Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I realize that this is a bit of a cultural thing given that this is a Japanese game, but Ellen claiming that Suzette's family didn't do anything wrong when she's already been told that Suzette's mom went insane and was extremely abusive sounds pretty hollow.

I mean, they didn't deserve what apparently happened to them before Suzette was born, but Suzette really does have every right to be so bitter after her childhood. If social services had a say in it (which they don't, this being a JRPG and all), Regine would have been locked up long before this game began. Ellen herself should really be more angry considering that Regine lured her here by impersonating her mother for some revenge scheme, too.

Ah, well.

Nidoking posted:

And it managed to sit undiscovered for 17 years, yet the moment anyone suspected it was there, it turned up immediately. They must have recovered his body from that spot, even.

Renaldo was very focused and coherent for a dying guy.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Oooooh, voting is open! I totally wanna see Ellen's part first, this time.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

Geostomp posted:

I realize that this is a bit of a cultural thing given that this is a Japanese game, but Ellen claiming that Suzette's family didn't do anything wrong when she's already been told that Suzette's mom went insane and was extremely abusive sounds pretty hollow.

I mean, they didn't deserve what apparently happened to them before Suzette was born, but Suzette really does have every right to be so bitter after her childhood. If social services had a say in it (which they don't, this being a JRPG and all), Regine would have been locked up long before this game began. Ellen herself should really be more angry considering that Regine lured her here by impersonating her mother for some revenge scheme, too.

Ah, well.

Renaldo was very focused and coherent for a dying guy.

I thoroughly agree with all of this. As I said earlier, Suzette is a very angry young woman , but it's fully appropriate given her background.

Also, I made the same mistake about Bugaboo/Barghest and took about the same amount of time to realize it.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Yes, when you unplug the usb charge cable from a ps3 controller it has to reconnect. I think this is because it can communicate over the usb cable so when you unplug it it turns on the Bluetooth and has to connect that way.

Sure, Ellen sounds like an interesting path.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

I'd like to see more of Ellens side of the story. She seems to have the most solid leads now, and if chapter 1 is any indication, the game kinda expects you to go Ellen and then Keats.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Major_JF posted:

Yes, when you unplug the usb charge cable from a ps3 controller it has to reconnect. I think this is because it can communicate over the usb cable so when you unplug it it turns on the Bluetooth and has to connect that way.

I didn't disconnect it, though. I assume it was jostled by all the controller-jerking and came just loose enough to lose the connection. I'll be playing with it disconnected from now on - I kept it connected in previous LPs to avoid the battery warning popping up, but that doesn't seem to be a problem.

Golden_Zucchini posted:

Also, I made the same mistake about Bugaboo/Barghest and took about the same amount of time to realize it.

The sad part is that that's the one use I was referring to when I said Bug-a-boo had one use. It turns out that's not even a use. Fortunately, I've found it very useful otherwise, but I think I'll save my discussion of that for the Bestiary, hopefully next weekend.

Bargest must be upset that the artist of the book made its horns so small.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I vote for the segment that comes next chronologically.

Charlie still owns even if he doesn't have a windpipe

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

DOOP posted:

I vote for the segment that comes next chronologically.

Abstention noted - there's not really a chronology to speak of, aside from chapter 1 coming before chapter 2 and so on. Both characters are chronologically going through each chapter at the same time. If you're asking me to predict which character's events begin earlier, I have no idea.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Nidoking posted:

Abstention noted - there's not really a chronology to speak of, aside from chapter 1 coming before chapter 2 and so on. Both characters are chronologically going through each chapter at the same time. If you're asking me to predict which character's events begin earlier, I have no idea.

For chap 1, I thought the game explicitly had Keats' part coming before Ellen's? Was that an exception or did I misunderstand what was happening?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

DOOP posted:

For chap 1, I thought the game explicitly had Keats' part coming before Ellen's? Was that an exception or did I misunderstand what was happening?

Well, it did. And if you'd like to play ahead and figure out which character's story comes first and vote for that character, feel free. I assume Ellen's part will be first this time, because she's the one who knows that Ryan is the lighthouse keeper, but like I said at the start, I remember maybe three things about this game and none of them are suitable to discuss in the thread because they all come at the end of the game. So maybe what you missed is that I've played through chapter 1 but haven't played through chapter 2 yet, and that's why I know what happens in chapter 1 and don't know what happens in chapter 2. Besides which, if I were inclined to use information we haven't learned yet to make the LP, I'd have dispensed with the voting and just played through in an order that makes sense.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Nidoking posted:

Well, it did. And if you'd like to play ahead and figure out which character's story comes first and vote for that character, feel free. I assume Ellen's part will be first this time, because she's the one who knows that Ryan is the lighthouse keeper, but like I said at the start, I remember maybe three things about this game and none of them are suitable to discuss in the thread because they all come at the end of the game. So maybe what you missed is that I've played through chapter 1 but haven't played through chapter 2 yet, and that's why I know what happens in chapter 1 and don't know what happens in chapter 2. Besides which, if I were inclined to use information we haven't learned yet to make the LP, I'd have dispensed with the voting and just played through in an order that makes sense.

Woops, missed that.

Eh, lets play Keats and have his hulk out

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012
As much as I miss Keats, Ellen seems to have the more solid leads to go on right now. I'll throw in a vote for her.

Rhiodise
Feb 22, 2013
Gotta go with Keats. All smarmy sarcasm, all of the time.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Voting for Keats, he needs to meet more forks folks.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I'm going with Keats this time.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
I'm actually inclined to go with Ellen to start off Chapter 2 simply because she knows where to go next. Keats hit a brick wall and doesn't have much of a clue at the moment outside talking to people until Ellen says something or a villager lets slips something.

As for the comment about who happens first, what I've gathered simply by watching is things are happening at the same times and sometimes Keats and Ellen cross paths, sometimes they find out they are one step behind the other. It honestly felt like it was going back and forth in Chapter 1, though it did seem like Keats had the upper hand at times. This may not hold true for the rest of the game.

Leman Rusk
Oct 9, 2012

That's Disgusting
New area = New Pretty Dress. (or cloak)

Ellen

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Keats started the last chapter, so Ellen should start this one.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Go with Ellen.

Archaotic
Aug 12, 2008
If memory serves, Chapter 2 is more of an Ellen chapter than a Keats one anyways, so I'd also vote Ellen this time. I seem to remember doing Keats first and being very confused by the events in that chapter until I went back and played Ellen's side.

Also, I'm really glad this game is getting an LP - Folklore was the game, along with inFAMOUS, that got me to plunk down the money for my PS3 in the first place. Sad that we'll never see a sequel.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Keats' side of the story is the more interesting one to me right now, he is an outsider who has no idea what the heck is even going on and what does he have to do with it all, even if it comes across as more of a supplemental nature compared to Ellen's investigations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
For now it seems like both characters' chapters are assuming you've played the other one, which is a bit of a weird approach, but kind of interesting all the same. Are you supposed to play the game in parallel?

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Let's go with Ellen then, just because her story looks more interesting to me at this point. Also, I'm still confused regarding the matter of Folklore; if both storylines are canonical, how could they fight the same monster twice collectively? Or is it one of those things where Folklore just refused to "die" the first time, and we just see the other person finish it off to nab another memory? If this involves spoilers, better to not answer this question then.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Glazius posted:

For now it seems like both characters' chapters are assuming you've played the other one, which is a bit of a weird approach, but kind of interesting all the same. Are you supposed to play the game in parallel?

This is as parallel as the game can be played - you have to choose a character, then complete the chapter, before you can change characters. Since both stories are happening simultaneously, more or less, each story will contain references to the other. I expect there will be plenty more of that as we get into chapters with more complex plots.

Daigerus posted:

Let's go with Ellen then, just because her story looks more interesting to me at this point. Also, I'm still confused regarding the matter of Folklore; if both storylines are canonical, how could they fight the same monster twice collectively? Or is it one of those things where Folklore just refused to "die" the first time, and we just see the other person finish it off to nab another memory? If this involves spoilers, better to not answer this question then.

