Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

ThePutty posted:

So, will there be a EU4+, or is the era of Wiz's modding supremacy over?

He still updates CK2+ so it is a possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wiz posted:

No, I am not going to be creating mods for games I work on for a living...

'Now here's how I should have coded it...'

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

BillBear posted:

He still updates CK2+ so it is a possibility.

Compatches only, and honestly I'm not interested in continuing that either. Just going to do one more update for the current TOG patch.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Wiz posted:

So we can be expecting Magna Mundi+ soon?

fe: Oh wait obviously we can, EUIV is releasing pretty soon.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Wiz posted:

The really important question is; are you going to pressure the rest of the team into including Historically Accurate Pirates in future patches?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The really important question is; are you going to pressure the rest of the team into including Historically Accurate Pirates in future patches?

Patches? Why wouldn't you monetize HAPP?

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
I liked how Quill18 shrugs off being at war with France then as soon as he realizes he is also at war with Austria he shits himself. :v:

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Look on the bright side, there won't be an EU4+, but we'll have Steppe Wolfe 2 to look forward to.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Kersch posted:

Look on the bright side, there won't be an EU4+, but we'll have Steppe Wolfe 2 to look forward to.

Quite! The team's already said that they're going to try something.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

GrossMurpel posted:

Does NNM have all the events and decisions from PDM though?
Just loaded up a POD (HoD version of PDM) game and most of China had -2 to -4 to railroads because of terrain and Irregulars had 1 recon while regular cav had 2. :psyduck:
Guess you guys are right.

As far as I know, yeah. NNM has all the events and decisions and countries and all that nice stuff, without changing any of the the core mechanics. I've played games with it as Japan, Prussia, and the USA, and it's been pretty great.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm holding out for a DLC containing Historically Accurate Poland. :poland:

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Wiz posted:

People over at CD Projekt do. I know how much time it takes up but it doesn't seem that strange.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

rhazes posted:

Quill18 may be a youtube hero, but for someone making videos on EU4, it's almost like he played 5 hours of EU2/3 because he is completely clueless to old mechanics like culture shifting and knowing about things like why you can't forge a claim on the enemy capital province, why a 20% production efficiency mod is RIDICULOUS early, doubling or tripling your production early on, Ethopia being Orthodox, the Timurids going into India and becoming the Mughals, etc. I can't wait to play the drat game.

Isn't Ethopia's "Orthodox Church" really Coptic Christian? Coptics are their own distinct branch of Christianity seperate from the Orthodox Church of Constantinople and Catholic Church. Really, every time they did a Council, Nicea, Chalcdeon they made a new branch of people who rejected new doctrine. Nestorian if I recall was the first.

Under those circumstances I could understand why he was confused it was Orthodox. Even in the 21st century Ethopia still has a large traditional uh.. pagan heritage which gets more focus on it than the Christian society. Any time an American watches documentary on Africa it's people banging on drums and painting their face.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 28, 2013

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

YouTuber posted:

Really, every time they did a Council, Nicea, Chalcdeon they made a new branch of people who rejected new doctrine. Nestorian if I recall was the first.

And that proud tradition continues today. :haw:

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Look at this amazing site they run.

http://www.sedevacantism.com/About_the_church.html

I love it.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 28, 2013

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Okay!

I mentioned earlier that a friend and I were working on this, but it finally exists and works so I wanted to show it off:

It's a Victoria 2 population generator. Just input the culture, religion, and total population (then decide if it's 'urban' or 'rural') and copy/paste the results into the pop file for that territory. You can add as many entries as you want.

I don't have permission to release this yet, but I'm hoping that will come soon. Any suggestions/comments I should make before then?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

YouTuber posted:

Isn't Ethopia's "Orthodox Church" really Coptic Christian? Coptics are their own distinct branch of Christianity seperate from the Orthodox Church of Constantinople and Catholic Church. Really, every time they did a Council, Nicea, Chalcdeon they made a new branch of people who rejected new doctrine. Nestorian if I recall was the first.
The Coptic Church in Egypt is itself part of the overall group of Oriental Orthodox churches, of which the Armenian and the Ethiopian are probably the most well known. (Besides the Coptic Church in Egypt.) Yes, technically they should probably have their own religion, but maybe gameplay works better if they're simply Orthodox? Not sure how much disagreement there is between those churches, and religion in EU4 might be more about the political aspect than religious details, and in terms of politics the religion seems to have been close enough. At least you would think Russia receiving 200 diplomats (Pushkin's great-grandfather among them) from Ethiopia in the 1670's would indicate an amicable relationship with the other churches, and weren't the Russians also pretty eager to be recognized as the protectors of Christians in the Ottoman Empire?

Maybe it's really a question of splitters vs. lumpers, and Paradox is on the side of the lumpers? I know some modders in EU3 were very much splitters, creating national churches like the Anglican and the Gallian, with seemingly no care for whether that had gameplay implications, which I think is a bit silly.

