Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I saw that PC Space Hulk earlier today. Looked neat and very much like an animated board game, which I liked, but I fear it'll be poorly received because it's an animated boardgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Total war esque epic would be neat, selecting your units based off a points limit, none of the base managing needed. id play the poo poo out of that.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Pierzak posted:

And not one! Look at the logos in the lower left:

New Rites of War? :neckbeard:
Not new Rites of War, think new Epic: Final Liberation. It's gonna be hex based and rule.

Hencoe posted:

Total war esque epic would be neat, selecting your units based off a points limit, none of the base managing needed. id play the poo poo out of that.
There's going to be a straight up Warhammer Fantasy: Total War from Creative Assembly, so unlike Battle March it'll actually have the real Total War guys behind it.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SRM posted:

As for how I did the transfers, I brushed on gloss varnish to where I was gonna put em, put down some Micro Set (only heard of this stuff yesterday as I was applying them at a ham's house) put on the transfers as usual, then put more Micro Set on top. Once those were dry I put on another brushing of gloss varnish, then matte varnished it. There were still a few little weirdnesses around the company marking decal, so I painted over those with green.

Hm, isn't Microset supposed to be used with Microsol?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Generally yeah, but he said you don't totally need it. Looking at how my transfers came out, I think I agree with him.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Bob Smith posted:

The thing with the Hierodules was a lot of my good stuff relied on big blast templates that could only knock a wound off at a time.

My opponent and I have suggested a fix to the bringing units back thing to be introduced at our club - only models that have a regular 40k force organisation slot, so no superheavies.

Hierodules should be pretty easy to counter with lots of krak missiles, plasma or lascannon - that crazy Land Raider with 8 lascannons should practically kill one per turn. I was a little disappointed they still only have a 3+ save, worse than then Tyrannofex.

Of course it didn't stop me buying a new one for half-price on ebay last week...

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
drat apocalypse models are so cool. It almost makes me want to convince people at my store to play real apocalypse instead of 5v5 2k points each games to match the scale

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Two things I was thinking of today with Tau. Has anyone ever thought about adding a flamer to Crsis Suits, even with two weapons already, merely for good overwatch damage? Than that got me thinking, can flamers work on support fire overwatch? Seems a bit crazy if a unit 10 or more inchs out is assaulting one unit, and the flamers another 6 inchs back can shoot through their own dudes and an insane distance.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Not new Rites of War, think new Epic: Final Liberation. It's gonna be hex based and rule.

The best news is that Matrix Games is involved. I've played so much more Steel Panthers: World at War than I care to admit...

Those guys know how to make a turn based strategy game.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

TKIY posted:

The best news is that Matrix Games is involved. I've played so much more Steel Panthers: World at War than I care to admit...

Those guys know how to make a turn based strategy game.

Really? Matrix games? Fuhuuuck

Lets play: war in Armageddon day by day anyone?

Zatheria
Apr 30, 2013

mmj posted:

drat apocalypse models are so cool. It almost makes me want to convince people at my store to play real apocalypse instead of 5v5 2k points each games to match the scale

I have a few IG units for apoc and so do the other people in my group, but the sad thing is that we just don't have time to play out an entire apocalypse game. It just takes a really drat long time.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

mmj posted:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You trying to say something about the skulldozer, pal? :colbert:

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Khorne Flakes posted:

Two things I was thinking of today with Tau. Has anyone ever thought about adding a flamer to Crsis Suits, even with two weapons already, merely for good overwatch damage? Than that got me thinking, can flamers work on support fire overwatch? Seems a bit crazy if a unit 10 or more inchs out is assaulting one unit, and the flamers another 6 inchs back can shoot through their own dudes and an insane distance.

It works. Since you aren't laying down a template, just a straight d3, there isn't any rule stopping you from doing it.

Crisis Suits with flamers and TL flamers are super tarpit units. You can go up close to put 3 templates down and up making your opponent roll a ton of saves, then he probably doesn't want to charge your suits - and if he does, he's probably lost a lot more points just getting to your suits than you spent on them.

Zatheria
Apr 30, 2013

MrBims posted:

It works. Since you aren't laying down a template, just a straight d3, there isn't any rule stopping you from doing it.

Crisis Suits with flamers and TL flamers are super tarpit units. You can go up close to put 3 templates down and up making your opponent roll a ton of saves, then he probably doesn't want to charge your suits - and if he does, he's probably lost a lot more points just getting to your suits than you spent on them.

I'm a little rusty on this -- can a crisis suit do overwatch even? I'm not sure if they count as infantry or vehicles as their type is walker.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Zatheria posted:

I'm a little rusty on this -- can a crisis suit do overwatch even? I'm not sure if they count as infantry or vehicles as their type is walker.

