Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

should we buy a cheap for-school printer and use third party printing services?
Generally this is the correct answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Generally this is the correct answer.

I concur. A decent duplexing, networkable, black and white laser printer will set you back about $130 including an OEM replacement toner for when the starter toner runs out. Your cost per page for printing school work on a photo printer would be astronomical compared to the entry level laser printer.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I still have and use an antique HP4L (with duplex unit!) and it's been my best IT-related buy ever. Was close to 10 years old when I got it for almost free, and it's been trucking along ever since.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Yup, that's the way to go. I have a little Brother HL-2140 (non network model), as do many of my family members. They have all been rock solid, and whatever model of theirs suits you gets my thumbs-up. It's pretty cheap to operate and it's always ready to go.

It's a small thing, but I also really appreciate that Brother just gives you the driver. You can get a 10mb zip with the driver from the website, whereas with most HP stuff you have to gently caress around with 200mb universal driver packages. I wish 200mb was a joke, it's not.

I picked up a real cheap color laser at a surplus sale, and I think current models are sub-$300 nowadays. If you have occasional color printing needs (reports, etc, not photos) that's not a bad option too. Unlike a jet printer, it will never have the heads get crapped up or waste a shitload of ink in a cleaning cycle. However, even in B+W mode it will probably cost a bit more per page than a straight up B+W model though.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 26, 2013

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks for the advice everyone, third party photo printing it is.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I have a canon 60D, with no external flash. I've been meaning to give RealFlashes a try for a while now, and want to shoot some portraits on the cheap in the near future.

I buy a lot of gadgets I'm really enthusiastic about and then end up never using as much as I thought I would, so I'd like to keep this low cost - but I also don't want to pay for junk that I'll find completely inadequate in like 6 months when I discover I really love using speedlights.

so, I've been looking at off brands, which have pretty good amazon reviews. I just don't know enough about what I'm eventually going to want to use to get a feel for specific models.

I think I want something with ETTL wireless capabilities, and something that'd be good enough to bounce off an umbrella for indoor people-pictures and photos of food. anyone got any cautions or recommendations? I think I don't understand enough about ETTL to know which models are claiming ETTL and not delivering, and which are the real deal.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you want TTL wireless it's not going to be cheap.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

nielsm posted:

If you want TTL wireless it's not going to be cheap.

I'm guessing thing like this http://www.amazon.com/YongNuo-YN-468-E-TTL-Speedlite-Display/dp/B00660H6KU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top are only ttl on the hotshoe?

I mean I'd pay $200 for the Canon 270EX II or the 320EX, but I'm having a hard time interpreting if they do wireless ttl too. And then at least with the 270EX II, I'd wonder if it'd be worthwhile in my envisioned umbrella-bounce setup.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

As far as I know, Canon doesn't have an optically triggered wireless system, meaning all wireless triggering has to be done by radio. It's the radio triggers that support TTL that are expensive.

Scratch that, Canon does have optical TTL control.
But no, don't expect off-brand flashes to support that, especially not cheap ones. They will typically have two optically triggered modes, a simple where they fire as soon as they see another flash fire, and a TTL-compensated one where they attempt to guess when a pre-flash is going on and only fire for the real exposure. Both of those would still be pure manual control on the flash itself.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 27, 2013

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Off camera TTL flash is dumb. Buy a cheap manual flash and some equally cheap radio slaves and spend the money you save on stands/modifiers that aren't poo poo.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

8th-samurai posted:

Off camera TTL flash is dumb. Buy a cheap manual flash and some equally cheap radio slaves and spend the money you save on stands/modifiers that aren't poo poo.

So something like that cheap YongNuo or this (http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-YN-56...canon+speedlite) I posted would be fine? I'm fine with foregoing the off camera ttl and doing exposure adjustment manually if auto ttl isn't really that helpful or reliable, I just really don't know enough about the quality of flashes to know what cheap flashes would be underpowered or whatever.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Yongnuo is good poo poo, and that's a good price. There's a newer model out, the 560iii, that has a built in radio reciever to use with trigers (so you don't have to stick the flash on top of a receiver to use it off camera if you aren't optically triggering) but that's cheap enough that you could buy a radio trigger kit down the line with the difference. Or using the money to buy some eeneloop batteries so you aren't buying aa's every week for it.

