Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Why did we never see Aris Boch again? He was :smug: personified and ruled.

And he was Flash Gordon, goddamnit. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hewlett posted:

And he was Flash Gordon, goddamnit. :argh:

He was that Sam Jones? :monocle:

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Luigi Thirty posted:

Why did we never see Aris Boch again? He was :smug: personified and ruled.

After I saw that episode, I found myself really wishing for a Castle Wolfenstein movie -- Sam Jones (as Aris Bosch) was PERFECT for Sgt. B.J. Blascowitz.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

On one of the special features they were talking about how the Air Force wouldn't let them have romance between Carter and O'Neill. Did they mean they didn't want to depict a relationship between two officers or that the Air Force didn't want them showing it on screen?

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

Now a days they would be satisfied with her not being sexually assaulted by O'Neil.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

alg posted:

On one of the special features they were talking about how the Air Force wouldn't let them have romance between Carter and O'Neill. Did they mean they didn't want to depict a relationship between two officers or that the Air Force didn't want them showing it on screen?

If I'm interpreting your question correctly, you're asking whether the Air Force had a problem with superior officers being shown dating their direct inferiors or if the Air Force had a problem with Air Force officers being shown, on screen, having sex with anyone at all. In that case, it's definitely the former. Carter had many relationships with other officers who weren't her superiors and the show had no problem depicting sex. It was the idea of romance down a specific chain of command that they rejected.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Well, thanks to the wonders of Netflix, I marathoned Atlantis. It ended too suddenly for me, and now I'm like Ronon being cold turkey'd off the Wraith Enzyme. :argh:

And yes, first contact was awesome especially the Asgard reveal. Makes me wonder how much bickering would occur if you locked O'Neill, Jackson, Sheppard and McKay in a room together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfUoAP90EiQ
(Jump to 6:45)

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Falken posted:

Well, thanks to the wonders of Netflix, I marathoned Atlantis. It ended too suddenly for me, and now I'm like Ronon being cold turkey'd off the Wraith Enzyme. :argh:

And yes, first contact was awesome especially the Asgard reveal. Makes me wonder how much bickering would occur if you locked O'Neill, Jackson, Sheppard and McKay in a room together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfUoAP90EiQ
(Jump to 6:45)

:smug: "I'm Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise."
:v: "Your dogtag says otherwise."
:smug: "They're lying."

I love that exchange so much. :allears:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

My name's not Kirk. It's Skywalker... Luke... Skywalker.

Also, I love how Zelenka actually speaks czech.

e: I would have LOVED to see a scene of Sheppard and McKay arguing over which is superior, Startrek ships or theirs, and Rodney slips in a dig at Voyager and it taking 70 years to get across the milky way, when they can ferry from the Milky Way to Pegasus in around 3 weeks on the Daedalus.

Falken fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 27, 2013

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Falken posted:

It's because David Nykl, the actor playing him, is.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Falken posted:

Security clearance?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Noni posted:

If I'm interpreting your question correctly, you're asking whether the Air Force had a problem with superior officers being shown dating their direct inferiors or if the Air Force had a problem with Air Force officers being shown, on screen, having sex with anyone at all. In that case, it's definitely the former. Carter had many relationships with other officers who weren't her superiors and the show had no problem depicting sex. It was the idea of romance down a specific chain of command that they rejected.

I was mostly asking if the Air Force actually told them what to do.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Falken posted:

My name's not Kirk. It's Skywalker... Luke... Skywalker.

Someday you should find out what he's actually saying when he goes off on those Czech rants. It's freaking hilarious.

Things like "I can't work with these actors" and "That's it. I'll kill him. He is a moron, total idiot."

Effingham fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 27, 2013

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Effingham posted:

Someday you should find out what he's actually saying when he goes off on those Czech rants. It's freaking hilarious.

Things like "I can't work with these actors" and "That's it. I'll kill him. He is a moron, total idiot."

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Radek_Zelenka#Czech_outbursts

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

Mrens posted:

Now a days they would be satisfied with her not being sexually assaulted by O'Neil.

And then General Hammond dismissing the charges against O'Neil after he had been found guilty.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Effingham posted:

He tries to hide it, but deep down, I'm the wind beneath his wings. :3:

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

alg posted:

I was mostly asking if the Air Force actually told them what to do.

I think it was mostly a political thing, insofar as the Air Force gave a lot of advice for verisimilitude, and was also kind with providing things like props, sets, etc., but all of that contingent on the show producing a generally positive portrayal of the Air Force, with "generally positive" being partly defined by the advice given by the Air Force.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Probably been posted hundreds of times before, but David Hewlett seems to have taken Atlantis' cancellation worse than I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HMV3R0jRq4

e: Had no idea that the actress that plays Jeannie Miller is actually David Hewlett's sister. That makes their scenes even more :3:

e2: Really, really wish SG1 was on Netflix UK.

Falken fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 28, 2013

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Falken posted:

Probably been posted hundreds of times before, but David Hewlett seems to have taken Atlantis' cancellation worse than I did.

e: Had no idea that the actress that plays Jeannie Miller is actually David Hewlett's brother. That makes their scenes even more :3:

Poor David Hewlett. :smith:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Falken posted:

e: Had no idea that the actress that plays Jeannie Miller is actually David Hewlett's brother. That makes their scenes even more :3:

If you haven't seen it, definitely track downA Dogs Breakfast

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Falken posted:

That would certainly add a new dynamic to the series.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Falken posted:

He's got :smug: down perfectly, hire him for something that demands :smug: dammit.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Rhyno posted:

That would certainly add a new dynamic to the series.
Whoops!

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So I was watching "It's Good to Be King" the other day, and I have a question - what "ditty" was Maybourne's MInstrel Band playing when Jack came through the gate? I've tried googling and people arguing that it was supposed to be the Simpsons/MacGyver theme, but it sounds NOTHING (and I mean not even remotely) like either. I even went to the trouble of listening to the commentary track and there was nothing.

Do any of you know what it was *supposed* to be? Maybe a Grateful Dead song given Maybourne named the cemetery after them?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Wow so Apophis and Sha're's baby turned out white. Didn't see that coming.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Falken posted:

e: Had no idea that the actress that plays Jeannie Miller is actually David Hewlett's sister. That makes their scenes even more :3:

Dr. Rodney McKay as David Hewlett...as Dr. Rodney McKay? :psyduck:

Luigi Thirty posted:

He's got :smug: down perfectly, hire him for something that demands :smug: dammit.

I have my fingers crossed that he shows up on Continuum one of these days.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

alg posted:

I.. um..

Holy crap, that never occurred to me. You have sprained my brain.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Holy poo poo, Richard Dean Anderson really looks his age now, the weight gain doesn't help. At least Joe Flanigan's still got plenty of years of being sexy.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

alg posted:

I assumed they used one of the crew's baby for that scene.

Shifu was mixed race when grown iirc.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Falken posted:

Holy poo poo, Richard Dean Anderson really looks his age now, the weight gain doesn't help. At least Joe Flanigan's still got plenty of years of being sexy.

I wouldn't be so sure...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ft0Ywyry58

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't know what you're talking about. He looks just as I remember him on the show.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

That's just really lovely lighting

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

twoot posted:

I assumed they used one of the crew's baby for that scene.

Shifu was mixed race when grown iirc.

babys's skin doesn't produce it's final amount of melanin right at birth. it can take months for a baby's skin to darken to it's final color. I don't remember how old the baby was when we saw it, but I'm guessing less than 6 months...

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Snak posted:

babys's skin doesn't produce it's final amount of melanin right at birth. it can take months for a baby's skin to darken to it's final color. I don't remember how old the baby was when we saw it, but I'm guessing less than 6 months...

Ummm...

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

That was a few seasons later. He's talking about in season 2 when we see him after he's born.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Maybe Daniel is the father :shobon:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
And then Apophis did all that accelerated aging poo poo too.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I watched SG-1 when it aired (in fact watching the premier on Showtime with surprise boobs was a wonderful thing for teen me), I probably missed quite a few episodes but I was pretty faithful to it until the whole tonal shift with Jack leaving and Claudia Black joining the show (who I actually really love), in fact the last episode I remember was something about her being trapped on a planet in the Ori galaxy? Specifics are fuzzy.

Only caught the Atlantis premiere, never really followed it. Loved Universe though, what a great show.

I've decided to fix the issue of Atlantis. Am currently on the seventh episode, 'Poisoning the Well'. Random thoughts:

- Oh my god I hate Teyla, I don't know what it is, maybe her derpy line delivery. And apparently I get to hear her sing at some point, I want off this train
- Weir is... okay. Her butting heads with Shepard in the pilot was graon-inducing, but other than that she's not horrible like Teyla, she's just 'there'
- Shepard and McKay steal the goddamned show. I love these guys. Especially the scene in the shadow episode. Shepards face when he goes "... I shot him" :riker: is just pure gold
- The Wraith don't seem as neat as the Goa'uld. They're basically space vampires, eh? I kind of like how the episode 'Thirty-Eight Minutes' implies that they evolved from giant ticks, but why do the whole Star Trek thing of having EVERY alien species look like humans with appliances?
- 'Childhood's End' was such a horrible episode. gently caress, I need brain bleach

Edit: I think part of the reason I'm really getting into this is that it's purely an artifact of the TV canon. I don't have to deal with the complete tonal shift going from the movie to SG-1 - O'Neil being basically a different character, Jackson almost immediately forgetting all about Sha're, the Goa'uld going from Ra being the last survivor of an incredibly ancient race to squabbling galactic parasites, blah blah blah.

Edit: There is no way they're 7 episodes in and coming up with a Wraith vaccine. I bet the Hoffans will all use it and then we find out it ends up killing you a week after taking it or something.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 30, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like how you have nothing to say about Lt. Ford. Yep, that character just kind of exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Mu Zeta posted:

I like how you have nothing to say about Lt. Ford. Yep, that character just kind of exists.

At the time when Atlantis was airing its first season, Ford was so loving boring that I developed a theory that this was done entirely on purpose. Later, he would be revealed to be some sort of undercover Ancient observer dude. Maybe some sort of guardian of Atlantis. One day, they'd casually contact earth and someone would say, "Ford who? There's no Aiden Ford stationed with you!" And then the rouse would be uncovered. His backstory was perfect: Only child, no parents, seems to have never done anything besides military service, has an ancient name that refers to a Celtic god. There's a real-life prominent theory that the Celts were the Atlanteans to whom Plato referred. Celts were rather undeveloped in the Stargate world as compared to a lot of other groups, so they weren't tied down by canon.

There had to be, I believed, a non-earthling joining the team at some point, as that was practically a biblical commandment for shows like Stargate (Teyla didn't fit the profile at the time). My theory was that the non-earthling was already present, and this further explained the lovely character. Ford being lukewarm and utterly forgettable was a way of maintaining his cover and making the reveal more interesting. It was all perfect and I was just biding my time until the big reveal when I would tell everyone proudly that I called that plot twist from the beginning.

I refused to believe that anyone would intentionally write such a bland, redundant character without a plan for him becoming less redundant.

Nope. It was just lovely writing.