namby-pamby casual gamers who play Bejeweled instead of real games like Halo, bag on someone like Anita Sarkeesian, and question every girl who says she plays games.
I'm more just confused about why someone like that would latch onto the Ouya of all things. What's there for a 'hardcore gamer' besides the emulation stuff?

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Endorph posted:

I'm more just confused about why someone like that would latch onto the Ouya of all things. What's there for a 'hardcore gamer' besides the emulation stuff?

Because those filthy casuals:smuggo: haven't even hard of the Ouya man. Only the real hardcore gamer nerds have. No dudebros to stink the joint up!

In all seriousness, I don't get it either. Supporters of this thing are ridiculously desperate.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I bet a lot of it has to do with the retarded decision to force you to input a credit card number before you're even allowed to use your ouya.
Way to build consumer trust, guys! That's not shady at all!

Also all the system messages trying to be funny and referencing internet memes remind me of a "cool" dad who thinks he's hip to the way kids talk but is just embarrassing everyone. :corsair:

The wreck might be salvageable though, some of the guys working at OUYA seems to know what they're doing - the controller is workable, the logic board would be ok if they stuck it in a less retarded case and gave everyone access to the low level rom flashing utilities. It's mainly the software end of things that's a joke.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

error1 posted:

I bet a lot of it has to do with the retarded decision to force you to input a credit card number before you're even allowed to use your ouya.

Also all the system messages trying to be funny and referencing internet memes remind me of a "cool" dad who thinks he's hip to the way kids talk but is just embarrassing everyone. :corsair:

The wreck might be salvageable though, some of the guys working at OUYA seems to know what they're doing - the controller is workable, the logic board would be ok if they stuck it in a less retarded case and gave everyone access to the low level rom flashing utilities. It's mainly the software end of things that's a joke.

Funding the Fun!

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Endorph posted:

I see it mostly as elitist circlejerk bullshit.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The OUYA, an all digital console, has an attach rate of at least .27. In fact, each of those consoles needs to have bought four games in order for the OUYA to have an overall attach rate of one.

Thank you for believing!

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

error1 posted:

To be fair Google Play, Apple, Amazon do that too.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams
Ars picked it up

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/07/73-percent-of-ouya-owners-havent-paid-for-a-single-game/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stick100 posted:

Google Play doesn't. It just need a valid google account.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Android doesn't require this to active a device. You can just click "skip" and have a Google free phone. Heck you could even sideload another market, appbrain or whatever and never have a Google account.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Stick100 posted:

I had to go look: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2534 .. you just have to select "none" as the payment method either from itunes or while trying to download a free app on ios.

Technically you can just input an invalid CC number on the ouya and it lets you download and play stuff, but why wouldn't they rather let people skip it than have to lie about their info?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

When I try to get free music I know it makes me setup a payment method and every time I take my CC out of wallet I can't make music purchases. I believe it applies to free applications too.

Edit: Nope music only, I am corrected.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2851613?hl=en

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Enzer posted:

I see it mostly as elitist circlejerk bullshit.

It's partially that, and partial appealing to a niche in the hope that they suddenly have buckets of cash and very bad decision-making abilities. The 'casual' market has been courted since they found out how big Farmville got, without realizing that 'casual' also relates to loyalty and desire. Zygna just about churned, exploited and folded that bubble in a little under a year.

Again, there are hundreds of little projects out there that could become huge at any moment because they hit critical mass. The OUYA is more a triumph of marketing, though.

Edit: "I think there are a lot of social and mobile app developers that would kill for an 8 percent attach rate on a platform that's 30 days old," Uhrman said. "These numbers will grow as more gamers pick up consoles and as we attract more developers, and I believe that by the end of the year we'll see a few developers telling us they've made more than a million dollars on Ouya."

This is where I wished there were Toxx clauses for life. I hope that quote follows her around and she doesn't qualify at the end of the year as 'all developers managed to earn a million dollars (gross)'.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 26, 2013

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

error1 posted:

Technically you can just input an invalid CC number on the ouya and it lets you download and play stuff, but why wouldn't they rather let people skip it than have to lie about their info?
They unironically defended this as a feature to encourage purchases. Looks like it didn't work.

We are a few weeks from the "things aren't getting better, they're actually getting worse" updates, because that attach rate was from people excited about their new console.

Has anyone seen any Kickstarters yet trying to get a slice of that $1 million?

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

theflyingorc posted:

They unironically defended this as a feature to encourage purchases. Looks like it didn't work.

