Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Loopyface posted:

Construction workers don't all make the same amount. Wanna guess who makes a pretty poo poo wage? It's the flagger. Also, it's a terrible loving job. Honestly, it's awful.

Awful/Terrible because of low wages or what? I and a lot of others don't have to stand in the crazy hot sun or rain or freezing cold for our jobs and our soft selves would consider just that to be awful but just standing there in it as opposed to bending over/standing up over and over lifting things or shoveling stuff or moving things in the nasty weather would seem to me to be lots worse. Unless the pay was great.

The guys in the heavy equipment at least get paid real good don't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mescal posted:

That's a myth, though you can buy a strobe that will turn lights green. Using one for that purpose is probably illegal everywhere by now, though.

It wasn't always a myth. Working as a delivery driver in college I used to change lights all the time by flashing my high beams but over the years they've upgraded the lights and it hasn't worked for me in some time.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Wagonburner posted:

They rotate through doing that? Get x days of traffic-duty as a perk for kicking-rear end?

Standing for 8-12 hours a day in all weather. You have to pay attention. You can't use your phone or talk to anyone. All you do is watch and turn a sign.

That sounds like a pretty painful/poo poo job.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Wagonburner posted:

I drive through the same road construction every day for a while going to work, they have southbound lane of 2 lane road shut down and have a guy on either end of the project with a walkie-talkie and a sign he can flip around to say slow or stop so they can let traffic through one direction at a time on the one lane open. I'm sure you get what I mean without that many words.

How do they pick the guys to do that? I mean on one hand I see where you as a sup would want to give that job to your fuckups and non-hackers + pay them less but on the other hand that's a pretty goddamn cush job even in the sun and rain compared to what most everyone else is doing is there. I'd be pissed if I was breaking my back while someone else is twirling a sign. It's second-best to the "guy who sits in air-conditioned truck on phone" position, a far second but also a far second from the third.

They rotate through doing that? Get x days of traffic-duty as a perk for kicking-rear end?

Where I live (Ore.) it's a small fee and a one or two-day class to get certified to be flagger. It pays quite a bit above minimum wage, but you can get run over. Hours are very inconsistent. (This is what some ex-coworkers who had done this work told me. They might have been wrong or my memory might be wrong.)

wormil posted:

It wasn't always a myth. Working as a delivery driver in college I used to change lights all the time by flashing my high beams but over the years they've upgraded the lights and it hasn't worked for me in some time.

Oh bullshit you did. In the past, you flashed your high-beams then the light changed? Then you tried it some more and realized it doesn't actually work? Yeah.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Loopyface posted:

Construction workers don't all make the same amount. Wanna guess who makes a pretty poo poo wage? It's the flagger. Also, it's a terrible loving job. Honestly, it's awful.

One of my real good friends used to be a flagger and she loved it. Not sure exactly but I remember her saying it paid more than we made at our job that we had together ($11/hour). She did it 8 or 9 years ago and she didn't seem to think it was a bad gig or bad pay.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mescal posted:

Oh bullshit you did. In the past, you flashed your high-beams then the light changed? Then you tried it some more and realized it doesn't actually work? Yeah.

I did, yes. Having done it 5 days/wk for 3 years and seen lights go from yellow - red - green in about the time it takes to read it, coinciding with my flashing, wasn't simply a series of coincidences as some internet sites would claim. Not every light would respond, whether that was because they were a different type or because the angle of approach was wrong, I'm not sure. That was 19 years ago, I now live in North Carolina and have never been successful changing lights here.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

Awful/Terrible because of low wages or what? I and a lot of others don't have to stand in the crazy hot sun or rain or freezing cold for our jobs and our soft selves would consider just that to be awful but just standing there in it as opposed to bending over/standing up over and over lifting things or shoveling stuff or moving things in the nasty weather would seem to me to be lots worse. Unless the pay was great.

The guys in the heavy equipment at least get paid real good don't they?

Would you rather A) spin a Bobcat around in circles or B) stand in one location in the sun and rain, no Internet and no distractions or idle chit chat to pass the time and flip a sign 180 degrees every 2 minutes when the other depressed dude barks in you ear as you wave you hand and quietly yell at an endless line of cars to "Keep going keep going, just drive, I know there's a stop sign but I'M HERE WAVING YOU THOUGH JUST loving DRIVE THROUGH THE GODDAMN STOP SIGN DONT ATOP YOU DIPSHIT CANT YOU SEE MY loving HANDS WAVING AT YOU AND THIS FADED SIGN SAYING TO JUST PUT YOUR LIMP DICK FOOT ON THE PEDAL AND DRIVE BEFORE I LEAP IN FRO T OF THE NEXT DUMP TRUCK DRIVING BY all while getting paid 1/4 of the other guy?

