Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
I was reading over The Mage and I'm wondering what the narrative difference between "Cast A Spell" and "Ritual" is. Is there an upper limit on what Cast A Spell can achieve? How about Ritual? What sets them apart, beyond the conditions given in the playbook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Ritual has no limits on it, just costs. If you want to cast a ritual to end all life on the planet, you probably can, but you'll have to fulfil some impossible conditions.

Cast A Spell is meant more for every day use, and has a completely different trigger which tells you exactly when it's usable (which isn't at will).

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Bigup DJ posted:

I was reading over The Mage and I'm wondering what the narrative difference between "Cast A Spell" and "Ritual" is. Is there an upper limit on what Cast A Spell can achieve? How about Ritual? What sets them apart, beyond the conditions given in the playbook?
I've actually had problems with this as a GM, and ended up using Ritual in some instances where I should've used Cast a Spell (I've now swung back to calling for more Cast a Spell). Something to more clearly delineate the line between the two moves would be nice. I mostly use Ritual for stuff that feels like it'd take a lot of preparation to set up.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
In my head, the dividing line between Ritual and Cast a Spell is the difference between completely solving a problem and creating an advantage/disadvantage.

Also! Question came up on RPG.net but nobody really weighed in - how do you deal with the intersection of armor and spending hold on Defend to take half damage? I subtract armor from the damage and then cut what remains in half, but I'm not sure what the order of operations should be.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Ritual has no limits on it, just costs. If you want to cast a ritual to end all life on the planet, you probably can, but you'll have to fulfil some impossible conditions.

Would you place limits on a move resembling Ritual which didn't require you to fulfil any conditions but which required a huge cost? ie. It may be cast at any time and its effects will begin near-instantly, but the costs are much higher than the costs of a typical Ritual. This was intended as a move for The Bound but I'm worried that any PC with this power would draw too much attention away from the rest of the plot. It would probably work better as a GM move for a danger, "Vast Power" or something.

quote:

UNLIMITED POWER

Conditions:
The ritual may be cast anywhere, any time OR at times of great emotional strain OR when it would function as an appropriate plot device.
• The energies involved are always detectable for miles.
• The goals of the ritual must be within the domain of your Power.
• Conversely, the effects of the ritual will always express the aesthetics of your power in some way.
Costs:
• Your surroundings are desecrated forever by the energies of your Power.
• The ritual takes on a life of its own and rages beyond your control.
• Your Power takes the opportunity to reach forth and corrupt someone close to you.
• Body and mind are warped extensively as your Power extends its influence.
• Something valuable is cursed in the name of your Power.
And possibly:
• A being descended from your Power has been released into the world.
• You gain +1 ongoing to any action within your Power's domain. (ie. When acting how your Power would act, doing what it can do) When this bonus reaches +3, the Power is released.

In that vein, what are the limits on the power of a typical PC move as opposed to a GM move? Is there any precedent for playing a PC with powers more akin to a Danger?

Bigup DJ fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 26, 2013

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bigup DJ posted:

Would you place limits on a move resembling Ritual which didn't require you to fulfil any conditions but which required a huge cost?

If you want the Bound to have unlimited power, just give it a variant of Ritual with a different trigger and a bunch of customised conditions.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

If you want the Bound to have unlimited power, just give it a variant of Ritual with a different trigger and a bunch of customised conditions.

Well yeah that's what I did. What I'm asking is whether that's a good idea and what influence the power of a ritual should have on its conditions.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bigup DJ posted:

Well yeah that's what I did. What I'm asking is whether that's a good idea and what influence the power of a ritual should have on its conditions.

By "a different trigger" I mean "a requirement that is about as hard to fulfil as finding a place of power," as opposed to having a move that can be cast on the spot (which is a bad idea). Since the stuff you posted isn't in move format it's sort of hard to tell, but I'm guessing you're going to let the player pick the drawbacks. The ones that are there are pretty cool, and with the right limitation on the trigger I feel this could make a neat 6-10.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Glazius posted:

In my head, the dividing line between Ritual and Cast a Spell is the difference between completely solving a problem and creating an advantage/disadvantage.