I honestly have no idea how it works. Bogle and Scarecrow seemed rather concerned about Keats being the one to defeat the Folklore, but that didn't stop Ellen from doing it as well. If there's an answer that's a spoiler, I don't have it at hand. The manual does mention an item received from the defeated Folklore that may be a key to reaching other Realms (which may or may not come up within the game), but we're also going to need Mementos of the Dead to open future Netherworld Doors. Scarecrow said that defeating the Folklore proved Ellen's worth to move to another world... perhaps there's more to this than we currently understand, or perhaps it's just handwaved away for gameplay mechanics.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Okay, I think the voting has died down and while it was a close race at first, Ellen has pulled way into the lead in the end. Voting is closed and I'll start working on chapter 2 this weekend.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I'm posting considerably sooner than I thought I would because the game caught me by surprise - I forgot that there was a decision right at the start of chapter 2. The choices in the game, much like the order in which we play each character's story, don't ultimately impact the story, but each choice does affect a few scenes, and each one can only be made once - the first character to play that chapter makes the decision, and the other character will abide by it during the second iteration of the chapter. I want to make these matters for the thread to vote on even though there are no real consequences to most of the choices, just because that's the "Let's" part of "Let's Play", and this is your story as much as it may be mine. At least for this first choice, I've shown both outcomes in the video because it made the most sense to me that way - the only thing that the thread's decision will affect is how the same scene plays out when we revisit it as Keats. Meanwhile, things are progressing with both Ellen and Keats rather obviously working toward the same goal:

Ellen - Chapter 2 Investigation Youtube

And now, the vote, which I'll probably close tomorrow as long as I've got a few responses: Should Ellen keep Ryan's memento, or should she give it to Keats? The vote is over; thanks to those who participated!

Nidoking fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 4, 2013

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012
I think it would be best if we hand over the photo. As a show of good faith if nothing else. Also, Keats really needs to cut it out with that creepy laugh of his.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Hand it over, if only to make a show of cooperation.

Also, I'm guessing the next netherworld isn't so friendly, based on that entrance. Also, the fire everywhere. Lots and lots of fire.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Eldataluta posted:

I think it would be best if we hand over the photo. As a show of good faith if nothing else. Also, Keats really needs to cut it out with that creepy laugh of his.

I agree with handing it over. Also on the laughing thing, at least change your e's into a's if you're gonna laugh to yourself, Keats.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Good enough for me - handing it over was my first choice as well because it made the most sense somehow, so that's what I'll go with. Thanks for weighing in, and I'll get back to work on the Bestiary for Ellen's Chapter 1 and get the rest of this chapter recorded today.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I love Keat's and his snarky chuckling more and more... but how many times does the guy have to change into a rampaging anime before he acknowledges faeries and the rest are real?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Okay, I recorded the gameplay footage for the rest of the chapter today... over the course of many, many hours. Boy, is there going to be a lot of editing. I'm just going to cut out a lot of the boring and repetitive bits (particularly during the hours of grinding) and leave in all the embarrassing parts, like when I forgot to capture a Folk, which would have led to me collecting a page, which wouldn't actually have helped me fight the second mini-boss, but it's the principle of the thing. (It might have made my first try a bit less of a failure, though - when the only element you think to use is one it's not particularly weak to, it can take a very long time to wear it down.) I also spent a while searching for the Cloak, only to realize that it's the prize for the mid-chapter quest. That, too, would have helped immensely. Still, there are some moments of great fun, like my final strategy for fighting the first mini-boss.

Of course, this will all take quite some time to bring to you - potentially as much as three weeks if things go poorly in my home life, such as if I make the foolhardy decision to try to catch up on all the videos I bookmarked because the hotel Internet connection I had to use last week couldn't handle them. So, while I work on all of that, enjoy the Bestiary for Ellen's Chapter 1 - there are a surprising number of Folks there, and while I got lazy and left a few of the descriptions alone from Keats' Bestiary, there's still plenty of reading there.

Holy... 9.35 GB of video? What have I done?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Nidoking posted:

Holy... 9.35 GB of video? What have I done?
That's... an amazing amount of video. Is that BEFORE or AFTER editing and formatting into a more sensible file type and such? Because raw video capture is, in my experience, HUGE on file size.

Also, this caught my eye:

Poor guy just wants a hug.

Shei-kun fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Aug 5, 2013

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Shei-kun posted:

That's... an amazing amount of video. Is that BEFORE or AFTER editing and formatting into a more sensible file type and such? Because raw video capture is, in my experience, HUGE on file size.

That has to be after some editing, because 10GB of raw capture is about 10 minutes worth, give or take a bit depending on your resolution and framerate.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

This is the 720p capture capability of my HD-PVR, the combined file sizes of the M2TS files for the remainder of the chapter, including one very short one that I'm not going to use (68.7MB for a minute or two). It's about four and a half hours total. For reference, the raw file from the Investigation video was 2.6GB, including a minimalist second run through the chapter where I only talked to Harriet and met Keats, then did the rest of the stuff shown in the video. Almost half of the raw video is the grinding portion, including 3.1GB of the initial buildup of the Karmas that didn't take much item grinding, and another 1.2GB when I decided to go ahead and grind an item from one of the most annoying enemies to fight.

Also for reference, it's a total of 3GB at a 1/2 frame reduction, XVid/128kbps MP3 AVI, still 59.94 fps, which I use to write my Avisynth script because my computer chugs way too much trying to play the raw video. If I weren't so lazy, I'd remove a lot of the intermediate files just to save space. When I need the room, I'll probably clean up and defragment for a few days.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

GhostBoy posted:

That has to be after some editing, because 10GB of raw capture is about 10 minutes worth, give or take a bit depending on your resolution and framerate.

You're thinking of a FRAPS .avi which is crazy high quality. A Hauppauge HD-PVR records an .m2ts format that is significantly more efficient (plus it can only do 720p).

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Ah, right. Didn't know capture cards worked that way. Cool, thanks for the tech-speak. Unlike many people, I like to know how the sausage is made sometimes ;)

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
Well, I'm just about done with the game. All I have left are a few more karmas and (what I think is) the final boss. Getting these last few karmas has turned into a noticeable slog, though. The real problem, however, is that I may have to finish the game without unlocking all the karmas because I can't figure out where to get two items that I need. Karma grinding aside, though, this has been a pretty darn good game. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Nidoking.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Golden_Zucchini posted:

Well, I'm just about done with the game. All I have left are a few more karmas and (what I think is) the final boss. Getting these last few karmas has turned into a noticeable slog, though. The real problem, however, is that I may have to finish the game without unlocking all the karmas because I can't figure out where to get two items that I need. Karma grinding aside, though, this has been a pretty darn good game. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Nidoking.

There's really no need to unlock every Karma... most of the Folks aren't even that useful in the end, and the ones that are of much use are the ones you'll probably end up unlocking just naturally. That said, I don't think there's any shame in looking at Gamefaqs for where to find the items you need - I think a few only ever spawn from a particular crystal in chapter 3 that you'd have no reason to revisit unless you knew it was the only source of that item, for example. I'd say that as long as you've got a favorite Folk or two of each element and you've built them up as much as you need to, you should be good. That may not be entirely true against the final boss, but you've got a picture book to tell you which Folks you'll need for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

With this week's update, we begin our exploration of the second Realm properly, and I have to say, I'm very disappointed. While there are a couple of fun and useful Folks in this Realm, most of them exist to fill two gaps in our Folk palette so far: A lack of proper long-range non-elemental attacks, and a relatively small number of Destroy element attacks. All but two of the Folks here fall into one of those two categories, and we'll never be wanting for either again. (Not that these Folks will be the last of our Destroy attacks... not by a long shot.) Of the remaining two Folks, one is the final element we've been missing, and the other is a shield with limited usefulness, although most major encounters in this Realm are designed for it. The theme of this Realm, in other words, really limits the variety of Folks that will be available, and I can think of at least three that I'm unlikely ever to use again. What is that theme, you ask?

Welcome to Warcadia, ladies and gentlemen. Enjoy your stay.

Ellen - Chapter 2 Combat First Half Youtube

• Locked thread