Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

randyest posted:

Credit card charge-back / dispute?

This. Call your credit card company or go into your bank and let them know you need to dispute a charge. Take the unhelpful email exchange with the merchant ( or dates and times of calls).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Where would I find rope strong enough for 40 or so adults in a tug of war contest? I really don't want to pay $70 for a pre-made one. I have home depot and lowes, but I'm not really sure what I should look for over there.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Where would I find rope strong enough for 40 or so adults in a tug of war contest? I really don't want to pay $70 for a pre-made one. I have home depot and lowes, but I'm not really sure what I should look for over there.

Apparently hardware store ropes aren't going to be nearly good enough:

quote:

The broken ends of an elastic polymer such as common nylon reach high speeds and will easily sever fingers. For example, ordinary half-inch (13 mm) nylon rope, about the heaviest that hardware stores sell, has a safe working load rating of between 500 and 600 pounds (2.2 and 2.7 kN), and a grown man can probably exert a pull of 100 pounds (445 N), which means that it is only safe to use this rope with a limit of five to six men per side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tug_of_war#Risk_of_Injury

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Is a single set of "..." referred to as "an ellipsis" or is it more proper to use the plural "ellipses"?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Good news (I guess).

This will probably have a better chance of getting through than a sexual harassment charge anyway (I'm male, bar-owner is female, she grabs my junk on occasion when sitting in the bar getting plastered.)

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

How does copyright work with folktales? I've got this book, Best-Loved Folktales of the World, and it's copyright 1982 to the person who selected them. There are other copyrights on the title page for individual stories to individual copyright holders. But what exactly is copyrighted?

I would like to use some of these folktales in an English language teaching tool. It would be open-source, interactive and hosted online. So, it would probably be a violation of the copyright to just copy the stories as they appear in the book, but what if I re-wrote them? The characters and stories aren't copyrighted, are they? How much would I have to re-write them? What are the conditions for "fair use"?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

greazeball posted:

How does copyright work with folktales? I've got this book, Best-Loved Folktales of the World, and it's copyright 1982 to the person who selected them. There are other copyrights on the title page for individual stories to individual copyright holders. But what exactly is copyrighted?

I would like to use some of these folktales in an English language teaching tool. It would be open-source, interactive and hosted online. So, it would probably be a violation of the copyright to just copy the stories as they appear in the book, but what if I re-wrote them? The characters and stories aren't copyrighted, are they? How much would I have to re-write them? What are the conditions for "fair use"?

To be absolutely sure, trace the references the book uses back as far as you can go (assuming it is not original research where the author actually traveled the world and collected stories from village elders) and use those sources which are undoubtedly not protected.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Torka posted:

Why did our teeth evolve to feel pain, when we were helpless to repair or replace damaged teeth in the environment we evolved in? Pain signals from teeth would have been useless information until very recently in our history.

Pain signals from teeth are in no way useless, and is pretty much in the ground plan of vertebrate land animals.

The nerves in and in the proximity of teeth will tell if you are biting into something that is too cold or too hot, or too hard to bite through.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Ezzer posted:

Is a single set of "..." referred to as "an ellipsis" or is it more proper to use the plural "ellipses"?

The former. "." is not an ellipsis -- ". . ." (note the spaces) is.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

tarepanda posted:

The former. "." is not an ellipsis -- ". . ." (note the spaces) is.

On what planet do you put spaces between the dots?

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Schweinhund posted:

In most word processors, typing three dots will automatically correct it to have the spaces.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Schweinhund posted:

Just dots isn't technically an ellipsis -- it's just three periods. An ellipsis is either three spaced periods or the special character that replaces those three spaced periods with thinner dots.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Ezzer posted:

Ellipsis. Two or more of these are "ellipses." And the ascii code for an ellipsis is, with Num Lock on, Alt+0133 - …

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

WillieWestwood posted:

Ellipsis. Two or more of these are "ellipses." And the ascii code for an ellipsis is, with Num Lock on, Alt+0133 - …
Or you can use the HTML entity. … -> …
There's also a vertical ellipsis: ⋮ -> ⋮

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

tarepanda posted:

Just dots isn't technically an ellipsis -- it's just three periods. An ellipsis is either three spaced periods or the special character that replaces those three spaced periods with thinner dots.

The special ellipsis character is three closely-placed dots; an ellipsis only has as much spacing as three periods when technology limits it, and never more space than three periods next to each other.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Or on Windows, ALT+0133 -> …

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Brother Jonathan posted:

Or on Windows, ALT+0133 -> …
You mean what I quoted and replied to?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Does anybody else have a messed up followers count on Instagram? Mine consistently says I have 7 more than I actually do.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Does anybody else have a messed up followers count on Instagram? Mine consistently says I have 7 more than I actually do.

Don't worry, that's the NSA and FBI and various other government agencies.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Floppychop posted:

she grabs my junk on occasion when sitting in the bar getting plastered.)

Nicccceeee.

Seriously though, make sure to get the whole staff on board, it's easy to just fire one person who starts making noise. Yes, I realize you could obviously sue for that but it puts you out a job in the meantime.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Okay so my box springs under my mattress are squeaky as hell and it is driving me up the wall. I've tried things to fix it - placed wooden boards between it and the mattress (works for about a day if I line them up PERFECTLY), hammered nails into the squeaky parts, etc. It's just a particleboard and wooden absolute piece of poo poo. It will squeak with just the gentlest pressure of my hand. It's not a nice squeak either, it's a loud grinding squeak that reverberates through my head when my husband so much as rolls over and it wakes me up every night. I need a new box spring. Give me a recommendation for a box spring that is

- Reasonably priced (I'd like to keep it under $150 for a full size bed)
- Extremely sturdy (we're uh... not super gentle with the bed)
- NOT SQUEAKY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

I'm looking at these all-metal box springs that you use without a frame (it's essentially just a big metal frame with e metal platform) but the reviews are kind of mixed. Any suggestions?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Do you need a box spring? Would having just a mattress be an option?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Bovril Delight posted:

I don't really want to have just a mattress on the floor. Our house is comically tiny and we use the space under the bed for storage. I thought about just cutting some boards to fit on the frame. I used to do that with my old bed and it does work but they always shift around and it's kind of annoying to have to constantly deal with them. Although far less annoying than a squeaky box spring, and we do have a bunch of 2x4s handy.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
Just get a mess of 1x4s and put them in the frame and get rid of the box spring.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bovril Delight posted:

I think you meant to post in the bachelor thread.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Loopyface posted:

Just get a mess of 1x4s and put them in the frame and get rid of the box spring.

Yeah I mentioned above that I could do that and have done that before. My husband doesn't seem real thrilled with the idea of having a super low bed though. We may cut up those 2x4s tomorrow and see what its like with no box spring. It'll just be low though. Like... 6 inches lower than our bedside tables.

I really just want a brand, or a model, or some kind of recommendation for a good, sturdy box spring or box spring alternative. I literally don't know where to look. And this one didn't squeak until it got to be about 2 years old so I know it's just because it's a cheap piece of junk. It's basically a large pallet with a cheap material stapled around it. But how do I know what a good one even is?

EDIT: I think I may try this out and see what I think.

http://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Master-Platform-Mattress-Foundation/dp/B006MIUM20/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

razz fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 29, 2013

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

syscall girl posted:

I think you meant to post in the bachelor thread.

I haven't had a box spring in years. My bed frame makes it high enough and it has wooden slats to support the mattress. No mattress on the floor.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I've heard really good things about the USAA and I'm wondering if I qualify for an account.

Both of my granddads served and two uncles but my dad (thankfully) was a little to young to get recruited into Vietnam.

As I understand it you can get a checking account pretty easily but not the insurance (which I don't want) but I was curious if anyone had a line on how, if at all, it works for civilians.

I can't stand BoA, Wells Fargo, &c so I'll either be making a new account with USAA or one of a few local credit unions.

Sorry if this is not a stupid/small question, I'll probably just end up calling them up in the morning but any advice would be appreciated.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
My friend and I were at a Japanese restaurant and she ordered a ramen bowl with pork. She says it was a special japanese kind of pork or something. I rarely eat pork, so I can't really say what it tastes like, but I could have sworn it tasted like turkey, it had all the flavor and consistency of turkey. She is a Japanafile so I know she knows what she is talking about. Or do I need to taste more pork?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

b0nes posted:

My friend and I were at a Japanese restaurant and she ordered a ramen bowl with pork. She says it was a special japanese kind of pork or something. I rarely eat pork, so I can't really say what it tastes like, but I could have sworn it tasted like turkey, it had all the flavor and consistency of turkey. She is a Japanafile so I know she knows what she is talking about. Or do I need to taste more pork?

"japanophile"

If it was a special kind of pork, it should have tasted like pork. The pork that comes with ramen is supposed to be on the soft, fatty side -- not the dry side. "Special" Japanese pork comes from black pig and is even fattier still.

In short, it was probably not a special kind of pork and was also probably not great pork.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

syscall girl posted:

I've heard really good things about the USAA and I'm wondering if I qualify for an account.

Both of my granddads served and two uncles but my dad (thankfully) was a little to young to get recruited into Vietnam.

As I understand it you can get a checking account pretty easily but not the insurance (which I don't want) but I was curious if anyone had a line on how, if at all, it works for civilians.

I can't stand BoA, Wells Fargo, &c so I'll either be making a new account with USAA or one of a few local credit unions.

Sorry if this is not a stupid/small question, I'll probably just end up calling them up in the morning but any advice would be appreciated.

I think you should qualify. Before I met my wife, she already had USAA because her grandfather was in the Air Force. Neither of her parents served, but they did use USAA for insurance, I think. I'm not sure if it matters if your parents used USAA or not. We now use them for all of our banking and our car insurance, and they've got excellent customer service and good perks.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

What's the vertical ellipsis for?

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

syscall girl posted:

Anyone can get a USAA checking account. Not sure about a credit card without military in the family. Everyone should have a USAA checking account though, they comp up to $15 in ATM fees you had to pay at the end of each month. Meaning effectively you can use any ATM you want (within that $15 limit)

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

What's the vertical ellipsis for?

Math! :science:

Do not ask me what that means, I've just seen it used in formulas like that before, ohgod math is terrifying

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I am 27 and have this streak of grey hair a few inches off the center of my head. It's mostly toward the front and left. I also have random grey hairs throughout my head. My uncle went completely grey before he was 40. Should I consider using something like Just for Men? I don't really understand how this kind of thing works and whether it looks fake, whether it can damage my hair, or if there are some drawbacks I am not aware of.

I wouldn't really mind the grey if it were just scattered everywhere or if it were cool-looking greying at the temples, but I still look relatively young in the face and the grey streak in a weird spot looks just generally bad.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

kedo posted:

Do not ask me what that means, I've just seen it used in formulas like that before, ohgod math is terrifying
It means the same thing as it does horizontally, it's not specific to the identity matrix or anything. It's "there's a whole bunch of numbers here really, but you know what the pattern is already so we're not gonna write them all out because the sequence is the important thing". In math you would usually include the end term of the sequence to show you when it stops as well.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 29, 2013

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
How hard is it to have your child taken by the state in the US? What sort of things might lead to that? I heard an ex-friend lost theirs this way, but not why.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Project1 posted:

How hard is it to have your child taken by the state in the US? What sort of things might lead to that? I heard an ex-friend lost theirs this way, but not why.

It's easy if you're a terrible parent!

But in all honesty "how hard" it is for the state to take someone's kid depends on a million factors. I worked for awhile at a free health clinic where we saw lots of super impoverished minority families who could barely provide for their kids, but they were otherwise great parents so they didn't have anything to worry about from CPS. The only people I ever heard of / saw who had lost their kids to the state were addicted to serious drugs or were raising kids in extremely unsafe / disgusting living conditions or were abusive.

If your ex-friend lost their kid, they probably deserved to lose it. If they say things like, "Oh we didn't do anything! The state just has it out for us! They just hate [poor/ethnic/hipster/etc] people!" they are probably lying. This is of course entirely speculation, but CPS usually does their research before they take a kid from a parent.

kedo fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 29, 2013

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Do chatrooms still exist? Like late 90's AOL? I know there's IRC, but I mean in the sense that it's more of a generic internet population, while IRC attracts a particular tech-savvy crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FogHelmut posted:

Do chatrooms still exist? Like late 90's AOL? I know there's IRC, but I mean in the sense that it's more of a generic internet population, while IRC attracts a particular tech-savvy crowd.

Tons of sites out there are actually using IRC to power chat rooms on websites. Like all of the big video streaming sites, and also just random websites in general.