Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

RentACop posted:

Rules wise, Malak is straight up gone right? Not the coffin thing, but vampirism is like a malignant mindstate and any resurrection attempt would just bring back whatever he was before? I feel like we discussed this back when he was talking about his children

Malack himself talked about it, actually!

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0874.html

Niton fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Fair enough, I did miss that bit. However, when I said that I was still operating under that Malack would reform back in his coffin, and not be dead(dead).

As far as Tarquin goes, I think he will be a bit upset that Malack won't be around to keep a unified continent together, and sacrifice a thousand people a day.

Can vampires be resurrected? I mean, not the person they were, but the actual vampire brought back to (un)life?
Maybe if you found another priest of Nergal, who could make a big offering to Nergal to restore Malack?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Niton posted:

Malak himself talked about it, actually!

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0874.html

Great, now I'm a goon stereotype

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Johnny Aztec posted:

Fair enough, I did miss that bit. However, when I said that I was still operating under that Malack would reform back in his coffin, and not be dead(dead).

As far as Tarquin goes, I think he will be a bit upset that Malack won't be around to keep a unified continent together, and sacrifice a thousand people a day.

Can vampires be resurrected? I mean, not the person they were, but the actual vampire brought back to (un)life?
Maybe if you found another priest of Nergal, who could make a big offering to Nergal to restore Malack?

Nope. A wish might do it, but short of that; nothing.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Wondering what Durkon will do next? I'm hoping he's going to open a can of whoop rear end on Nale.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

spoon daddy posted:

Wondering what Durkon will do next? I'm hoping he's going to open a can of whoop rear end on Nale.

He's kind of low on spells after his fight with Malack, though - his only high level left was Planar Ally, which I think is what was used to get the devil.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

RentACop posted:

Rules wise, Malak is straight up gone right? Not the coffin thing, but vampirism is like a malignant mindstate and any resurrection attempt would just bring back whatever he was before? I feel like we discussed this back when he was talking about his children

By which we mean it was explicitly stated in the strip by Malack as the reason he wasn't gong to accept a Ressurection? Yeah.

Barring a smart use of Contingency, which probably would have brought is staff and holy symbol along with, Malack is pretty hosed. As in destroyed and gone forever hosed.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I wonder if he might have a Dismissal or two left, though.

That's one hell of a thing to wake up to.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

spoon daddy posted:

I suspect the first thing he's going to do is rush down to help the rest of the Order. Durkon probably still has Planar Ally prepped, and the Deva he was planning on bringing in has Plane Shift as a spell-like, so they could jump straight to the last gate right behind Xykon. There's nothing on this continent for Nale any more, so he'll try to hide and let his wizard recharge spells; from there, I predict a 50/50 chance that Tarquin, or one of his party buddies, finds him and relieves him of his head, ending one recurring threat but possibly introducing Tarquin's Team as another group of gate hunters.

Vampirism changes mindsets, but Durkon's grudge against undead was like one of his two character traits, so he might submit to Resurrection. It's entirely possible he has a 'just in case' copy memorized and ready to go, like he did on the boats, but the template could help tip the scales against Xykon. Roy would find it distasteful, but they're on a long losing streak, and he has a pragmatic mindset.

Heatwizard fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 29, 2013

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Heatwizard posted:

I suspect the first thing he's going to do is rush down to help the rest of the Order. Durkon probably still has Planar Ally prepped, and the Deva he was planning on bringing in has Plane Shift as a spell-like, so they could jump straight to the last gate right behind Xykon. There's nothing on this continent for Nale any more, so he'll try to hide and let his wizard recharge spells; from there, I predict a 50/50 chance that Tarquin, or one of his party buddies, finds him and relieves him of his head.

Vamparism changes mindsets, but Durkon's grudge against undead was like one of his two character traits, so he might submit to Resurrection. It's entirely possible he has a 'just in case' copy memorized and ready to go, like he did on the boats, but the template could help tip the scales against Xykon. Roy would find it distasteful, but they're on a long losing streak, and he has a pragmatic mindset.

While I don't disagree with your basic thesis...that he might try to help Roy and company...he doesn't have Planar Ally left. Where do you think the demon he summoned came from?

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

jng2058 posted:

While I don't disagree with your basic thesis...that he might try to help Roy and company...he doesn't have Planar Ally left. Where do you think the demon he summoned came from?

I assume that was Summon Monster. Planar Ally takes ten minutes to cast.

e: The dialogue in those panels doesn't really seem like they were waiting around ten minutes, was my idea, although thinking back 'pretend ten minutes pass between each panel' is hauled out in this strip quite a bit, so... v:v:v

Heatwizard fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 29, 2013

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Heatwizard posted:

I suspect the first thing he's going to do is rush down to help the rest of the Order. Durkon probably still has Planar Ally prepped, and the Deva he was planning on bringing in has Plane Shift as a spell-like, so they could jump straight to the last gate right behind Xykon.

