Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

dsriggs posted:

No, they won the lawsuit and got all the dollars they were entitled to.

I still love how it was a $1 judgement that was tripled due to anti-trust laws to a $3 windfall. Something about that fact just makes me laugh whenever I think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

CraigK posted:

I still love how it was a $1 judgement that was tripled due to anti-trust laws to a $3 windfall. Something about that fact just makes me laugh whenever I think about it.

Letterman weighed in on it with a Top 10 List:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IhUO00qBmk

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Watched the Bo documentary for the first time today. Loved except for that one part that I'm sure bugged the poo poo out of everyone else.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Declan MacManus posted:

Watched the Bo documentary for the first time today. Loved except for that one part that I'm sure bugged the poo poo out of everyone else.

Chuck Klosterman?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

tatankatonk posted:

Chuck Klosterman?

Oh, also that. I meant the part where the writers were falling all over themselves to praise Bo's purity and how they would have to "question everything" if he played in the steroid era.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Just saw that Knuckleball went up on Netflix if you're like me and want to watch the Dickster knuckling the poo poo out of people.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
:siren: PROGRAMMING ALERT :siren:

The first Nine for IX special debuts on July 2 at 8PM ET: "Venus Vs", about Venus Williams' fight to win equal pay for female tennis athletes

http://espn.go.com/espnw/w-in-action/nine-for-ix/article/8948839/nine-ix-film-summary-director-venus-vs

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The next slate of 30 for 30s have been announced:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/espns-30-30-series-feature-592493

They include Tonya and Nancy, Jimmy Connors in 1991 and John Spano's attempted ownership of the Islanders.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
The Kerrigan-Harding doc should be great, but Kerrigan will never sit and talk about it. It's like how Chris Webber couldn't do the Fab Five doc.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Spirits doc will own because Marvin Barnes owns

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

The Spirits doc will own because Marvin Barnes owns

quote:

The flight leaves Louisville at 8 pm and is scheduled to arrive in St. Louis at 7:56 pm. Upon reading the flight itinerary [Barnes] becomes confused and asks how can this be, someone breaks down the time zones and how St. Louis is an hour behind Louisville. [Barnes] says that they can cancel his ticket because “I ain’t gettin’ on no time machine!” He proceeded to rent a car for the trip.

kokuja
Jun 16, 2003

She smells like angels oughta smell. The perfect woman. The goddess.
Favorites
The U
Winning Time
You Don't know Bo

Interesting
A simple Game
The Marinovich Project
Elway to Marino

Meh
Straight Outta LA

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

The Kerrigan-Harding doc should be great, but Kerrigan will never sit and talk about it. It's like how Chris Webber couldn't do the Fab Five doc.

Or how Ray Lewis didn't do The U but that may have been because he got there a little later. Oh well, there's a special celebrity cameo Hint: he was replaced by Warren Sapp.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

NBC just announced their own Tonya-Nancy doc during the Olympics where Nancy will speak:

http://nbcumv.com/mediavillage/sports/nbcsports/pressreleases?pr=contents/press-releases/2013/07/27/exclusivenancyk1390322.xml

Of course, it will probably interrupt whatever 12-hour old action they're holding back.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I thought Chris Webber didn't do the Fab Five thing because he was banned from being associated with Michigan until this year.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Kenya posted:

Favorites
The U
Winning Time
You Don't know Bo

Pony Excess really needs to be on that list.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Pony Excess and The Two Escobars are both amazing.

From Elway to Marino is really good too.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Rumors have a Maurice Clarett-based 30 for 30 debuting after the Heisman ceremony this winter.

June 17, 1994 is gripping as hell.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Pony Excess is one of the few I'll watch over and over because it's one of the rare times when I'll say "Hell yeah they're talking to Skip Bayless"

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

Declan MacManus posted:

I thought Chris Webber didn't do the Fab Five thing because he was banned from being associated with Michigan until this year.