I haven't seen the crisis suit stat line but a walker is a type of vehicle that specifically can fire overwatch (among other things).

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Crisis suits are jet pack infantry. Definitely not walkers. And I think they're only able to fire one weapon when using overwatch. They can only use two weapons in the shooting phase.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

Crisis suits are jet pack infantry. Definitely not walkers. And I think they're only able to fire one weapon when using overwatch. They can only use two weapons in the shooting phase.

Correct. The wording makes mult-tracker only work in your shooting phase. So pick either weapon in overwatch, not both.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Can an MC with two weapons fire them both as overwatch?

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

AgentF posted:

Can an MC with two weapons fire them both as overwatch?

I believe so. It's just Crisis Suits are regular infantry and are only ever allowed two weapon because of muli tracker.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Khorne Flakes posted:

I believe so. It's just Crisis Suits are regular infantry and are only ever allowed two weapon because of muli tracker.

As far as I know, MCs can shoot two weapons because they can. The multi-tracker calls out that it can only be used in the shooting phase. It makes the flamers okay, but I would rather put the points into a twin-linked gun drone or a marker drone.

Best overwatch I have done so far is taking out a daemonprince in one turn with a basic tyrannofex. Granted, other than wings, it didn't have any upgrades.

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

:o

LordAba posted:

As far as I know, MCs can shoot two weapons because they can. The multi-tracker calls out that it can only be used in the shooting phase. It makes the flamers okay, but I would rather put the points into a twin-linked gun drone or a marker drone.

Best overwatch I have done so far is taking out a daemonprince in one turn with a basic tyrannofex. Granted, other than wings, it didn't have any upgrades.

Monstrous Creatures being able to fire two weapons is worded the exact same way though: "Monstrous Creatures can fire up to two of their weapons each Shooting phase-they must, of course, fire both of them at the same target." So if MCs can do it in overwatch, Crisis Suits can.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Neither of them can, it isn't ambiguous or unclear at all.

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

:o

TastyAvocado posted:

Neither of them can, it isn't ambiguous or unclear at all.

Well yeah, I agree. I'm just saying that if you're going to let MCs do it you better drat well let Crisis Suits do it because it's the exact same logic.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The limit of one weapon per dude also only applies in the shooting phase. If you hold that multi trackedon't work then everyone can fire everything they have on overwatch.

Multi trackers working is a better outcome than a scout biker firing his twin bolters, bolt pistol, shotgun, and tossing a krak grenade for good measure.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The limit of one weapon per dude also only applies in the shooting phase. If you hold that multi trackedon't work then everyone can fire everything they have on overwatch.

Multi trackers working is a better outcome than a scout biker firing his twin bolters, bolt pistol, shotgun, and tossing a krak grenade for good measure.

Bike couldn't anyways, bike units can only ever fire 1 weapon per rider! But:

"During the Shooting phase, units armed with ranged weapons can fire at the enemy...During the Shooting phase, a unit containing models armed with ranged weapons..." (small rulebook pg 12)

"An Overwatch attack is resolved like a normal shooting attack (albeit one resolved in the enemy's Assault phase) and uses all the normal rules for range, line of sight, cover saves and so on" (small rulebook pg 21)

"Monstrous Creatures can fire up to two of their weapons each Shooting phase" (small rulebook pg 48)

The Overwatch line is that the attacks are identical to shooting attacks made in the shooting phase. A multi tracker and and a MC can make a certain kind of shooting attack during the shooting phase; their rule language mirrors the general shooting rule language of "During the Shooting phase", which indicates that it's less a restriction on the MC/Multitracker being used in special situations like Overwatch, than a clarification that the extra shooting attack does NOT happen in your Assault phase or Movement phase. As a "normal shooting attack" for MC and multi tracker equipped models involves 2 weapons, and as the "Shooting phase" restriction seems to be clarifying that their extra shot accompanies their normal Shooting attacks, MC, multi tracker models, and anything else that allows for extra weapon usage during a normal shooting phase are allowed to use their extra weapons during an Overwatch attack.

Edit: As an additional clarification for why the Shooting phase text is NOT intended as a restriction for Overwatch - the Monstrous Creature rule technically allows them to shoot two of their weapons in the opponent's shooting phase if you just take the literal meaning of it, and they obviously can't shoot on the opponent's turn. It's not a literal limitation, it's an indication their extra weapon shot happens alongside their normal shots during the Shooting phase as opposed to prior (Movement) or after (Assault).

Direwolf fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 28, 2013

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Direwolf posted:

Bike couldn't anyways, bike units can only ever fire 1 weapon per rider! But:

"During the Shooting phase, units armed with ranged weapons can fire at the enemy...During the Shooting phase, a unit containing models armed with ranged weapons..." (small rulebook pg 12)

"An Overwatch attack is resolved like a normal shooting attack (albeit one resolved in the enemy's Assault phase) and uses all the normal rules for range, line of sight, cover saves and so on" (small rulebook pg 21)

"Monstrous Creatures can fire up to two of their weapons each Shooting phase" (small rulebook pg 48)

The Overwatch line is that the attacks are identical to shooting attacks made in the shooting phase. A multi tracker and and a MC can make a certain kind of shooting attack during the shooting phase; their rule language mirrors the general shooting rule language of "During the Shooting phase", which indicates that it's less a restriction on the MC/Multitracker being used in special situations like Overwatch, than a clarification that the extra shooting attack does NOT happen in your Assault phase or Movement phase. As a "normal shooting attack" for MC and multi tracker equipped models involves 2 weapons, and as the "Shooting phase" restriction seems to be clarifying that their extra shot accompanies their normal Shooting attacks, MC, multi tracker models, and anything else that allows for extra weapon usage during a normal shooting phase are allowed to use their extra weapons during an Overwatch attack.

Edit: As an additional clarification for why the Shooting phase text is NOT intended as a restriction for Overwatch - the Monstrous Creature rule technically allows them to shoot two of their weapons in the opponent's shooting phase if you just take the literal meaning of it, and they obviously can't shoot on the opponent's turn. It's not a literal limitation, it's an indication their extra weapon shot happens alongside their normal shots during the Shooting phase as opposed to prior (Movement) or after (Assault).

I honestly cannot tell which side of the argument you are arguing.

edit: Also what is a "normal" shooting attack? Perhaps one could infer that shooting two weapons is an "abnormal" shooting attack and as such the model would be unable to perform such an action outside of the shooting phase.

Cataphract fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 28, 2013

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Cataphract posted:

I honestly cannot tell which side of the argument you are arguing.

this is what happens when you're studying for the bar

tl;dr: "during the shooting phase" is not a limit Overwatch for any units, MC, multi-tracker, whatever.

Edit to respond to your edit: I think normal actually emphasizes the case for MC/multi-tracker abilities to be used; for a model with an ability like that, it's abnormal to only be limited to one weapon. Same goes for psychic powers or anything that mimics shooting - if a model would normally be able to shoot the weapon they can use it for overwatch, subject only to the rules that limit it normally. That's what "uses all the normal rules for range, line of sight, over saves and so on" is supposed to imply, Overwatch isn't limiting except for the Snap Shot aspect.

Direwolf fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 28, 2013

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
I've only played my Tau against a couple opponents, but I haven't encountered anyone that suggests Crisis suits multi-tracker only works during the shooting phase. We've always assumed that they were just able to shoot their weapons.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Direwolf posted:

tl;dr: "during the shooting phase" is not a limit Overwatch for any units, MC, multi-tracker, whatever.

Edit to respond to your edit: I think normal actually emphasizes the case for MC/multi-tracker abilities to be used; for a model with an ability like that, it's abnormal to only be limited to one weapon. Same goes for psychic powers or anything that mimics shooting - if a model would normally be able to shoot the weapon they can use it for overwatch, subject only to the rules that limit it normally. That's what "uses all the normal rules for range, line of sight, over saves and so on" is supposed to imply, Overwatch isn't limiting except for the Snap Shot aspect.

I see where you're coming from but I totally disagree. I think the phrase "in the shooting phase" is pretty hard to get around. The fact of the matter is that if that phrase was omitted then it would be clear that the model can use the ability whenever it would be allowed to fire. The fact that the phrase is there at all suggests that the rule is restricted to one phase of the game and does not work when the model is firing in any other phase of the game.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

NovaLion posted:

I've only played my Tau against a couple opponents, but I haven't encountered anyone that suggests Crisis suits multi-tracker only works during the shooting phase. We've always assumed that they were just able to shoot their weapons.

Be quiet with your anecdotal evidence.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

We are rolling for the King of All Cosmos!

Direwolf posted:

I was just going to say that I can see your lawyer-ism being applied to 40k. Well done.

In other news, I'm looking for advice on this army list. Any recommendations? I've yet to run it, though I played with most of this list before. It did well, but the Lord + bikes never made it into CC. Still, they worked well as a magnet for firepower and to scare the enemy HQ away from me, which allowed the rest of my army to just crush his remaining forces.

quote:

2000 Pts - Codex: Chaos Space Marines Roster

Total Roster Cost: 2000

Elite: Chaos Terminators (7#, 429 pts)
. . 1 Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour, 130 pts = (base cost 105 + Mark of Nurgle 15 + Gift of Mutation 10)
. . . . 1 The Murder Sword, 35 pts
. . 5 Chaos Terminators, 225 pts = 5 * 37 (base cost 31 + Mark of Nurgle 6) + Lightning Claw x5 15 + Combi-Plasmagun x5 25
. . . . 1 Terminator Champion, 39 pts = (base cost 33 + Mark of Nurgle 6)

Fast Attack: Chaos Bikers (7#, 227 pts)
. . 6 Chaos Bikers, 176 pts = 6 * 26 (base cost 20 + Mark of Nurgle 6) + Meltagun x2 20
. . . . 1 Biker Champion, 51 pts = (base cost 30 + Mark of Nurgle 6 + Power Sword x1 15)

Troops: Plague Marines (8#, 238 pts)
. . 6 Plague Marines, 164 pts = 6 * 24 (base cost 24) + Meltagun x2 20
. . . . 1 Plague Champion, 39 pts = (base cost 24 + Power Axe x1 15)
. . . . 1 Chaos Rhino, 35 pts

Troops: Plague Marines (8#, 238 pts)
. . 6 Plague Marines, 164 pts = 6 * 24 (base cost 24) + Meltagun x2 20

Troops: Plague Marines (8#, 248 pts)
. . 6 Plague Marines, 174 pts = 6 * 24 (base cost 24) + Plasma gun x2 30

Fast Attack: Heldrake (1#, 170 pts)
. . 1 Heldrake, 170 pts

Heavy Support: Chaos Vindicator (1#, 150 pts)
. . 1 Chaos Vindicator, 150 pts = (base cost 120 + Daemonic Possession 15 + Siege Shield 10 + Combi-Bolter 5)

Heavy Support: Maulerfiend (1#, 125 pts)
. . 1 Maulerfiend, 125 pts

Heavy Support: Forgefiend (1#, 175 pts)
. . 1 Forgefiend, 175 pts

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
The general consensus where I play is single weapon and any psychic power that requires a psyker test can't fire over watch, but I don't know if there are rules saying otherwise.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Cataphract posted:

Be quiet with your anecdotal evidence.

When I play with my Daemons I've always fired two weapons for overwatch and nobody's pointed it out as a problem.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

More exciting for me than anyone else really, but I just finished assembling (unless anyone spots some more cleanup needed) the first minis I have ever made, and I plan to Oath them in August

This Guardian Heavy Weapon Platform Crew is out all night to get lucky :rock:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Okay dudes, here's all the quote you need:

Pg51: More than one weapon
Unless otherwise stated, if a model has more than one Shooting weapon, he must choose which one to shoot - he cannot fire both in the same Shooting Phase.

The whole restriction is only applied in the shooting phase.

This quote also shows that GW loves to put "in the shooting phase" after every sentence in the shooting phase.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Finally got around to using that Kanban site posted a couple of pages back. Curious to see if anyone can beat this level of procrastination...

On the bright side, it has pushed me to paint 2 whole things since I started this board!

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

xtothez posted:

Finally got around to using that Kanban site posted a couple of pages back. Curious to see if anyone can beat this level of procrastination...

On the bright side, it has pushed me to paint 2 whole things since I started this board!

Oh I could totally out procrastinate that. But I can't be bothered filling out the kanban.

But seriously I have armies that are completely unassmembled.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Fitret posted:

I was just going to say that I can see your lawyer-ism being applied to 40k. Well done.

In other news, I'm looking for advice on this army list. Any recommendations? I've yet to run it, though I played with most of this list before. It did well, but the Lord + bikes never made it into CC. Still, they worked well as a magnet for firepower and to scare the enemy HQ away from me, which allowed the rest of my army to just crush his remaining forces.

Yeah though in all likelihood after Thursday I'll just become completely illiterate.

I've only played 2 games in 6th ed and lost both so grain of salt, but some questions about the list -
Do the termies footslog or deep strike?
What weapons are on the Heldrake / Forgefiend?

Your list seems really good against MEQ, lot of low AP weapons and scary targets - I could maybe see some issues versus a horde list but your guys might be tough enough to deal with that. Is 2000 points a common list size at this point?

Also what army program do you use?

ALSO SEND ME A PICTURE OF A PLAGUE MARINE UGHH

Direwolf fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cataphract posted:

But I can't be bothered filling out the kanban.
You win :v:

• Locked thread