Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

They kinda do it in Pacific Rim When one of the Kaiju is kicking Gypsy Dangers rear end, the two heroes are all out of options until they realise 'Wait, what about the sword!' and hit the Sword Button that makes cool swords jut out of Gypsy's hands. They then effortlessly slice up the monster they were fighting.

This is like, the second to last fight, and in the next one, Gypsy starts with them equipped and uses them the entire fight

Some people complained that like, why didn't they just do that from the start, but I liked to think it was just something no one had bothered with cause they never needed to, then when it worked so well they were just like 'Oh dang ok, lets keep doing that then'.

I think that was supposed to be one of the themes of the movie. The other pilots refuse to change their battle tactics especially Cherno which literally is supposed to just drill it's feet and start punching in place. When Otachi and Leatherback (who are Kaiju versions of Typhoon and Cherno) show up rather than work together and change their tactics, the two sets of pilots just keep doing what they're doing and end up dying. When Striker comes rushing in to help save them he immediately busts out the chest cannons, which the Kaiju have seen before, and use the shockwaves to shut off the electrical system.

Gipsy Danger manages to survive and come out on top in the fight specifically because the crew switches tactics when they're forced to. The entire fight with Otachi was like a battle of intelligence, with them busting out new or unusual weapons every few minutes until it resulted in them basically using their last resort - Otachi's wings and Gipsy's sword + reactor. Had the Kaiju known about Gipsy's reactor they probably wouldn't have targeted Striker so hard at the end fight. It's probably why Gipsy then uses the swords in the next few fights since underwater, the plasma cannon might not have worked and the only physical weapon it has is the sword. Even Striker doesn't use the chest cannons underwater.

In other news, people on tumblr have been making GBS threads themselves thinking Del Toro is a racist because he used the word "Gipsy", completely ignoring the fact it's a reference to de Havilland Gipsy aircraft engines. It sounds like a racist word so it has to be racist! Ugh. I hate coming out of the movie theatre to see my whol e dashboard filled up with this bullshit. Yet nobody bats an eyelash at the fact the Russian one is called Cherno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Len posted:

The official reason has been posted in this very thread. The kaiju blood is super radioactive so cutting off a limb and spraying that poo poo everywhere is kind of a bad idea.

I guess China Don't Care since their Jaeger has those 3 spinning blades

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

I guess China Don't Care since their Jaeger has those 3 spinning blades

Seeing as the Chinese don't exactly have the best track record for environmental issues I'd say that's a pretty good theory (the Chinese just don't care).

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

In other news, people on tumblr have been making GBS threads themselves thinking Del Toro is a racist because he used the word "Gipsy", completely ignoring the fact it's a reference to de Havilland Gipsy aircraft engines. It sounds like a racist word so it has to be racist! Ugh. I hate coming out of the movie theatre to see my whol e dashboard filled up with this bullshit. Yet nobody bats an eyelash at the fact the Russian one is called Cherno.

Uh...

Gipsy is a common alternative spelling of gypsy.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Geokinesis posted:

Uh...

Gipsy is a common alternative spelling of gypsy.

It definitely is, but when the argument basically boils down to "well it sounds racist to me" while looking over stuff like: The white characters contribute to all the major plot points in the movie, the only survivors are pretty much white people + Mako and stuff like Cherno Alpha most likely being named after Chernobyl (which still causes serious health problems to this day) , I can't really feel very on board with the fanatical insistence that the one name is most racist part of the whole movie. Or the fact that at least Gipsy was related to something incredibly important in aircraft history while Cherno...eh.

I do wish Del Toro chose something else, it just seems silly to focus on that and only that.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Well, it does kind of reference the negative stereotype of gypsies as defenders of Earth from giant monsters.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

It definitely is, but when the argument basically boils down to "well it sounds racist to me" while looking over stuff like: The white characters contribute to all the major plot points in the movie, the only survivors are pretty much white people + Mako and stuff like Cherno Alpha most likely being named after Chernobyl (which still causes serious health problems to this day) , I can't really feel very on board with the fanatical insistence that the one name is most racist part of the whole movie. Or the fact that at least Gipsy was related to something incredibly important in aircraft history while Cherno...eh.

I do wish Del Toro chose something else, it just seems silly to focus on that and only that.

Yeah the name isn't the most racist part, but it is right to be pointed out as such given how gypsy/gipsy is often considered a pejorative term and it being named after aircraft engine that uses the name isn't much of an excuse.

