Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Yeah, I've had it before and liked it, it was a brewery only release and it sold out quickly, right? I don't mind giving up 2 really good brewery-only sours just for the 50N4E, but definitely not 4 bottles.

Correct. If I had to pick between Texas sour brewers, I'd put Freetail above Jester King. But yeah, you're getting ripped off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Got an El Catador membership :toot:

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

death .cab for qt posted:

Every flying dog is really, really bitter. I'm trying to appreciate the flavor as-is, and I can see how some people appreciate it, but man... I'm starting to think all their beers are just nasty.

Most of their 'core beers' really don't do it for me, either. I'll enjoy a fresh Raging Bitch, or a Snake Dog if I'm at an event that they're sponsoring, but generally it's only their 'special' beers that I find to be worth the occasional purchase (although a few have been awful, I've been very surprised by some stuff that shouldn't work at all).

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Me in Reverse posted:

Got an El Catador membership :toot:

Lucky! What time did you email them?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

8:00 and a few seconds

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Me in Reverse posted:

8:00 and a few seconds

I'm assuming I got in as well and it's just taking them a while to process all of the responses.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I'm assuming I got in as well and it's just taking them a while to process all of the responses.

Yeah, it seems like they are e-mailing everyone individually, resulting in it taking a couple hours to send 500 e-mails.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Anyone tried w00tstout yet? I picked up a couple of bottles the other day, and from what i've heard, people are saying that it tastes a bit hot right now and that sitting on it might be the best move.

I'm debating between opening a super-fresh Unicorn's Revenge or the w00tstout tonight when i get home from work. Any thoughts?

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Unicorns revenge is never a bad choice. I've seen some mixed review on the w00t stout.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I like w00tstout, its a very thick, sweet stout. I understand the mixed reviews, but I don't think that its too hot is really an issue. Its 1/4 aged in bourbon, and the bourbon and alcohol is pretty subtle. The pecan doesn't come through as much as I like it to. Also, if you drink it cold it just tastes like a hot sugary mess. It gets miles better once its warmed up.

edit: So CCB jsut said they sent the last e-mail. I was at my computer and sent that thing at exactly 8 pm according to time.gov, the same timestamp they used for the BA Hunahpu drawing. I honestly don't know how that didn't make the first 500. :(

swickles fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 26, 2013

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

The store next to my work has a bunch of Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald. Of course, Great Lakes doesn't distribute to California...
Gotta love beer smugglers- there's a shop here in NYC that smuggles and sells Bell's.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

swickles posted:

So CCB jsut said they sent the last e-mail. I was at my computer and sent that thing at exactly 8 pm according to time.gov, the same timestamp they used for the BA Hunahpu drawing. I honestly don't know how that didn't make the first 500. :(

I'm in the same boat. I sent my email at 8:00:19. Apparently that wasn't good enough. I wonder how many emails they received. If the volume was that heavy it had to be tens of thousands.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Does anyone who got it have the exact timestamp of when they sent it?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Cigar City posted:

We received over 900 emails in the first minute alone. We replied to people in the order we received them, taking care to remove any duplicates and other such things.

Also it is important to note that with the emails we are sending out there is a bit of a delay in people receiving them.

According to the purchase page, 95 memberships have been redeemed.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 26, 2013

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

They probably shouldn't have said all the e-mails were sent if there actually is a delay in receiving them. Then again, I don't know how they could have known that.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
At that point, isn't it basically down to individual email providers? That's entirely outside of their control.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

People are gettin' mad about beer on the CCB Facebook, that's for sure...

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

As much as I would love 5 ccb BA brews, I had to skip the club due to finances :smith:

on the plus side, small town "not your father's root beer" is amazing, holy poo poo. So much better than the Sprecher stuff and liable to gently caress you up at 10% abv.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

crazyfish posted:

As much as I would love 5 ccb BA brews, I had to skip the club due to finances :smith:

on the plus side, small town "not your father's root beer" is amazing, holy poo poo. So much better than the Sprecher stuff and liable to gently caress you up at 10% abv.

I had a keg of that root beer beer at my birthday and it will get a ton of people way drunker than they expect even if you warn them ahead of time. Next time I'll have to get a keg of the 20%...

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

LeafHouse posted:

I had a keg of that root beer beer at my birthday and it will get a ton of people way drunker than they expect even if you warn them ahead of time. Next time I'll have to get a keg of the 20%...

quote:

20%

:catstare:

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

I'd rather enjoy my birthday and not have to clean up other peoples' vomit during my birthday hangover.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

So yeah, we got a shitload of emails in that first minute. I don't quite get how the whole email ISP poo poo works but I have no doubts some folks missed out but gently caress. 900 emails before 8:01.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

It's not your fault or problem, dude. First 500 in win, that's the easiest and fairest way.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Well it is my problem. My fiancée and I have dealt with it all day. Good poo poo. Anyway I'm excited for it to be done and we can start releasing some goddamn barrel-aged beers.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I mean the bitching.. don't take whiners to heart :)

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Pounding Invasions, Oktoberfests and Good Gourds help heal all wounds.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

You should be drinking Sword Fight :colbert:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Went to Madison and found some hoptimum, gumballhead, new glarus strawberry rhubarb, and central waters brewhouse stout. Going to be a good weekend. Now, what to drink first?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hoptimum and work up from there, IMO.