The spell summons the entity but doesn't compel them to do what you want, would a Deva work for a vampire?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Could he even still call a deva? IIRC planar ally requests your deity (or other power matching your alignment) to send an creature to help you out, and Durkon's now swimming in the evil end of the alignment pool. Not that I want to start another alignment debate (please no), but it's unlikely Durkon still counts as a cleric of Thor.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Huh, so why do I have the feeling Tarq knew something like this was going to happen and left with the kobold just so they would fight and he could see who was the more competent and useful? Maybe he got tired of Malack or more likely had been planning to get rid of him for a long time (remember what Malack said he wanted to turn the empire into after the rest of his group died). Either way I find it impossible to believe Tarq didn't foresee and plan for this.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Pope Guilty posted:

I think Tarquin might finally decide Nale's outlived his usefulness.

Funny, I think Tarquin might finally decide Nale's demonstrated his usefulness. Hell of a thing he just pulled off.

Poil posted:

Huh, so why do I have the feeling Tarq knew something like this was going to happen and left with the kobold just so they would fight and he could see who was the more competent and useful? Maybe he got tired of Malack or more likely had been planning to get rid of him for a long time (remember what Malack said he wanted to turn the empire into after the rest of his group died).

I get the impression that Tarquin's of a notion that this sort of thing would happen, and whoever got the better of it would be more useful to him than the other (since both coexisting was obviously not going to last).

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Holy crap Nale. :stare:

Also, look at what he did, it wasn't complex at all.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dr Pepper posted:

Holy crap Nale. :stare:

Also, look at what he did, it wasn't complex at all.

Simple plans are the best plans. It did take some planning and coordination. When it was time to act, he and his wizard had to act together instantly, before the powerful 200 year old vampire could react.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

There's so many things going on, that I hope the regular schedule will last a while - Tarquin coming back, Durkon coming to terms with being a vampire, race to the last gate, the gate here, Belkar, Nale vs Order. Also I guess the current fight, but it seems the elemental will be gone soon enough.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Angela Christine posted:

The spell summons the entity but doesn't compel them to do what you want, would a Deva work for a vampire?

Depends on if a "deva from Thor" falls under the category of those angels we see running around whenever Thor shows up drunkenly throwing thunderbolts. I could see Thor kicking one downstairs for the sake of Durkon, even if he is a vampire. Thor seems like the kind of god who doesn't give a single gently caress :black101:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Heatwizard posted:

e: The dialogue in those panels doesn't really seem like they were waiting around ten minutes, was my idea, although thinking back 'pretend ten minutes pass between each panel' is hauled out in this strip quite a bit, so... v:v:v

Summon Monster only lasts a round per level. That's why people are talking about the Order trying to run out the clock on the Silicon Elemental, because even if Redcloak is 17 or 19th level, that's still only like three minutes. Planar Ally is the one you want to have what you called last. Which is exactly what we've seen with the demon and devil that Zz'dtri and Durkon called respectively.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Durkon still has to fulfil his prophecy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Johnny Aztec posted:

Edit: Although, he is being a bit overly dramatic with the " Saaaave me" stuff if he was just going to reform. Perhaps that is just to throw Nale off.

Even if he weren't destroyed utterly by the sunlight, there's still the fact that being burned alive is probably a rather traumatic experience even if you were sure you'd be just fine later. Even then, supposing he did reform, a pious mind like his (he's a cleric, isn't he?) would easily interpret that as a divine answer to his prayer rather than the logical outcome of the rules.

Of course it's all moot since the rules are actually that he won't reform from that, so it's unlikely we'll see him again.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I saw the number of replies and thought "Somebody died"

Definitely not the person I was expecting to. :stare:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
He's not going to reform you idiots it's a loving vampire in sunlight.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I am really looking forward to Durkon talking to the rest of the Order at this point. OOTS has always treated evil characters and alignment pretty thoughtfully and I'm curious how Durkon's alignment change is going to be handled.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

mmkay posted:

There's so many things going on, that I hope the regular schedule will last a while - Tarquin coming back, Durkon coming to terms with being a vampire, race to the last gate, the gate here, Belkar, Nale vs Order. Also I guess the current fight, but it seems the elemental will be gone soon enough.
Yes and i am not sure Vampire Durkon will be happy with his "friend/creator" being killed or will let Nale's dark elf mage with the dispel magic live when Nale can order him to dispel his protection from sunlight at any moment. So basically Nale made a badly planned move. Surprise.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
This was really telling about Nales's whole personality. I mean, it's a pity he grew up to be such a giant shitstick, but I think this was the first strip that shows why he turned out the way he did. Imagine what a horrible childhood he must have had.

Tarquin is already a pretty lovely father for his adult sons, but it must have been even worse for a young Nale. If the sole parental figure you have growing up only cares for you as a potential future adversary in his weird story tropes obsession and was probably pretty distant once it was clear that you weren't up to his standards and you are also constantly surrounded by his weird rear end evil friend, it isn't really surprising he turned out the way he did. Nale is basically Rusty Venture.

It also explained his hatred of Malak. A vampire lizard would be pretty creepy on its own and I bet it wasn't any better when he had an entire host of Vampires around him. Now imagine being a scared ten year old boy and that guy is your dad's main associate. Nale must have been scared shitless of him when he was younger and that turned into an extreme hatred when he got older. Malak basically represent everything wrong with his childhood.

No wonder he resents Elan. I seriously hope we are going to meet his mother too, just for their conversation.

e X fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jul 29, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DoctorTristan posted:

Depends on where vampire Durkon's loyalties lie.

Even if his loyalties don't snap back to the Order, he knows enough to know that they really need to succeed in their mission for his own good.

Absum
May 28, 2013

So can vampires not use the smoke form thing in sunlight?
Malack easily could have gotten the staff back in time if he followed Durkon and using that smoke form thing would prevent Nale from stopping him so?
I assume he just didn't think of going for the staff as well though.

I wonder whether Durkon still hates undead now or if becoming a vampire changed that part of his personality.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Going by the rules, a vampire exposed to direct sunlight only gets a single move action or attack action (note: not the same as a standard action, which is what using Gaseous Form requires) and if whichever of those two the vampire chooses doesn't get it out of the sunlight, it is utterly destroyed on its next turn. Rich obviously relented on it a bit for the sake of storytelling since otherwise Malack wouldn't even be able to cast Slay Living, but normally a vampire caught in sunlight with no nearby cover really is completely boned.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Heatwizard posted:

The Barbed Devil was summoned using Planer Ally. Rich confirmed it. Added on a Barbed Devil needs summon monster IX to be summoned normally.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It looks like his robes and cloak afforded him some protection, which is why he held on as long as he did. In gaseous form he might have been completely unprotected.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He (the planar ally for the vampire, that is) can also do whatever the gently caress he wants now that the person who summoned him is slain. He's probably more pissed off at the group who summoned him than these random desert mooks.

greatn fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 29, 2013

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
All this Durkon talk about free will is why you can't let most players keep playing their characters after they turn evil. Becaues they're always going to try to rule-lawyer themselves into basically staying as they were before instead of properly acting out the new part.

If Durkula did choose that he needed the OOtS for his mission, it'd make a lot more sense to beat them into submission, wait for night time then turn as many of them into his vampire pets as the HD limit allows and dominating the rest, rather than trying to somehow save them as living Durkon would have done.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Absum posted:

So can vampires not use the smoke form thing in sunlight?
Malack easily could have gotten the staff back in time if he followed Durkon and using that smoke form thing would prevent Nale from stopping him so?
I assume he just didn't think of going for the staff as well though.

I wonder whether Durkon still hates undead now or if becoming a vampire changed that part of his personality.

If vampires could just cruise around in the sunlight using mist form, they would do so, come on people.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

He (the planar ally for the vampire, that is) can also do whatever the gently caress he wants now that the person who summoned him is slain. He's probably more pissed off at the group who summoned him than these random desert mooks.

Durkula summoned the barbed devil and still controls it. If he sides with the Order he can have it turn on whatever the drow summoned.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

peak debt posted:

All this Durkon talk about free will is why you can't let most players keep playing their characters after they turn evil. Becaues they're always going to try to rule-lawyer themselves into basically staying as they were before instead of properly acting out the new part.

If Durkula did choose that he needed the OOtS for his mission, it'd make a lot more sense to beat them into submission, wait for night time then turn as many of them into his vampire pets as the HD limit allows and dominating the rest, rather than trying to somehow save them as living Durkon would have done.

He's evil, not psychotic. (Well, he might be psychotic right now what with going through vampire puberty, but that's temporary.) He is evil, but he has no experience being evil. He isn't in the habit of being evil. All his memories will be telling him that cooperation is useful. Plus he's probably Lawful Evil, not Chaotic Evil.

The comic has shown us plenty of evil people capable of cooperation. Belkar is Chaotic Evil and quite enjoys murdering things, but still hasn't tried to massacre the Order because they are fun and useful to him.

The bigger problem is that Roy is a stick in the mud, and will quite likely try to kill Durkon as soon as he can. Killing him and having him resurrected later could easily seem like a better idea to Roy than letting his friend slide further into evil. Durkon is going to need to eat, and I doubt his friends will be okay with that. (Being new he's probably a messy eater too.)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Zz'drizt or whatever's speech bubble isn't gray in panel 7. I wonder if this was a mistake or if it counts as him yelling. :v:

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

peak debt posted:

The purpose of RP is fun and Durkon working with the order as a vampire is a hell of a lot more fun than your 'most logical' scenario there. If what is more fun goes against 'the rules' but everybody is on board with it being more fun, its time to ignore said rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294914

Rich :allears: