Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Martytoof posted:

"BCE Inc. says it is likely to scale back efforts to bring advanced cellphone services to rural Canada if large foreign telecoms like Verizon Communications Inc. are allowed to enter the Canadian market under preferential rules."

:lol: -- a threat

Rogers lowered their bandwidth cap the moment Netflix announced their entry into the Canadian market. The only way to break our telcos out of this pattern is with a heavy stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Godinster posted:

I don't get how anyone in their right mind can oppose Verizon aside from the carriers.

For the record, I don't oppose Verizon coming in (and frankly I haven't seen anyone, anywhere, outside our carriers that does), I'm just not on board the Great Red Hope train because:
  • a) in their home market they are as bad if not worse than Our Benevolent Overlords and any reasons they have to change this behaviour will not last,
  • b) the synergies between VZW's existing American network and any one they could build or use in Canada after buying any of the AWS providers are minimal at best, so offering a better roaming deal than the incumbents will be tricky,
  • c) the fact that they have the cash to underwrite a massive undercutting of current telecom prices and the necessary infrastructure investments to beat the incumbent carriers is no guarantee that our market is worth spending the amount of cash this would require or that they actually want to do so (Wind's owners also had size and cash, and yet here we are),
  • d) for all that the government is (according to the incumbents) desperately offering concessions to encourage Verizon to come in and come in properly, I don't trust them to make the right changes from the perspective of actually making competitive entry feasible for people without ten-figure market caps or restricting the soon-to-be Big 4 from loving us (because that would involve actually restraining the Glorious Free Market and we can't have that),
  • e) I am a massive killjoy.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 26, 2013

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
^ I think this is spot on analysis. I'd just like to see the big 3's nose bloodied a bit, even if the consumer is no better off.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I heard a radio ad today explaining how rates in Canada are actually less than comparable plans in the states, we should be happy you guys! :downs:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

I heard a radio ad today explaining how rates in Canada are actually less than comparable plans in the states, we should be happy you guys! :downs:

I saw that propaganda written in the 24h paper earlier in Montreal. I laughed. Not just because it's not correct, but because since almost everyone is complaining that the prices are too high, they know that this is bullshit. This isn't going to put out the fire, it's just adding fuel to it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Migishu posted:

I saw that propaganda written in the 24h paper earlier in Montreal. I laughed. Not just because it's not correct, but because since almost everyone is complaining that the prices are too high, they know that this is bullshit. This isn't going to put out the fire, it's just adding fuel to it.

Yeah I think my reaction was a guffaw and "Oh come ON! Seriously??"

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

Yeah I think my reaction was a guffaw and "Oh come ON! Seriously??"

Today at Starbucks I saw a copy of 24H sitting alone on a table, opened to that "PSA."

I like to imagine whoever was reading came to that page and just walked away, laughing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

less than three posted:

Today at Starbucks I saw a copy of 24H sitting alone on a table, opened to that "PSA."

I like to imagine whoever was reading came to that page and just walked away, laughing.

Pictured: Head of the Canadian Wireless Association

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Migishu posted:

I saw that propaganda written in the 24h paper earlier in Montreal.

I don't know if what you saw is just the old CWTA ads like this one:

But Bell is taking it a step further and is in full on freakout mode, taking up 2 page ads in La Presse (among other newspapers):

Not going to translate the whole thing as I'm sure it's out there in an English equivalent, but basically they're now praising the CRTC rules that allowed the AWS spectrum to go into the hands of Mobilicity/WIND, saying it allows for competition. Then they say these rules can't be allowed to apply to big evil American outsiders, and go on to say that America hasn't offered anything to Canada in terms of allowing them on the market. And finally, they whine and demand to be allowed to bid on the AWS spectrum.

Frankly, I'm disgusted. I might try to executive carpet bomb them just to rebuke their arguments or really just tell them to gently caress off.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Here's the english text:

quote:

Bell Canada is taking the unusual step of writing to all Canadians today. As the nation’s longest-serving telecommunications company, established shortly after Confederation in 1880, we would like to ensure Canadians clearly understand a critical situation impacting their world-leading wireless industry.

Verizon Communications, a $120-billion US telecommunications giant with 100 million wireless customers, is considering entering the Canadian market. A company of this scale certainly doesn’t need handouts from Canadians or special regulatory advantages over Canadian companies. But that is exactly what they get in the new federal wireless regulations.

Bell welcomes any competitor, but they should compete on a level playing field. Fair competition is something Canadians demand and something Bell expects too after 133 years of investment in delivering world-class communications services to Canadians.

Unintended advantages for American giants: How we got here
The federal government has recently taken an activist role in regulating Canada’s wireless industry. That includes giving various benefits to small startup wireless competitors. With Ottawa’s help, the new companies have become part of the vigorously competitive Canadian wireless marketplace.

But the government inadvertently left holes in the wireless rules that would give big US corporations the same extraordinary advantages as the small startups. And all Canadians are on the hook to pay.

Verizon has said it’s looking at taking advantage of this unique opportunity. We do not believe a US company 4x the size of Canada’s entire wireless industry combined requires special help from Canada. It’s profoundly unfair to all Canadians, and Ottawa needs to close the loopholes.

3 loopholes in the rules
Under federal regulations originally designed for startup competitors, Verizon would actually get these benefits…

Verizon would be able to buy twice as much of Canada’s airwaves as Canadian companies like Bell can in an upcoming auction of wireless spectrum – the airwaves that carry your calls and data.

These airwaves are a public resource, and access to them is critical to providing you with world-leading wireless services. When Ottawa auctions off Canada’s airwaves for use by telecommunications companies, it gets significant revenues. These are public funds. It is inappropriate for our own government to essentially reserve a public resource for a company like Verizon to the detriment of Canadian companies. In doing so, the government will also reduce federal auction revenue significantly – by potentially hundreds of millions of dollars. A loophole that gives US companies access to twice as much of our airwaves and at a lower cost is an unfair advantage, paid for by Canadians.

They get to piggyback on the networks of Canadian carriers wherever they don’t want to invest and build their own.

Under the rules, Verizon would have the right to offer wireless service using the advanced networks funded by Canadian companies and built by Canadian workers. Industry experts say a Verizon wouldn’t need to build its own network throughout Canada, invest in Canada’s rural communities, or support Canadian jobs like Canadian wireless companies do. Instead, they would concentrate on a few big urban centres, forcing Canadian carriers to do the same while potentially cutting jobs and slashing costs in order to compete.

Verizon can acquire smaller Canadian competitors – but Bell and other Canadian wireless companies can’t even try.

American players like Verizon can buy up new Canadian wireless companies like Wind Mobile and Mobilicity at cut-rate prices – including their existing spectrum holdings previously subsidized by Canadian taxpayers.

Yet Canadian carriers like Bell are restricted from competing to acquire these Canadian startups, even if the new companies want it to happen. That means Verizon gets them for below-market value. What did Ottawa get from the United States in return for this unprecedented access to Canada? Nothing. No reciprocity in the US for Canadian companies. In fact, can you even imagine Canadian wireless companies getting preferred access to New York, Los Angeles or Chicago?
3 straightforward ways to close the loopholes
The Bell team is ready to compete with anyone for your business on a level playing field. But big US companies taking advantage of rules designed to help Canadian startup is just not on the level.

To get wireless policy back on track, we propose that…

Canadian wireless carriers should be able to bid for the same amount of Canada’s airwaves as Americans can.

US operators entering Canada should roll out wireless service across the country, just as Canadian companies have.

If a small Canadian wireless company seeks a buyer, Canadian carriers should be allowed to bid, just as the Americans can.
US giants don’t need special help from the Canadian government, and Canadians shouldn’t have to pay their way into the country.

Instead, let’s give Canada’s own communications companies a fair chance to compete with them.

Sincerely,

George Cope
President and CEO, Bell Canada and BCE

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Does anyone here work for, or know someone who does, any of the big-3, particularly in corporate? I'm very curious what the corporate culture is like. There can't be many organizations whose customer bases are so indifferent to them at best, with active hostility as more approximate of average.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I haven't worked for them but I have worked extensively with corporate types from more than one since starting my job. Without going into too much detail, it's almost exactly as you might imagine.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Telus is taking the federal government to court over a "lack of clarity" on their wireless policies:

quote:

Telus Corp. is taking the federal government to court, saying it wants clarity on the country's wireless spectrum policy.

Telus filed an application for judicial review in Federal Court on Monday.

It follows then-industry minister Christian Paradis's decision on June 4 to prevent the transfer of struggling Mobilicity's wireless spectrum licences to larger rival Telus. The decision effectively killed Telus's $380-million takeover bid for Mobilicity.