As you say the whites do everything/survive is definitely worth pointing out as well as how insensitive the allusions to Chernobyl would be.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I noticed this watching Breaking Bad but it applies to movies as well. In some movies, characters will speak in a foreign language and they will put up subtitles. That's pretty cool by me but if I'm already using subtitles (I always am) then god help me if they loving overlap. This happens so much and sometimes, one of them is just "speaking spanish". I KNOW THEY'RE loving SPEAKING SPANISH NOW I CAN'T SEE WHAT THEY'RE SAYING IN SPANISH. Another big one is when there's just a music note as a subtitle. What's the point of that? Just to make fun of any deaf people watching? "Look at this music you can't hear". Or when it's like "ambient music". I can hear the music. gently caress.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Austrian mook posted:

I noticed this watching Breaking Bad but it applies to movies as well. In some movies, characters will speak in a foreign language and they will put up subtitles. That's pretty cool by me but if I'm already using subtitles (I always am) then god help me if they loving overlap. This happens so much and sometimes, one of them is just "speaking spanish". I KNOW THEY'RE loving SPEAKING SPANISH NOW I CAN'T SEE WHAT THEY'RE SAYING IN SPANISH. Another big one is when there's just a music note as a subtitle. What's the point of that? Just to make fun of any deaf people watching? "Look at this music you can't hear". Or when it's like "ambient music". I can hear the music. gently caress.

I always kind of assumed that [music playing] is for the benefit of people who arent 100% deaf, to let them know what they are almost hearing is just music and not to worry about trying to catch dialogue.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

SiKboy posted:

I always kind of assumed that [music playing] is for the benefit of people who arent 100% deaf, to let them know what they are almost hearing is just music and not to worry about trying to catch dialogue.

I hadn't thought about it that way before, I still think it feels kind of mean though.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Cherno isn't necessarily named after Chernobyl. It doesn't even make sense, there's only the one nuclear jaeger, that's even a huge plot point. I think it's named after Chernobog, a sort of proto-slavic death/cursed god. Have you seen the original Fantasia? That's Chernabog (the spelling varies) on Bald Mountain, all demoning it up. Cherno is named that because of giant death god. Pretty clever really.

Here's a linky to Chernobog on wikipedia.
Chernobog

KoB
May 1, 2009

Len posted:

The official reason has been posted in this very thread. The kaiju blood is super radioactive so cutting off a limb and spraying that poo poo everywhere is kind of a bad idea.

You could also make the argument that Raleigh didnt know about them since Gipsy had been upgraded since he last piloted it.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

theironjef posted:

Cherno isn't necessarily named after Chernobyl. It doesn't even make sense, there's only the one nuclear jaeger, that's even a huge plot point. I think it's named after Chernobog, a sort of proto-slavic death/cursed god. Have you seen the original Fantasia? That's Chernabog (the spelling varies) on Bald Mountain, all demoning it up. Cherno is named that because of giant death god. Pretty clever really.

Here's a linky to Chernobog on wikipedia.
Chernobog

Oh man that might be it then. I searched up Cherno seeing if there was anything else related to it and only came back with Chernobyl or Cherno Alpha. I guess I didn't do a very good search!

Was it confirmed that Crimson Typhoon is named after the Chinese goddess, Mazu, who protects fisherman and wears all red robes?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
"Cherno" just means "black" in Russian. Well technically it's a fragment that is only appropriate in words like Chernobyl and the Jaeger's name should be Cherniy Alpha but close enough. So technically it doesn't have to be a reference to Chernobyl.

That said, the fact that it is Russian and had a gigantic nuclear cooling tower on its head makes it pretty drat clear that yes, that is what it's a reference to.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Geokinesis posted:

Yeah the name isn't the most racist part, but it is right to be pointed out as such given how gypsy/gipsy is often considered a pejorative term and it being named after aircraft engine that uses the name isn't much of an excuse.

As you say the whites do everything/survive is definitely worth pointing out as well as how insensitive the allusions to Chernobyl would be.