YouTuber posted:

Under those circumstances I could understand why he was confused it was Orthodox. Even in the 21st century Ethopia still has a large traditional uh.. pagan heritage which gets more focus on it than the Christian society. Any time an American watches documentary on Africa it's people banging on drums and painting their face.
Are these two connected, or separate statements?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Watching quill's part 11 of the England LP, I'm confused about cascading alliances. I thought there was supposed to be some changes to the system to prevent the type of clusterfucks he ended up in.

Here's what his call to arms looks like:

However when he clicked accept, Austria was already the alliance leader (they were his allies but also the HRE so the Hansa probably pulled them in) and then France joined somehow but I'm fairly sure they weren't allied with any of the countries listed in the call to arms nor Austria. He ended up at war with something like 25 countries from that one call to arms.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ExtraNoise posted:

Okay!

I mentioned earlier that a friend and I were working on this, but it finally exists and works so I wanted to show it off:

It's a Victoria 2 population generator. Just input the culture, religion, and total population (then decide if it's 'urban' or 'rural') and copy/paste the results into the pop file for that territory. You can add as many entries as you want.

I don't have permission to release this yet, but I'm hoping that will come soon. Any suggestions/comments I should make before then?

My suggestion is please allow me to perform for you whatever depraved fantasies you have secretly harbored during your life.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Trujillo posted:

People over at CD Projekt do. I know how much time it takes up but it doesn't seem that strange.

And Josh Sawyer, the lead designer on New Vegas, made a pretty exhaustive gameplay mod for that. That was more of a "I wanted to make the game more hardcore but it would alienate FO3 fans, instead here it is in mod form." Stuff like that tends to happen with developers who have a lot of passion for their projects and aren't allowed to do exactly what they want when developing it. Hopefully Wiz is allowed to add a bit of plus mod flavor to the base games.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah Obsidian and CD Projekt titles still have to factor in mass appeal so sometimes they have to streamline or make mechanics easier for people. I think Paradox is still such a niche company they can sort of do as they please on the first go.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Vodos posted:

Watching quill's part 11 of the England LP, I'm confused about cascading alliances. I thought there was supposed to be some changes to the system to prevent the type of clusterfucks he ended up in.

Here's what his call to arms looks like:

However when he clicked accept, Austria was already the alliance leader (they were his allies but also the HRE so the Hansa probably pulled them in) and then France joined somehow but I'm fairly sure they weren't allied with any of the countries listed in the call to arms nor Austria. He ended up at war with something like 25 countries from that one call to arms.
Here's what can be verified from the video. It's leaving me with more questions than answers, though . . .

December 13: Call to arms banner from Denmark begins dropping in the UI (2:32). So by this point Oldenburg and Finland had joined The Hansa, which we know because it's called the Danish Conquest of Lubeck.
December 17: quill18 joins the war. By this time Austria has intervened on behalf of Hansa & Oldenburg.
January 2: Thurungia joins war. quill18 checks the war screen. Current opponents: Austria, Bohemia, Finland, Livonian Order, Oldenburg, Saxony, The Hansa, Thurungia.
January 28: France+vassals join war (their color goes red at 3:24).
February 1: quill18 checks war screen again. In addition to France+vassals, Baden has joined, although they might also be a vassal.
Much much later: quill18 finally realizes he's fighting Austria.
Hasn't happened yet: quill18 learns to wait a few days and check the status of wars before joining them.

What's confusing me here is that quill18 was notified of Thurungia's intervention in the war, but not France's. Why? Are his notifications screwed up? Did France intervene outside the alliance chain in some way, perhaps some mechanic that allows rivals to intervene in each others' wars? If it's the latter, that might suggest that the cascade is in check and only war leaders can call in allies.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

YouTuber posted:

I can't say this for certain but as I recall, he was surprised Ethiopia was Christian at all, not that he was expecting a different branch of Christianity.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Epinephrine posted:

What's confusing me here is that quill18 was notified of Thurungia's intervention in the war, but not France's. Why? Are his notifications screwed up? Did France intervene outside the alliance chain in some way, perhaps some mechanic that allows rivals to intervene in each others' wars? If it's the latter, that might suggest that the cascade is in check and only war leaders can call in allies.

Didn't France join the coalition against England? Maybe one of the other coalition members brought them in when they declared war on England?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Is there any way to get primary culture POPs into Africa? I want to get Yankees everywhere. Also, do all the assimilation boni cancel out the -20% from a province having a core of that culture?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
The Encourage Immigration NF worked pretty well for me to get loads of North Germans into Africa, I don't see why it wouldn't work for Yankees.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I thought that only worked to get foreign immigrants into your country. :v:
How long did it usually take until you'd notice any Germans there?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

I thought that only worked to get foreign immigrants into your country. :v:
How long did it usually take until you'd notice any Germans there?

Actually it doesn't do that at all! What it actually does is shift migration to that state. It won't increase your immigration at all, it just means that when people do move that they're slightly more likely to choose that state instead of your other states. It's very odd.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Zeron posted:

Actually it doesn't do that at all! What it actually does is shift migration to that state. It won't increase your immigration at all, it just means that when people do move that they're slightly more likely to choose that state instead of your other states. It's very odd.