He couldn't attend events put on by UM or that UM was at. I think he very much could've spoken about the Fab Five but he declined to comment because he would've been asked about taking money to play.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I finally finished watching all of the first volume of 30 for 30s; I have to say, nearly all of them were really interesting stories...frankly, some of them I went into thinking I wouldn't care for the story but by the end, I found I had enjoyed watching it.

Good Episodes
Small Potatoes
The U
Silly Little Game
The 16th Man
June 17, 1994
Two Escobars
Into the Wind
Once Brothers

Surprisingly Good Episodes
The Band That Wouldn't Die
Unmatched
Jordan Rides the Bus
One Night in Vegas

Meh
Four Days in October (and I'm a Red Sox fan!)
Little Big Men
Guru of Go
A King's Ransom (being from Canada, I've grown seriously sick of hearing about the Gretzky trade for the last 25-odd years)
Birth of Big Air

I'm looking forward to watching the next season, as well as the other semi-related productions.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
John Singleton deserves to be mocked for his puff piece on Marion Jones. The absolute worst one so far.

Ice Cube's piece on the Raiders is probably 2nd worst, although I'm not looking at a list to make sure.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I watched Catching Hell last night and it was surprisingly good, despite being about Baseball.

Poor Steve Bartman

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

GD_American posted:

John Singleton deserves to be mocked for his puff piece on Marion Jones. The absolute worst one so far.

Ice Cube's piece on the Raiders is probably 2nd worst, although I'm not looking at a list to make sure.

The one about Yankee Stadium was godawful too

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

SteelAngel2000 posted:

The one about Yankee Stadium was godawful too

Which is all the more disappointing because its by one of my favorite documentarians of all time.

MUST WATCH

June 17, 1994 (My Favorite of the first run)
The U
The Two Escobars

Good

No Crossover: The Trial of Allen Iverson
Small Potatoes: Who Killed the USFL?
Pony Excess (Though this is too long)
Into the Wind
The Best That Never Was
Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. The New York Knicks
The Birth of Big Air

Bad

Once Brothers - Everyone seems to love this one but I found it completely unsatisfying and unwilling to push with the hard questions. You get a bogus (force narrative) moment of catharsis at the end in the awkward family meet up and thats about it. A legitimately interesting story that gets a poor story telling)
Tim Richmond: To the Limit - From what I learned in the 30 for 30 thread a complete white wash of what really happened. Bullshit again because like Once Brothers (done by the league's in house team) its done by NASCAR films.
Four Days In October - Yeah, what I really needed was a retelling of one of the biggest sports events in the last 10 years. Way to really tell a hidden gem of a story ESPN.
Straight Outta L.A. - Should have been amazing. Instead it is a hamfistedly forced in to a parallel story of the rise of hip hop and Ice Cube waxing about how cool Silver and Black is.
Marion Jones: Press Pause - Another that should have been amazing..instead bizarre and just plain bad. The worst of the series in my opinion.

ADDENDUM. POST 30 For 30 ESPN DOCS

The magic johnson one was okay, but it felt long. I mostly watched it because the footage from when it happened is the most fascinating. Just the pure shock that you could feel in the press conference and of random clips of people just watching the news. It's why June 17, 1994 is so fascinating. Without voice over it provides a look in to an amazing day. It's pure time capsule. Also in that Magic Johnson one when they show that clip from his tv special where the young girl who has HIV is crying and says she just wants to have sleepovers and be a normal kid and it cuts to the crew on set crying, i loving lose it.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 29, 2013

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The worst part about the Red Sox one is Bill Simmons' insufferable smugness. How about you make one about Game 162, Bill? :smug:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I think the worst one I remember was Broke. Best was the Escobar or OJ one probably, The U was great too.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

vaginal culture posted:

I think the worst one I remember was Broke.

Yea, that one seemed to be edited pretty schizophrenically.

Looking forward to Jimmy Connors 1991:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ww7KM2qFR4

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The worst part about The U and Broke is how cheap the graphics package looks. Yeah, real nitpicky but it just looks like it was all done on imovie in two hours.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

The worst thing about Broke was that it needed more Herm Edwards.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

soggybagel posted:

The worst part about The U and Broke is how cheap the graphics package looks. Yeah, real nitpicky but it just looks like it was all done on imovie in two hours.

I know what you mean, but I feel that was a stylistic decision with The U and a matter of Broke just being a real steamer from start to finish.

Gotta go with June 17, 1994 as my #1. When's the last time we had a loving day like that? Twitter would crumble into a pile of poo poo with all the cross-story sports chatter and then oh yeah OJ iced his ex wife and her bf and the whole city of LA (in 1994! What would that have looked like today!?) filled the streets to watch him take a joyride. We'd need an entirely separate Youtube channel for the content uploaded in one evening if that took place today.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

Fauxhawk Express posted:

The worst thing about Broke was that it needed more Herm Edwards.

You misspelled Andre Rison

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

GD_American posted:

I still like the Raiders one because I never knew much about the team and its impact on pop culture. I guess it could have been done better. It's not right at the bottom of the pile for me at least.

However, that Marion Jones one doesn't even deserve to be called a documentary film. What a piece of poo poo.

One Night in Vegas loving sucks too with its terrible storytelling style and animation. I was really looking forward to it and didn't even finish watching it when it came on.

The only bad thing about Roll Tide/War Eagle was that it was way too short.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

You misspelled Andre Rison

I would've watched a 2.5 hour version of Broke where all they did was add more Rison and Herm

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

soggybagel posted:

Tim Richmond: To the Limit - From what I learned in the 30 for 30 thread a complete white wash of what really happened. Bullshit again because like Once Brothers (done by the league's in house team) its done by NASCAR films.

Unfortunately, NASCAR likes to deny its sketchier moments and paint them in a prettier light, and will threaten to squash anybody that speaks against them (see $50,000 fines for complaining about the new car). Some of the archival clips and interviews with people that didn't seem to care what NASCAR thought (Dr. Jerry Punch and Kyle Petty, the latter thought the handling of the whole "pneumonia" situation was bullshit from the beginning) were the best.

e- I had never thought about the possibility of Richmond getting a ride and running the '88 Busch Clash to use the car as a suicide machine.

One of the mini-documentaries about Wendell Scott's first win in the 1960s (and the deliberate awarding of the win to Buck Baker, who finished second, so as to not piss off rednecks) might be interesting, but the producer would probably wind up face down in a North Carolina field once Brian France got wind.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 30, 2013

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I wish somebody would do a doc about how much of a oval office Brian France is

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

shyduck posted:

If you have archives, about a year ago (?)the NASCAR thread had a poster with some incredible France family stories.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

shyduck posted:

No one is going to watch that. And a Wendell Scott 30 for 30 would be white washed more than the Richmond one was.

On the other hand you have a whole lot of great things you could do with racing. Bill France vs the Teamsters, Bill France vs Petty and the drivers union, Senna's death and how someone went to prison for manslaughter, the split and what a douche bag Tony George is. The USAC/Champ car split. Anything about the Isle of Mann TT. The history of Le Mans, any part of it. I can not believe there isn't a 9X9 on Muldowney or Guthrie.

My point is there are hundreds of things in racing you could do, as long as NASCAR doesn't get their hands in it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Danica! posted:

the split and what a douche bag Tony George is.

This is the one I'd seriously love to see, and figure ESPN would do seeing as they're losing NASCAR but will still have IndyCar coverage through 2018.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Redgrendel2001 posted:

If you have archives, about a year ago (?)the NASCAR thread had a poster with some incredible France family stories.

Wasn't that Hagetaka (or whatever his name is now)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

CBJSprague24 posted:

This is the one I'd seriously love to see, and figure ESPN would do seeing as they're losing NASCAR but will still have IndyCar coverage through 2018.

ESPN wants out of racing, and honestly if they could get a viable offer from NBC and approval from IndyCar, they would drop racing and any mention of it in a god drat heartbeat. So its hard to see them even bothering with the effort of producing something pretty compelling.

• Locked thread