Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

jdfording posted:

This is a fairly new Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel. The machine shop/tuner I go to had this dropped off a while ago. This is what he found inside. Apparently this is the 3rd engine Dodge has replaced for this guy. They are not going to cover this one.

Change your oil boys and girls!

Got sludge?

The guy that opened this engine said it's the worst he's ever seen. All the bearings are spun. The owner won't return his calls...

Being functionally retarded and winding up the injector duty cycle stupidly Rolling coal, coked up the rings & crowns, blowby into crankcase is my bet.

E: drat, new page -- looking for an image.

Not my image; failure attributed to restricted airflow and correspondingly rich mixture..

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

We had a 2.0L diesel sportage with the R series engine floating around a while back. It had a magic box between the engine ecu and fuel rail pressure sensor, pulled 200awhp.

I'd love to know if that car still has a functioning transmission.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

IPCRESS posted:

Ford Motor Company would like a word.

Nah, they totally fixed that.

See? Perfectly safe now.

G-Mach posted:

Holy gently caress. How long was the last time the oil got changed in that? To kill a cummings like that is impressive.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say "the last time the engine was replaced".

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

Powershift posted:

you can't spell ferrari without F, i, r, and e.

More like FIREari!

:v:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Slavvy posted:

That sounds doubtful to me. The prius battery is located immediately behind the rear row seat area, it has the entire boot region between it and the towbar/any potential collision.

Ok, that's interesting. I know that Toyota Australia refuses to supply a tow kit for the Prius and Hybrid Camry, as one of my friends used to work at a Toyota Dealership and went through their hybrid training.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You Am I posted:

Ok, that's interesting. I know that Toyota Australia refuses to supply a tow kit for the Prius and Hybrid Camry, as one of my friends used to work at a Toyota Dealership and went through their hybrid training.

Yup. Toyota NZ here :) it's because they aren't rated for it, safety isn't really a consideration. Most genuine towbars bolt up in place of the steel rear crash structure behind the rear bumper; on a camry/aurion you actually throw that part in the bin entirely.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Odd, here in Europe most towbars bolt to the chassis rails with an additional condemned under the bumper.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
As a Prius owner, I wouldn't dream of towing anything more than my two labrador retrievers. It's just not meant for such things.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
From what I understand the weak link in hybrid towing is the CVT tranny which is only rated to 1,000lbs or so towing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DrPain posted:

From what I understand the weak link in hybrid towing is the CVT tranny which is only rated to 1,000lbs or so towing.

Yup. Remember it isn't actually a CVT in the sense of two pulleys and a belt. It is literally a planetary gearset with the engine linked to one gear and the two motor/generators linked to the other two. The relative speeds of the motors alters the gearing dynamically; there isn't any 'slop' or room for over-loading. Any additional load from cargo, passengers etc is taken up by engine power and MG juice alone.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Yup. Remember it isn't actually a CVT in the sense of two pulleys and a belt. It is literally a planetary gearset with the engine linked to one gear and the two motor/generators linked to the other two. The relative speeds of the motors alters the gearing dynamically; there isn't any 'slop' or room for over-loading. Any additional load from cargo, passengers etc is taken up by engine power and MG juice alone.

As I understand, true CVTs aren't great at handling a lot of torque either (which would explain why Toyota wouldn't want the CVT Corolla fitted with a towbar, as mentioned on the last page). Simply getting them to work for everyday driving was a pretty big challenge.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cockmaster posted:

As I understand, true CVTs aren't great at handling a lot of torque either (which would explain why Toyota wouldn't want the CVT Corolla fitted with a towbar, as mentioned on the last page). Simply getting them to work for everyday driving was a pretty big challenge.

I remember reading something on this. The problem isn't in making the CVT strong enough, it's a matter of making it strong enough whilst still being small enough to fit into a normal vehicle. Size in a CVT apparently scales really quickly with strengthening.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Don't leave aluminum caps on brass fittings in a wet environment for 6 months, Fuckin things are welded together. A 5 foot long pipe wrench/snipe couldn't break that fucker loose and a hammer, while emotionally rewarding, doesn't do poo poo either.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Yah, galvanic corrosion's unforgiving.

The corrosion boundary layer is (should be) somewhat insulating, so you might be able to attack it with a torch to expand the aluminium over the bronze.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

Powershift posted:

Don't leave aluminum caps on brass fittings in a wet environment for 6 months, Fuckin things are welded together. A 5 foot long pipe wrench/snipe couldn't break that fucker loose and a hammer, while emotionally rewarding, doesn't do poo poo either.
Is that a cap over a plug? Some bastard's got some splainin to do. However, if you can get by without either of the pieces, I think you found a new way to haze the new guy.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Crank pulley decided to make a break for freedom on my 155k '04 320d. That'll probably be the "exhaust rattle" I've been ignoring. For the past 6 months :stonk:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

stump posted:

Crank pulley decided to make a break for freedom on my 155k '04 320d. That'll probably be the "exhaust rattle" I've been ignoring. For the past 6 months :stonk:

The good news is that it's not rattling anymore.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

meatpimp posted:

The good news is that it's not rattling anymore.

