Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Sometimes if you have a shitload of cores, hyperthreading can slow rendering down. Helps with 2-4 cores, but more and not so much.

eg: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/133121-maximized-performance-comparing-the-effects-of-hyper-threading-software-updates

e: Checked the vray forum and just found out some parts of vray 1.5 are single threaded - just memory management for displacement/proxies and using hyperthreading can make it poo poo the bed a bit because it doesn't get a full core to use.
I've heard 2.0 is better, but may not be perfect either.

Either way, test again with it turned off. Send a still to it with HT on, and a still to it with it off and test DR again. Also log into it and render the same things locally, make sure it isnt a networking issue.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
I think that did it. The buckets are individually slower, but that's comparing a 3.2ghz bucket on the i7 with a 2.0ghz bucket on the e5. Thanks a poo poo ton, man.

e: "that" being disabling hyperthreading

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 26, 2013

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
The shotgun party was a good time, free bowling and drinks for most of the night was pretty sweet (we got there early enough to snag a lane thankfully). SideFX party was fun, but I'm definitely happy I picked up a full pass because the exhibitions floor was pretty beat. A lot of interesting talks/courses, some far too technical, some surprisingly nontechnical, but all in all it was a good time. Always good to see friends again.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Is 3DS Max 2014 64bit only?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Trintintin posted:

How do those BOF things work? I've never actually been to one. Is it just like a bunch of dudes hanging out shooting the poo poo or is it like more specialized talks. Also for those interested, Framestore (like Pixar) is doing applications on their website for Siggraph interviews. Sign up for one here: http://tinyurl.com/n5wlxgf

Having to write cover letters for potential interviews at Siggraph is weird.

Edit:

The student film I worked on last year finally went public yay! https://vimeo.com/69668528

Cool, I saw this advertised on CGMeetUp. Looks quite professional, though the ground textures are bothering me a bit because they're too regular. I'll have to watch the whole thing when I get a better internet connection!

I finished a short film myself recently, trying to make CG with an anime vibe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAvo3nG07pY
Honestly I don't think Maya can do that very well, at least not with its default shaders. The only place I've seen it done that actually captures the spirit of anime is in the film 009: ReCyborg. But it was an interesting project to work on. Wish I had experimented with a bit more dynamic action scenes though, but that's mostly a result of my storyboarding needing practice.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Is 3DS Max 2014 64bit only?

It would appear so.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Another bunny in zbrush. Design by Gris Grimly.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Vray dudes.

A very small dot appears inside a render i'm doing at the same spot no matter what I do. The only way i've found to make it disappear is to lower the fresnel IOR value of the material the dot appears on to 2.1 or lower.

What causes this glitch?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
No idea, what does it look like?

Reflection of the sun? tried changing the specular value separate to the reflection? Check the render elements to see if it's only in reflection and uncheck 'time independent' in the dmc samples and see if it moves between frames.

e: are you using any filters? Are your AA settings high enough/producing a clean result, and does changing them alter it at all?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

cubicle gangster posted:

No idea, what does it look like?

Reflection of the sun? tried changing the specular value separate to the reflection? Check the render elements to see if it's only in reflection and uncheck 'time independent' in the dmc samples and see if it moves between frames.

e: are you using any filters? Are your AA settings high enough/producing a clean result, and does changing them alter it at all?

The Texture it appeared on changed a lot so I probably can't reproduce it anymore. I'm using the Mitchell-Netravali filter but it works fine now.

here's the render in question :

Is it washed out? it's kinda hard to say as my monitors aren't calibrated properly for poo poo.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'd skip using any sharpening filters, they can produce some strange errors that would otherwise never show up. Render with 'none' or 'area' and sharpen it in post.
Turning on sub pixel mapping and clamping output to around 4 or 5 is something you could try next time.

The image doesn't seem washed out. It seems a bit under-lit though - you could probably pump quite a bit more light into that space.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

cubicle gangster posted:

I'd skip using any sharpening filters, they can produce some strange errors that would otherwise never show up. Render with 'none' or 'area' and sharpen it in post.
Turning on sub pixel mapping and clamping output to around 4 or 5 is something you could try next time.

The image doesn't seem washed out. It seems a bit under-lit though - you could probably pump quite a bit more light into that space.

By putting more light would you recommend placing a fill light or just boost the multiplier of the vray sun that's illuminating through the window?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
you're using a sun/sky I take it?
You can un-link the values if you drag the sky into the material editor (make sure you re-link the sun) and change the values separately. I'd recommend another 50% for the sun, and double the sky intensity.