I'll take dicking around in an office for a bit.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is there a disadvantage to a premier (Buy/sell) PayPal account vs a regular (just buying) one?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Does my avatar happen to be blinking in and out every few seconds for anyone else? It does this on my phone, but I don't have this problem when viewing the actual file or the forums from my computer.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Construction flag guy is often a temp job where I live (British Columbia), but if the area you're working in is designated high risk, then you'll need a certification, which I think takes a couple of days.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Kheldragar posted:

Does my avatar happen to be blinking in and out every few seconds for anyone else? It does this on my phone, but I don't have this problem when viewing the actual file or the forums from my computer.

Its blinking on the ios app for me.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Kheldragar posted:

Watching it on Chrome on a normal laptop and it does exactly nothing.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Fists Up posted:

Its blinking on the ios app for me.

That's odd, but I guess it doesn't really matter if there's no problem with it on the PC end.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
In Outlook webmail (the new hotmail), is there any way to recover old drafts of e-mails that you've saved over? I just wrote a huge, very technical e-mail to someone, saved it as a draft, then deleted the text and starting writing a new one to the same person. It autosaved and now the old email is gone. Now I'm tearing my hair out.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Please tell me if there's a better place to ask this, but I'm looking to buy a new pair of earplugs for wearing at gigs and in clubs with crazy loud sound systems. I already have tinnitus from before I started doing this, and really don't want it to get any worse.

I bought these previously http://www.proplugs.com/ but haven't tried any other types, so was wondering if anyone had any better reccomendations?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Kheldragar posted:

This is normal for phones. Your avatar is an animated GIF, so slower computers and phones will see a break in the animated sequence every two seconds, because their CPUs are slower.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I was the parking attendant at a back entrance of a festival parking yesterday. Barely any cars came by and it sucked rear end. Sitting all day flipping a board seems like an awful job.

On another note, the festival I worked at is Tomorrowland. It's always touted itself as a huge world famous festival, but living only 10 miles away from it I never grasped the scale. But yesterday I had a huge amount of international visitors coming into the parking. I had multiple groups of Australians, Canadians, Brazilians checking in with rented cars. Now I log on YouTube and there's a link to the livestream on YouTube's mainpage. So, for people who have heard of it, how come is this festival in a small Belgian village so ridiculously popular internationally?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Please tell me if there's a better place to ask this, but I'm looking to buy a new pair of earplugs for wearing at gigs and in clubs with crazy loud sound systems. I already have tinnitus from before I started doing this, and really don't want it to get any worse.

_
I bought these previously http://www.proplugs.com/ but haven't tried any other types, so was wondering if anyone had any better reccomendations?

Find an audiologist and get custom earplugs. I have some made by westone that let me swap out different filters (40db 80db etc)

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I have no idea just how stupid this question is. I am building a simple little site for a friend and I've set up an email account for his domain. How can he manage his email using Gmail as a client?

First I set it up so emails sent to his site domain would forward to Gmail, and I set his site domain email as an sending alias in Gmail. I sent a test email to his domain email, and it landed in his Gmail account. When he replied though, it came from Gmail, not from his domain.

He could of course abandon gmail and use the domain's webmail, but that's much less convenient.

Basically, he wants to receive and send emails using Gmail, but using his site's email address instead of @gmail.com.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Find an audiologist and get custom earplugs. I have some made by westone that let me swap out different filters (40db 80db etc)

This is absolutely the correct answer, but if you can't afford this right now (you should figure out a way to afford this) then Etymotic Research makes really good earplugs that provide relatively flat attenuation.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

me your dad posted:

I have no idea just how stupid this question is. I am building a simple little site for a friend and I've set up an email account for his domain. How can he manage his email using Gmail as a client?

First I set it up so emails sent to his site domain would forward to Gmail, and I set his site domain email as an sending alias in Gmail. I sent a test email to his domain email, and it landed in his Gmail account. When he replied though, it came from Gmail, not from his domain.

He could of course abandon gmail and use the domain's webmail, but that's much less convenient.

Basically, he wants to receive and send emails using Gmail, but using his site's email address instead of @gmail.com.

You can no longer do this for free. You have to sign up for Google Apps for Businesses, which is $5/mo.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

me your dad posted:

If you have it set up as an alias on his gmail, you should be able to go into settings -> accounts, and then make his domain the default address to send mail from. You can also select an option to make replies always come from the default account or from the account the original message was sent to. There should also be a dropdown menu by the "from" field when making a new e-mail, letting them choose whatever address they want manually.

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Any reason not to use the cheap foam ones you buy at pharmacies? They have a high rating and will protect your hearing as well as a custom fitted pair will.

isoprenaline fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 28, 2013

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

isoprenaline posted:

Any reason not to use the cheap foam ones you buy at pharmacies? They have a high rating and will protect your hearing as well as a custom fitted pair will.

There are bizarro high-tech earplugs that can dampen loud noises, while still leaving other things (speech, mostly) unmuffled.

Edit: vv Yeah. You can also add new addresses (possibly domains?) to your grandfathered gmail account. Google originally offered this as free, and didn't want to piss off anybody by taking away functionality that they'd come to depend on.

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 28, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Gravity Pike posted:

You can no longer do this for free. You have to sign up for Google Apps for Businesses, which is $5/mo.

Really? I've had this for years for free, did I just get lucky and grandfather in?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Captain Novolin posted:

If you have it set up as an alias on his gmail, you should be able to go into settings -> accounts, and then make his domain the default address to send mail from. You can also select an option to make replies always come from the default account or from the account the original message was sent to. There should also be a dropdown menu by the "from" field when making a new e-mail, letting them choose whatever address they want manually.

Sorry - it turns out I have it set NOT as an alias in Gmail. In the documentation, it sounds like having Alias checked will result in a copy of a sent email in the sender's inbox for every email. I definitely don't want it like that.

I set up my own account under his hosting and in Gmail I have the settings as:

code:
me yourdad <meyourdad@gmail.com>
default	edit info	

me yourdad <myEmail@myfriendsdomain.com>
set as default
Not an alias.
Mail is sent through: mail.myfriendsdomain.com
Secured connection on port 587 using TLS
I tried setting myEmail@myfriend'sdomain.com to the default, and then I composed an email to my friend. He replied, but it never made it back to my gmail. I do have myEmail@myfriendsdomain.com set to autoforward to gmail.

I don't necessarily need a resolution here. I realize this is the quick and stupid questions thread - not the troubleshoot my email problems thread.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
When I was young I remember looking into the sky at two stars that were very close to each other. When I say close I don't mean distance wise I mean the gap between them in the night sky was very small. I saw a flash between them, almost like a bolt of lightning going from one star to the other. I thought I was seeing things but my mate next to me just happened to be looking at the same stars and said he saw the same thing.

Now this was years ago but I remember it vividly. It wasn't a plane because it was definitely stationary. I guess that rules it out as being a satellite or comet as well. After the flash the two stars were still there. It is entirely possible that they weren't stars. I am just assuming they were. Again, they weren't travelling across the sky.

It's something I've been wondering about for years but I only just thought of asking on this forum recently. Does anyone have any idea what it could have been? Also if there is an astronomy megathread somewhere please point me there.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

fuckpot posted:

When I was young I remember looking into the sky at two stars that were very close to each other. When I say close I don't mean distance wise I mean the gap between them in the night sky was very small. I saw a flash between them, almost like a bolt of lightning going from one star to the other. I thought I was seeing things but my mate next to me just happened to be looking at the same stars and said he saw the same thing.

Now this was years ago but I remember it vividly. It wasn't a plane because it was definitely stationary. I guess that rules it out as being a satellite or comet as well. After the flash the two stars were still there. It is entirely possible that they weren't stars. I am just assuming they were. Again, they weren't travelling across the sky.

It's something I've been wondering about for years but I only just thought of asking on this forum recently. Does anyone have any idea what it could have been? Also if there is an astronomy megathread somewhere please point me there.

Define "young". Given the proper timeframe, this could conceivably be an Iridium flare.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

fuckpot posted:

That's more common that you think. As Golbez said, it's probably an flare, but the key is that you, the observer, think that two stationary object flared when it's more likely that the flare was from a single satellite that is otherwise invisible to your eyes but flared with perfect timing as it passed between two distant objects. Those who have seen lots of lower orbit flares might see one from a medium orbit (GPS) or even geostationary satellite and confuse it for some crazy poo poo happening to distant stars. Iridium satellites are distinct and flare much more brightly, but they are in lower orbit and thus appear to move quite a bit.

If it appeared to move a tiny bit over a few seconds and it wasn't that dim, then it probably wasn't geostationary. GPS satellites orbit twice per day, so that's about half a degree in a minute. If you hold out your pinkie finger at arm length that's about a degree. You can probably guess the speed of the satellite from your memory, and from there guess its orbital distance. Even if this was in pre-GPS days, there have been plenty of satellites in similar medium orbits since the 70s. The Russians had a full constellation of them for missile navigation, but these might have only been popular to spot because kids and immature adults could tell people that they just saw a "Glown rear end flare".

If your memory is good, try to figure out if it was on the equatorial plane. That'll let you know if it might have actually been geostationary.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Noni posted:

it's more likely that the flare was from a single satellite that is otherwise invisible to your eyes but flared with perfect timing as it passed between two distant objects.
I reckon this is what it was. I'll just go with this.

At the time I imagined I was watching the opening salvos of an interstellar war. I think I was about 11 when I saw it (29 now).

Douku
Jun 18, 2007

I ordered some shoes online from Nordstrom and used a third party freight forwarding service to have the goods shipped to me outside the US. I received the wrong items and now Nordstrom are refusing to exchange the shoes because I used a freight forwarding service.

I've been shopping online for over a decade and I do receive the wrong items from time to time but this is the first time I've had an online retailer refusing to correct their mistake.

Thoughts?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Douku posted:

I ordered some shoes online from Nordstrom and used a third party freight forwarding service to have the goods shipped to me outside the US. I received the wrong items and now Nordstrom are refusing to exchange the shoes because I used a freight forwarding service.

I've been shopping online for over a decade and I do receive the wrong items from time to time but this is the first time I've had an online retailer refusing to correct their mistake.

Thoughts?
Credit card charge-back / dispute?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I have a question about my job. I'm not sure whether what my boss is doing is legal or not.

I work at a bar. We have X amount of people scheduled 4-9, then some more come in at 9pm to fill in while the earlier ones go home. The thing is, if we're not busy enough for multiple people at 9pm, some of them have to sit down (without pay) until enough patrons come in that it would warrant more bartenders working. Is this legal? They're requiring people to show up and be on the premises, but they're not getting paid for sitting there.

For example, I was just scheduled at 9pm, and didn't start working until after 1am. That was 4 hours of sitting on my rear end in a bar drinking water, and I couldn't leave or else lose my job.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Why did our teeth evolve to feel pain, when we were helpless to repair or replace damaged teeth in the environment we evolved in? Pain signals from teeth would have been useless information until very recently in our history.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Torka posted:

Why did our teeth evolve to feel pain, when we were helpless to repair or replace damaged teeth in the environment we evolved in? Pain signals from teeth would have been useless information until very recently in our history.

Evolution isn't a guided process, so it's not like someone decided to include nerves in teeth. They just evolved that way, and apparently it wasn't a big enough thing to apply selection pressure.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

brylcreem posted:

Evolution isn't a guided process, so it's not like someone decided to include nerves in teeth. They just evolved that way, and apparently it wasn't a big enough thing to apply selection pressure.
This is probably the case, however, tooth decay can also be lethal. Pulling a tooth is pretty much always an option, even though it's profoundly unpleasant.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Torka posted:

It's not useless. You'd avoid using the damaged teeth to prevent further injury. It sucks but without nerves/pain you'd just chomp your teeth into oblivion and end up toothless way sooner than you should.

Now menstrual cramps, THAT'S some pointless pain.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

isoprenaline posted:

They are great but people rarely properly insert them. They should nearly disappear behind the tragus. Long term comfort and usable lifetime may compel one to buy customs.
You can also buy customs for hunting that only block really loud noises, viz. gunfire, and do not attenuate softer noises like deer farts or however hunting works.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Torka posted:

Was it? The pain should have signaled people to remove the bad teeth, which you don't need modem technology to accomplish. Replacing them is a much more modern thing, yes, but removal was adequate for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Floppychop posted:

I have a question about my job. I'm not sure whether what my boss is doing is legal or not.

I work at a bar. We have X amount of people scheduled 4-9, then some more come in at 9pm to fill in while the earlier ones go home. The thing is, if we're not busy enough for multiple people at 9pm, some of them have to sit down (without pay) until enough patrons come in that it would warrant more bartenders working. Is this legal? They're requiring people to show up and be on the premises, but they're not getting paid for sitting there.

For example, I was just scheduled at 9pm, and didn't start working until after 1am. That was 4 hours of sitting on my rear end in a bar drinking water, and I couldn't leave or else lose my job.

In the US that is not legal. They have to pay you at least minimum wage for any time you're required to be on the premises or otherwise working. You can file a complaint with your local Dept of labor. Keep a good record of every instance. If they do it to others try to get them to do the same.