Well, that's true. Hopefully everything else is OK, going to check over all the pulleys and ancillaries before refitting with new belts. Nursed it a mile home, getting half way before I saw the temp gauge climbing and clicked that the water pump is also off that belt. Don't think it got hot enough to hurt anything though. Automotive Insanity > Post Pictures of Horrible Ownership Failures.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Polymerized Cum posted:

As a two labrador retriever owner, I wouldn't dream of towing anything more than my Prius.

Mush!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

IPCRESS posted:

Yah, galvanic corrosion's unforgiving.

Totally.

The after market cooling system parts I've found for the Fairlane all seem to have the same alteration from original spec. The OE parts have steel hose fittings pressed into the aluminium casting. I still have the thermostat housing I took off. i should take a picture. It's cracked, there also appears to be a much older crack on the other side, there's a cavity eaten out around the steel fitting, the steel fitting is corroded, and what amazed me the most is that the mating surface was manufactured with high points.

The replacement part is far nicer and I trust it a lot more than the Ford part. Well, I'm off to deal with another mechanical failure and what I consider to be a design failure. Why would anyone put a heater tap in the cabin near the firewall? It's cable operated so it could have been put in the engine bay. I see a future mod coming on. I now have a carpet drenched with coolant :(

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

General_Failure posted:

. I now have a carpet drenched with coolant :(

Could be worse.

Could be car sick dog vomit, or worse, car sick child vomit.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ferremit posted:

Could be worse.

Could be car sick dog vomit, or worse, car sick child vomit.

That's true. That's never pleasant.

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?
Just been catching up on this thread. With regards to than crane carrying the turbine assembly that collapsed, did anyone else see this frame from the video:

Doesn't that mean that the crane was only rated (werklast -> workload) for loads 15 tonnes lighter than the turbine (16, if the turbine's 75 tons were long tons). I know the engineering rule of thumb is to add in a safety factor of 2 or more, but that shouldn't really be relied on in practice!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Unwelcome passengers :argh:

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

One Eye Open posted:

Just been catching up on this thread. With regards to than crane carrying the turbine assembly that collapsed, did anyone else see this frame from the video:

Doesn't that mean that the crane was only rated (werklast -> workload) for loads 15 tonnes lighter than the turbine (16, if the turbine's 75 tons were long tons). I know the engineering rule of thumb is to add in a safety factor of 2 or more, but that shouldn't really be relied on in practice!
In Europe 1 ton = 1000kg, end of story. I agree, they were being incredibly dumb trying to lift more than the crane was certified for. Worse is, it's usually not only written on a tiny placard but spraypainted in enormous idiotproof letters on the crane's structure as well.

The figure one line down "proeflast", meaning test load says 680KN, or 68000kg. "Eigen gew." is eigen gewicht, the crane's own weight.

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 27, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

stump posted:

Well, that's true. Hopefully everything else is OK, going to check over all the pulleys and ancillaries before refitting with new belts. Nursed it a mile home, getting half way before I saw the temp gauge climbing and clicked that the water pump is also off that belt. Don't think it got hot enough to hurt anything though. Automotive Insanity > Post Pictures of Horrible Ownership Failures.

Check the overrunning clutch on your alternator, they have an irritating habit of failing shortly after stuff like this, although I can't speak for BMW diesels specifically.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Customer said they attempted a DIY fuel filter replacement on their sweet '99 328i and now it has trouble starting and idling. Found these sweet brand new blue point hose clamps on the fuel line. Recommend customer stop attempting DIY stuff.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

DrPain posted:

Customer said they attempted a DIY fuel filter replacement on their sweet '99 328i and now it has trouble starting and idling. Found these sweet brand new blue point hose clamps on the fuel line. Recommend customer stop attempting DIY stuff.

I hope they never try working on their brakes.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

stump posted:

Had something similar happen on my 96 Sentra. The belt had been squealing a lot, so I bought an extra belt and was going to get around to changing it on the weekend. I was leaving a stoplight on the way to lunch when there was a tremendous BANG under the hood and a loss of power steering. I looked down to see the battery light, then looked up to see my tensioner pulley race down the street like a scalded cat. It had been slowly working itself loose from the mount. When it finally worked the nut loose, it shot up into the bottom of the hood, ricocheted out the bottom of the bay, and made it about a block before tipping over.

Oops.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

I wonder what left this mark in the rotor?

Hold up...

Guess someone dropped a bolt in the factory

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sudo Echo posted:

Hold up...

How the gently caress?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Sudo Echo posted:

Hold up...

I actually started laughing out loud.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Wow, who made that pad? Liability city.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Looks like they got the full-metallic pad. That's why I stick with ceramic or semi-metallic.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Reminds me of the "toad found in a lump of coal" stories from the old Reader's Digest "Book of poo poo Charles Fort Made Up".

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Sudo Echo posted:

<snip>

So is that a bolt cut in half? or is it two bolts? Can't really tell.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Wibbleman posted:

So is that a bolt cut in half? or is it two bolts? Can't really tell.

The top one is the imprint in the material. I had to stare at it for a while too.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sudo Echo posted:

Hold up...

Please tell me what brand that pad is so I can never put them on my vehicles ever.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

xp67 posted:

I hope they never try working on their brakes.

I once had a guy do just that with the rear brakes on his Civic. Tried to do his own rear pads, popped the piston, wrapped the caliper in a plastic bag, and then drove to my shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Sudo Echo posted:

Hold up...

This is the most amazing thing I have ever seen :aaa: