Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

ought ten posted:

I found the most amazing riding in DC yesterday, the kind of place I've been dreaming of since I got my DRZ. Then I got kicked out.

Back in 2002 DC built this track for the American Le Mans, but residents of the Kingman Park neighborhood across the street got mad about the noise and had it shut down. (Check out the Wikipedia page for the neighborhood. It's just a litany of things they got mad about and forced the city to close or cancel.) The city closed the track but they didn't do anything with it. Now it's just a big parking lot with a Metro line coming out the middle of it. The track is still there, the bumpy corner things are still there. I wish I could find a better picture of it, it's wild to see.

I'd only ridden about halfway around the track before a mall cop type in a pickup motioned for me to stop and told me I couldn't be there. Just after I'd passed a perfect little ramp for practicing small jumps. It was like sumo heaven. I didn't feel like arguing with him. Now I just have to find a time when he's not around.

Go back, remove plate commence donging and run away. Don't forget to replace plate once you get done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Go back, remove plate commence donging and run away. Don't forget to replace plate once you get done.

I don't even think that's necessary. I seriously doubt the city's paying a security company to have this guy around 24 hours a day. Just have to go early in the day or later at night. And maybe get some baffles for my pipe so I'm less conspicuous to the neighbors.

e: And maybe I'll get an extra set of plastics so they don't recognize me two days in a row. Or I could do up my bike in dazzle camo so they have trouble chasing.

ought ten fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 27, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ought ten posted:

Or I could do up my bike in dazzle camo so they have trouble chasing.

"Is that one bike heading towards us, or three bikes going to the left? I can't tell!"

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

Safety Dance posted:

"Is that one bike heading towards us, or three bikes going to the left? I can't tell!"

" I can't get a lock on his speed sir!'"

"full power to the 4.6l mooter"

"AYe" ''AYE'' :""SIR""

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

If there was a good way to do the tank I would seriously consider a rattle can dazzle job. Also if I wasn't so lazy. Do the panels in alternating colors. I wouldn't even have to worry about the pattern lining up right when I put them back on.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

ought ten posted:

Back in 2002 DC built this track for the American Le Mans, but residents of the Kingman Park neighborhood across the street got mad about the noise and had it shut down.
People are the worst.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Found it on google maps. It's turned sideways on the picture.

http://goo.gl/maps/mXUsc

The world needs more hidden-in-plain-sight racetracks, like that rest stop someone posted a year back.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Zool posted:

People are the worst.

These people really are the worst examples of NIMBY. They're the reason the Skins left for Maryland. They blocked an amusement park on the island right there that was called Children's Island. An amusement park.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Is my engine meant to look like this?

A mere 75 miles from the end of our 350 mile roadtrip today, at the start of our 4 bike motorcycling holiday to sunny Scotland. First week off in over a year.

Brilliant.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Orange Someone posted:

Is my engine meant to look like this?

A mere 75 miles from the end of our 350 mile roadtrip today, at the start of our 4 bike motorcycling holiday to sunny Scotland. First week off in over a year.

Brilliant.
JB weld it up, it'll be fine.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Does anybody happen to have a good picture of where the stupid butterfly return spring is supposed to go on the DRZ400 Mikuni carb? I swear to god I've tried everything and it still doesn't loving feel right. All I was trying to do was adjust the needle clip and somehow I managed to knock the spring off it's clip/post thing while rotating the fucker. I want to just use this as an excuse to get an FCR. I really, really do.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Has anyone outside the US gotten to ride the Honda Grom/MSX125 yet? I like it's mini-sumoness and I am considering adding one to the stable. It looks like a tiny little firecracker of a bike. 125cc, FI, 4-speed, digital cluster with tach and fuel gauge, mono shock in the rear so it seems pretty well equipped for $2999.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

1,200 mile round trip on the DRZ. Good idea or best idea?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tenchrono posted:

Best idea

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tenchrono posted:

Awesome idea.