The government has also said any future requests for spectrum transfers would be reviewed individually, and that any deemed to result in undue spectrum concentraton would be rejected.

The federal government's stated goal is to have four national wireless phone competitors in the Canadian market.

As part of the last auction of wireless spectrum in 2008, which saw the entry of small players Wind and Mobilicity, the three incumbent phone companies — Rogers, Telus and Bell — were barred for five years from acquiring any of the wireless spectrum held by the small competitors.

Last month, Ottawa pushed back the application deadline for the next auction of wireless spectrum to Sept. 17. Bids had been originally due in mid-June of this year. Now the bidding will begin on Jan. 14, 2014.

Canada's three major players will only be allowed to bid for one of the four blocks of spectrum available. However, potential new market entrants, such as giant U.S. firm Verizon Communications, won't be limited by that rule.

The Telus court filing comes as Canada's large phone companies are undertaking a vigorous PR campaign against the rules governing foreign entry in the market.

As Verizon eyes the Canadian market with a potential takeover of Wind Mobile or Mobilicity, the big three Canadian telecom companies are saying federal rules put them at a competitive disadvantage.

Verizon takes aim at telecom Big 3 with possible Wind Mobile bid
On Monday, the Canadian Council of Chief Executives and the Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union of Canada both came out saying they opposed any special treatment for Verizon.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2013/07/30/business-telus-wireless-policy-suit.html

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
"lack of clarity" meaning "the government said no and that's not what we wanted to hear"

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So... what is the unclear thing that they want clarified?

Also presenting the Canadian consumer:

gehedan3 posted:

I don't understand all the complaining about being gouged. I have a smartphone with 1 of the Big 3. I pay $56.90 taxes all in with 250 minutes and free time after 6pm and weekends with VM, caller ID , 10 fav. numbers (no time or LD charges in Canada). You think that's a lot? you'll get a better deal with Verizon? I doubt it

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

eXXon posted:

So... what is the unclear thing that they want clarified?

Also presenting the Canadian consumer:

There was a comment I can't find now as well that had some idiot proudly proclaiming that he hates the big 3 and doesn't give them his business, as he's on Virgin...

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

There was a comment I can't find now as well that had some idiot proudly proclaiming that he hates the big 3 and doesn't give them his business, as he's on Virgin...

Ugh. It infuriates me that hiding behind brands works so well as a marketing strategy. See also: Future Shop, Best Buy.

I suppose it all comes down to the old truism: consumers don't buy things, they are sold things.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
Heh, I just got back from vacation and I've been getting a fair amount of people rushing to upgrade their phones before August 9th (the new end date for 3 year contracts) so they don't have to pay the higher cost of a phone on a two year contract.

That's one thing you don't see in this thread that I see all the time. People aren't too concerned about plans but by God that phone better be $0. Stay classy, Halifax :allears:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Which carrier raised the cost? All the ones I saw kept the subsidy but raised the bill.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
All of them. By $5.

Why? Because they're getting rid of 3 year plans, this is their reaction.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

OilSlick posted:

Stay classy, Halifax :allears:

I've seen this a lot in recent weeks. Both in Saskatchewan and Manitoba - especially for high tier devices.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Which carrier raised the cost? All the ones I saw kept the subsidy but raised the bill.

I'm pretty sure all of them will lower the subsidy. I just checked the Telus website and they too have higher prices. Presently our price cards still show the lower price because 3 year contracts are still an option for now.

That said, the increased handset price isn't even that much considering you're shaving a whole year off your contract.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

OilSlick posted:

That said, the increased handset price isn't even that much considering you're shaving a whole year off your contract.

But it's not free1! I want my free iPhone and I want it now! :qq:

1 With an effective end price of twice as much as the device is actually worth, plus we'll gently caress you in the butt.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

OilSlick posted:

Heh, I just got back from vacation and I've been getting a fair amount of people rushing to upgrade their phones before August 9th (the new end date for 3 year contracts) so they don't have to pay the higher cost of a phone on a two year contract.

That's one thing you don't see in this thread that I see all the time. People aren't too concerned about plans but by God that phone better be $0. Stay classy, Halifax :allears:

If they'd get off their asses and bring us decent paying jobs that aren't the shipyard we'd have less cheapskates around these parts.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

thunderspanks posted:

If they'd get off their asses and bring us decent paying jobs that aren't the shipyard we'd have less cheapskates around these parts.