Just opened an AMA Bruna - weirdly-shaped Italian beer that my store just got in. Not sure what to make of this. BA classifies it as a Dubbel, but this is totally not what a dubbel tastes like - much sharper.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I found a '10 Goose Island Fleur tonight after stopping in a grocery store which apparently doesn't have much beer traffic.

I've never seen this before, will it still be good after 3 years?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

As much as I love cigar city, and I am not placing any blame on them, its almost not worth it anymore. The distributors have essentially halted all flow of Jai Alai and seemingly halved Maduro and the rest to south Florida. I used to be able to go to Total Wine or a grocery store and get a 6 pack. Now, I either have to chase a truck for the 2 cases that come, or organize a trade for it..which is every bit as ridiculous as it sounds. Combined with sending a timestamped e-mail at 8:00 and 6 seconds and not getting in, its just insane that living in South Florida, Cigar City might as well be in loving Michigan the way people treat it. I already know of several people who have multiple Catador memberships and its that culture and the desire to trade for whales is why I hate (not dislike, but actively hate) beer culture. Its all about gently caress you, got mine and not about sharing. There is literally no system that isn't gamed, taken advantage of, or loophole free. The biggest problem is that it works for these people and just encourages others, to just say gently caress it and take part of the whole thing.

I have no "founders" membership in any other club, I even passed up a Funky Buddha one because while they were good, I was holding out for Cigar City to do the same. They are by far my favorite brewery, and am incredibly proud to call them a Florida brewery, but the hype and attitude by an admittedly small, but growing, percentage is literally making me say gently caress it and finding a new hobby.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I am getting really loving annoyed at seeing this specific comment --- You AND EVERY OTHER loving PERSON sent your email at 8:00 and a few seconds. STOP ACTING LIKE THAT MEANS YOU SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN IN. First 500 is first 500, whether it's in 4 seconds or 4 hours. Or the five days that FL locals had to get memberships in person.

Obsessive collecting, ~*~WHALES~*~, selfishness, and hoarding are endemic to literally every hobby. Beer is not unique to that fact. That doesn't make CCB any less deserving of praise, money, or whatever.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 27, 2013

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Me in Reverse posted:

I am getting really loving annoyed at seeing this specific comment --- You AND EVERY OTHER loving PERSON sent your email at 8:00 and a few seconds. STOP ACTING LIKE THAT MEANS YOU SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN IN. First 500 is first 500, whether it's in 4 seconds or 4 hours.

Maybe you should have read a little more closely. I understand how the system works, what sucks is that people are signing up and recieving multiple memberships because of the pervasive "gotta have them all and then more so I can trade for poo poo" mentality that I said was in a growing minority of beer people. I never said it wasn't fair that I didn't get a membership, only that its unfair to get multiple ones.

edit: since you edited, I will. The first thing I said was that CCB was in no way to blame, but as far as other hobbies I have, beer is the one that has this attitude the most and its the most off-putting.

swickles fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 27, 2013

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Also, is founders devil dancer something amazing? They had that as well but was $6 a bottle.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Me in Reverse posted:

I am getting really loving annoyed at seeing this specific comment --- You AND EVERY OTHER loving PERSON sent your email at 8:00 and a few seconds. STOP ACTING LIKE THAT MEANS YOU SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN IN. First 500 is first 500, whether it's in 4 seconds or 4 hours. [sub]Or the five days that FL locals had to get memberships in person.[sub]

Says the guy who got a membership.

Seriously though, certain aspects of beer culture does suck. Like what Swickles pointed out, people hoarding beer, etc. What doesn't suck though is being able to talk to complete strangers at a bar about something that both of you love. I've met so many who I would have never met if I wasn't into beer like I am, and for that I'm thankful.

Like Lagunitas says... beer speaks, people mumble.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

swickles posted:

Maybe you should have read a little more closely. I understand how the system works, what sucks is that people are signing up and recieving multiple memberships because of the pervasive "gotta have them all and then more so I can trade for poo poo" mentality that I said was in a growing minority of beer people. I never said it wasn't fair that I didn't get a membership, only that its unfair to get multiple ones.

CCB's email said they'd revoke any multiple memberships. Report these people to XXGirlKisserXX or CCB or something.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Kudosx posted:

Says the guy who got a membership.

Seriously though, certain aspects of beer culture does suck. Like what Swickles pointed out, people hoarding beer, etc. What doesn't suck though is being able to talk to complete strangers at a bar about something that both of you love. I've met so many who I would have never met if I wasn't into beer like I am, and for that I'm thankful.

Like Lagunitas says... beer speaks, people mumble.

If I didn't win the raffle I wouldn't be bemoaning the raffle. It is what it is.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

swickles posted:

edit: since you edited, I will. The first thing I said was that CCB was in no way to blame, but as far as other hobbies I have, beer is the one that has this attitude the most and its the most off-putting.

I'm admittedly being pissy about this because of shitlords on Facebook, so let me step back and apologize for snapping at you.

I agree with you but the stance that it makes it somehow 'not worth it' is silly.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Me in Reverse posted:

If I didn't win the raffle I wouldn't be bemoaning the raffle. It is what it is.

Again, I am not bemoaning the raffle, even though its not a raffle...

I am bemoaning people doing certain things to game the system at the expense of others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

swickles posted:

Again, I am not bemoaning the raffle, even though its not a raffle...

I am bemoaning people doing certain things to game the system at the expense of others.

That was in reply to his "Says the guy who got a membership" comment. "First email in" is basically a raffle, FWIW.

Again, CCB explicitly said they'd revoke multiple memberships, and we've got a goon-friend insider. Snitch on them.