The PO of my XT660X did a 5500km Copenhagen-Nordkapp round trip on it no problem in 2011, I'm considering whether I should repeat the adventure.

Long trips on a thumper with a 5-speed? No problem.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Xt660 is like a goldwing compared to a drz, too

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
All I can recommend is going down in the back / up to a 15 in the front if you plan on doing highway a lot.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Tenchrono posted:

I would hate it on mine, but it's geared for acceleration and has 50-50 tires. Speed wobbles at 60mph makes for a lovely highway ride.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
So, did the 2013 KTM 690 SMC R actually come to the US, or is the US KTM site just a tease?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

MetaJew posted:

So, did the 2013 KTM 690 SMC R actually come to the US, or is the US KTM site just a tease?

I only see the enduro?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

I only see the enduro?

I found this link last night, but the price isn't listed. I think the GB site lists it for £7500.

http://www.ktm.com/us/supermoto/690-smc-r-eu/highlights.html

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
If I can get a WR250x, 2008, undamaged for $2,900 (with a FMF pipe, the guy doesn't know which one, he has it at his parents), and I decide I do not like it I can sell it pretty easily and break even, right? I don't see any on craigslist besides one at the dealer for 4k but it looks like they usually go for more based on advrider, etc.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Awesome idea.

The PO of my XT660X did a 5500km Copenhagen-Nordkapp round trip on it no problem in 2011, I'm considering whether I should repeat the adventure.

Long trips on a thumper with a 5-speed? No problem.

I've done 1200 km over three days on my 690 SM, had a sore ads but that was about it.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Ribsauce posted:

If I can get a WR250x, 2008, undamaged for $2,900 (with a FMF pipe, the guy doesn't know which one, he has it at his parents), and I decide I do not like it I can sell it pretty easily and break even, right? I don't see any on craigslist besides one at the dealer for 4k but it looks like they usually go for more based on advrider, etc.

Yeah, you should easily be able to get at least 3k for it pretty easily. I picked mine up for about 3400 after looking for one for a bit of time, most were going for at least 3800-4000.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Figured out the Mikuni on my DRZ. Clip richer fixed my machine gun engine brake popping but it feels like the low end isn't really there anymore. I think I'm gonna just buy an FCR from Sisneros and call it a day. I've been working 60 hour weeks to justify it to myself.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yerok posted:

Figured out the Mikuni on my DRZ. Clip richer fixed my machine gun engine brake popping but it feels like the low end isn't really there anymore. I think I'm gonna just buy an FCR from Sisneros and call it a day. I've been working 60 hour weeks to justify it to myself.

The popping is normal and you'll never get rid of it. You're probably too rich now with the clip move.

Either way, no matter how you justify it, the FCR is worth it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Safety Dance posted:

I can just see a state patrol issuing 3 tickets to a dude with dazzle camo.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I have a buddy moving out of country, so he's selling his bike. I'm considering buying it because I want a SM realbad. This is what he has to say about it

quote:

If I can sell it to someone I know I'll let it go for $3500, otherwise I'll be putting on on craigslist and forums for $4k. It has, (from memory) around 10k miles on it, almost all commuting. It's had regular oil changes done by me. It's been dropped a handful of times but it's just cosmetic damage. It's the yellow 2007 DRZ-400 SM.

Acerbis Handguards
Low profile rear lights
3x3 mod and rejet
FMF Exhaust
New DID chain
Front and Rear sprockets (15 front, 39 rear) I have the old sprockets too.
Grips (meh quality)
2 batteries (both Yuasa, different sizes, custom bracket for larger battery that's currently installed)

Rear tire looks like it's been used for only commuting, and it's wear isn't very even.
Coolant reservoir is cracked, hasn't been an issue, but I do have a replacement part if you want to fix it.
I have the parts and oil for an oil change, maybe an extra couple filters too.
Soft break pads in the rear
I have a spare tube for the rear

What are your thoughts? This seem reasonable?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Well this is embarrassing. About a week ago I went to do a standard 2nd gear clutch up...but instead of second it was in first. 12oclocked the poo poo out of it, lost my feet, but managed to hold it and bring it back down somehow. Since then I've still been clutching it up, but weak little three inchers mostly, nothing like what I'd been doing before. I'm scared, so I've just been practicing my fast offroading skills and little jumps, but want to keep expanding my hooligan skills in all directions. So today I went out to practice and learned that first gear power wheelies are like easy mode! Just cover the rear, get going ~10mph and dump the throttle and just rip it up. They pop up quickly and controllably, and while I can't hold it as long as a 2nd gear clutch up it certainly takes some of the uncertainty out of it and is much easier to get up. Kinda stoked.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

That bike is reasonable for 3500 imo.

Also, Covert Ops, go do the same thing in second. Same thing, low in 2nd gear give it a tug on the bars and gas it and it'll come right up. I don't like clutching up so I use that method. I like it a lot more. I used to be way more comfortable on the last drz with letting off the throttle a bit near the bp and clicking it into 3rd but I'm way more paranoid of getting a ticket and getting hosed now for some reason so I don't try to ride anything out.

I need to go find a deserted road and practice these!

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

JP Money posted:

Also, Covert Ops, go do the same thing in second. Same thing, low in 2nd gear give it a tug on the bars and gas it and it'll come right up. I don't like clutching up so I use that method. I like it a lot more. I used to be way more comfortable on the last drz with letting off the throttle a bit near the bp and clicking it into 3rd but I'm way more paranoid of getting a ticket and getting hosed now for some reason so I don't try to ride anything out.

I need to go find a deserted road and practice these!

I'll have to give it a shot. I just need to find a bigger parking lot.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Well this is embarrassing. About a week ago I went to do a standard 2nd gear clutch up...but instead of second it was in first. 12oclocked the poo poo out of it, lost my feet, but managed to hold it and bring it back down somehow. Since then I've still been clutching it up, but weak little three inchers mostly, nothing like what I'd been doing before. I'm scared, so I've just been practicing my fast offroading skills and little jumps, but want to keep expanding my hooligan skills in all directions. So today I went out to practice and learned that first gear power wheelies are like easy mode! Just cover the rear, get going ~10mph and dump the throttle and just rip it up. They pop up quickly and controllably, and while I can't hold it as long as a 2nd gear clutch up it certainly takes some of the uncertainty out of it and is much easier to get up. Kinda stoked.

Don't feel too bad, I did the same thing but like 5 times. I always had my foot on the rear brake thank god, but it scared the poo poo out of me when I instantly sprang up to 12 o' clock. It took me a second to realize I was in first after doing it a few times.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
How bad an idea is a 2002 660 smc? I get the feeling you really want a late model 690 for ease of maintenance, reliability and power but having a kick starter is awesome.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

High Protein posted:

How bad an idea is a 2002 660 smc? I get the feeling you really want a late model 690 for ease of maintenance, reliability and power but having a kick starter is awesome.

Until it's 95+ degrees, 95%+ humidity and the bike doesn't want to cooperate. Then it loving sucks and you'll be looking for the smallest little hill to bump start from. Unless it's track/dirt only I'll never own another kickstart only bike.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
So with the insides of my DRZ-400 E's engine deciding to come outside and play, I guess I'm going to need a new engine. I'll take it apart when I get home (recovered it and cracked on with the holiday) and see if I can see what's good/bad.

Anyone have any suggestions of decent places that engines can be acquired? Apart from the obvious ebay ...

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ought ten posted:

I found the most amazing riding in DC yesterday, the kind of place I've been dreaming of since I got my DRZ. Then I got kicked out.