I feel like I should save this fusion file with a warning or an apology or something...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

Watched lots of tutorials, messed about with Zbrush for half a day.
BTW how can I go about fixing the eyes? I tried to make them with polygroups first, but that didn't work out. Then I made them a subtool and deleted them and the result is babby's first Jason Voorhes mask.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Here's how it's going down right now:

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hi thread

I quit my job in film cos I wasn't sure I was cut out for the industry, travelled around Europe for 6 months
and am now back at home with time to do my own 3d stuff for a while.

Been reading through the thread, there's some cool stuff showing up in here

I made this in the last 9 days or so as kind of a study and to try stuff out and get back into doing 3d.
Loosely based on an image I found online and wanting to do something different from the white adults people usually
model.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

EoinCannon posted:

Hi thread

I quit my job in film cos I wasn't sure I was cut out for the industry, travelled around Europe for 6 months

I made this in the last 9 days or so as kind of a study and to try stuff out and get back into doing 3d.
Loosely based on an image I found online and wanting to do something different from the white adults people usually
model.

I am disgusted by the amount of your talent. Ugh.

How do you do your cloth stuff? Just brute force modeling?

Two things:

1.) Pretty much the only thing I can see right off the bat that would "need work" is the gums. Something is slightly off about them. Maybe it's because there's no or little sss?

2.) I'd be interested to hear what went down with the film industry to make you (someone with your talent) feel like you weren't cut out for it.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

EoinCannon posted:

Hi thread

model.

Looking good! The only things I can notice are:

• The ears look a bit to claylike, they need some more SSS I think
  • The gums need something more as well as above poster said, probably SSS but maybe more spec/wetness
  • The main thing I think overall is: People are dirty. The clothes are way too clean and the face seems like it's just been wiped down with a dry cloth to get rid of any oils or dirts.
Modellingwise though drat man you're still hitting it out of the park, and overall this is still a fantastic piece, keep at it, I'm absolutely positive there's a job out there for you doing what you really love.

Edit: Also after staring at it for ages I think the skull is a tiny bit too high/tall too, even if it's supposed to be fairly high combined with me not being used to seeing receeded hairlines, it still seems too high.

Jewel fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 2, 2013

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Personal project i've worked on for about a month.

Pieces are missing and it could benefit from better pose but i'm really really burned-out on it.

I think it was worth it though.

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni

Can you post the reference image you were using? There are just a few things that jump out to me:

-There seems to be a disconnect between some of the parts that should have stronger relationships. The teeth don't feel like they are attached to the gums and they are working together, if that makes sense.
-The ear seems like it could use a little more light shining through the ear to show how thin it really is.

And that's it, I think. The hair is the best part imo. Great job as always man. I'm also interested to hear about your film experience. Actually, I'm interested in hearing experiences from people in any of the various fields. We have VFX, games, animation, etc dudes in here right? I've had a drastically different experience working in random CG fields than a lot of film and game guys I know.

Also, here is something I've been working on in my spare time. It's based on an old character I used to draw all the time when I was kid. I wanted to come up with something I could actually develop as a functional toy that people would actually like to collect or something. The button on the back would, in theory, make the wings flap or something.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the feedback folks, good to have stuff to fix. Gums have sss but maybe too much and need more bump to effect the visible wetness. He does look a bit clean, maybe a speckley reduction of spec would work. As for my experience in film I'll post something when I'm not in bed in a tablet.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Nice work on the cgtalk props!

And if you ever consider doing some arch viz in south beach, give me a call...

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Kikka posted:

Watched lots of tutorials, messed about with Zbrush for half a day.
BTW how can I go about fixing the eyes? I tried to make them with polygroups first, but that didn't work out. Then I made them a subtool and deleted them and the result is babby's first Jason Voorhes mask.

I think the reason it didn't work out is because you forgot to add group loops.

Create the polygroup for the holes from mask (ctrl + w) and then go to geometry -> group loops. Make group loops first and THEN delete the polygroup which represents the holes. That way the holes are less jagged.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm doing this book trailer that involves a creature. I stupidly got myself into a pickle by creating a concept that shows one of the CG creatures without knowing how the gently caress I was gonna even do it. This has led to me doing a crash course 24 hour Mudbox course since I've never used it.

Hell I haven't ever modeled anything organic since my college classes in the late 90s!

I was surprised how easy it was to get into:

Started texturing. No idea how I'm going to get it to a renderable/animateable state! Good thing is that I don't have to worry about any real anatomical accuracy or workable parts. It essentially lurches up shrouded in smoke for like a second and a half.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 3, 2013

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Not having any loving idea how you're going to do something until it's too late to back out is 90% of working in CG. you'll be fine :)

Best of luck, looks good so far!

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

5T0XcWaeZvKvHAJj5CHg
5v0kw45nIzCefEaX5uPX
scBSvFIpacqHApwpbF2e
oDitnA8sdSxMiaA8Nvo9
oQ41KzG2bNEeOhTcTyKH
veMgNDmoHGVzlz9wOwtc
Pl2riZgIA0AYefFdfez3
O5dyz0WR8Myako6h0rMz
mpsfxDPTfLyBiRcFNriG
JvVpVwpZhnOfO4Ki5dMN

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 28, 2023

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

Zero Gravitas posted:

Quick question about video tutorials.

I run a website and make tutorials for Solidworks - its not 3DCG but it can still be fairly involved. Do you guys find lengthier video tutorials focussing on big builds with lots of different techniques to be more helpful, or do you prefer short videos based on single functions in isolation?

I find them both very useful, although I like the longer stuff split up into parts because I'm not the most focused of people.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

A Sloth posted:

I find them both very useful, although I like the longer stuff split up into parts because I'm not the most focused of people.

This. Having things split up makes it a lot easier to go back and rewatch particular processes than having to skip back and forth in an hour-long video. The downside is being too picky about what constitutes a "section" and ending up with 3-minute segments with titles and intros on EVERY loving VIDEO I'M LOOKING AT YOU, DIGITAL TUTORS.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 5, 2013

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I like one long practical example, but broken up into 10 minute segments of each problem that gets solved.
So working on a scene which would have taken much longer than the total video time, and each video being 10-15 minutes on 'here's how to do this bit'

Totally unedited videos are pretty boring. I don't want to spend 1/4 of a video's time (or more) watching someone use the most basic tools in the software over and over again.

bukkits
Mar 7, 2013

:regd08:
I know these are pretty awful, but I'd like some critique, especially on how to better do edgeloops around the mouth and in general.

So I tried modeling a Panda comic character from something my friend and I did in high school. I feel like I'm starting to get the feel for organic modeling, but obviously any sort of mastery is a long ways off

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

bukkits posted:

I know these are pretty awful, but I'd like some critique, especially on how to better do edgeloops around the mouth and in general.

So I tried modeling a Panda comic character from something my friend and I did in high school. I feel like I'm starting to get the feel for organic modeling, but obviously any sort of mastery is a long ways off

It's a good start definitely. I like that you've kept it quite tidy and low poly and I like that you've mostly used quads, that's all good stuff! As for edge loops I think you need to change the way you model a bit. Are you quick slicing your mesh, or starting from a box with lots of loops? When making a face, and this is just one way of doing it, but I like to start with the eyes and the mouth and radiate out of them like ripples from a pond. That way you know that your loops are flowing well for an organic face. (If you don't want the face to move at all or it's meant to be really low poly then that's a separate conversation).

You can do an awful lot worse than the Joan of Arc tutorial. It's really excellent at the basics. http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.asp

On my blog a while ago I posted a few screenshots of a character I've been slowly working on when I'm feeling motivated. I spent a little while getting the facial topology working though so take a look:

http://mattisaac.co.uk/blog/?p=83

It's not perfect by any stretch but it shows how you could blink or open the mouth wide and it would all cope with it fine.

Another thing to consider if you're not subdividing is Is that poly important? If if does nothing for the silhouette it doesn't need to be there. Under your ears on the side of the face you have polys there simply because you've looped the mesh all the way around the head. Efficiency is key.

See here how he doesn't have any facial animation so his face can really just be as optimised as possible.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
About a year ago I started a new job where my primary duties are medical education in anatomy, which means I'm going to be building a lot of lectures over the coming years. Up until now everything I've been doing has been really simple, black and white vector renders, and since someone else in the end has owned the copyright on the stuff I produce I haven't posted anything for critique. Since I'm not doing research full time anymore that means I actually have the time to allocate to learning more 3D stuff, and since I own the copyright on my lectures materials, I can bother all you experts for advice.