I said this when I first heard about it, but Uhrman literally doesn't understand the difference between Amazon one-click and hotels making you keep a CC at the desk. Shocking, then, that the OUYA Marketplace hasn't turned into a storm of impulse buying.

I'm liking the fact that they still won't release any numbers about retail unit sales, though. Like, none at all, not even a rough estimate, it's just "sold out".

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

theflyingorc posted:

Or, which i think is more likely, it works and what we're seeing are the results. Just imagine how much lower the number of purchases would be if you had a loooong time to think about it while typing in that number every time.

iron_weasel
Oct 17, 2011

But then a tea bowl that is too perfect has no charm.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Which underpowered, unsupported, lackluster console crashes first? Ouya or WiiU?

Ouya is built on a business model that makes it hard for developers to make money. So I think it will crap out first.

WiiU's challenges are more exotic and strange making it harder to anticipate. I think since the next six months will finally see some interesting software for it, we will finally have some data on how bad things are for Nintendo.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Or, which i think is more likely, it works and what we're seeing are the results. Just imagine how much lower the number of purchases would be if you had a loooong time to think about it while typing in that number every time.

I think this is more likely. OUYA pretty much had to force the CC on start or there was basically 0 chance of anyone every making a purchase.

Why make a purchase when the games are free?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Stick100 posted:

Why make a purchase when the games are free?

It's up to each game developer how much of the game you get to play without paying. Most games are set up as demos that let you play for either a couple of minutes or a single demo level. My guess for why people aren't buying is that TowerFall is REALLY expensive compared to all the titles for a game that's only fun in local multiplayer, and every other game is terrible and/or available for better platforms.

Although I'll agree that I'd probably have wasted more money if I had to blindly buy a game. Demos are great for discovering which games are total crap, they've saved me from lots of bad games on PS3 and X360! ...I heard rumors there will be no demos on the PS4 and XBONE online stores, I hope that turns out false.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

error1 posted:

It's up to each game developer how much of the game you get to play without paying. Most games are set up as demos that let you play for either a couple of minutes or a single demo level. My guess for why people aren't buying is that TowerFall is REALLY expensive compared to all the titles for a game that's only fun in local multiplayer, and every other game is terrible and/or available for better platforms.

Although I'll agree that I'd probably have wasted more money if I had to blindly buy a game. Demos are great for discovering which games are total crap, they've saved me from lots of bad games on PS3 and X360! ...I heard rumors there will be no demos on the PS4 and XBONE online stores, I hope that turns out false.

There was some sort of study or data that a developer presented at a panel at one point showing that, overall, demos are bad for sales. He kinda danced around it with marketing-speak, but basically the reason is that if you play a game before you buy it then you only buy games you actually like. So, really, they are only bad for lovely games.

As you may imagine, this is a problem on OUYA.

(so yup, if you have a lovely game you can easily get it onto the platform, but it's harder to trick people into buying it)

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

XboxPants posted:

There was some sort of study or data that a developer presented at a panel at one point showing that, overall, demos are bad for sales. He kinda danced around it with marketing-speak, but basically the reason is that if you play a game before you buy it then you only buy games you actually like. So, really, they are only bad for lovely games.

This didn't happen, like most of the stuff you post, you made this up or totally misinterpreted someone saying "Demos are good for sales".

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

error1 posted:

It's up to each game developer how much of the game you get to play without paying. Most games are set up as demos that let you play for either a couple of minutes or a single demo level.

Speaking of this, with OUYA being all Android-based and rootable, has anybody heard reports of people cracking games to bypass the demo timers? I'd imagine it's fairly easy to mod the APKs and remove demo-based restrictions.

Because if it is, that'd make this whole debacle of a console even funnier.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Boody posted:

This didn't happen, like most of the stuff you post, you made this up or totally misinterpreted someone saying "Demos are good for sales".

I actually recall what he's talking about, but I definitely remember the source being from a company that makes really lovely games.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Boody posted:

Nah, this time he's just referencing a piss-poor 'study':
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/416824/game-demos-halve-sales-new-data-suggests/

quote:

The major caveat to the data is the unanswered question of whether game demos actively discourage sales, or if the best-selling games don't carry demos in the first place. Call of Duty game demos, for instance, are issued several months after the full retail game release.

Another limitation on the data is that it only examines Xbox 360 games.

In February, Schell gave an presentation at DICE 2013 claimed that games which sell the most are ones that build an expectation in players, that people wanted to try, but that didn't offer them the opportunity to do so through a demo.

Pretty sure nobody was going to buy Amazing Frog on hype alone, so whatever.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Extra Credits addressed it a couple of months earlier, based on the same EEDAR data. There's some logic behind their take (a good game with a bad demo decreases sales; a bad game with a good demo can't happen), but basing it on units sold is a terrible approach when so many of the top selling titles don't bother releasing demos. If someone wanted to do it right, they'd need to screen out the impacts of reputation (especially with sequels) and marketing budgets to determine whether the demo really had an effect, positive or negative.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Sono posted:

a bad game with a good demo can't happen)

Well...I wouldn't say it was bad but Brutal Legend certainly had a very misleading demo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Which underpowered, unsupported, lackluster console crashes first? Ouya or WiiU?

Nice attempt at trolling there. :rolleyes:

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Sono posted:

Extra Credits addressed it a couple of months earlier, based on the same EEDAR data. There's some logic behind their take (a good game with a bad demo decreases sales; a bad game with a good demo can't happen), but basing it on units sold is a terrible approach when so many of the top selling titles don't bother releasing demos. If someone wanted to do it right, they'd need to screen out the impacts of reputation (especially with sequels) and marketing budgets to determine whether the demo really had an effect, positive or negative.

Pach-Attack did a pretty good episode on the subject too.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
DoubleFine's Dropchord is coming to OUYA. How would you even play that game with a controller?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Aren't phone games the very definition of casual gaming?

Is everything they do and say delusional?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

w00tazn posted:

DoubleFine's Dropchord is coming to OUYA. How would you even play that game with a controller?

They announced iOS & Android, too - signs of upcoming Leap Motion mobile support?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

frozenpeas posted:

Aren't phone games the very definition of casual gaming?

Is everything they do and say delusional?

It's hard to define casual gaming now, I remember it was once termed as a game you can play on the toilet but modern tech being what it is I'm pretty sure people play Counter Strike on the toilet.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
If anyone's looking for something to do, reddit has a thread in its main Games forum about the new Ouya (lack of) sales numbers. A lot of people who aren't familiar with the debacle are asking questions about it, and it seems like many would be receptive to the non-fanboy version of events. For example, I already see people being told the controllers "aren't that bad" and were "fixed at launch". It's overwhelming to me, but I think if someone made a few real posts it might save some poor sap who isn't subscribed to r/ouya from thinking the system is anything other then a flaming wreck.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

What Fun posted:

If anyone's looking for something to do, reddit has a thread in its main Games forum about the new Ouya (lack of) sales numbers. A lot of people who aren't familiar with the debacle are asking questions about it, and it seems like many would be receptive to the non-fanboy version of events. For example, I already see people being told the controllers "aren't that bad" and were "fixed at launch". It's overwhelming to me, but I think if someone made a few real posts it might save some poor sap who isn't subscribed to r/ouya from thinking the system is anything other then a flaming wreck.

They're posting on reddit so they're already beyond redemption. Plus that sounds an awful lot like an invasion.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
No, it's the main games thread that people see on the front page whether they are registered or not. And...I was just talking about someone with more posting vigour then I correcting obvious lies like "the controllers were fixed for launch." Never stop blindly hating people you superstar.

Anyway, it's way off the front page by now so I guess I'm calling off my "invasion."

What Fun fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 27, 2013

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
At this point all the Polygons, the Joystiqs, the Gamespots of the world have weighed in with their generic reviews on the OUYA. What we haven't heard yet is from a bona fide consumer's thoughts on the plucky little console. That all changes today. We've all had a lot of laughs during this long endeavor, so I hope I can repay the thread for all the entertainment it's given me by giving some back in return. Me and my two bestest buddies sat down and evaluated a small sample of the OUYA's library. The videos are as follows:

The OUYA - Part 1

Amazing Frog

No Brakes Valet

Game Catcher

Donut Get

The OUYA - Part 2

Zombie Arena (this is a ripoff of some map or something I guess)

Flying Car

Zeus vs. Zombies

Fortune Hunter (this is apparently a pirated port of some commercially available game or something I guess)

The OUYA - Part 3

Soc-car

Sonic the Hedgehog

The OUYA

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

It's time for another round of... Satisfied Customer Comments!

100% shipped!

No problems whatsoever!

How would this even work (or does he mean the controller faceplate?)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Sono posted:

I remember another study that basically said a well made trailer makes more sales than demos. Like, demos make people realize how tedious the game could be to play, but a well crafted trailer gets people excited for the game and more likely to impulse buy it.

Which is like the Ouya and its renders, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

It really is amazing what sort of poo poo gets through their screening process. I mean, some of the games don't even have a working entry on the store interface!

• Locked thread