Also! Question came up on RPG.net but nobody really weighed in - how do you deal with the intersection of armor and spending hold on Defend to take half damage? I subtract armor from the damage and then cut what remains in half, but I'm not sure what the order of operations should be.

I do it the other way around, since defending is more than just your armor, you are actively trying to deflect that damage. I half the incoming damage first, then any damage that gets past your defense still has to strike your armor, so then I subtract armor last. logically why would you want your armor value divided in half just becasue you are defending. After all, someone in plate armor who defends is going to block more blows than someone in leather or without armor.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
What would you say is The Artificer's "niche"? They've got gadgets, and the potential for combat, but it seems like trying to be effective leaves them permanently bereft of Charge, or at best a rather ineffectual magic user equivalent.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Handgun Phonics posted:

What would you say is The Artificer's "niche"? They've got gadgets, and the potential for combat, but it seems like trying to be effective leaves them permanently bereft of Charge, or at best a rather ineffectual magic user equivalent.
Do you have an older version? The current one says, "When you take a short break to recharge and fine-tune your Gadgets, set your Charge to 3." Seems easy enough to keep enough Charge to do interesting things.

If you're using an older one for whatever reason, we always used the Jury-Rig move to recharge.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
You have to remember that the Artificer only spends charge when he uses a Gadget as a weapon or volley, or to get out of a tight spot. Get out of a tight spot is going to be your defense items if I am not mistaken, but when you are not in danger, any other device you have consumes no charge.

Honestly, I feel like charge needs to be treated like ammo, but that doesn't work when using it in melee. but you can still jury-rig a device and use it for that purpose.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
I'm using the newer version. I always assumed "a short break" was something like five minutes, which is highly impractical during a big shootout, and the direct power they derive from that three charge is grossly outshone by already having a Druid and a Fighter.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
I'm including here a number of session notes I've used to run a mini-campaign over the summer. It started out rocky, I had players drop and join, and some characters got seriously reworked as I dusted off my DM skills (it had been about two years) and we learned the system (first DW campaign). Sessions 4-6 are of a much higher quality. Session 3 sets up the plot, and Session 2 sets up the plot for Sesssion 3.

Session 2

Session 3
New Treasures: Dwarven Scale Mail, Copper Dwarven Notes
New Enemies: Great Viper, Stone Golem, Dwarven Guardian Statues, Large Centipedes
New Dungeons: An abandoned watch tower, abandoned dwarven settlement, and temporally confusing mineshaft

Session 4
New Treasures: Artifact undead-fighting bow, Silver Dust poison
New Enemies: Lusca, Coral Golem, Silver Bells, Kopru, Pirahna, Stirge
New Dungeons: An underground cave with old ruins and a large lake.

Session 5
New Treasures: Ring of Protection, Knife of the Void, Chime of Resounding Silence, Blessed Salt
New Enemies: Ice Mephit, Silence Bringer, Small Ghost, Argorth, Mother of Oblivion, Angel of Serenity, Barghest, Corrupture, Air Elemental, Guardian
New Dungeons: An ancient hall of order corrupted by chaos, a pocket dimension maze and arcane research facility.

Session 6
New Treasures: Artifact wizard staff, Coin Armor, Ring of Force Shield, Wizard Hat, Basilisk Shield, Blink Cloak
New Enemies: Hezrou Demon, Hasguil, Vampire Rose, Wizard, Lich Shade
New Dungeons: An old, ruined castle.

The notes may not be entirely consistent, but the scenes are mostly the important parts. They didn't always happen in order, and they certainly weren't the only thing that happened (the party wizard decided summoning a second Imp, letting it loose, and following it would be a good way to find the first one), but they all happened in some capacity.

The campsite questions were questions asked to players, and they could avoid eating a ration if they chose to tell a story (in character) instead.

Context:
Griggs is a Paladin who wants what is right.
Ayveen is a dark dwarf Assassin who wants money.
Crow is a Druid who is an eco-terrorist.
Rook is a Rogue who wants some shiny things and her brother Brynn.
Thread is a Fighter who wants adventure.
Xiulan is a Bard who wants some books.
Oyej is a Wizard who wants to seem tough.
Trix is a Fey who wants something powerful enough to trade Queen Mab for a favor.

The plot involves an evil cabal of necromancers operating in secret in and around a wizarding school. The adventurers get introduced to the necromancers, help some people, and launch an investigation that turns into a series of murders that spiral out of control into a Lich ritual. If you wanted to run this yourself, it might be doable with minor modifications. There are a few blanks and incomplete spots, but draw maps, leave blanks.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 27, 2013

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Do you have templates available, or for a walkthrough for other people who don't really know how to make those PDFs?

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
They're done in LaTeX. I could post the style file, but without a LaTeX compilation system and a bunch of packages, it wouldn't do much good. And anyone familiar with LaTeX should be able to replicate it pretty easily. :shrug:

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 27, 2013

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's a pretty keen markup. How much of this is prep, how much is AAR?

wrl
Sep 17, 2004
omg<3kittens

wrl posted:

I had a couple issues with the variations of Swashbuckler I had seen, so I started working on this, The Swashbuckler. Let me know what you think. Still working on language issues and advanced moves.

I've made a PDF. Still needs lots of work, but I wanted to share regardless.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Glazius posted:

That's a pretty keen markup. How much of this is prep, how much is AAR?

That's 100% prep. The fifth session became two sessions (it's really long). The AARs would be notable longer, I think, because so much happened around those scenes (like chasing Imp #2 through the wizard school, or deciding to fight the Nightwings in the belfry itself in the keep).

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
ETA on the Brute + Alchemist: tomorrow! I've also got a real desire to run a PBP game now that I've got some spare time, and one that goes all out! Thinking a bunch of adventurers breaking into hades/ elysium to steal from the gods. It's going to be really short though; only five weeks, so ideal for testing classes/ crazy ideas. Let me know if you want anything tried out from the GM side! I'd love to see how the Brute/ Alchemist play, so if anyone fancies giving one of them a shot that'd be cool.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Teonis posted:

I do it the other way around, since defending is more than just your armor, you are actively trying to deflect that damage. I half the incoming damage first, then any damage that gets past your defense still has to strike your armor, so then I subtract armor last. logically why would you want your armor value divided in half just becasue you are defending. After all, someone in plate armor who defends is going to block more blows than someone in leather or without armor.

Well, I'm just thinking there are characters who can potentially have 6 armor all the time (plate + shield + paladin/fighter advanced moves), and doing it half-before-armor makes them pretty much invincible.

QuantumNinja posted:

That's 100% prep. The fifth session became two sessions (it's really long). The AARs would be notable longer, I think, because so much happened around those scenes (like chasing Imp #2 through the wizard school, or deciding to fight the Nightwings in the belfry itself in the keep).

Dang. That is way more prep than I generally bother with, but it's good to know you can run DW without it going to waste.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

The Supreme Court posted:

ETA on the Brute + Alchemist: tomorrow! I've also got a real desire to run a PBP game now that I've got some spare time, and one that goes all out! Thinking a bunch of adventurers breaking into hades/ elysium to steal from the gods. It's going to be really short though; only five weeks, so ideal for testing classes/ crazy ideas. Let me know if you want anything tried out from the GM side! I'd love to see how the Brute/ Alchemist play, so if anyone fancies giving one of them a shot that'd be cool.

I'll happily give one of them a go, never tried PBP before but it sounds like fun!

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
I'd be down to play The Brute PBP. Almost had a player use it in a game started today, but they went with gladiator instead.

edit: Looks like I was thinking of TheSupremeCourt's Brute, but offer still stands.