Who is 'they' in that sentence?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

thunderspanks posted:

I hardly think it's the government's fault that people seem to enjoy or are blind to the fact that they get actively hosed by telecom providers...

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I hardly think it's the government's fault that people seem to enjoy or are blind to the fact that they get actively hosed by telecom providers...

On top of that, most people are borderline-innumerate in general, and know very little about financial decision making in particular.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
http://www.fairforcanada.ca/

hehehehe.

Fun fact. Bell owns BNN and Globe and Mail which they reference 3 times in that "What are others saying"

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 1, 2013

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I like how there's a big banner saying "What Canadians are saying" with a picture of an attractive lady texting but there's no actual content or links before it transitions to the "What's Being Said" section. So I guess the conclusion is that Canadians are saying jack poo poo and just keep texting their friends about whatever*??

*limited to 100 texts per month; subsequent texts charged at a rate of 25 cents. International charges apply for texts send outside local calling area.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

eXXon posted:

Canadians are saying jack poo poo and just keep texting their friends about whatever

This is actually pretty true.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
My iPhone 4 is completely hosed now, the voice mic no longer works (so I can't actually use the phone to speak into) and the home button works maybe 1/10 presses. My contract isn't up with Rogers until Sept. 20. Fuckkkkkkkkk.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 26, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

VERTiG0 posted:

My iPhone 4 is completely hosed now, the voice mic no longer works (so I can't actually use the phone to speak into) and the home button works maybe 1/10 presses. My contract isn't up with Rogers until Sept. 20. Fuckkkkkkkkk.

I know this isn't what your post is about, but there's a chance that the voice mic is a loose IC on your motherboard and you can shim it with a cut up credit card to MAYBE fix the problem if you have the screwdrivers to get into it.

Mine has this exact same problem and the shim at least got it working until the new 5s or whatever comes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPR8qrAcg5g

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
So here's a scenerio. I might be getting a koodo locked iphone this weekend. The person I'm getting it from will be exchanging it for a new iphone since the current phone has an issue with it.

Would we able to exchange for an unlocked iphone from the Apple store?
If not, I assume we will get a koodo locked phone. Would we be able to pay the unlock fee through the Apple store?
And if not, since it's technically a new iphone, would koodo be willing to unlock it?

I would be taking possession of it after the exchange at the store but I won't be using it on koodo. That's why we are looking to get it unlocked.

iLikeMidgets fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 2, 2013

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

iLikeMidgets posted:

So here's a scenerio. I might be getting a koodo locked iphone this weekend. The person I'm getting it from will be exchanging it for a new iphone since the current phone has an issue with it.

Would we able to exchange for an unlocked iphone from the Apple store?
If not, I assume we will get a koodo locked phone. Would we be able to pay the unlock fee through the Apple store?
And if not, since it's technically a new iphone, would koodo be willing to unlock it?

I would be taking possession of it after the exchange at the store but I won't be using it on koodo. That's why we are looking to get it unlocked.

Apple does not unlock iPhones. Koodo will only unlock it as long as they have recovered any subsidy that was given off the original device. Not sure if you will be given a locked model from the Apple store or not.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

What's the best way to acquire a nano sim card for my Rogers account? Will Rogers give me one if I stop by the store?

Basically, I want to move my Rogers account from a micro sim onto it, as I have adapters to use any size of sim card upwards from nano.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Lexicon posted:

What's the best way to acquire a nano sim card for my Rogers account? Will Rogers give me one if I stop by the store?

Basically, I want to move my Rogers account from a micro sim onto it, as I have adapters to use any size of sim card upwards from nano.

Stop by a Rogers' store and ask them to transfer your account details on to a nano sim. It'll probably cost you about $10.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

grack posted:

Stop by a Rogers' store and ask them to transfer your account details on to a nano sim. It'll probably cost you about $10.

They'll do it for free if you get a nice rep. Or maybe I just charmed the hell out of the girl doing my transfer. I guess we'll never know :cool:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Martytoof posted:

They'll do it for free if you get a nice rep. Or maybe I just charmed the hell out of the girl doing my transfer. I guess we'll never know :cool:

I too once successfully talked my way out of the same SIM transfer fee. I guess we're both just amazingly handsome and charming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I once talked my way into Mobilicity not giving me a free SIM card at all. Jerks.

Actually they should probably give me a free replacement, because it never signs on to Mobilicity automatically when I reboot my phone and seems to make network searches take forever.