My goal is to be able to produce models that will range from photorealism to an illustrated look, and I'd like to be able do some simple animations where necessary- placental circulation, joint movements, etc. This isn't a part of my job description so I'll likely be moving at a snail's pace, but it's nice to actually be able to slot some time in each week to working in 3D.

The first thing I've started at is a model of a heart, I'm attaching my first stab at a rough mesh. Question: as I move on to finishing the form and start higher level detailing, is there a recommended material that would work better in screenshots to show off the model? I've just been working with the stock red material. I'm planning to do my final rendering in Softimage with Arnold so I'm not planning to invest any time in learning the material system in Zbrush, and actually might end up doing my texturing in Mudbox, but I'd like to make sure I'm presenting it the best I can in my Zbrush screenshots.

If anyone has any crits for this heart that would be fine but I didn't want to spam a bunch of views with the default Zbrush mat if there was something better I should be using.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jesus, anything other than the red wax material!

Even the basic material will do better with a simple two or three studio light setup.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What is a hardware shader? I just discovered it in Alias and it looks loving sick!
Also here is what I am working on at the moment!

bukkits
Mar 7, 2013

:regd08:

concerned mom posted:

It's a good start definitely. I like that you've kept it quite tidy and low poly and I like that you've mostly used quads, that's all good stuff! As for edge loops I think you need to change the way you model a bit. Are you quick slicing your mesh, or starting from a box with lots of loops? When making a face, and this is just one way of doing it, but I like to start with the eyes and the mouth and radiate out of them like ripples from a pond. That way you know that your loops are flowing well for an organic face. (If you don't want the face to move at all or it's meant to be really low poly then that's a separate conversation)...

Thanks for the advice and links!

Although this is just a personal project and doesn't need to be low poly, I am having fun importing stuff into Unity and the low poly advice is really useful!

I'm not entirely sure what quick slicing a mesh equates to in Blender, but I've just been starting with a single four vertice plane and extruding it along the path that I want the edge flow to go in, and adding loop cuts (quick slices?) as I go.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Do we have any MoI users here? Never thought I would like nurbs modeling but holy poo poo this app is brilliant in every way possible and the poly exporter rocks.

Flex Mentallo
Mar 14, 2001

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!
Heyo, does anyone know if Maya can run properly on integrated Intel HD graphics?
I'm looking to buy a laptop with something like a HD4400, It would only be used as a secondary machine for animating and possibly modeling simple low-poly crap (think Android/IOS).

So it doesn't need to be fast or deal with anything heavy, just need the basics to work (viewports, selection highlighting, co-existing with other accelerated applications, the stuff that usually breaks when graphics drivers are bad)

I tried looking around online but it's mostly people talking about how you need quadros and firegls because 3D is serious and complicated stuff.
I'm pretty sure though that anything in a Haswell cpu is faster than the geforce4 I used in Maya 10 years ago, and my scenes will be about as complex as then.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I went to our office in BA and they were running max on machines with integrated intel graphics. Proper arch vix scenes of a couple million polys. It was loving unbearable and I made them buy some geforces straight away, but it was working.

The requirements for maya don't say it needs anything special - it just needs something that can do opengl. Max's requirements say exactly the same thing.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 9, 2013

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Flex Mentallo posted:

Heyo, does anyone know if Maya can run properly on integrated Intel HD graphics?
I'm looking to buy a laptop with something like a HD4400, It would only be used as a secondary machine for animating and possibly modeling simple low-poly crap (think Android/IOS).

So it doesn't need to be fast or deal with anything heavy, just need the basics to work (viewports, selection highlighting, co-existing with other accelerated applications, the stuff that usually breaks when graphics drivers are bad)

I've used Maya in OS X with an HD 3000 for some light-weight modeling work. You'll be fine as long as you have realistic expectations about the level of performance you can expect to achieve, which it sounds like you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Flex Mentallo posted:

I tried looking around online but it's mostly people talking about how you need quadros and firegls because 3D is serious and complicated stuff.
I'm pretty sure though that anything in a Haswell cpu is faster than the geforce4 I used in Maya 10 years ago, and my scenes will be about as complex as then.

Short answer no.

I just bought a toshiba satellite f70 or something. It comes with a gtx 740m with 2gb ram, haswell i7 cpu, 16gb ram for 980$ canadian. I am pushing 20 million polygon scenes on it in Modo and Maya and it is not even breaking a sweat. loving thing runs everything faster than my desktop.

Never get a integrated gfx card for 3d work and no you don't need a quadro.