Lunatic Pathos fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 27, 2013

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!
I was looking to play Fenarisk's Pariah in an upcoming game; however, the link only returns one page. Is there a second page or is this still a work in progress?

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Glazius posted:

Well, I'm just thinking there are characters who can potentially have 6 armor all the time (plate + shield + paladin/fighter advanced moves), and doing it half-before-armor makes them pretty much invincible.

Thats what makes Defend, and by extention, CON so great in Dungeon world. But keep in mind, while defending, that paladin/fighter can only deal damage equal to his level at the cost of 1 hold, on top of that, it will take 1 hold to redirect the attack to yourself, then a third hold to reduce the damage. That's all three hold for getting a 10+ in just a single attack, so you have to decide how to spend your resources.

Besides the fact that someone with 6 armor would be nigh invincible, (you'd need 'ignore armor' or some serious piercing and high damage to get through it in the first place) defending is what the paladin and fighter SHOULD be amazing at. So it makes sense that a super tank wouldn't take any damage for blocking a blow for someone else.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
I posted awhile back about my group and their wizard school campaign - well, we had a session of it last night.

The Houses:

Frogswoller: "The Beautiful Wizards of Tomorrow, Today" Colors: Green/Purple

Wyvernwood: "Honor. Blood. Obedience" Colors: Dark Blue/Black

Wolftalon

Ravenrock

Cast:

Morthos Darkweave: Wyvernwood House, really into potions. (Witch)

Ziggy Zeref: Frogswoller House, really into making friends. Wants to campaign for Frogswoller Prefect. (The Fool)

Zinj Wyatt: Wyvernwood House, really into discipline. Is an older student and prefect. (The Spellslinger)

Bramble Peppernest: Frogswoller House, in school on an exchange program from the Fae Realm, is mischievous. (The Fae)

The session started with the weekend. Finally, free time to do whatever they want! My students decided that this was the weekend for the first game of the ARCANABALL season, and it just so happened to be Frogswoller vs. Wyvernwood.

What is ARCANABALL (it has to be in all caps because it's so extreme), you ask? Well, good question! I have no idea! We knew the name of the game and that it was basically quidditch, only not. So here's what it ended up being with everybody pitching in:

- It works like capture the flag

- There are 7 positions on each team: 2 forwards, 4 defenders, and a "catcher"

- There are 4 neutral towers around the arena that the catchers must activate 15 minutes into the game. 2 towers on each team's side of the field. Any catcher can activate any tower. Once it's taken, it's taken for the remainder of the game. The towers attack the team members of the opposite team which activated them.

- Anything goes :black101:

- Each game is themed, and the teams don't know the theme until they enter the arena.

- The flags are orbs which dispel magic cast on them, and dispel magic on anything they touch or anyone who is holding one.

The theme for this game was "The Mountains of Cragfire Pass" so when they walked into the arena they saw that the ground was craggy and sulfurous, with jets of lava and a lava river through the middle. There was also a team colored dragon guarding each team's orb and 12ft tall stone golems wandering the field. It was pretty awesome.

This was the theme when they started playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9nlCz1Me2U

OK, as promised, here is a little more about (not) Harry Potter World.

When it came to PvP, I found it initially a little difficult. Most of the time I had the other team's defenders or forwards doing something to make the players react. This included things like the towers and environmental obstacles. Every now and then, however, the players would want to do something to each other. Most of the time what they did triggered the interfere move, because no lasting magic could be cast on a player holding the orb. This allowed the players to shoot the orb out of other players' hands and then an NPC would fly by, grabbing it. That sort of stuff.

We played until both teams had a tie. Frogswoller and Wyvernwood had both scored, and we were nearing the end of our session, so one player said "let's roll for the outcome."

Ok, sounds good! I told them all to roll 2d6 and that we'd tally it up. House with highest die roll cinches the victory.

Wyvernwood rolls: Darkweave rolls an 8 and Wyatt a 5

Frogswoller rolls: Zeref rolls... an 8! Wow, now all Peppernest has to do is roll higher than a 5. Spoiler alert, I'm sure you've guessed exactly what he rolled: 5

The table erupted and it was hilarious. The cheers and jeers and laughter was amazing. After such a hard fought game, it STILL ended up like a drat soccer match. I ended up giving a quick flyby for the rest of the match.

- It went on for 6 hard-fought hours

- At one point someone was actually riding a dragon

- Most of both teams ended up in the infirmary (Darweave actually did because he tried to outmaneuver a goalie dragon and got beat the hell up due to some bad rolls)

- Galvin Cragg, the little gnome defender who was turned to stone at the beginning of the match, remained stone for the entire 6 hour game.

- End tie score? 2 points

Now what we're thinking is that the school will get the best players for all the houses at some point to play on the school team against other schools. This is going to be awesome and I can't wait.

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 29, 2013

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

zarathud posted:

I was looking to play Fenarisk's Pariah in an upcoming game; however, the link only returns one page. Is there a second page or is this still a work in progress?

No I just never made advanced moves, and haven't been able to really touch any RPG related materials for over a month since I'm finalizing another project/novel. I'll probably not get to the cleaned up main moves/advanced moves until this week at work since there will be a strike going on.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

That's awesome, Boing, Lunatic Pathos and zarathud! Zarathud, it'd be quite cool to see how the class functions am happy to see how the basics work and add in advanced moves later?, I'll have a thread up tomorrow. Definitely going for over-the-top DW.

The Harry Potter dungeon world game sounds great! Definitely love to hear how the PvP worked out, as I reckon DW is more suited to it than is generally reckoned; a few of us tried it in PbP in the pirate game quite some time ago and, though it was kinda hard, it definitely worked! I wrote myself a guide for it at the time and have expanded gradually into my notebook of half-baked DW ideas and scribbles. I've been thinking about tying it together into a coherent game addon!

The way we tried it was to present the instant situation, collect all the players choices and rolls, then try to mash them together as a seamless single narrative. Significantly more proscriptive than normal dming , but ended with quite cool results! I've since standardised a bunch of the results and roll-offs to make a more strict system, but it's quite untested, probably horribly balanced and a step towards a more dice based game, though the narrative is still king.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 28, 2013

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
So we just had a quick one-shot session out of the blue and it was a hilarious crapfest (half the time our GM tried to communicate with us, it was through uncontrollable laughter). Our cast!

Woomod as the benevolent and easily-amused GM
Caphi as Celestus, young Human Paladin recently graduated from paladin-school and very serious about his business;
Jetrauben as Yriel, a Human Cursed Knight who served in the army with a cursed sword and has some sordid (and maybe or maybe not obscene) history with Celestus;
Elfgames as Fenfaril, a Forest-focus Elven Mage who...well, see below;
and Wahad as Lip, the Brownie Fae who is attached to Celestus' household but hasn't seen him since he went to paladin school and is now travelling with him for a time as his indentured servant;

We start in the very opulent and lavishly decorated offices of Sir Pinglekins Fluffy Winklebottom III, owner of the nearby tuna-canning factory who has hired the services of the party to investigate the strange noises in his factory that have been scaring his workers away. Celestus, naturally eager to defend the weak from the inequities that beset them (his words, not mine) gets some dramatic lighting and mood music as he swears a divine oath to protect the factory. Arriving at the factory, Lip has a quick look around, but before he can notify the rest about the trapdoor that he found, Yriel has already fallen through it.

