Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

:barf: seats from a loving 2004 Sebring and dragon floormats!

What's your problem with the seats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Sir Cornelius posted:

What's your problem with the seats?

They're from a Sebring, which is a terrible car. I'll be honest, I wouldn't be able to tell you year/make/model of the chairs, and think it's a pretty clean resto-mod. I'd drive it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

I dunno, I kinda like this one. It's not the usual garish colour scheme that you see on modified/custom cars and the design is interesting. There's, like, some colours between 0 and 255 in there. They should cover up the badge holes or put the badge back on though. The wheels, spoiler, rain deflectors, hood pins and purple headlight tint also have to go.

I don't think I could ever drive it but it's not the worst modified Saturn I've ever seen.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Just had a realization I wanted to share; I think it's fairly terrible:

My marginal cost for electricity: $0.31/kwh.
I believe it takes 13.4 kwh to charge a Chevy Volt, with 25-30 miles of pure-electric range.
That's 13.8 cents per mile.

In gasoline only mode, the Volt supposedly gets 37mpg with 91 octane gas, currently around $4/gal in Oakland.
That's 10.8 cents per mile.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Steve French posted:

I believe it takes 13.4 kwh to charge a Chevy Volt, with 25-30 miles of pure-electric range.

In gasoline only mode, the Volt supposedly gets 37mpg with 91 octane gas, currently around $4/gal in Oakland.

Congratulations for doing the math rather than buying a "green" vehicle based on emotion and/or as a fashion accessory.

We aren't there yet with the technology or the infrastructure. These things only work out in your favor in very niche situations, even with the government rebates. Many people refuse to believe that.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Motronic posted:

Congratulations for doing the math rather than buying a "green" vehicle based on emotion and/or as a fashion accessory.

We aren't there yet with the technology or the infrastructure. These things only work out in your favor in very niche situations, even with the government rebates. Many people refuse to believe that.

Was not actually thinking of buying one; I have a TDI that I'm perfectly happy with. Was just reading an article about various EVs and saw cost/mile comparisons between electric and gas modes. The costs were closer than I thought, but still favored electric charging, until I saw that they were assuming something like $0.11/kwh. I pay something like $0.13 for baseline use, but once I go past that it quickly jumps up; I don't know how widespread PG&E's tiered pricing is; if it is common, it seems pretty disingenous to calculate cost/mile based on baseline price, since I'd imagine if someone is regularly plugging in their EV at home to charge, they're definitely going to end up in the higher price tiers pretty quickly if they're not already there.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I pay 18¢/kWh. :suicide:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Steve French posted:

Volt owner here --

It takes 12-15 kwh to charge completely (this depends on whether you are using the included 120V charger (15 kwh) or a 240V charging station (12 kwh)). The 2013 models get 30-50 miles of range from the grid (EPA estimate of 38). I'm seeing 45 miles consistently in 90+ degree heat. The gas engine is EPA rated at 37 mpg overall on 91 octane gas. I'm seeing 40 mpg consistently in mostly city driving (under 45 mph) from the gas engine.

If we plug my numbers into your scenario, splitting the difference between the two chargers at 13.5 kwh, I come up with 9.3 cents/mile off the grid electricity and 10.0 cents/mile off the gas generator. Also keep in mind that the Volt allows delayed charging -- so if you charge at home overnight (off peak hours), you should be able to do so for under $0.15/kwh.

At least for me in the midwest, we have a flat $0.12/kwh rate and premium is $3.79/gal. So I'm seeing 3.2 cents/mile off the grid and 9.5 cents/mile off the gas engine.

GM hasn't done a good job explaining how the Volt works or marketing it, and calling it an electric vehicle isn't helping. It's really a modified plug-in hybrid, which is how GM is positioning the upcoming Cadillac ELR.

If you have 100% of a battery, GM has blocked off ~ the top 15% and the bottom 15% because Lithium Ion batteries don't like to be fully charged or discharged (longevity). That leaves 70% of the battery for consumption. 50% of the battery is usable for the 30-50 mile range. The 20% balance is a reserve or buffer for driving while the gas engine kicks on to power the generator to create more electricity. The gas engine's main function is to run the generator to create more electricity. If you accelerate at WOT or are accelerating above 70 mph (or are in Mountain mode) the gas engine will assist the propulsion. In extremely rare situations will the gas engine alone move the car.

I don't mean to sound like a GM shill, but if you put aside the politics around both GM and hybrids/electrics, the Volt really is a clever car. It's not for everyone, and the math doesn't add up for everyone. For me it fits perfectly as a daily driver since my commute is a total of 50 miles. I use under a gallon of gas each week, and the electricity rates are hella good.

And more importantly, I like the Volt and got a hell of a deal on it. Everyone is expecting GM to drop the prices of the 2014 Volts by $4000, and the technology is getting less expensive to build. The real problem with electric vehicles over the next 5-10 years isn't the vehicles but the electric infrastructure. The question is going to be how many electric cars can the current infrastructure support, and how long will it take/cost to upgrade the infrastructure.

I'm still of the opinion that people should drive what they like and am all about variety in the marketplace. I'm definitely not a tree hugger -- since my other car is about as bad of a gas guzzler as they come.

I'll be glad to share my experiences and answer any questions if anyone is interested. If not, I'll go back to my little corner :)

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 28, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Steve French posted:

:stare:

I'm paying 8.9c....

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

some texas redneck posted:

I'm paying 8.9c....

You have no idea how messed up the California energy industry is.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sometimes cranking it to 11 really is a bad idea.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
er, what's gone on there?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Das Volk posted:

er, what's gone on there?

Looks like the syck bass caused the trunk latch hook bit to rip out of the car and the trunk to open taking the latch with it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Snowdens Secret posted:

You get an energy rebate in CA if you're charging an electric car.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Here in Quebec we probably have the lowest rates in North America, 5.41¢/kWh for the first 30 kWh of the day, 7.78¢/kWh from then on, with a 40.64¢ base price per day.

Olivil fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 28, 2013

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Olivil posted:

Here in Quebec we probably have the lowest rates in North America, 5.41¢/kWh for the first 30 kWh of the day, 7.78¢/kWh from then on, with a 40.64¢ base price per day.

In Ontario I pay 6.7¢ off peak, 10.4¢ mid peak, and 12.4¢ on peak. If you charged the car overnight it would only be the off peak price.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

LongDarkNight fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 28, 2013

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Gassers are awesome and don't belong in here :colbert:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Chemmy posted:

You get an energy rebate in CA if you're charging an electric car.

The endlessly deep overlaying lasagna of California-unique taxes, rules, fees, discounts, schedules and rebates is exactly what I was talking about.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

I'm paying 8.9c....

Note that I said marginal cost, not average. PG&E has tiered pricing, my base rate is something like $0.13/kwh; still more than you're paying but not as ridiculous. As you use more energy it goes way up; I think the $0.31/kwh starts after you've used 200kwh in a month. The incentives can be a little hosed up, since they don't account for how many people are living in a household (though I'm not sure how they could reliably do that). When I moved to SF years ago, I first moved into a two-bedroom apartment shared with one other; our monthly bill was something like $45. I then moved into a large 6-bedroom warehouse type situation with 7 people, and our bill was like $350-400/month. We were certainly not using more energy per person in that situation, since we were sharing many of the appliances; it wasn't until I found out about the tiered pricing that it made sense.

I did not know about the CA energy rebate, that might shift things much more in favor of charging a car at home.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Couldn't find the hellaflush thread, so here I am in this one. Went to a hellaflush show. I don't quite get the taste in colors the flush community has.

I guess I kinda get their emoticons.

I totally agree with this guy. Rock on, guy.

Also there was an SLK Benz. This should really go in the other thread, cause SLK Benzes are awesome.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I like the Miata, but I really don't get having the SLK Benz tag on it, whats the point "I like Mercedes SLKs but I cannot afford one so here is my Miata" ?

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Snowdens Secret posted:

Let me tell you about ~36 cents/kWh, plus roughly $10.50 as a basic monthly fee. That's Europe for you! :toot:

Although, given how expensive gas is here, an charging an electric car at home might still work out in your favor. I haven't done the math, though.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

This is certainly a thing of some sort.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

The half open pop ups make it look either really tired or really high.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

Is that a Tiburon?

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

Bovril Delight posted:

Is that a Tiburon?

Looks more like a Moron to me.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Couldn't find the hellaflush thread, so here I am in this one. Went to a hellaflush show. I don't quite get the taste in colors the flush community has.

God help me, I'm really liking the Passat CC. The color is bad but the rest is really working for me at the moment. Time to schedule an appointment with the doctor, clearly something's wrong.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bovril Delight posted:

Is that a Tiburon?

Well spotted.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Nice camo bro.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is that supposed to be desert camo?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

YF19pilot posted:

If he just stuck with KISS this would be awesome, but why Nickleback? Why not Motley Crue or AC/DC?

I'd put KISS in the same musical talent pool as Nickleback. :colbert:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I think it's meant to represent mud to try and compensate for a 4WD not leaving the city.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

I didn't know it was possible to make one of those things uglier. Good lord, that is physically offensive. :negative:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Octopus Magic posted:

I'd put KISS in the same musical talent pool as Nickleback. :colbert:

How dare you.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Steve French posted:

Note that I said marginal cost, not average. PG&E has tiered pricing, my base rate is something like $0.13/kwh; still more than you're paying but not as ridiculous. As you use more energy it goes way up; I think the $0.31/kwh starts after you've used 200kwh in a month.

I used to have a tiered plan, but the first 200-300 were the most expensive.

The plan I'm currently on has a flat rate, but also delivery fees (one flat fee, plus a kWh fee). We have some strange stuff here though - in deregulated areas (i.e. metro areas except for El Paso), you can choose your "electric company", but all you're actually choosing is who bills you. It still comes from the same grid, over the same wires.

Reliant doesn't even own any generating stuff outside of the Houston area, and I'm ~5-6 hours north in DFW. Oncor actually owns the lines and most of the generating capacity in the area.

It's a lot of :psypop:

I'd have to look at the bills to see how many kwh we're actually using, but I know we can nail $500 during a hot summer (per month). I think our record this year is only about $325 though. Central a/c, house with stupidly high ceilings, gas appliances, tons of blown in insulation, and a ~6-7 year old 5.5 ton a/c.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 29, 2013

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I totally agree with this guy. Rock on, guy.

I don't know exactly how it got lost in translation when it went over the Atlantic but ain't nobody else in the world using glowsticks at a dubstep night other than kids in the US. Everyone else in the world also stopped using the word 'rave' in the 90s and got rid of the neon clothing about the same time and look back on those days with shame.

And staying on topic, how to make an already ugly car even worse...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Check out this guy's mad tyte euro clears bro, I don't know if he hooked them wrong so they came on on the brakes, or if his hack job wiring was causing them to both come on and off intermittently, but either way it's loving stupid.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Are those HREs? If so, aren't they extremely pricey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

angryhampster posted:

Are those HREs? If so, aren't they extremely pricey?

They look like 3SDMs which are cheap as balls.