Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

Nice Davis posted:

Why do you think these people would let something like actually buying (or even reading) the book get in the way of calling in garbage?

I don't know what I was thinking :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
Im surprised more people here havent heard of Reza Aslan before. Hes been on Real Time several times, as well as the Daily Show/Colbert Report. Hes even been on Fox News multiple times.

He is a pretty good author too. Ive read No God But God and How to Win a Cosmic War. I definitely plan on picking up Zealot soon.

Anyway, just saw this article. Its pretty conspiracy minded and its fun to see conservatives defending Occupy Wall Street in their own way:

quote:

In June, Infowars.com cited a report by WhoWhatWhy.com revealing that the “FBI was aware of an organization, possibly a local police department or private security company, that had plans to assassinate peaceful protesters during the Occupy Movement.”

The classified document released by the FBI read:

An identified [DELETED] as of October planned to engage in sniper attacks against protestors (sic) in Houston, Texas if deemed necessary. An identified [DELETED] had received intelligence that indicated the protesters in New York and Seattle planned similar protests in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Austin,Texas. [DELETED] planned to gather intelligence against the leaders of the protest groups and obtain photographs, then formulate a plan to kill the leadership via suppressed sniper rifles.

“According to journalist David Lindorff, the FBI planned to assassinate the leaders of the now moribund Occupy movement ‘via suppressed sniper rifles,” a follow up report by Kurt Nimmo confirmed.

The following is a transcript of Alex Jones spoken analysis:

It is essential to understand that information is being declassified on purpose, to create a chilling effect against constitutionally protected activities like demonstrations and protests. But it’s also there to mainline the idea that assassination/death squads are operating within America.

When you have the president signing the NDAA publicly saying we can kill, disappear Americans, we can torture, we can do whatever we want, that can then be given to special forces, contractors and others who have already been carrying out these types of seek-and-destroy operations in foreign countries.

So they believe it’s legal and lawful. In essence, this is the public roll-out, or testing of the waters. A trial balloon for death squads to operate openly in America.

All of this in the name of “terrorism,” when the government itself has become the ultimate terrorists.

This is psychological warfare against police, the military and the general public. It is the mainlining, the normalizing of the most barbarous, over-the-top, illegal activities that governments can engage in.

The open, premeditated plan to murder peaceful demonstrators on a scale that dwarfs Kent State protests.

This is a test to contractors, police, military and the feds–standby for your orders to kill.

This is how they’re creating an army of killers. The police need to know that this is a psyop aimed at them, to see if they’ll carry out over-the-top evil.

We’re talking about a truly hijacked rogue government that’s done this clandestinely in the third world for over sixty years.

What goes around, comes around.

America sat idly by while criminal elements used our government to carry out death squad operations, now it’s coming home.

Cops that don’t follow orders, get beat or sentenced to tax collecting, also known as meeting ticket quotas.

We focused in on the micro–how they’re manipulating the individual security services, let’s expand on the macro. Once it becomes well known that there’s death squads operating it will create a chilling effect.

But it will also cause reprisals.

When somebody’s car blows up like Hastings’ in the future, people will know it was done by the system.

They won’t know who to target, but there will be reprisals.

Military veterans will target every major city with IEDs in the near future and are the number terror threat according the DHS occupation forces.

The off the chart nature of this is what’s so genius. Tyrants that go over the top, tend to succeed more often than tyrants that just move incrementally.

We’ve known for 5 years that DHS was shifting from Al-Qaeda to veterans and gun owners being the number one terror threat. And now it’s just been normalized.

Now we’re being acclimated to the idea of sniper teams taking people out for exercising the first amendment. If it worked for the Nazis and the Soviets, why not here?

Two days ago the House joined the NSA by endorsing illegal spying, which indicates the bottom has completely fallen out of our republic.

The blackest stench of tyranny now spills fourth from the maw of hell. Every form of evil is being released from its eon-old sleep to crawl openly upon the ground and devour our security, our wealth and our future.

They’re getting ready to push us into a civil war.

They’re getting ready to push the security services into confrontations with the American people, to start the conflict that they’ve scripted.

Just like in Iraq they’ve pushed the Shiites off against the Sunnis. It’s pure divide and conquer, it’s scientifically diabolical.

If observers ever want to know how the U.S. could be brought down, it would be from within, with this 21st century type high-tech subterfuge.

This is it.

How can foreign banks steal tens of trillions of dollars of Americans’ money? Simple. Just say protesting banks is an act of terrorism and kill everybody who dares to speak out.

The other so called Americans will just run in fear and endorse the oppression, thanks to mass Stockholm syndrome engineered into them from birth.

The powerful fiction film The Purge, is a near future window into the choices we have to make.

http://www.infowars.com/obama-planned-to-kill-peaceful-protesters-in-sniper-attacks/

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'd describe Infowars as more gonzo than right-wing so it isn't too surprising - since they aren't as gung ho about the GOP their stories focus on fear and distrust.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
So is infowars out of place in this thread? My bad.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

fade5 posted:

Also, radical meme, what happened to your Edward avatar? It saddens me that it's gone, Edward is an awesome character, and the main reason to me that Cowboy Bebop lived up to the hype.

I was just really proud of Wendy Davis and wanted to show some support, especially since Texas Democrats get so few opportunities to support anything political in our state. Which brings me to a personal anecdote about my Texas family. I can always rely on my family to spout off conservative talking points, especially AM radio talking points about current events. So my sister, who although I'm sure she votes Republican is a little more moderate than most of my family, and I were talking about Wendy Davis and how some 20+ women's health clinics will be shut down in Texas, leaving a lot of women in west Texas with little to no choice for affordable health care and my older brother chimes in and says, "just what was the point of that woman even disrupting the whole legislature with her clown act, she didn't accomplish anything by it at all". Well score one for the loving talking heads cause I wasn't going to waste my time to argue with him, even though my sister said "that wasn't the point at all, she should stand up for what she thinks is wrong, that's her job", which was not going to change his mind about the truthfulness of his smug rear end statement that it was all a waste of time. Funny thing, my brother thinks Matt Taibbi is the only honest journalist reporting about Wall Street. Go figure.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 28, 2013

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Alex Jones falls under the heading "Great Americans" in the thread title.

As in, great at getting people to unquestioningly believe his conspiracy theory bullshit, despite lacking any education past high school. :911:
The man who created "Loose Change" and "Prison Planet", despite lacking any: engineering, physics, chemistry, forensic, criminal investigation, political science, journalism, religion, history, medical, psychology, or sociology degrees.

Yet he is an expert who reveals to us the truth that the intellectual masters of your country struggle to keep hidden from the brave men and wom- you get the idea.

gently caress that idiot.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

AShamefulDisplay posted:

I wouldn't say it's completely out of place. Much of Alex Jones' shtick is John Birch Society style populist fear mongering.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I wouldn't say it's completely out of place. Much of Alex Jones' shtick is John Birch Society style populist fear mongering.

I don't know much about it besides the crazy conspiracy angle. Is it as racists as the Birchers, or is it a more equal opportunity group of paranoid con men?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
So does Amazon care about junk reviews? If Amazon starts deleting those reviews maybe some man of industry/job creator will try to make their own amazon/ebay.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Alex Jones' U.N. agenda 21 conspiracy is ripped straight from the Birch Blue Book. Here's an article where "they" tackle his racial persecution complex. It doesn't take much editing to make either Birch or Jones to sound like the other. Swap out communist with shadow government, and it's the exact same argument: that a shadowy dangerous other is the cause for your problems. It's the universal plot, and it's inherently racist.

SPLC Hatewatch posted:

http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2011/08/31/conspiracist-alex-jones-whites-are-the-new-al-qaeda/
Antigovernment conspiracy theorist Alex Jones seems finally to have crossed the Rubicon of race. Earlier this month, the man who may have done more than any other to popularize “truther” theories about government complicity in 9/11 declared that the U.S. government believes that “whites are the new Al Qaeda.”

The source of Jones’ race paranoia is the Department of Homeland Security’s year-old “If you see something, say something” terrorism awareness campaign. According to DHS’ website, the program is meant to encourage people to consider “behavior, rather than appearance” when considering whether to report apparently “suspicious activity” to authorities. “Factors such as race, ethnicity, national origin, or religious affiliation alone are not suspicious,” it says. To drive that point home, DHS produced a series of public service announcements such as a 10-minute video released in July featuring mostly white “terrorists,” while the actors portraying citizens who report their suspicious activities are all minorities.

Jones sees this heavy-handedness as evidence of a racist conspiracy to demonize white people. “Far from representing some superficial nod to political correctness, this is in fact a deliberate effort by the feds to characterize predominantly white, middle class, politically engaged Americans as domestic extremists. It’s all part of the agenda to frame dissent against big government as dangerous radicalism,” reads a widely reposted July 18 article on his website, Infowars.

He was still railing on a month later. “Did I not tell you they were gonna switch it from Al Qaeda to the Tea Party? And now you’re seeing it, I told you. … They’re gonna rebrand the war on terror on the constitutionalists,” Jones fulminated on his Aug. 18 radio show. “I’m asking listeners out there…. What do you think of the rebranding that the terrorists aren’t Al Qaeda anymore? It’s that veteran, it’s that gun owner, it’s that farmer … it’s that white person. Whites are the new Al Qaeda.

“I told you this was coming, I saw it in the memos that were leaked to us,” he claimed. “Now they’re going public, ‘cause they’re getting ready to start the provocateured events and the purely staged events. They’re gonna find mentally ill ex-prisoner white people that they’re gonna recruit in and lead to try to get them to blow up a school bus or something, or to bomb a federal building. And if they can find idiots, they’ll do it that way.”

It is not entirely shocking, given the internal logic of Jones’ antigovernment beliefs, that he appears to be embracing a form of paranoid white nationalism. He has for years flogged racially charged conspiracy theories such as the “Plan de Aztlan,” a supposed plot by Mexico to “reconquer” the American Southwest, and the “Plan de San Diego,” an alleged scheme by undocumented Mexican immigrants to murder all whites over 16. That’s not to mention federal agencies like FEMA, which, Jones has long believed, is plotting to intern dissidents in “death camps.”

Now, veering into racial territory, Jones may have brought a few fellow travelers with him. Last week, William Gheen, head of the nativist extremist group Americans for Legal Immigration PAC (ALIPAC), made a spectacle of himself by claiming that DHS is preparing for a “conflict” with “white America” — words remarkably similar to those from the Jones camp. Gheen added that “extra-political,” “illegal,” and “violent” methods, or perhaps even a military coup, could be the only way to save the country from the man he characterized as “Dictator Barack Obama.”

Gheen was almost immediately criticized severely for what sounded to many like a call for violence, and responded to his critics in a furious “clarification.”

“Yes, I did mention that the Obama administration, in my opinion, is telegraphing a conflict with white America or white Americans. I say this in response to the recent Homeland Security video being played across the nation titled, ‘See Something, Say Something,’ where almost all of the suspected terrorists are white and all of the people calling the police are minorities,” he fumed. “This video, combined with earlier leaked documents showing Homeland Security demonizing the Tea Party, veterans, ham radio operators, and people that like ’80s movies as potential domestic terrorists, shows a clear pattern of our own government demonizing tens of millions of our own citizens!”

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It says something when Infowars almost immediately spins natural disasters and the Boston Bombings as false flags - but the Woolwich murder was reported with a straight face (and then maybe 3 days later it got a 'could it have been a false flag??')

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
A Good Thing is happening

quote:

Cumulus Media, the second-biggest operator of radio stations in the nation, is planning to drop Rush Limbaugh, according to a report from POLITICO.

Last year, over 140 advertisers severed their relationship with the Limbaugh program after the host launched a series of sexist attacks on women’s health advocate Sandra Fluke. Cumulus carries Limbaugh on over 40 stations, including WABC in New York, the nation’s largest market. Losing the New York market could damage Limbaugh’s ability to sell national advertising at all, according to some experts.

Cumulus, according the POLITICO report, will also drop Sean Hannity. In 2012, nearly 100 advertisers also dropped the Hannity show, which features a similar brand of caustic right-wing talk.

In May, the CEO of Cumulus publicly attributed a major decline in revenue this year to lost advertising following Limbaugh’s comments on Fluke.

:getin:

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Amused to Death posted:

I still get pissed off when the Sandra Fluke thing comes up. Limbaugh told an utterly transparent lie, and then gave an apology for using the word "slut" while repeating the same lie, and said lie is still circulating among conservatives. I'm glad to see it's at least had some consequences for Limbaugh, even if the truth doesn't really seem to be winning out.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Amused to Death posted:

It's really just cumulus blaming rush for their own failed business model. Clear channel will start airing rush and all in any major market where he'd disappear from because of cumulus dropping him.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Isn't Clear Channel itself struggling pretty hard right now?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

PostNouveau posted:

Maybe we can start paying Bain Capital to take over other businesses we don't like. I look forward to "Bain Capital acquires Wal-Mart".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Reminder that Clear Channel only came to prominence after buying out an assortment of individually dying boradcasters and broadcast networks in the the 90s.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

HootTheOwl posted:

Muslim wrote a book about the historical Jesus. Apparently being a Muslim means you have to ignore his twenty years of study. I watched the interview and thought he handled himself well, but wasn't speaking the language of Fair and Balance :foxnews:

I wonder how they feel about Akhil Reed Amar.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah. They're on a downward spiral of losing listeners leading to cost cutting and shittier programming, leading to even more lost listeners. They aren't quite to the point of cutting their big name right wing talent, though.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Install Gentoo posted:

Reminder that Clear Channel only came to prominence after buying out an assortment of individually dying boradcasters and broadcast networks in the the 90s.

They weren't really dying, it's just that flush with investor cash Clear Channel and others showed up on their doorstep offering 3-4 times the usual multiples for these stations. Most of these stations/clusters were cash cows, but once you throw in the Bain effect of leeching off all the capital they can get their hands on the model didn't work.....unless you're Bain. Radio has always made a decent amount of money, but not the level that Wall Street would look for long term.

What Cumulus did was a little different. Up until recently they bought all the small markets they could get, with the same markup, with no real intention of actually operating them. Their model was based on constantly searching for more capital to invest and as the well has dried up that's led to bigger and bigger deals in markets they can't dream of operating effectively- which is why you're seeing long time heritage stations die on the vine. A lot of liberal groups are going to take credit for killing Rush and Hannity on Cumulus stations but the real reason they're going away is that Cumulus only wants to air the trash like Geraldo and Huckabee that they own themselves to try and save pennies.

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

baw posted:

I wonder how they feel about Akhil Reed Amar.

Unfavorably I would imagine. Conservatives get squeamish when you even bring up the mention that Jesus was in fact a Jew.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Amused to Death posted:

YES YES YES

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

What will be the most beautiful will be the cries of "right wingers FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS VIOLATED" when Rush or Hannity lose broadcasting platforms due to the free market. :allears:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Zwabu posted:

What will be the most beautiful will be the cries of "right wingers FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS VIOLATED" when Rush or Hannity lose broadcasting platforms due to the free market. :allears:

Coming at noon tomorrow!

Man, I can't wait. Hopefully, they complain enough that Cumulus fires them, and sends them on a forced vacation for a while.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I remember that being rumored a while back but then denied. Good to see it was legit, ahahahaha. Wonder if it'll come up on either of their shows tomorrow.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
words that would make me really happy: Limbaugh moves to podcast only.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I am guessing that this is Cumulus playing with their contract negotiations.

They play up the idea that they have no problem with getting rid of Rush and Hannity (by secret sources saying so) just so they can lowball their contracts.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yea but isn't Limbaugh contracted to the 20's or something insane like that?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Rush and Hannity are contracted with Clear Channel. The dispute with Cumulus is over CC's distribution fee for carrying them. It's not the first time this has happened.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

At first blush the more conspiracy-minded part of me thought this was a play at the big money players of the GOP trying to tame the Tea Party monster that is so inflaming the base as to make Republicans unelectable in national elections. Kill the recognized "thought leaders and drivers" of the party and rein Fox back into a more reasonable-appearing direction and boom, lots of middle aged people turned off by the crazies come streaming back to them.

But it turned out to be a spat between CC and Cumulus.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Doctor Butts posted:

Yea but isn't Limbaugh contracted to the 20's or something insane like that?

Contract negotiations can come up mid contract as well. Anybody who's worked under contract knows it's completely possible to end up making more or just being out of a job mid contract because it was rebid. In the case of Rush he's had contract spats all through his career, so there being another one or saying Fluke caused it well... requires ignoring his history.

Rush is done anyways, his audience is older and dieing off rapidly. I doubt he gives a poo poo as he's older and dieing off, but it's not like conservatives are generating new culture warriors.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but this is exactly why Clear Channel bought WOR in New York last year. At least they'll have a safe landing spot there.

Meanwhile, Sinclair, who you might know as a tv station owner who has a history of putting right-wing programs/news segments on it's stations, agreed to buy a tv station group which includes the ABC station in DC:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/allbritton-announces-agreement-to-sell-television-group-to-sinclair-broadcast-group-2013-07-29

Nevermind the fact that in nearby Baltimore (where they are based), they own one station and have used loopholes to operate 2 others. And they've been buying a lot of stations lately.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

SilentD posted:

Rush is done anyways, his audience is older and dieing off rapidly. I doubt he gives a poo poo as he's older and dieing off, but it's not like conservatives are generating new culture warriors.

Are you sure about that? I know there's a bunch of people on this forum who shook off their parents' right wing bullshit, but it can't be easy escaping from a current Tea Party household unscathed. The constant persecution complex, methodical dismissal of logic, reality, opposing viewpoints and education seems like a rather fruitful breeding ground for culture warriors.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Everyone's favorite publication is celebrating 25 years of El Rushbo.

The Onion posted:

Rush Limbaugh’s eponymous national radio show celebrates 25 years in syndication this Thursday. Here are some of the major moments in the conservative pundit’s controversial career:

1988: Rush Limbaugh’s fledgling program receives initial grant from the National Endowment for the Arts
1990: Gushing, weeklong praise of the movie Ghost
1993: Enters a near nirvanic 19-day on-air trance in which he delivers a single uninterrupted rant against people on welfare wearing new clothes
2000–2008: Pretty much cool with everything government does
2004: Limbaugh’s third wife calls into the show to tell him she wants a divorce
2006: Apologizes for exaggerated impression of Michael J. Fox’s Parkinson’s condition with a practiced, spot-on imitation
2006: Uses the term “Project Massacre” followed by a sound effect of wind chimes to refer to the legalization of abortion
2011: During a very slow news day, Frankie Muniz comes on the show

Source.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

If you want to know what Rush's problem is, go stare into the abyss and read the threads on it over at freep. For all the yelling about what a horrible mistake Cumulus is making and that they'll surely suffer financial woe, half of them then go on to admit that they basically don't listen to him anymore, or that they maybe catch the commercial-free first fifteen minutes or so before bailing out. That's his problem; his ratings were inflated to begin with by bullshit reporting and the real(and much lower) figures are currently in decline. People just aren't really listening. They may read about something he said, or they may listen to clips online later or whatever if some particular thing is generating news, but they're not listening live and sitting through all the commercials, and those are the only listeners that really count.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Walter posted:

Air America, Maher and Olberman are the same as right wing media.

At a certain point, I don't feel like left leaning media figures were left with much of a choice except to fight fire with fire in some cases.

You had Maher being fired from his job, Dixie Chicks albums being steam-rollered, all sorts of accusations of "supporting terrorists" by not endorsing the Bush Doctrine, boycotting Heinz ketchup and French wine, "freedom fries", and all sorts of horrible nonsense directed at John and Theresa Kerry in the 04 election, up to and including mocking Kerry's war record.

How much of that bullshit are we supposed to take before we say "let's stop being ridiculous for a moment?"

Olbermann, Moore and Maher were amongst a scant few who were speaking truth to power in the buildup to the Iraq War. History has shown they were right. Most of the time, history shows people like Rush, Coulter, Hannity, O'Reilly, etc. are wrong. I don't think Stephanie Miller, Thom Hartmann, Bill Press or Rachael Maddow adopt the tactics that even the most mainstream of right wing media pundits do in a way that's nearly expected of them every single day.

The mods shut down the Maher talk for the reason he/she said and they were right to do it. There's already a Maher thread, the false equivalency arguments are indeed stale and no one I know watches those shows to be told what to think the way Rush listeners do.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Install Gentoo posted:

After the fairness doctrine and corporate monopolies of media were allowed. I'm not sure whether to be happy that the free market is dumping Limbaugh, punishing Clear Channel's shortsighted greed or worried that Rush will start crying "censorship" at whatever home he finds.

Basically what Zwabu said.

Good God. How do these assholes not make money? They're entire programming is one big advertisement, basically.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Have any of the usual noise boxes flipped their poo poo about the Pope asking people to treat gays as anything less than subhuman scum yet?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Trast posted:

Have any of the usual noise boxes flipped their poo poo about the Pope asking people to treat gays as anything less than subhuman scum yet?

They'll ignore it probably, just like his comments on high finance. They'll only mention authority figures when they say something or useful or they can be safely attacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Dennis Prager has a sit in today arguing that the US has been on the decline since the south lost the civil war. Next hour is about how nullification is awesome. (I'm not joking about either of those things)