Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

haljordan posted:

Why is baseball the sport where, much more than the others, the people voting for Hall of Famers want more attention than the actual athletes? The amount of self-serving lazy articles that get spewed out every year is so incredibly awful.

It's a mystery. Basketball has a big hall so no one cares if you're making a point, and the NFL hall of fame just reflects the skewed priorities of the average fan (all QBs, winners only)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

haljordan posted:

Why is baseball the sport where, much more than the others, the people voting for Hall of Famers want more attention than the actual athletes? The amount of self-serving lazy articles that get spewed out every year is so incredibly awful.

Baseball has always been dominated by the written word rather than through images since the early days of the game (mainly because baseball has been around since like forever). Old-timey baseball articles were always written with a certain reverence toward the game with a touch of editorial proselytizing and these writers passed on the smarmy self-importance rather than the quality writing.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Want to see a hilariously melodramatic article written about Ryan Braun and PEDs in which the author is dead loving serious the entire time?

Then click here!

click here for the soundtrack!

A choice exerpt:

Joe Strauss at Peak Emo posted:

Its credibility shot, Braun’s show is all but over. All that’s left of the gutless act is an orchestrated presser in which he again looks soulfully at his audience while offering a soulful apology. Perhaps this time he’ll entertain questions. Who knows? Maybe he’ll grope for a kernel of truth within a sack of prevarication.

Cut me. Cut me. I can’t wait.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Baseball also lends itself to discussions of numbers and milestones because of the nature of the game. I bet a lot more of you know what 2130/2632 or 714/755/762 means than know what 297 or 508 means in football (personally I know the baseball ones by heart and had to look up the football ones).

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Without looking them up, is that Gehrig/Ripken consecutive game streaks, the home run records from Bonds, Ruth and Aaron and the football ones are consecutive games started (Favre) and touchdown passes (Favre again?)?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

haljordan posted:

Without looking them up, is that Gehrig/Ripken consecutive game streaks, the home run records from Bonds, Ruth and Aaron and the football ones are consecutive games started (Favre) and touchdown passes (Favre again?)?

Yes.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

People also forget that CBS broadcasts golf which might be the biggest money sport in the whole world.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Politicalrancor posted:

People also forget that CBS broadcasts golf which might be the biggest money sport in the whole world.

They broadcast The Masters which is about prestige, not money. Augusta National leaves tons on the table in the name of control.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

They broadcast The Masters which is about prestige, not money. Augusta National leaves tons on the table in the name of control.

They broadcast PGA events all the time and get that sweet, sweet Buick money.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

Remember the year they ran the Masters with no ads at all as a very mature "gently caress You" to the groups protesting the tournament because at that time they didn't admit women?

Krispy Kremepie
Mar 23, 2005

Inside......Me....
Is there anyone on ESPN.com worth reading anymore or should I continue to avoid that site like the plague?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Floridiot posted:

Is there anyone on ESPN.com worth reading anymore or should I continue to avoid that site like the plague?

Wright Thompson

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
There's plenty of good stuff on there but it's mostly behind the Insider wall (although you can get that really cheaply with the discounted ESPN Magazine subscriptions that pop up all the time). Just off the top of my head: Keith Law, the Football Outsiders crew, Kevin Pelton, and John Gasaway (actually their college basketball coverage in general tends to be pretty good, but he's the best of the bunch).

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

MourningView posted:

(actually their college basketball coverage in general tends to be pretty good).

Not just pretty good, really good. That Jason King guy is kind of awful but the rest of the staff is real sharp and they absolutely own news on some of the top programs (like Robbi Pickeral, who practically has her own locker at UNC).

SI has good writers in Seth Davis and Andy Glockner but they don't have the volume of ESPN.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
Good ESPN story
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9452014/pitcher-tomohiro-anraku-future-japanese-baseball-espn-magazine

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Here's a piece that the New Yorker ran on Emile Griffith. http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/07/boxing-emile-griffith-benny-paret-death-madison-square-garden.html

It reminds me of old school boxing writing, which happens to be my favorite kind of sports journalism.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

Here's a piece that the New Yorker ran on Emile Griffith. http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/07/boxing-emile-griffith-benny-paret-death-madison-square-garden.html

It reminds me of old school boxing writing, which happens to be my favorite kind of sports journalism.

I saw a piece on that fight on ESPN last night. Does any boxing career have a happy ending ever? :(

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

haljordan posted:

I saw a piece on that fight on ESPN last night. Does any boxing career have a happy ending ever? :(

George Foreman seems to be blissfully senile. :unsmith:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

haljordan posted:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--Big George did take a decade off, which probably helped a lot

haljordan posted:

Not many, especially the great ones since they tend to keep fighting for so long. Out of the guys known for their chins the last I knew I think Marvin Hagler was doing ok, maybe? It wouldn't surprise me to find out that I'm dead wrong on that :(

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Grittybeard posted:

^^--Big George did take a decade off, which probably helped a lot

Not many, especially the great ones since they tend to keep fighting for so long. Out of the guys known for their chins the last I knew I think Marvin Hagler was doing ok, maybe? It wouldn't surprise me to find out that I'm dead wrong on that :(

George Foreman also only fought 350 rounds despite having 81 matches. The key to a long and successful post-boxing career is to knock dudes out.

Also I think Hagler is doing well. Tried the acting thing for a while then went to retire in Italy, where I assume he's doing okay.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I can never get far when I try to look up Hagler because one of the first links is The War (evidence of that chin I was talking about if anyone wants it there) and I always just watch that.

Also on boxers and bad endings it's worth noting that Griffith seemed to be doing fairly well himself at first. For those who aren't familiar with him Emile was bisexual. He wasn't out during his career of course (in the 60's) but it was kind of an open secret from what I've been able to gather. Anyway he was beaten badly outside of a gay club in 1992 by some random guys and ended up in a hospital for two months. It was supposedly only after that when he started having problems with dementia. So in theory it's possible he would have been ok quite a while longer if that never happened.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

haljordan posted:

Does this count?

I can't remember where it was posted but there was a fantastic article on how much of a piece of work Hector "Macho" Camacho was.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Wright Thompson

oh neat I'll go ahead and check hi-

https://twitter.com/wrightthompson/status/359650958390734848

@wrighthompson posted:

Would this be an effective PED punishment? Immediate lifetime ban and erasure of all records: You weren't ever a big leaguer.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That seems to be working with Aaron Hernandez. No other football players have executed someone in the last month. :smugdog:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Oh well if he has one bad opinion then nevermind.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Some folks over at Deadspin take a look at what Sportscenter covered last year:

http://deadspin.com/what-i-learned-...dium=socialflow

quote:

CUMULATIVE STATISTICS (2012)
Total time: 23,052.75 minutes
Time (minus commercials): 17,361.25
NFL: 4,046.25 (23.3%)
NBA: 3,330.5 minutes (19.2%)
MLB: 2,916.5 (16.8%)
SportsCenter staples**: 2,289 (13.2%)
College football: 1,329.75 (7.7%)
College basketball: 1,181.25 (6.8%)
Golf: 580.75 (3.3%)
NHL: 459.5 (2.7%)
NASCAR: 362.25 (2.1%)
Other***: 315 (1.8%)
Soccer: 217.75 (1.3%)
Olympics: 166.5 (.9%)
Tennis: 166.25 (.9%)

** Includes things like the "Top 10," "Encore," "What 2 Watch 4," etc.
*** Sports included cycling, lacrosse, Little League baseball, college hockey, arena football, softball, extreme sports, drag racing, Formula One, and IndyCar.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Kalli posted:

I would love to see a breakdown of "Other", because I'm sure 99% of that is Little League World Series.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
I'd also like to see a breakdown of how much coverage each team gets in the MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL numbers.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kalli posted:

Hockey got more coverage than NASCAR what? Didn't expect that at all. Suck it NASCAR :smug:

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Deathlove posted:

I would love to see a breakdown of "Other", because I'm sure 99% of that is Little League World Series.

I assumed poker and bowling, seems like I still find them on every now and again.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Auto racing truly used to be ESPN's bread and butter. NASCAR especially.

Whatever happened between now...and 2002, well, they certainly ditched that philosophy.

I'd go on a further rant about this, but I think the great LASTCAR sums up my feelings on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdyoYbzZ6k0

Deathlove posted:

Yup. Don't doubt that for a second.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

The first time I read this I couldn't figure out why he wanted all Erasure records removed. Give a little respect to 'em dude

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

BasicFunk posted:

I'd also like to see a breakdown of how much coverage each team gets in the MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL numbers.

The graphs have some information that lets you pretty easily figure out which dots the Cowboys / Giants are vs the Titans / Jaguars, or Heat / Lakers vs anyone else at least, but yeah, definitely wouldn't mind seeing more information.

DOOP posted:

Hockey got more coverage than NASCAR what? Didn't expect that at all. Suck it NASCAR :smug:

Yeah, looking at the breakdown, there's a titanic gulf between the big two in college and Golf which seems to show a pretty clear delineation in their programming.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 26, 2013

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Kalli posted:

quote:

Oh, sports pundit's beloved descriptors, you never disappoint us. The first surge in "elite" came after Super Bowl XLVI, during the ensuing discussion about Eli Manning and whether or not he was, er, elite. The second occurred during Peyton Manning's free agency, when ESPN debated if he was still a top-tier quarterback. ("Elite" had a very strong correlation with football, specifically quarterbacks.) "Clutch" tended to span across all sports, but usage peaked in relation to LeBron James after the Miami Heat won their first title, leading to the brief retirement of the LeBron-as-choker narrative and the consequent ascension of the one presenting him as a clutch god.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

FuzzySkinner posted:

Auto racing truly used to be ESPN's bread and butter. NASCAR especially.

Whatever happened between now...and 2002, well, they certainly ditched that philosophy.

I'd go on a further rant about this, but I think the great LASTCAR sums up my feelings on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdyoYbzZ6k0

Yup. Don't doubt that for a second.

I'm honestly curious as to why you care so much about whether or not Sportscenter covers the sports you like.

I guess I don't know why so many people still care.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Kalli posted:

My honest takeaway was "who cares? Who watches SportsCenter?"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I cannot remember the last time I saw Sportscenter that I wasn't in a waiting room or restaurant or something.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Deadspin spends a shitload of time covering SportsCenter and the internal workings of ESPN. I guess someone cares but it sure isn't me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah there is a lot of poo poo to call ESPN out on but Deadspin's coverage of them comes off as so weird and petty sometimes that I frequently find myself in the strange position of rooting for an organization that builds an entire hour of programing around Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith yelling outrageous things at each other.

And that breakdown of what they devote time on Sportscenter to doesn't even seem that outrageous to me. I would guess that if anything their average viewer would prefer a much more NFL centric show.