Back in 2002 DC built this track for the American Le Mans, but residents of the Kingman Park neighborhood across the street got mad about the noise and had it shut down. (Check out the Wikipedia page for the neighborhood. It's just a litany of things they got mad about and forced the city to close or cancel.) The city closed the track but they didn't do anything with it. Now it's just a big parking lot with a Metro line coming out the middle of it. The track is still there, the bumpy corner things are still there. I wish I could find a better picture of it, it's wild to see.

I'd only ridden about halfway around the track before a mall cop type in a pickup motioned for me to stop and told me I couldn't be there. Just after I'd passed a perfect little ramp for practicing small jumps. It was like sumo heaven. I didn't feel like arguing with him. Now I just have to find a time when he's not around.

I remember my dad telling me about this, but never knew exactly where it was. Where is the entrance exactly? Is the pavement still smooth enough for a non-supermoto to ride on?

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm burning to get a supermoto.

Background: I've never owned my own motorcycle, but have ridden a '98 GSXR600, an '83 Sportster 883cc, a '7X 2 stroke 180cc enduro, a DRZ400 and a couple small and weak 2 stroke dirt bikes.

The worst by far was the Harley, with terrible handling, acceleration and the bike felt heavy.

The GSXR honestly felt the easiest to drive, it shifted smoothly like a car and had plenty of pep to pass on the highway. At parking lot speeds it was a bit more difficult but still better than the Harley.

The DRZ400 I only got to ride briefly in a parking lot but it felt amazing. as stable as a bicycle I almost didn't need to put a foot down to balance. I was also able to pull a little wheelie with zero effort and tons of confidence.

I love the idea of a dual sport but unfortunately it will need to be capable of doing 80 mph for 18 miles each way. My commute is almost entirely highway.

I'm looking at the dr650 and possibly a drz400, although I'm worried about it's highway manners.

Anything else I should look out for or anybody wanna convince me a dual sport is not a highway commuter?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

tesilential posted:

I'm burning to get a supermoto.

Background: I've never owned my own motorcycle, but have ridden a '98 GSXR600, an '83 Sportster 883cc, a '7X 2 stroke 180cc enduro, a DRZ400 and a couple small and weak 2 stroke dirt bikes.

The worst by far was the Harley, with terrible handling, acceleration and the bike felt heavy.

The GSXR honestly felt the easiest to drive, it shifted smoothly like a car and had plenty of pep to pass on the highway. At parking lot speeds it was a bit more difficult but still better than the Harley.

The DRZ400 I only got to ride briefly in a parking lot but it felt amazing. as stable as a bicycle I almost didn't need to put a foot down to balance. I was also able to pull a little wheelie with zero effort and tons of confidence.

I love the idea of a dual sport but unfortunately it will need to be capable of doing 80 mph for 18 miles each way. My commute is almost entirely highway.

I'm looking at the dr650 and possibly a drz400, although I'm worried about it's highway manners.

Anything else I should look out for or anybody wanna convince me a dual sport is not a highway commuter?
Drz400s sucks as a highway commuter. Speed wobbles and buzzy. The sm geared for top end might be a lot better but it'd be slow as poo poo getting there.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Until it's 95+ degrees, 95%+ humidity and the bike doesn't want to cooperate. Then it loving sucks and you'll be looking for the smallest little hill to bump start from. Unless it's track/dirt only I'll never own another kickstart only bike.

My old bike was kickstarter only and boy did I have an egg on my face when, almost passing out from exertion, I discovered the kill switch was in the off position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Drz400s sucks as a highway commuter. Speed wobbles and buzzy. The sm geared for top end might be a lot better but it'd be slow as poo poo getting there.

Agreed with this. Buying a DRZ (or almost any supermoto really) with a long commute in mind is almost setting yourself up to be unhappy and sell it. You can absolutely gear it down so that it'll top out at 95-100 but even then 80 is still higher in the revs than you want to be cruising at imo and it's not super fast at getting there (but also not that slow).

Unfortunately the better highway cruising dual sports are either heavy as poo poo (KLR's) or way more money (big KTM's, etc.).

• Locked thread