According to amazon I've been using my 560ii for over a year now, still works great.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

mindphlux posted:

So something like that cheap YongNuo or this (http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-YN-56...canon+speedlite) I posted would be fine? I'm fine with foregoing the off camera ttl and doing exposure adjustment manually if auto ttl isn't really that helpful or reliable, I just really don't know enough about the quality of flashes to know what cheap flashes would be underpowered or whatever.

Auto TTL is plenty reliable, you just don't really need it and would be better off spending money on useful stuff.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
The champion of off camera TTL is Joe McNally. Who also happens to be sponsored by Nikon and gets all his poo poo for free. Off camera TTL is hella expensive and you don't need it.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Before I give my option on ettl, I'd like to say that getting a cheapo manual flash is a good place to start in the off camera lighting world. I think you'll get a better understanding of how use a flash by shooting in manual for awhile.

With that said, ettl is great and it really isn't expensive to get off camera ettl if you go the wired route (check out flash zebra). ETTL is a must have for me when I'm running and gunning.Usually, all ill have to adjust is the compensation up or down. If you're planning on shooting people,dicking around in manual can be trying on a person's patience. This is especially true if you're moving from scene to scene. Aside from that, if you still need/want to shoot in manual, Canon gives you full control of your flashes on the back of your camera if you have a ettl cord. This helps a lot if your flash is up in a stand wrapped up in modifiers.

As for flashes I can't comment on 3rd party ettl since I've never used one. However the 430ex ii is a great flash and isn't break the bank expensive. It's a good place to start and provides a nice complement to any future flashes you may buy.

As for wireless ettl, that's where things get expensive. Optical triggering is built into some cameras but it's generally a pain in the rear end to use and very unreliable. For radio wireless ttl, it's going to cost around $200 extra per flash plus another $200 for a transmitter. Getting a long ttl cord is cheap and works great.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Awesome! Thank you all so much for your unanimous and pretty firm guidance. Ordered the $59 flash, and I'm sure I'll be happier that way anyways. Would much rather learn about off camera flash first then shell out for ETTL later if its not that big a deal.

As much as I think I might be running and gunning, I probably never actually will, so futzing around with exposures is probably fine for the price.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

mindphlux posted:

Awesome! Thank you all so much for your unanimous and pretty firm guidance. Ordered the $59 flash, and I'm sure I'll be happier that way anyways. Would much rather learn about off camera flash first then shell out for ETTL later if its not that big a deal.

As much as I think I might be running and gunning, I probably never actually will, so futzing around with exposures is probably fine for the price.

Even if you need to run and gun learning how to set a flash isn't that hard, just takes some practice and maybe double checking your guide numbers.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I've just been given a video camera lens, I'm wondering if it can be fitted to my crop sensor Canon.

It says "FUJINON Aspheric 16x TV ZOOM LENS" on the side, and it's 6.7-107mm.

Basically I don't know what the hell I'm doing and pretty much only have two different kit lenses, so this lens looks awesome. I don't know what that mount style is, and I don't know what those two rings on the bottom do, either (the MACRO ring and the one it's attached to). I guess extra focusing options or something that help with macro photography?

Here have some pictures

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

ante posted:

I've just been given a video camera lens, I'm wondering if it can be fitted to my crop sensor Canon.

Basically I don't know what the hell I'm doing and pretty much only have two different kit lenses, so this lens looks awesome. I don't know what that mount style is, and I don't know what those two rings on the bottom do, either (the MACRO ring and the one it's attached to). I guess extra focusing options or something that help with macro photography?

Here have some pictures

6.7mm to 107mm? Holy hell.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I just got the Tamrom 17-50 and the zoom ring goes the way Nikons do, which is the total opposite to how Canon lenses go, and holy hell is that going to mess with my brain.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

ante posted:

Here have some pictures

That's probably a B4 mount, so you'd need something like this to mount it: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/854164-REG/MTF_Services_Ltd_MTB4CANEF_B4_2_3_to_CANON.html

That lens isn't made to cover a very large sensor, and has a real short flange distance, so it's not well suited to adapt to much.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

HookShot posted:

I just got the Tamrom 17-50 and the zoom ring goes the way Nikons do, which is the total opposite to how Canon lenses go, and holy hell is that going to mess with my brain.

I have that lens too, with a Nikon body, and I completely forgot that Canon goes the other way. Guess I made the right choice :smugdog:

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

ante posted:

Basically I don't know what the hell I'm doing and pretty much only have two different kit lenses, so this lens looks awesome. I don't know what that mount style is, and I don't know what those two rings on the bottom do, either (the MACRO ring and the one it's attached to). I guess extra focusing options or that help with macro photography?

That thing is most likely designed to cover a 2/3rds sensor sitting about 3cm from the back of it so in short you won't be able to mount it. The extra ring is more likely back focus adjustment.

EDIT. The long answer is that you'll get massive vignetting if you can find a way to mount it, it may be worth it as a gimmick but you won't be using your whole sensor.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 29, 2013

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

404notfound posted:

I have that lens too, with a Nikon body, and I completely forgot that Canon goes the other way. Guess I made the right choice :smugdog:

Doesn't the focus ring go the wrong way though?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Thanks, dudes.

The reason I have that lens is that I got given an old decommissioned speed camera (in the original housing (that has window wipers on the glass window)), and the lens is off the Hitachi CCTV camera. Maybe I'll see if I can get that working, could still be pretty cool.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to find out more information on products listed on KEH?

Is the results here for the IS version or non-is version?
http://www.keh.com/search?store=cam...eprice=0&r=SE&e

Edit: OK, after checking B&H's website I'm assuming its the non-IS version otherwise that is stupidly cheap.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 30, 2013

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Non-IS. They list "IS" when it has IS. And the IS is ~$400 more expensive.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I have the feeling to use all primes. I rather like the simplicity. Someone tell me I am stupid.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Not at all. Lug em all around and never fear the darkness. And get really fast at changing lenses.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Miko posted:

Not at all. Lug em all around and never fear the darkness. And get really fast at changing lenses.

I think I am going to force myself to think before changing lenses. Move my feet, frame it better, etc. I really need to think a lot more, and not being able to just zoom in like a madman will be a good thing. I like my nifty fifty, just wish the manual focus ring wasn't so blasted small.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Get a sigma 30 1.4. Since we bought that lens it hasn't come off the camera.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Hdip posted:

Can't use the 30 since I recently went with FF, looking at the 35 1.4 for a down the road purchase.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Hdip posted:

srsly. I can't believe that none of the major manufacturers has teamed up with Sigma to offer it as a slightly nicer kit lens for crop DSLR packages.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
If you want a nicer manual focus ring, get a MF 50 then.

Get a Nikkor MF 50 1.2 and turn your nose at those heathen autofocusers.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

voodoorootbeer posted:

srsly. I can't believe that none of the major manufacturers has teamed up with Sigma to offer it as a slightly nicer kit lens for crop DSLR packages.

They'd have to legitimize Sigma and share their AF algorithms and nooooo, not gonna happen.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I have the feeling to use all primes. I rather like the simplicity. Someone tell me I am stupid.

Primes own. Zooms are for chumps.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

voodoorootbeer posted:

Nikon has a 35/1.8 that's good enough and half the price.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

voodoorootbeer posted:

If the major manufactures had it there way sigma wouldn't be able to make any lenses for their cameras at all.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

evil_bunnY posted:

Nikon has a 35/1.8 that's good enough and half the price.

well then throw that in the kit and sponsor National loving Throw Your 18-55 Off A Bridge Day. What do I know, I'm not a marketing guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

voodoorootbeer posted:

National loving Throw Your 18-55 Off A Bridge Day.

This sounds like a fun day :munch: