Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I noticed that on the first version too. I figured the uneven blade distribution must be something like a balancing/vibration issue like on old Porsche 911 engine fans.

It's even worse at the workshop before they take it on the road, I think more than one of the blades is missing then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Sir Tonk posted:

Was that before or after it was fished out of the boat ramp? And that was the first iteration, so not all that surprising given its performance.

It was right before they drove in.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Clarkson hit the nail on the head about how Porsche works. But that Singer is so loving beautiful. And I could not wipe the poo poo eating grin off my face with the Lamborghini segment. I felt like I was 10 again putting up my Countach poster in my bedroom.

OptimusMatrix fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 28, 2013

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Haha, this caravanner segment is hilarious. Their jokes about caravanner/SUV owners are spot on.

edit: Also I have no shame in admitting I will be loading some boxes and junk into my SUV today and hauling them to the dump. I might even be running by the hardware store later too.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 28, 2013

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

mod sassinator posted:

Haha, this caravanner segment is hilarious. Their jokes about caravanner/SUV owners are spot on.

Pretty much in tears the whole time.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Episode was really good. They need to start tacking on the long segments at the end like that. When they segment them throughout the show it really ruins the flow of things.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Holy poo poo I don't remember the last time I laughed so hard at a TG episode. That was a seriously great episode. The car reviews were perfect, Steven Tyler was reasonably entertaining, and the SUV segment was a riot. It looked like James was going to pass out from laughing so hard.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The first time they took the carloads of brand-new stuff from Home Depot to the "tip" and deadpan tossed it all in, I missed whatever they said for the next two or three minutes from laughing.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
What Clarkson ended up with could only be described as "a trailer".

Best Top Gear in ages. The 911 singer (If they can do that to a 911, please give me a singer 944 thank you and take my money), Sesto Elemento, and the caravaner segments were all fantastic.

I dunno who was SIARPC because that's my smoke break time.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

A CX-5 on Top Gear?! :swoon:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Data Graham posted:

The first time they took the carloads of brand-new stuff from Home Depot to the "tip" and deadpan tossed it all in, I missed whatever they said for the next two or three minutes from laughing.

I love that it was all stuff you would use to kill someone and dispose of a body with.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

ALL 911s ARE THE SAME!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So they'll probably put the new 911 around the track next week right?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Steven Tyler and David Icke :stare:

edit: Holy poo poo Steven Tyler is the most repellant human being ever.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 29, 2013

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

To think he had Arwen in his balls.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Wow what an episode. I lost it when the Stig flipped his caravan and was kind of just hanging there.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That was probably the best episode of the series so far. The caravaner segment was simply amazing. Are caravans really that lovely? If you get a trailer or RV in the US, it's going to be build pretty solidly. Those things were pretty much a plastic shell put on a trailer with some things thrown in it.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

OptimusMatrix posted:

Clarkson hit the nail on the head about how Porsche works. But that Singer is so loving beautiful. And I could not wipe the poo poo eating grin off my face with the Lamborghini segment. I felt like I was 10 again putting up my Countach poster in my bedroom.

I'm shocked anyone thought that it was a secret.

About the new 991 911.
[quote="Porsche"]
From every angle it is unmistakably a 911, holding true to the Porsche 911 Carrera evolution, not revolution’ design philosophy.
http://www.porsche.com/latin-america-en/aboutporsche/pressreleases/?lang=none&pool=usa&id=2011-09-06
[/quote

The SUV segment was fantastic. I was kind of hoping the producers would disqualify Clarkson and add the comedy of him sleep in on a board.

Edit: I've been trying to come up with what the joke in the stat board was. I think It's CC'S rear end or Caravan Club'S rear end.

Aurune fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 29, 2013

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cojawfee posted:

That was probably the best episode of the series so far. The caravaner segment was simply amazing. Are caravans really that lovely? If you get a trailer or RV in the US, it's going to be build pretty solidly. Those things were pretty much a plastic shell put on a trailer with some things thrown in it.

If you think American RVs are much better in that range, think again. Travel trailers and class C motorhomes are pretty similar in construction, and it's not good. I spent plenty of time as a kid in an Itasca Sundancer, which was a rebadged version of the Winnebago Minnie Winnie. A popular model by the definitive brand of American RV, but still a plywood and fiberglass box stuck on top of an Econoline cutaway. Nothing fell apart horribly in the seven years we had it, but we did have the walls separate from the floor in the rear bedroom and you could tell that had it been off-roaded in a similar manner it would have fallen apart in the same way.

The modern bus-style (class A or actual bus conversion) and van conversion units are a lot more solid typically (we replaced the Sundancer with a Fleetwood Discovery which had a Freightliner chassis underneath and a metal structure where the Cat engine was surprisingly the least reliable part), same with fifth wheel style trailers, but the class Cs and standard hitched "travel trailer" units are still mostly fiberglass boxes stuck on whatever ladder frame was convenient.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 29, 2013

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

wolrah posted:

If you think American RVs are much better in that range, think again. Travel trailers and class C motorhomes are pretty similar in construction, and it's not good. I spent plenty of time as a kid in an Itasca Sundancer, which was a rebadged version of the Winnebago Minnie Winnie. A popular model by the definitive brand of American RV, but still a plywood and fiberglass box stuck on top of an Econoline cutaway. Nothing fell apart horribly in the seven years we had it, but we did have the walls separate from the floor in the rear bedroom and you could tell that had it been off-roaded in a similar manner it would have fallen apart in the same way.

The modern bus-style (class A or actual bus conversion) and van conversion units are a lot more solid typically (we replaced the Sundancer with a Fleetwood Discovery which had a Freightliner chassis underneath and a metal structure where the Cat engine was surprisingly the least reliable part), same with fifth wheel style trailers, but the class Cs and standard hitched "travel trailer" units are still mostly fiberglass boxes stuck on whatever ladder frame was convenient.

AH, I've only ever dealt with actual RVs. The last one also being built on a freightliner with a caterpillar engine. They were built like actual vehicles.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Another Aventador, another 911. The Singer was nice looking though and the new Lambo looks crazy

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...
James laughing his rear end off at Jeremy had me in laughing so hard. Great episode!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

marsisol posted:

Wow what an episode. I lost it when the Stig flipped his caravan and was kind of just hanging there.

I was really impressed by that. I figured the trailer would come unhitched or the hitch would tear out of the car from all of that stress.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone ID that song that was playing when James May was first introducing the Singer 911?

It's the soundtrack to something, and I can't quite put my finger on it.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

TheBigAristotle posted:

Can anyone ID that song that was playing when James May was first introducing the Singer 911?

It's the soundtrack to something, and I can't quite put my finger on it.

It's "Time" from Inception.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Data Graham posted:

The stuff they bought was also pretty good (plastic sheeting, quicklime, shovels, axe, zinc tub, saws, duct tape and rope).

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Zarkov Cortez posted:

The stuff they bought was also pretty good (plastic sheeting, quicklime, shovels, axe, zinc tub, saws, duct tape and rope).

Yeah that had me snickering a fair bit.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Whoops, double post

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I was cracking up at that shot of Jeremy (or was it James?) polishing the steering wheel while parked at a beat.

I know they aren't into doing serious reviews, but I'm surprised Jeremy didn't mention how ridiculously small the boot is on the Tiguan. I test drove one a couple of months back because my wife liked the look of them, and I couldn't believe that the boot is significantly smaller than the Golf's boot :wtf:

You can see it briefly when they toss the murder equipment in - it doesn't even fit properly!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Apparently a lotsome people got mad when they found out that Top Gear staged the bit when their hovercraft ruined a bunch of peoples lunches. Other people then called the first set of people stupid.

The Mirror posted:

Top Gear fans claim viewers "stupid" if they didn't realise 'faked hovercraft stunt' featuring actors was a set up

Actor blogged about how extras were brought in to play outraged observers - and captured footage of repeated attempts at stunt

Top Gear fans have reacted angrily to claims that a stunt on last week’s show was faked, tweeting that viewers would be stupid if they DIDN’T think the show contained elements that was staged.

Newspaper reports have today claimed that scenes showing presenters Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond leave a trail of destruction along the River Avon as they piloted a home-made hovercraft took several attempts to film.

It has also emerged that actors were booked to play extras for a scene where diners at a riverside restaurant in Warwickshire were left fuming after being drenched with water by the customised Ford Transit van.

Michael Bott, an actor who has appeared in TV shows such as The Bill, wrote in his blog on his how he was hired to play one of the outraged observers.

Describing his two days of work for Top Gear as “his silliest job to date”, the 58-year-old explained that he was not the only thesp brought in for the stunt.

He said: “By the riverside is a very nice restaurant with windows overlooking the Avon and a decked balcony for outside dining.

“I meet the very nice producer and my fellow talent for the day – two girls and a gent – all pleasant and relaxed. Chairs and tables are arranged, close to the river bank. We are now diners enjoying a peaceful meal.”

Adding that “a serious reality check is often needed” for such “beyond bonkers” capers, the RSC and National Theatre veteran also captured footage of other attempts at the feat by Jezza.

A spokeswoman for the BBC said: “I think Top Gear viewers are intelligent enough not to have been taken in.”

Some fans on Twitter agreed - and insisted that it was 'obvious' that the hovercraft exploit was set up.

Trainee solicitor Lloyd Rees (@Lloyd_Rees) wrote: "You were stupid if you thought it was real".

The video that tipped off the angry people:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynPbN0v-sHw

Source: The Mirror

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
That singer 911 was stunning.

Falken posted:

What Clarkson ended up with could only be described as "a trailer".

Best Top Gear in ages. The 911 singer (If they can do that to a 911, please give me a singer 944 thank you and take my money), Sesto Elemento, and the caravaner segments were all fantastic.

I dunno who was SIARPC because that's my smoke break time.

That blurry shot of Hammond's eye in close up as he is driving the Elemento was beautiful. Just a great segment. And for once the fog and theatrics really felt warranted. That car looked like a spaceship from the future and its absolutely true about the poster factor. I had a Lamborghini Countach poster.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 30, 2013

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

soggybagel posted:

That blurry shot of Hammond's eye in close up as he is driving the Elemento was beautiful. Just a great segment. And for once the fog and theatrics really felt warranted. That car looked like a spaceship from the future and its absolutely true about the poster factor. I had a Lamborghini Countach poster.
I was thrilled when they showed it in the preview part, I thought it was just a one off show car and didn't know they went through with the track production model plan.

And kind of surprised they showed the Egoista in the same episode, cause it's ridiculous even by Lambo standards, just look at the door!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBxUO4lLRcc

And that's to step into this:

Couse that's a true one off. The Veneno looks relatively normal, and there's four of them! Kind of like an Aventador with a bit of the Sesto Elemento treatment.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Whatever racing sim gets Egoista and Elemento, I'm buying.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That was a great episode. The looks on Clarkson and May's faces after the night in the car park was priceless, so was their responses to the comment "you are both idiots". I thought James was going to wet himself when he was watching the destruction of Clarkson's caravan.

The Lambo was completely insane, I love how it has no front firewall from what I could see, so you could see the suspension moving around. The Singer 911, well, if I ever won Tattslotto I'd get one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

MrLonghair posted:

Whatever racing sim gets Egoista and Elemento, I'm buying.

The Sesto Elemento has been in Forza for quite a while now.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Aurune posted:

I was kind of hoping the producers would disqualify Clarkson and add the comedy of him sleep in on a board.

Edit: I've been trying to come up with what the joke in the stat board was. I think It's CC'S rear end or Caravan Club'S rear end.

Same on both of these. Too bad they didn't do some followup of James trying to sleep there and Clarkson coming to gently caress with him.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
When he said people don't want a new Porsche that's old, they want an old Porsche that's new, I thought Singer? SINGER!? IT IS! God that's clearly one of the best Porsche's ever.

You Am I posted:

The Lambo was completely insane, I love how it has no front firewall from what I could see, so you could see the suspension moving around.

The firewall is probably somewhere in the middle if it's a mid engine layout.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The seat cushions were glued to the firewall :v:

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 30, 2013

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
That was one of the best Top Gear episodes in ages. I thought the Hovervan from last week was excellent, but the Caravan segment in this had me in stitches.

I also loved that they didn't split the segments up. Fantastic work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ak Gara posted:

When he said people don't want a new Porsche that's old, they want an old Porsche that's new, I thought Singer? SINGER!? IT IS! God that's clearly one of the best Porsche's ever.

The firewall is probably somewhere in the middle if it's a mid engine layout.

I meant the front firewall