Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Which DLC does Nevada Skies have a problem with? And do I just disable it when going to that DLC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

This looks pretty good, tweaked and separate head models for different races:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/51084/

Unfortunately, it's only for women.

Convicted Lovebot
Jan 29, 2011
Millenia I just want to say thank you for your awesome weapon mods. That G3 is beautiful.

also I didn't know you did comedy, Naky.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

SplitSoul posted:

This looks pretty good, tweaked and separate head models for different races:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/51084/

Unfortunately, it's only for women.

I've been screwing around with this today. It's a half-working modder's resource which, unforunately, only works on the player races it adds. I've been trying to implement it into the base races, but..

:pwn:

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Convicted Lovebot posted:

Millenia I just want to say thank you for your awesome weapon mods. That G3 is beautiful.

also I didn't know you did comedy, Naky.

You can pick up a few things over time when you've been sitting on a comedy forum for 12 or 13 years I guess.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

A Sassy Dog posted:

I've been screwing around with this today. It's a half-working modder's resource which, unforunately, only works on the player races it adds. I've been trying to implement it into the base races, but..

:pwn:

What the hell.

I can't even begin to comprehend what went wrong there. FaceGen data not compatible or what?

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

SplitSoul posted:

What the hell.

I can't even begin to comprehend what went wrong there. FaceGen data not compatible or what?
FaceGen data is showing in FNVEdit as repeating 00s. It works perfectly well until I try to modify the General attributes of the character. I got the model half-working as a replacer for the base race but the FaceGen data wasn't quite working. The Caucasian and Hispanic females were coming out.. a bit Dunmerish in the chin and eyebrow departments. I made some more modifications and got the model matching up properly with presets, but they can't be changed without glitching.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
What's the general consensus on Monster Wars? I've played with it a little bit and it's pretty fun if you don't care about MY IMMERSION~ or have an open mind about lore-friendlyness.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?
I just picked up NV at the end of the Summer Sale. I'm curious if there's any consensus about a set of mods that would be good for a first time run-through? I'm thinking mostly vanilla, with visual enhancements and maybe anything you guys can recommend to "unfuck" some stuff (I'm definitely thinking about getting Gtab's mod at least). Any recommendations for a good starting set would be great.

(Seriously, my mega-mod for FO3 is over 6GB and I don't want to go that overboard for my first time help :ohdear:)

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I just picked up NV at the end of the Summer Sale. I'm curious if there's any consensus about a set of mods that would be good for a first time run-through? I'm thinking mostly vanilla, with visual enhancements and maybe anything you guys can recommend to "unfuck" some stuff (I'm definitely thinking about getting Gtab's mod at least). Any recommendations for a good starting set would be great.

(Seriously, my mega-mod for FO3 is over 6GB and I don't want to go that overboard for my first time help :ohdear:)

First off, CASM is practically required, otherwise your saves get bloated and crashy after awhile. I also find Darnified UI almost a requirement as well. If you're looking for visual enhancements, get NMC's Texture Pack and Nevada Skies or Project Reality for weather. If you don't want to start with the Courier's Stash stuff, then Integration - Courier's Stash sorts the stuff out to leveled lists and shop inventories. Also get WMX for Weapon modding purposes.

Since you're looking for mostly a vanilla experience, I won't recommend any rebalance mods or anything of the sort, though I would recommend Project Nevada's Core modules for some ease of use enhancements (like sprint and the grenade key), though I recommend into at least looking into CCO (Cirosan's Classic Overhaul), since it is excellent and mostly improves on the base game.

Those mods are the ones I recommend the most.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?
Thanks for the recommendations, Colgate. Now if only Nexus would stop deciding that the mods I'm trying to download don't exist, I'll be set!

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I think it's been hit by the rolling downtime so it should be fixed...eventually.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Well, I took the plunge with TTW. It worked well enough, but it just tanked my performance. I was lucky to get 25FPS even on the lowest settings and my mod list cut down to only the bare essentials (just WMX and HUD/UI mods). I was only scraping by to begin with, I guess stacking all the FO3 assets on top of it was just too much for my aging laptop to handle (I was hitting 1GB of RAM use just starting the drat thing, which I usually only hit after a few hours of playing a heavily modded NV). I'm putting together a proper desktop next month so I'll be giving it another shot then. Hopefully the extra horsepower will get me around the technical issues because exploring the Capitol Wasteland with NV mechanics was pretty loving cool.

Horns fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 27, 2013

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Horns posted:

Urgh. I went through the process of rebuilding the FOMOD again with Gopher's guide (once I solved the 'missing source' error that kept popping up in FOMM). First-person rifle and pistol animations look a lot better, but pistols are still a little weird. When I go into iron sights it looks like my character's hand descends from the top of the screen. It does this with all the optional animations except for core. Not sure what the problem is.

Using 100% vanilla armor and weapons (minus texture replacers for the latter, which shouldn't be an issue anyway) for testing purposes.

Basically you're using some guns with improperly designed sighting nodes for iron sights and poo poo. WAM may still be hosed, but assuming it's correctly installed, basically, most guns have nodes on their models that tells the game where/how to align the model for iron sight sin first person. Some guns, that don't have these features, like a variety of energy weapons, merely zoom the camera forward. When you're using WAM, the guns are off from the normal position and the game doesn't (or can't, i suppose) fix this, since the guns have no sightlines, and/or they are disabled.

If they're all extra guns, it's probably because the sighting nodes are hosed. You may have to learn how to fix them manually, or there may be some geck bugery you can use to fix it.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Horns posted:

Well, I took the plunge with TTW. It worked well enough, but it just tanked my performance. I was lucky to get 25FPS even on the lowest settings and my mod list cut down to only the bare essentials (just WMX and HUD/UI mods). I was only scraping by to begin with, I guess stacking all the FO3 assets on top of it was just too much for my aging laptop to handle (I was hitting 1GB of RAM use just starting the drat thing, which I usually only hit after a few hours of playing a heavily modded NV). I'm putting together a proper desktop next month so I'll be giving it another shot then. Hopefully the extra horsepower will get me around the technical issues because exploring the Capitol Wasteland with NV mechanics was pretty loving cool.

When I first started playing with TTW, I had a lot of buggyness inside vault 101. I pushed forward into the capitol wasteland anyway, and once I made it out of the vault it was a more stable experience than I ever had playing Fallout 3. If you have made it to Megaton and you're still having these issues, then give it a go when you get your desktop. If not, push a little farther and see if it smooths out.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Hobo on Fire posted:

When I first started playing with TTW, I had a lot of buggyness inside vault 101. I pushed forward into the capitol wasteland anyway, and once I made it out of the vault it was a more stable experience than I ever had playing Fallout 3. If you have made it to Megaton and you're still having these issues, then give it a go when you get your desktop. If not, push a little farther and see if it smooths out.
It was mostly fine in the vault. A frame dip here or there, nothing too alarming. It was when I got out and started exploring the world map that it fell apart. Standing still I could just barely get a constant 30FPS, but moving around turned it into a stuttering mess, fluctuating between 20 and 25FPS. My poor laptop was really struggling to do even that. I used every performance saving trick I've learned after god only knows how long spent tweaking NV and the total gain was maybe a frame or two, and made the game look like warmed over dogshit.

I have to shelve it for now, but I haven't given up entirely. It's definitely going to be the very first thing I do on the new PC. In the meantime reinstalling FO3 with Wanderer's Edition and an iron sight mod should scratch the itch (well, as soon as the Nexus servers stop throwing a fit).

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I have a question about HP ammo. I've avoided it like crazy. It says it triples DT, so 5 becomes 15, 20 becomes 60 etc. Now, I recently got the perk that lets me see the DT of my target and people I know that are wearing 20 DT armour are being showed as having 0 DT.

I have the perk that gives me 3 DT even when not wearing anything, so I was wondering maybe HP ammo only increases a persons natural DT, not their armour's DT? Or does it increase both natural DT + armour DT and the perk showing the target having 0 DT is a bug?

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
I'm clearly in way over my head, but I figure I'll ask anyway. Is there some easy way to:

-Take a clipart picture of a basketball and put it on a securitrons monitor? I tried converting a 256x256 pic to a .dds using a dds converter, then I just copied one of the securitron screens, edited it in nifskope and had it use that specified texture, and made a duplicate reference in GECK that uses that screen instead, but it doesn't show up in-game. The bot itself does, but his screen is just black.

-Copy the basketball .nif and .dds and somehow make it an equippable item that covers most of a persons head, as if they were some sort of deformed basketball mutant

-Copy the basketball .nif and .dds again and turn it into a bullet that shoots from a gun. Or a throwable grenade or something

These questions are all really really dumb but I have no idea how to do anything so I figure I should ask (I'm just loving around making a dumb mod for my friends)

EDIT: Basically if the dude that made this mod would ever share how he did it, I'd be happy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuYUEtxT6bU

potaties fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 27, 2013

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

I have a question about HP ammo. I've avoided it like crazy. It says it triples DT, so 5 becomes 15, 20 becomes 60 etc. Now, I recently got the perk that lets me see the DT of my target and people I know that are wearing 20 DT armour are being showed as having 0 DT.

I have the perk that gives me 3 DT even when not wearing anything, so I was wondering maybe HP ammo only increases a persons natural DT, not their armour's DT? Or does it increase both natural DT + armour DT and the perk showing the target having 0 DT is a bug?

Ammo variations own, stop being a pussy. HP ammo also adds a pile of damage, making it well worthwhile on lightly armored baddies.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So I'm planning on coming back to New Vegas after not playing it in forever. I think I'll probably grab the J. Sawyer mod and The Armory. I think I'm gonna try to stay kind of light on mods, but it's been so long since I've played that I don't really know much about what's out there now. Anyone wanna make some recommendations?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Yerok posted:

So I'm planning on coming back to New Vegas after not playing it in forever. I think I'll probably grab the J. Sawyer mod and The Armory. I think I'm gonna try to stay kind of light on mods, but it's been so long since I've played that I don't really know much about what's out there now. Anyone wanna make some recommendations?

CASM is a necessity. I'd say Cirosan's Classic Overhaul and JSawyer work well together. LPAM is good for extra armors, Project Nevada is good for a variety of things, and is very modular. There's a ton of little mods that make life easier, like Selective Fire, Manual Reload, Quick trade, etc. Weapon Animation Replacers, which you'll need anyway, is great. Gopher's oHud and uHud stuff. DarnIfied UI. My own ammo master is low key and adds useful stuff and will eventually be updated and re-remastered if I ever get my computer fixed.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I like to add Outside Bets whenever I play. It adds in mostly finished content that wasn't implemented and stuff that was patched out in later versions of the game. CCO is also good if you're bored of the vanilla system.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

I like to add Outside Bets whenever I play. It adds in mostly finished content that wasn't implemented and stuff that was patched out in later versions of the game. CCO is also good if you're bored of the vanilla system.

Perfect. I was really bummed when Obsidian removed tons of NPCs in the later patches- made events like going into Primm for the first time or the 188 even more desolate than before. It was a completely different experience playing the game on release compared to after the final patches.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Lord Lambeth posted:

What was patched out of later versions?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

FadedReality posted:

What was patched out of later versions?

Some of the powder gangers at Primm, that minefield of trapped NCR troopers near Forlorn Hope and Nelson, Lots of NPCs in the general wasteland as well as Nelson, Hope, the 188 Trading post, and Camp McCarran. Most were trimmed because of the memory limit on consoles and patches have to be universal across all systems.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Lord Lambeth posted:

Some of the powder gangers at Primm, that minefield of trapped NCR troopers near Forlorn Hope and Nelson, Lots of NPCs in the general wasteland as well as Nelson, Hope, the 188 Trading post, and Camp McCarran. Most were trimmed because of the memory limit on consoles and patches have to be universal across all systems.

Are there any of the Uncut mods that aren't recommended? I just started a fourth run now that I have all the DLC and can use JSawyer so I was thinking JSawyer, CCO, NV Uncut, the Interiors mod if that didn't turn into a clusterfuck, and the Bison Steve mod.

I'm apprehensive as I've been getting an obnoxious amount of CTDs lately on my high levle character that CASM takes the sting out of but I don't even run that many mods:

quote:

[X] FalloutNV.esm
[X] DeadMoney.esm
[X] HonestHearts.esm
[X] OldWorldBlues.esm
[X] LonesomeRoad.esm
[X] GunRunnersArsenal.esm
[X] ClassicPack.esm
[X] MercenaryPack.esm
[X] TribalPack.esm
[X] CaravanPack.esm
[X] NSkies URWLified.esm
[X] Primary Needs HUD.esm
[X] OWB Moddable FIDO.esp
[X] OWB More Vendor Caps.esp
[X] OWB Stealth Field Suit.esp
[X] OWB Valence Extra.esp
[X] OWB Valence Mask.esp
[X] CASM.esp
[X] The Mod Configuration Menu.esp
[X] CRL9K_ThisMachineSound.esp
[X] EMR-StealthSuitMkII.esp
[X] dD - Enhanced Blood Main NV.esp
[X] dD-Less Screen Blood Time.esp
[X] Delay DLC - DM + HH + OWB + LR + GRA.esp
[X] Fellout.esp
[X] Fellout-OWB.esp
[X] NSkies URWLifiedOWB.esp
[X] NSkies URWLifiedHH.esp
[X] NSkies URWLifiedDM.esp

I use FNV4GB and the latest NVSE. I thought it might need a bashed patch but unless something there has the dirtiest edits that have ever been edited I don't see where anything would conflict and require one.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

FadedReality posted:

Are there any of the Uncut mods that aren't recommended?
Outside Bets is the only one I'd recommend without reservation.

Freeside Open I also recommend, but with reservations: What this one does besides restoring cut content is merging the two Freeside cells into one worldspace, making the area look a lot better. The problem is that Bethesda's Gamebryo isn't really an efficient engine and this new large area with all those NPCs running around places a lot of exra strain on an already fragile engine. This can result in your game stuttering, slowing down, crashing and freezing if your hardware isn't up the engine's absurd demands. You also can't freely uninstall this mod from an ongoing save if you've been in/near freeside.
It really does make the Freeside area look a lot better, so it's still a mod that I would recommend. But before comitting to a playthrough with it installed you really should test it first by starting a new game with it installed, moving your character over to New Vegas and see if your computer starts producing smoke.

As for the rest: I'd read the descriptions for each first to see if it's something that you want to put in your game.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Some cool weapons and armours to cannibalise here:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/51163/

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Yerok posted:

Project Nevada core is also nice for the UI improvements. Categorized inventory and throwing grenades with G alone make it worth it, and sprinting/bullet-time can be cool if you don't care about VATS (at least you'll have something to do with your AP).

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Raygereio posted:

Outside Bets is the only one I'd recommend without reservation.

Yeah, what this guy said. There are some Uncut mods for Freeside which they stripped out from the general Freeside open mod though.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
PS ALWAYS USE A MERGED PATCH

Sincerely, all of your goddamned bugs.

Especially ammo ones.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
The recent nexus woes were annoying but not really critical, until I went in today and realized it had wiped out my tracked mods list :negative:

At least most of them are in the OP of this thread, which is nice, but ... yeah, rebuilding that is going to be annoying.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

Especially ammo ones.

Is a bashed patch sufficient? Or should I go back to using FNVEdit for those? Because I'm using a bashed patch and I'm having some weird problems with certain ammo types being oddly missing from vendors.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

AHungryRobot posted:

Is a bashed patch sufficient? Or should I go back to using FNVEdit for those?

TBH, I've never really used bashed patches; merged patches have always done me fine. but the most common errors (like the ammo thing earlier with a shotgun) is almost always caused by a lack of merged patch. It fixes numerous bugs caused by using mods with conflicting details, because almost no one will dynamically populate loaded lists with a script (Project Nevada is an exception. Project Nevada is a Good Mod).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Anybody got a mirror of Outside Bets? Can't download anything from the Nexus site.

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:
Is it safe to install Outside Bets into my ongoing game (which has tens of hours of playtime since I'm half-way through my second DLC) or should I start a new game if I want to check it out? I didn't see any warnings in the mod description but thought I'd make sure.

Snoop Radley fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 28, 2013

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I think you should be fine, especially since you're in a DLC

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Snoop Radley posted:

Is it safe to install Open Bets into my ongoing game (which has tens of hours of playtime since I'm half-way through my second DLC) or should I start a new game if I want to check it out? I didn't see any warnings in the mod description but thought I'd make sure.
You're fine so long as you install the mod on a save that isn't in a cell that's modified. It probably won't do any serious damage even then, but any changes made in that cell might be a little weird and not implemented quite right. For example, I tried it on a save after I'd cleared Primm of enemies and saved the deputy but before I found a new town sheriff. Two seconds after loading in, I got swarmed by 5 naked Powder Gangers. The funny part to me was that they actually had armor in their inventories. I guess they just didn't feel like wearing them.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Snoop Radley posted:

Is it safe to install Open Bets into my ongoing game (which has tens of hours of playtime since I'm half-way through my second DLC) or should I start a new game if I want to check it out? I didn't see any warnings in the mod description but thought I'd make sure.

The best thing you can do is go to an indoor cell on your save without the mods loaded and rest for 72 hours total. This resets the cells to make sure any place you've been that might be altered by the mod isn't interfered with by your save.

SpookyLizard posted:

Especially ammo ones.

I fired up FNVEdit and made a merged patch. It didn't have any changes in it. I checked the training manual to see if maybe my memory was failing me but no, I did it right and it just made an empty esp. Did something get changed in the way FNVEdit automatically builds a patch since last time I used it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So what's the best mod for overhauled difficulty and complexity. My best analogue would be the Requiem mod for Skyrim if anyone's played it. I'm looking for something that makes the game harder and more rogue-like, maybe more like STALKER?

I see project Nevada in the OP but I'm not sure if it's what I'm looking for. I'm not sure if anyone has made the mod I want.