The trapdoor leads to a cellar, where the party stumbles upon a few crates filled with a musky, minty plantmatter. Fenfaril, naturally interested in all matters vegetative, creates a teeny tiny musky-mint golem, who was adorable. Meanwhile, the two armored men investigate, and come to the conclusion that the basement leads into a tunnel, which leads to a small cove. There's some tracks there, as well, which lead them to believe that there have been people smuggling things in. Specifically, they denote two different kind of tracks - cat paws (have I mentioned that this is a town of sapient cats? Yeah.) and "something slithery". Lip heads out to the cove, dips his head underwater and talks to some fish swimming nearby, who tell him that a "nice lady" has been doing business with some cats in the cove.

Now on the trail of something suspicious, the party decides to set up an ambushstake out the factory (as commanded by Celestus, who had a Vow of Honor for his quest) and wait for the smugglers. The two ruffians show up and Celestus commands them with divine authority to stop and tell him the truth, which they do. Lip helpfully tells them that he saw Celestus hurt a cat once (this was before he was a Paladin, but they don't need to know that). The cat smugglers get terrified and tell them all about the operation. Fenfaril finally figures out that the musky-mint is actually catnip. It has been supplied by a mermaid who goes by the name of Nami, and she'll show up with another drop soon.

Now sitting on a big pile of illegal catdrugs, the party has a talk on what to do it. And by the party, I mean mostly Celestus and Yriel. Yriel, you see, is quite lawful despite his curse, and votes to destroy the catnip ASAP. Celestus, on the other hand, has forgotten how catnip works, and thinks that selling the catnip will create a peaceful state in the cat village, and peace and prosperity are some of his God's tenets. After helpfully reminded by Lip that catnip does not, in fact, chill cats out, Celestus and Yriel finally agree to destroy their (and Lip's, since anything he possesses is technically Celestus') share. Fenfaril, however, has no such noble intentions, and makes mad bank on his share of catnip to the tune of 200 coins.

Still, there is the problem of the supplier - the mysterious mermaid Nami. How she grew the catnip nobody can quite figure out, but la, they wait for her after Celestus swears a very serious oath to Stop the Mermaid Catnip Cartel(tm). After two days, Nami shows up. Lip quickly allays her suspicions (after all, they are not cats), and gets her to approach quickly enough for Celestus to ruin the ruse and start asking questions with dramatic mood lighting and an echo-y voice. Nami lies through her teeth. Yriel broods a bit, and threatens to destroy her boat if she does not cooperate. Fenfaril proceeds to actually make good on the threat through magic and dissolves the boat she brought the catnip on (after contemplating the taste of mermaid out loud). Nami, understandably bummed out, tries to leave but gets cursed by Lip, who takes her gills away and puts forth an ultimatum; to tell master Celestus what he wants to know, and she will get her gills back.

Nami proceeds to reveal that the cats, who - naturally - fish a lot for food, occasionally fish up members of the Mermaid nations belonging to the Triton League, and eat them anyway. The League, enraged by this proposition, started smuggling catnip into the city to make the cats vulnerable to attack and/or genocide. Celestus, quite taken by the plight of criminals, puts on his best idealistic smile and tells her that he will facilitate talks between the League and the Cat Council so that the issue can be resolved as reasonable menpeople with humanoid torsossentient beings creatures. Nami, not entirely convinced, gets her gills back from Lip through a gesture of good faith by Celestus and escapes immediately, despite warnings by Yriel and Fenfaril to the contrary.

Returning to Sir Pinglekins Fluffy Winklebottom III, the party reveals what's going on. Sir Winklebottom, understandably surprised, nonetheless rewards them for their initial job (clearing out the factory) with 500 coins each, then heads off to inform the Cat Council, and that was the end of the session.

Dungeon World, everybody.

Wahad fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 29, 2013

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Wooh! My copy of Dungeon World arrived today!

I'm gonna plan to run something one weekend coming up (although I'm buy every weekend for the next month, so...

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Recruitment thread up for Dungeon World: Ragnarok

quote:

The world shook five times as something tore five jagged chunks out of Yggdrasil, the world tree. Its sap rains down on Earth along with Titans of death and destruction, freed from their imprisonment in the world tree's roots.

But worse is yet to come. The noise has woken all of the gods, those long-forgotten by humanity and worse. They ready their legions and watch as the world tree -and all her barriers- bleeds.

You are the greatest hero/ mercenary/ villain the world has ever seen. It's time to break in to hell (or worse!) and stop Ragnarok. Or if you'd prefer, join the winning side...

Boing, Lunatic Pathos and zarathud, I'd love if you wanted to play! edit: brute + alchemist docs up in a biiiiiit.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 29, 2013

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'd be interested to play, though I'm not in the USA, so it may not work too well - could you let me know how I can do so?

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

I'm in the UK! That's not important though, as we'll just be playing via posting in these forums, rather than skype or roll20 etc. Sorry, I should have said!

It is significantly slower than face-to-face and does tend to bunch your actions very marginally (as people generally post about once a day) but it's still really good fun. The extra time means nobody gets left out, and as it's all written you get some really cool descriptions from people and a coherent narrative!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Sounds fine to me. Let me know the details! I don't have PMs, but iamthespaceinvader at gmail dot com

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

I've written up a first draft of my Alchemist class

It's based around making potions with tags (e.g. electric, freezing, flaming) and then using specific skills to extrapolate those tags into crazy fiction.

The core skills are:
Concoct: make the potions!
Imbibe: transform the alchemist using one of the potion tags. E.g. ice armour, electrical blood, flaming eyes
Voodoo: drink the potion to inflict its tags on an enemy.
Herbalist: find potion ingredients
Belch: Vapourise a potion into a cloud of violent power. E.g. firebreathing, ice bridges, lightning welding

I had transmute (change an object's element temporarily) as a core skill, and though it's probably more versatile than voodoo I'm not sure if it's as fun. Definitely want advice on this! I also think I'm lacking quite a few advanced skills; several are just plain unlocks for more tags, is that ok?
The advanced skills are also organised slightly differently. They're split into three rough groups. Each group has a minor permanent bonus and a locked skill. When you learn a skill from a group you gain that group's permanent bonus and also access to the locked skill to purchase later.

Also cheers for the address spaceinvader, sent you an email!

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 30, 2013

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.
So, I was looking around for anime hacks of FATE Accelerated because I'm thinking of running a session at an upcoming anime convention (I'm also running some DW there). While looking for that, I came across this idea for using Fudge dice in Dungeon World, and was curious what y'all think of it: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?687615-Fate-Accelerated-hacking-to-import-features-of-Dungeon-World

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

RSIxidor posted:

So, I was looking around for anime hacks of FATE Accelerated because I'm thinking of running a session at an upcoming anime convention (I'm also running some DW there). While looking for that, I came across this idea for using Fudge dice in Dungeon World, and was curious what y'all think of it: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?687615-Fate-Accelerated-hacking-to-import-features-of-Dungeon-World

If I'm understanding it correctly that thread looks more like they're hacking DW style results onto the FATE system then using FUDGE dice for DW. Which I don't see any issues with, the FATE system is already pretty close in that respect to begin with.

The idea of using FUDGE dice for DW seems kinda silly to me though, why use special dice to accomplish something that has already been designed to work with regular old six sided dice that everyone already owns?

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Bucnasti posted:

The idea of using FUDGE dice for DW seems kinda silly to me though, why use special dice to accomplish something that has already been designed to work with regular old six sided dice that everyone already owns?

Well, I can definitely see the appeal of going for a simpler number system (6-, 7-9, and 10+ aren't hard, mind you, but negative, 0-1, 2+, or whatever their proposed system, is a tad more elegant).

wrl
Sep 17, 2004
omg<3kittens
Hoping to get a one shot going tomorrow afternoon over Google Hangout. Noon to 4 EST. If you are interested, check this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jonathan Walton has a few remaining scoutbook copies of Dark Heart of the Dreamer available for $10 anywhere in the world.

http://corvidsun.com/2013/07/27/dark-heart-of-the-dreamer-print/