Also it's set in Hong Kong but it's only there as an exotic location and all the asians are basically there as props except the single meek asian female character who falls in love with the white guy.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

She isn't meek and never does anything meek, except for her one scene as a four-year old. She freaks out and nearly kills everyone once, but even that's displaying the force of her emotions, not their weakness. Plus what with her being Japanese, she doesn't really contribute a lot of local authority to a film set in Hong Kong. I was impressed with how little of the "demure mincing Japanese geisha" stereotype they used with her, and them summarily unsurprised with how much people online thought it was there anyway.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I thought the Gipsy Alpha thing was related to the words the military uses for letters, like Foxtrot Tango, or whatever. :shrug:

Fake edit: of course now I see that the phonetic alphabet uses golf for G, but oh well.

KoB
May 1, 2009

hollylolly posted:

I thought the Gipsy Alpha thing was related to the words the military uses for letters, like Foxtrot Tango, or whatever. :shrug:

Fake edit: of course now I see that the phonetic alphabet uses golf for G, but oh well.

And also C is not Cowboy :v:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

theironjef posted:

She isn't meek and never does anything meek, except for her one scene as a four-year old. She freaks out and nearly kills everyone once, but even that's displaying the force of her emotions, not their weakness. Plus what with her being Japanese, she doesn't really contribute a lot of local authority to a film set in Hong Kong. I was impressed with how little of the "demure mincing Japanese geisha" stereotype they used with her, and them summarily unsurprised with how much people online thought it was there anyway.

She starts out as a meek asian girlchild who must be saved by heroic westerners (and this repeats throughout the movie since later Hunnam's character is the one who intervenes to select her instead of her rising on her own merits), is one of only two female speaking parts in the whole movie, is basically the only asian character in a movie ostensibly set in China, has only a handful of lines, takes initiative maybe twice in the entire movie, and is constantly bossed around and coached by generic assertive white man protagonist who she eventually falls in love with. It's still the exact same racial dynamic, just less blatant, and it still irrationally irritated me in an otherwise decent movie.

OXBALLS DOT COM has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Jul 26, 2013

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Pac Rim chat.
Maybe Gipsy didn't us the swords at first because it had a giant loving laser hand.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Cream_Filling posted:

She starts out as a meek asian girlchild who must be saved by heroic westerners (and this repeats throughout the movie since later Hunnam's character is the one who intervenes to select her instead of her rising on her own merits), is one of only two female speaking parts in the whole movie, is basically the only asian character in a movie ostensibly set in China, has only a handful of lines, takes initiative maybe twice in the entire movie, and is constantly bossed around and coached by generic assertive white man protagonist who she eventually falls in love with. It's still the exact same racial dynamic, just less blatant, and it still irrationally irritated me in an otherwise decent movie.

Her falling in love with the protagonist is explicitly not in the film, del Toro said he didn't want there to be a tacked on romance subplot. All their interactions are platonic, so that part at least is borne of your own preconceptions.

KoB
May 1, 2009
They literally mixed minds, its not that far fetched to think that they have a deep understanding of each other and care for each other in a totally platonic way. Especially when they didnt have a cheesy makeout session at the end.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Cream_Filling posted:

Sounds like that crap movie The Last Airbender.

Hm, four nations, we start with one wiped out. I know! Make one brown, save for the main characters, they'll be white, make another Asian and them pretty stupid and weak, and then the bad guys will have dark brown skin! Genius!

Oh, and the airbender is going to be white too. Perfect!

God that movie was so so bad. I'd almost like Shamalayananana to make an Adventure Time movie to see how bad he would botch it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Synonamess Botch posted:

Her falling in love with the protagonist is explicitly not in the film, del Toro said he didn't want there to be a tacked on romance subplot. All their interactions are platonic, so that part at least is borne of your own preconceptions.

Do you not get that the description is alluding to all the previous movies with the same general outline and dynamic?

Seriously, I'm not saying it's a bad movie, but it definitely retains the orientalist subtext of similar films that it purports to avoid.

OXBALLS DOT COM has a new favorite as of 01:08 on Jul 27, 2013

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Eh! Frank posted:

What I'd like to see is some special weapon or item or whatever be brought up early on, but is never used or even mentioned again, and no instances pop up where it would even be that useful.

In Speed Racer they outfit the car with all the gadgets from the cartoon for one race and even brace Speed on whar each is and what it does, but they never use the homing pigeon.

Just like in the cartoon.

e: Another irrational irritating movie moment is people intentionally mocking and mis-spelling "Shyamalan" because haha lookit that foreign name (not racist!!)

...of SCIENCE! has a new favorite as of 01:26 on Jul 27, 2013

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Cream_Filling posted:

Seems a bit project-y to me. I mean at the start she's 4 years old, she's obviously going be a 'meek asian girlchild'. And I really didn't get that she didn't rise on her own merits. It seemed obvious to me she was by far the best option from the start but the Commander father-figure guy was trying to protect her. And as far as I remember while you got sort of a romantic vibe they never actually kissed or made out like they were falling in love.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

jabby posted:

Seems a bit project-y to me. I mean at the start she's 4 years old, she's obviously going be a 'meek asian girlchild'. And I really didn't get that she didn't rise on her own merits. It seemed obvious to me she was by far the best option from the start but the Commander father-figure guy was trying to protect her. And as far as I remember while you got sort of a romantic vibe they never actually kissed or made out like they were falling in love.

The point of the child comment is that the character is set up from the beginning as someone who has to be rescued by virtuous westerners (a classically orientalist mindset) and can only reach her true potential after abandoning her past with their help. She has very few lines, she's portrayed as having zero experience and only gets her position because of Hunnam's constant support due to his virtuousness, and her role is to listen to and assist the basically perfect main character who barely makes a single mistake in the entire movie.

Then you add in the portrayal of the setting of Hong Kong and various other things, which also reinforces this interpretation.

If you want to discuss this more, let's take it to the Racism in Film thread.

OXBALLS DOT COM has a new favorite as of 02:35 on Jul 27, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

mllaneza posted:

Just once I want to see:

"Here's this awesome weapon or power !"
Hero spams it until you have to fight smarter or with more heart to advance the story.

In Krull, the hero goes on a quest early in the movie to retrieve an amazing super-weapon called The Glaive, which he then uses for most of the movie to beat the poo poo out of everything. At the end of the film he loses the Glaive and has no weapons left to fight THE BEAST, at which point he and his wife reenact a ceremony from the very start of the film (in a nice call back to the fact that their marriage was initially proposed to represent the nations of that world standing together in union to defeat evil) and find the power to defeat THE BEAST.

It's not a great film by any stretch of the imagination (it's the kind of thing you enjoy as a kid and kind of cringe at as an adult) but I always liked that the ultimate weapon is introduced early and is over-relied on.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm irrationally upset that I had forgotten this thread! :unsmith:

Here's something small from The Matrix:

During the scene where Cypher is unplugging everyone, there's a point where Switch looks in fear before she goes ragdoll. My beef with the scene is that the exact moment she dies, they decided to play a NOISE OF DOOM BAD THING JUST HAPPENED sound. It would have been a stronger moment without that noise, because it would have been as if she randomly dies... Which is kinda what happened.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I just watched Office Space for the first time in a few years. There's a scene in which Peter is trying to get out of the office early on Friday afternoon without Lumbergh seeing him, because he knows Lumbergh is going to ask him to come in on Saturday. Peter shuts down his computer and it has to save a bunch of files or something before it will shut down. It's a tense scene where Peter is watching the progress bar slowly fill up and poking his head out of his cubicle to see Lumbergh getting closer and closer. The save finally completes and he runs right into Lumbergh as he leaves his desk.

Why did he have to wait for the save to complete? I figured he had to wait so he could switch off his monitor or something, but he doesn't. He just grabs his bag and leaves. He could have left as soon as he initially shut down the computer.

tnimark has a new favorite as of 03:44 on Jul 27, 2013

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard

tnimark posted:

I just watched Office Space for the first time in a few years. There's a scene in which Peter is trying to get out of the office early on Friday afternoon without Lumbergh seeing him, because he knows Lumbergh is going to ask him to come in on Saturday. Peter shuts down his computer and it has to save a bunch of files or something before it will shut down. It's a tense scene where Peter is looking at the progress bar slowly fill up and poking his head out of his cubicle to see Lumbergh getting closer and closer. The save finally completes and he runs right into Lumbergh as he leaves his desk.

Why did he have to wait for the save to complete? I figured he had to wait so he could switch off his monitor or something, but he doesn't. He just grabs his bag and leaves. He could have left as soon as he initially shut down the computer.

That's some old school 90s office politics. Had the file save errored and popped up a menu, or Lumbergh had just happened by while the file was still saving, he would have gotten in trouble for not logging off his computer before leaving. Everyone working in an office at that time was used to that horror on Friday night when you just wanted to beat as much traffic as you could and get home, but the drat computer was taking forever to save. Then at the last second "File save failed" and you'd have to try again. The computer jokes and references in that movie didn't age well, in fact when the movie was new most of that stuff was obsolete. 3.5" floppy? Everyone knows that Zip Disks are the wave of the future.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Lap-Lem posted:

Had the file save errored and popped up a menu, or Lumbergh had just happened by while the file was still saving, he would have gotten in trouble for not logging off his computer before leaving.

Oh cool, thanks. That actually makes perfect sense.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Austrian mook posted:

Another big one is when there's just a music note as a subtitle. What's the point of that? Just to make fun of any deaf people watching? "Look at this music you can't hear". Or when it's like "ambient music". I can hear the music. gently caress.

You'll find a lot of the time there are two options for English subtitles, the regular one and one for the hearing impaired, which also subtitles sound effects, music, etc. Sometimes if the film's already in English they'll only include the hearing impaired one, assuming that people who can hear normally won't bother with subtitles in the language the film is already in.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

e: Another irrational irritating movie moment is people intentionally mocking and mis-spelling "Shyamalan" because haha lookit that foreign name (not racist!!)

I don't think there's necessarily any racism there, just that going by M. Night Shyamalan rather than Manoj Shyamalan is kind of inviting people to make fun of his name.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

Tiggum posted:

I don't think there's necessarily any racism there, just that going by M. Night Shyamalan rather than Manoj Shyamalan is kind of inviting people to make fun of his name.

No one makes fun of the Night bit its 100% of the time shamalamadingdong or something along those lines, and shyamalan is consistent on both names. I find it irritating too because its not even that difficult to spell shyamalan and he's been a household name for a decade. It's not any harder to spell than Tarantino or Wachowski but heehee it sounds foreign and silly lets tell the same joke for ten years

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I refer to him as Shamalamadingdong because he's a loving terrible director and a stupid dick and I'm making fun of him personally, not his Indian heritage.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

"Cherno" just means "black" in Russian. Well technically it's a fragment that is only appropriate in words like Chernobyl and the Jaeger's name should be Cherniy Alpha but close enough. So technically it doesn't have to be a reference to Chernobyl.

That said, the fact that it is Russian and had a gigantic nuclear cooling tower on its head makes it pretty drat clear that yes, that is what it's a reference to.

Fun fact: The cooling tower head for Cherno Alpha was actually designed to look like the Mister Fusion reactor from Back to the Future 2!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

RyokoTK posted:

I refer to him as Shamalamadingdong because he's a loving terrible director and a stupid dick and I'm making fun of him personally, not his Indian heritage.

Why not just say "rear end in a top hat director (who I hate) M. Night Shyamalan" instead of endlessly repeating a dumb non-joke from like 10 years ago?

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008

Cream_Filling posted:

Why not just say "rear end in a top hat director (who I hate) M. Night Shyamalan" instead of endlessly repeating a dumb non-joke from like 10 years ago?

I had no idea he was Indian until I read that post. I'm pretty sure Shamallamadingdong came from The Colbert Report, and it just stuck with people. Every time I have heard his name, I hear Shamallamadingdong in my head.

For GI Joe Retaliation, I hated that they killed Duke at the start of the movie. I sat there and watched that whole movie waiting for Duke to show back up. I even said out loud "There's no way he's dead, that's Duke!" Not to mention whatever they called the satellite program. It's Rods from God you jerks.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Cream_Filling posted:

Because not everything everyone says has to be the loving height of comedy? Inserting "ding dong" into his name lessens his legitimacy, like referring to the 43rd American president as Dubya.

It's the "much like your posting" of film critique -- it offers nothing, but when the opening is there, it has to be taken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bulging Nipples posted:

No one makes fun of the Night bit its 100% of the time shamalamadingdong or something along those lines, and shyamalan is consistent on both names. I find it irritating too because its not even that difficult to spell shyamalan and he's been a household name for a decade. It's not any harder to spell than Tarantino or Wachowski but heehee it sounds foreign and silly lets tell the same joke for ten years

Are you saying that "Tarantino" and "Wachowski" don't sound foreign? The man has a ridiculous name and is regarded as being bad at making movies, so people say his name in an even more ridiculous way, it has nothing to do with him being Indian. Or at least, in general it doesn't. There probably are racists who hate him because he's Indian and say his name wrong for that reason, but that's clearly not why most people do it.

• Locked thread