Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Is this a .pdf that you read from or is it just a text dump in some HTML website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
Ugh, that's a bummer about the second book.. Even if it's a PDF, I despise the rise of e-readers. I need BOOKS.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It's multiple formats. PDF, MOBI, and EPUB. The latter two are for Kindle and Nook respectively. I've added them to my Kindle, and never looked back. They aren't perfect, but the stories are so strong that they come through despite the occasional grammatical or spelling error. It's like A Song of Ice and Fire mixed with old school fairy tales and a dose of old world European oddness.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

No idea honestly, other than ignorance of how important they are. These are not loosely connected "adventures of Geralt," but each short story is told in chronological order, and both books build up all the characters and background exposition you need for the 5 book saga, while remaining solid stories in their own right. Having read the fan translated "Sword of Destiny" I couldn't imagine my life before finding out who Ciri is or what have you. Not to mention they are quite the emotional rollercoaster between Geralt, Yennefer, and Ciri.[/i]

I haven't read Sword of Destiny yet, but I thought Ciri and Geralt's relationship was explained in The Last Wish?
Guess I'll have to go back and read Sword of Destiny then.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I really like how the books actually made a big deal out of how poor communication is in a medieval type setting. Ice and Fire has ravens that act like faxes, but the Witcher is a great twisted knot of guesses, misinformation, unsubstantiated rumours. At times it makes following along a right pain (am I supposed to know this bit? is this true? was that meant to be a twist?) but it gives the books such a great feel.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I haven't read Sword of Destiny yet, but I thought Ciri and Geralt's relationship was explained in The Last Wish?
Guess I'll have to go back and read Sword of Destiny then.

That's Geralt and Yennefer, unless you mean the story about Duny and Pavetta and the child surprise. But Geralt's first encounter with Ciri is in Sword of Destiny, and it's loving awesome.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

That's Geralt and Yennefer, unless you mean the story about Duny and Pavetta and the child surprise. But Geralt's first encounter with Ciri is in Sword of Destiny, and it's loving awesome.

Yeah, thats what I was referring to, so when I read Blood of Elves, the whole child surprise thing and Ciri being destined for Geralt made sense, so I didn't feel lost when they had already met I guess. Of course, Ciri wasn't even born at that point, but it tells you that Calanthe's grand daughter is meant to be with Geralt.
When I finish Time of Contempt, I'll definitely have to do Sword of Destiny.

Baxate fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 24, 2013

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Sword of Destiny establishes a lot more about them though. I'd think Ciri would seem pretty sudden even given what happened in Last Wish.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Am going through Act 3 Iorveth right now and I had to make a decision early on that I felt I couldn't rightfully make:

In Iorveth's Act 3 after the business in the dungeon with Philippa and a spoon and some Nilfgaard you get the choice to either save Triss or Saskia. I honestly couldn't really come up with a decision I was happy with. It wasn't because of like "No!! I love Triss, but Saskia is so important!!" but rather "Uh.. Triss is my girlfriend but I guess really not that important and Saskia is cool and all but I don't really see why she is so important." Did I miss some sort of thing that made Saskia the final puzzle piece in some sort of situation that is almost ready to fall a part? After the battle of Aedeirn, all I see here doing is being a politician.

So yeah. I'm not sure if it really felt like a FINAL DECISION, DON'T gently caress THIS UP, OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

WASDF posted:

Am going through Act 3 Iorveth right now and I had to make a decision early on that I felt I couldn't rightfully make:

In Iorveth's Act 3 after the business in the dungeon with Philippa and a spoon and some Nilfgaard you get the choice to either save Triss or Saskia. I honestly couldn't really come up with a decision I was happy with. It wasn't because of like "No!! I love Triss, but Saskia is so important!!" but rather "Uh.. Triss is my girlfriend but I guess really not that important and Saskia is cool and all but I don't really see why she is so important." Did I miss some sort of thing that made Saskia the final puzzle piece in some sort of situation that is almost ready to fall a part? After the battle of Aedeirn, all I see here doing is being a politician.

So yeah. I'm not sure if it really felt like a FINAL DECISION, DON'T gently caress THIS UP, OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD

That's kind of the point. Geralt isn't supposed to be making those decisions, they conflict pretty heavily with the Witcher's Code. But the code straight up doesn't work, because choosing not to get involved is just as much a decision as getting involved. Also Saskia is the charismatic leader of a popular uprising that's pretty much being held together just by her force of will. She's also a dragon. She's kind of important. It's brain-on-a-train, Geralt has to make a political decision. The choice is to openly break your code and save Saskia, or save Triss and ignore the hypocrisy.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
There is no code. Geralt just uses the Witchers' Code as an excuse. He made it up, and no one questions it because everyone assumes Witchers would have a code.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Rather, the "Witcher code" is just Geralt's personal code using another name.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ha! That's even better. I figured it was just Geralt was much more philosophical about it than Berengar or Letho. Where did the rule about not taking contracts on people come from?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Also Saskia is the charismatic leader of a popular uprising that's pretty much being held together just by her force of will. She's also a dragon. She's kind of important. It's brain-on-a-train, Geralt has to make a political decision. The choice is to openly break your code and save Saskia, or save Triss and ignore the hypocrisy.

Well in addition not saving Triss has the unintended side effect of allowing Nilfgaard to use her to help with whatever plans they have

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

There is no code. Geralt just uses the Witchers' Code as an excuse. He made it up, and no one questions it because everyone assumes Witchers would have a code.

I'm curious as to where you get this from, not that I doubt it, but certain things about Geralt's behavior suggest that his code was instilled in him at Kaer Morhen. The one standout is his very strong belief in not killing dragons.

On the other hand, he does make a point to be moody and brooding all the time, and pretending it's indifference and lack of emotion, when as far as I can tell he's more emotional and empathetic than most people in the series.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

I'm curious as to where you get this from, not that I doubt it, but certain things about Geralt's behavior suggest that his code was instilled in him at Kaer Morhen. The one standout is his very strong belief in not killing dragons.

On the other hand, he does make a point to be moody and brooding all the time, and pretending it's indifference and lack of emotion, when as far as I can tell he's more emotional and empathetic than most people in the series.

I think its from the books but the games seem to imply that its a thing all Witchers to greater or lesser degrees follow.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SpRahl posted:

I think its from the books but the games seem to imply that its a thing all Witchers to greater or lesser degrees follow.

Wait, i'm confused. What I mean is, the books and games imply that Witcher do have a loose/ambiguous code, so i'm question where the reasoning came from that Geralt made that poo poo up.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The reasoning is simple: gently caress you, pay me, don't drag me into your stupid poo poo. loving pay me already.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

That's kind of the point. Geralt isn't supposed to be making those decisions, they conflict pretty heavily with the Witcher's Code. But the code straight up doesn't work, because choosing not to get involved is just as much a decision as getting involved. Also Saskia is the charismatic leader of a popular uprising that's pretty much being held together just by her force of will. She's also a dragon. She's kind of important. It's brain-on-a-train, Geralt has to make a political decision. The choice is to openly break your code and save Saskia, or save Triss and ignore the hypocrisy.
I think you could argue that you have some degree of personal stake in Vergen's fate too, in that one of your best friends, Zoltan, believes in it enough that he wants to settle down there after the fighting. But other than that, yeah, it's mostly the high-minded political aspect of it being the only place where humans, dwarves and elves are living together as equals. If you personally care about preserving that, then Saskia is important, because it will definitely fall apart without her.

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low
In the FCR mod skill tree, there's a skill called Chem rage that's supposed to give time dilation, but I can't find any documentation on how to activate it. Is it automatic?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It activates when you expend your adrenaline bar.

Regarding Saskia and Upper Aedirn/Pontar Are we so sure that not breaking Philippa's spell will lead to the collapse of the new state? Philippa created it, after all. Why should she want to just take her pet dragon away and let it fall apart?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I've been trying to find a way to organize my thoughts on FCR2, but I can't really find a way, so I'll just keep this brief.

The more I play with it, the more I dislike it. Geralt's "increased responsiveness" is questionable, auto-parry and the pirouette are so spotty in their execution it's impossible to rely on them, riposte I'm positive just flat-out doesn't work anymore, I've had more than a dozen times where enemies' AI just seems to turn off, and more that I can't even remember right now.

Every fight I get into just makes me feel like the game wasn't built for these kinds of changes, and is almost actively rejecting them. I was really looking forward to this mod, especially considering FCR1 is practically required to squeeze any enjoyment out of Witcher 1's gameplay these days, but this just... doesn't feel right. :(

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Coughing Hobo posted:

FCR1 is practically required to squeeze any enjoyment out of Witcher 1's gameplay these days,

I dunno I still find just rolling over everything by spamming igni at least somewhat satisfying.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
None of your complaints have happened to me so I can only assume that the mod is still really buggy and he's only eliminated the really obvious ones. In particular, I riposte all the time.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

It activates when you expend your adrenaline bar.

Regarding Saskia and Upper Aedirn/Pontar Are we so sure that not breaking Philippa's spell will lead to the collapse of the new state? Philippa created it, after all. Why should she want to just take her pet dragon away and let it fall apart?

Saskia is doing just fine before Phillipa takes her over with the spell. She was poisoned by the nobility to curb her influence because they wanted to suck up to the King and earn pardons. Phillipa basically took the opportunity to get a pet dragon and everything after that went to poo poo.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It didn't go to poo poo though. They won the battle. I mean, assuming we're still talking about the path where you can cure her. She would have just teleported her back from Loc Muinne once the Council was done. It's not like it was well known that Saskia was a dragon, and Saskia's abilities were largely unaltered by the spell.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

chaosapiant posted:

It's in the books. Yeah, Geralt does have his own code, and it stands to reason the foundations for it were instilled at Kaer Morhen. There are very few Witchers now, so they mostly all get along and the remnants of the Kaer Morhen school spend winters there together. But there is no official code. Geralt at one point admits it and says he just uses it as an excuse whenever something conflicts with his own morals - "The Witchers' Code forbids it" tends to shut down conversations a lot faster than "I oppose this morally".

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

It's in the books. Yeah, Geralt does have his own code, and it stands to reason the foundations for it were instilled at Kaer Morhen. There are very few Witchers now, so they mostly all get along and the remnants of the Kaer Morhen school spend winters there together. But there is no official code. Geralt at one point admits it and says he just uses it as an excuse whenever something conflicts with his own morals - "The Witchers' Code forbids it" tends to shut down conversations a lot faster than "I oppose this morally".

This is what I was looking for, thanks! I'm reading Tower of the Swallow now, then onto the last book, and I hadn't run into anything that I recall where he admits his code is BS.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Coughing Hobo posted:

Also in Act 1, it is vital you visit the Blue Stripes house in Flotsam (it's next to the inn, just west of it) and talk to Ves to start an important quest that can have far-reaching consequences to be felt for the rest of the game. No spoiler tags here, just trust me. You'll thank me when it happens.

So I keep on going back and checking the Blue Stripes house for Ves throughout the act but he's never there. I did the Hangover quest but nothing in particular from him. I'm near the end of act one, about to kill the final (I believe) boss of the act. Did I miss it?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

bef posted:

So I keep on going back and checking the Blue Stripes house for Ves throughout the act but he's never there. I did the Hangover quest but nothing in particular from him. I'm near the end of act one, about to kill the final (I believe) boss of the act. Did I miss it?

I think he was referring to the hangover quest

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope so, now I can Witcher in peace.

VVV that whole time I was thinking Ves = Vernon for some really odd reason. That would've saved me a couple of hours of worry.

bef fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 26, 2013

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Ves isn't a he. She's Roche's second-in-command and you would have had to talk to her to do the hangover quest.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

bef posted:

I hope so, now I can Witcher in peace.

VVV that whole time I was thinking Ves = Vernon for some really odd reason. That would've saved me a couple of hours of worry.

She's one of the first character's introduced (if my memory serves me correctly and the game opens with Geralt in prison with Roche goading him into flashbacks)

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

I'm a bit confused as to how the Persuade/Intimidate/Axii conversation abilities work. From what I can gather, each levels up when used successfully, up to a maximum level of three. But just from playing through the game (and cursory internet searches), it seems like there's a lot of random chance involved in whether or not they actually succeed.

Could anyone clear up how these skills work, exactly? And is one used more often than the others, or is it equally spread out?

Finally, as much as I hate to muck up the game's mechanics on a first run, I'm really not a big fan of making a die roll for dialogue checks. You either have the skill or you don't - shouldn't have to see if the dice agree. Is there a mod that removes random chance being a factor, and just has the game look at your skill level?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Here's this thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZmJjbuCmwY

Not a whole lot new from the interview except it sort of sounds like a certain plot point from the end of TW2 might actually come up pretty early in the game.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
I finally beat Witcher 2 on normal (pretty easy, once I debugged my weird install that had the combat rebalance mod half installed). I went down Roche's storyline, and I definitely plan on beating the game 3ish more times, just to see what every descion entails!

I have a question though: how big of a deal is Roche killing Henselt, and giving Anais to Radovid? I feel like there should be big ramifications there. Also the end to Roche's story was a real downer. The piles of rotting corpses actually made me pretty uncomfortable .
. something that rarely happens to me in a video game. I'm also surprised Henselt's boys won the day . . . Considering I had him assassinated and all!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Boru posted:

I have a question though: how big of a deal is Roche killing Henselt, and giving Anais to Radovid? I feel like there should be big ramifications there. Also the end to Roche's story was a real downer.
Basically, Kaedwen is going to descend into chaos, and Temeria will no longer fully independent nation, they'll be a vassal state of Radovid's.

Boru posted:

Also the end to Roche's story was a real downer.
Yup, Roche's Path is the darker storyline. If you want to fight for "Liberté, égalité, fraternité!" you go the other way.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Boru posted:

I finally beat Witcher 2 on normal (pretty easy, once I debugged my weird install that had the combat rebalance mod half installed). I went down Roche's storyline, and I definitely plan on beating the game 3ish more times, just to see what every descion entails!

I have a question though: how big of a deal is Roche killing Henselt, and giving Anais to Radovid? I feel like there should be big ramifications there. Also the end to Roche's story was a real downer. The piles of rotting corpses actually made me pretty uncomfortable .
. something that rarely happens to me in a video game. I'm also surprised Henselt's boys won the day . . . Considering I had him assassinated and all!

Perhaps ypu shouldnt have given Anais to Radovid and instead sent her to the Temerians so she could grow up to become a :black101: Queen

As to the ramifications Redania is basically going to be a huge Superpower in the North with Temeria subjugated and Keadwen and Aderin collapsing
but yeah Roche's storyline is very dark

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The end of my Roche's path was Geralt and Triss just wandering off. I had let Roche kill Henselt, the Dragon got impaled on a log, I killed Letho for being a bitch. The ending was very anticlimactic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Even before the Enchanced Edition additions, I thought everything from the Summit to the credits felt like "the ending" to me, despite there still being one required boss fight and one optional boss fight shuffled in there amongst the cutscenes. So I never got the "anti-climactic" feeling.

• Locked thread