I think it's actually supposed to affect immigration now as well, but the bonus it provides is so small that it can't really overcome the draw of the Americas and other, bigger draws.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Well I've had the NF on for about 4 years now and there's not a single non-African in the state yet.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

GrossMurpel posted:

Well I've had the NF on for about 4 years now and there's not a single non-African in the state yet.
Try shutting down a factory in one of your states temporarily if you can. Unemployed pops are more likely to move.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Kersch posted:

Try shutting down a factory in one of your states temporarily if you can. Unemployed pops are more likely to move.
I shut Alabama because it had a single factory and sea access. That just made them migrate all over the US.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

GrossMurpel posted:

I shut Alabama because it had a single factory and sea access. That just made them migrate all over the US.

Shut all your factories down, some of the migrants will probably go to Africa. Maybe even before you go bankrupt or a communist revolution takes Washington!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Friend Commuter posted:

Shut all your factories down, some of the migrants will probably go to Africa. Maybe even before you go bankrupt or a communist revolution takes Washington!

I did that and not a single goddamn guy went to Africa. Looking at the wiki, South Angola fulfills none of these conditions which should mean it's at 0% and then the 20% from the NF kicks in and I should see SOME migration I think, but nope.

EDIT: Nevermind, I was looking at the wrong table, this is the correct one, which makes it even more puzzling. Yankees from New York fulfill all of these except "Colonial State", "NOT Primary Culture" and "State has Factories". They should have at least some colonial migration but if I hover over an individual POP group's colonial migration it just says "no colonial migration" without telling me why.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 28, 2013

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

GrossMurpel posted:

I did that and not a single goddamn guy went to Africa. Looking at the wiki, South Angola fulfills none of these conditions which should mean it's at 0% and then the 20% from the NF kicks in and I should see SOME migration I think, but nope.

EDIT: Nevermind, I was looking at the wrong table, this is the correct one, which makes it even more puzzling. Yankees from New York fulfill all of these except "Colonial State", "NOT Primary Culture" and "State has Factories". They should have at least some colonial migration but if I hover over an individual POP group's colonial migration it just says "no colonial migration" without telling me why.

It looks like that hasn't been updated for HoD, so its possible some of those modifiers have changed since AHD.

Edit: Nevermind. The modifiers look the same in HoD files.

Kersch fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 28, 2013

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

And Josh Sawyer, the lead designer on New Vegas, made a pretty exhaustive gameplay mod for that. That was more of a "I wanted to make the game more hardcore but it would alienate FO3 fans, instead here it is in mod form." Stuff like that tends to happen with developers who have a lot of passion for their projects and aren't allowed to do exactly what they want when developing it. Hopefully Wiz is allowed to add a bit of plus mod flavor to the base games.

A big difference here is that the combat mod for Witcher 2 and Josh Sawyer's rebalance of Fallout NV both came out after those games were done being actively patched, so they don't have to worry about the mod constantly being broken. If CK2's DLC model is anything to go by, a EU4 mod is going to require a lot of upkeep just to keep it working through all the patches.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Seems to me to still be the same (/common/pop_types.txt)
code:
colonialmigration_chance = 
{
	factor = 0.25

modifier = {
		factor = -0.5
		is_primary_culture = no
	}
	group = {
		modifier = {
			factor = -0.1
			not = { consciousness = 6 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = -0.1
			not = { consciousness = 7 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = -0.1
			not = { consciousness = 8 } 
		}
	}
	modifier = {
		factor = -2.0
		state_scope = { is_colonial = yes }
	}
	group = {
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.1
			not = { life_needs = 0.9 }
			not = { everyday_needs = 0.1 }
			not = { luxury_needs = 0.1 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.1
			not = { life_needs = 0.8 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.1
			not = { life_needs = 0.7 }
		}
	}

modifier = {
		factor = -0.3
		state_scope = {
			has_factories = yes
			}
	}

group = {
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.3
			unemployment = 0.1
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.3
			unemployment = 0.2
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.3
			unemployment = 0.3
		}

}
}

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

GrossMurpel posted:

Seems to me to still be the same (/common/pop_types.txt)
Yeah, I just found that as well. Do you still have any colonial states in North America? Maybe something there is stealing the show since it would be a colonial state with the same primary culture.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Kersch posted:

Yeah, I just found that as well. Do you still have any colonial states in North America? Maybe something there is stealing the show since it would be a colonial state with the same primary culture.

Yeah I actually still have North Dakota and New Mexico as colonies. These aren't being targeted by the unemployed guys, however (I'm also pretty sure it would show up as "colonial migration" even if it is connected and on the same continent).

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Good news, everybody! The winners have been selected for the first round of East vs. West's We Are the World competition!

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?704280-WINNERS-SELECTED-for-first-round-of-We-are-the-World!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Patter Song posted:

Good news, everybody! The winners have been selected for the first round of East vs. West's We Are the World competition!

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?704280-WINNERS-SELECTED-for-first-round-of-We-are-the-World!

Is there a word that describes feeling embarrassed for someone else? Because I'm feeling it all over.

• Locked thread