Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Sockser posted:

IIRC, Znap was closer to Construx

e: This dude does some neatish things with Construx: http://construxion.tripod.com/
Construx kinda sucked.

As an adult, Construx sucks. But as a kid, being able to build structures larger than yourself was an incredible feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My biggest complaint with Contsrux is that no one ever had enough of them to build much of anything, because they weren't very common presents. In the 80's if anyone was going to get a kid a construction toy, 9 times of 10 it was going to be a box of lego.

So it usually ended up someone had a few scattered construx pieces mixed in with the tub of lego, and they did nothing but get in the way.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

xzzy posted:

My biggest complaint with Contsrux is that no one ever had enough of them to build much of anything, because they weren't very common presents. In the 80's if anyone was going to get a kid a construction toy, 9 times of 10 it was going to be a box of lego.

So it usually ended up someone had a few scattered construx pieces mixed in with the tub of lego, and they did nothing but get in the way.

That sounds about like my experience.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

xzzy posted:

That's what I've noticed when I get tubs of childhood Lego from people. There's almost always a few pieces from some other building toy mixed in. A couple of small Construx beams or stars, some K'nex beams, some guns from an action figure, a few broken Transformer bits...then the one from the unlucky kid that's 80% megabloks.
I had a Lego incompatible clone set in my Lego box for years, although it was mostly connected together in a lump so I could easily avoid them. I only recently extracted all of those pieces and tossed 'em.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

xzzy posted:

Look at all these poor kids.

I had 4 60 gallon garbage cans full of Construx. Every one of my relatives knew I loved the poo poo so they bought me sets all the time. I think I had every single set except for a Dinosaur set. They had a parts expansion builder set that had like 300 pieces in it for a deal price, my Uncle bought me 5 of them for a birthday once. I used that stuff to build bases for MOTU, GI Joe and once a properly scaled Metroplex for my Transformers.

I sold all of it to my boss a few years ago because he had 4 kids and he swore they'd love it. Found out recently they traded all of it for a loving Wii U.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

240 gallons?!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Captain Foo posted:

240 gallons?!

Yes. The bigass blue Rubbermaid bins. My brother had a bunch but when he decided he liked Playmobil better I got his bin. My buddies and I once built a huge sewer play set for our TMNT guys. Construx was the best supplemental toy ever.
Somewhere my mother has pictures of the TARDIS Police Box and control column I built as well as a Dalek my little sister could roll around in.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I need to see pictures to fully comprehend the scale we're talking here to be honest.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rhyno posted:

Somewhere my mother has pictures of the TARDIS Police Box and control column I built as well as a Dalek my little sister could roll around in.

I'm going to need to see those pictures - that sounds absolutely insane and brilliant.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

That bridge is on display at Myer in Pitt Street Mall, Sydney.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
ITT Lego nerds learn the wonders of what happens when you get more than a paltry amount of Construx and start buying that poo poo up on ebay like it's crack.

My favourite thing was building armour and weapons I could wear. We're talking helmets and bad rear end laser gauntlets covered in mini missiles, here. Iron man didn't have poo poo on my gear.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lofty132 posted:

I need to see pictures to fully comprehend the scale we're talking here to be honest.

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm going to need to see those pictures - that sounds absolutely insane and brilliant.

I have one of the Dalek that I posted in a DW thread like a year ago but I can't find it in my images folder. The others are still somewhere in a photo album at my mother's.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Safety first!

Industrial 02 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Captain Foo posted:

Safety first!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Is it possible to see the reverse?

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

It'll have to be tonight. I'm curious how Foo did his. For mine it's a 1x1 brick with studs on two sides, on top of a 1x1 with studs on four sides, then black faucets coming out of that.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Is it the first of August yet? Feel like a kid waiting for Christmas, waiting on the BTTF set.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fuckin' a :3:

PeePot posted:

It'll have to be tonight. I'm curious how Foo did his. For mine it's a 1x1 brick with studs on two sides, on top of a 1x1 with studs on four sides, then black faucets coming out of that.

sounds right, when I get home tonight I will post some reverse/exploded views

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Could you post another view for this one too? I built all of the visible parts, but had trouble sticking them all together.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PeePot posted:

Could you post another view for this one too? I built all of the visible parts, but had trouble sticking them all together.

Sure thing. Need a specific view?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I got a couple emails about the S10 full case, but when I went back to that Fred Meyer, they were gone. Sorry dude/ttes.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Captain Foo posted:

Sure thing. Need a specific view?

Just curious what the back legs and rockets connect to.

There was a part I'm surprised I didn't have, but I just checked BrickLink and they practically don't exist. The 2x1 slope on the back legs, and the Industrial-02 head, is new and only in 4 sets. I'm also surprised I didn't have any black droid arms with vertical grip, out of the dozens of droid arms I have.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Here's an interesting review of the BttF set. At the end he builds the original Cuusoo model and shows it side-by-side with the official Lego one. The Lego set is better than I thought, especially from different angles.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=84806&st=0

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

smackfu posted:

Here's an interesting review of the BttF set. At the end he builds the original Cuusoo model and shows it side-by-side with the official Lego one. The Lego set is better than I thought, especially from different angles.

Ok, I'm impressed. I was originally only going to buy this set for investment reasons, but after seeing how it compares, I actually want one to build and I think over time it'll be an excellent set that's fondly remembered.

I'm just hoping they do a UCS version in the future.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

smackfu posted:

Yeah, I was disappointed when I saw the official Lego version revealed, but seeing them side by side I've no idea what I was thinking.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
The BTTF set was a lot of fun to build. Nothing complex or difficult, some neat little designs for things like the gullwing doors. The only problem is it's not easy to fit the Doc inside and shut the door because his hair hits the doorframe before it's fully closed. You can't fit Marty and the Doc inside at the same time because the interior is only 4 studs wide, so their arms hit one another.

It won't be hard to convert the bonnet into the original Cuusoo design either, it's a very simple understructure.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I have money burning a hole in my pocket and I'm looking to add to my Lego collection. Can anyone advise me on the train sets specifically?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Lofty132 posted:

I have money burning a hole in my pocket and I'm looking to add to my Lego collection. Can anyone advise me on the train sets specifically?

Do you want a fully functional train? Then your only options are the $180 7939 Cargo Train which has an engine, a flatbed car, a tanker car, and a vehicle car, or the $130 7938 Passenger Train, with two engines/passenger cars and a passenger car. Both come with a motorized train base, a remote, and tracks.

There's a western coal-fired train set with 79111 Constitution Train Chase, with the engine, coal tender, minigun car, and freight car. It is not motorized.
9467 Ghost Train is a goofy set with a huge engine and 3 strange ghost cars. It is unmotorized and comes with no track.
Finally, the $130 10233 Horizon Express is the enthusiast's train. It comes with no track or motor, but it can be converted (as can the other two unmotorized trains). It's got a well-designed TVG-like engine, a passenger car, and a dining car.

You can also buy accessories like more tracks, a level crossing, a train station, and train motors & remotes.

That's what Lego is selling right now; other recent but discontinued sets include a Maersk cargo train and a Toy Story western-style train.
Go back even further and you've got the old style 9v with powered tracks and monorails (which are quite expensive to get a hold of these days).

Older train sets jump in value; they're never terribly popular or produced in high quantities, so they tend towards rare.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Picked up the BTTF set at the store for my wife while finally grabbing Arkham Breakout. It looks pretty cool! They didn't even have it on the shelf, the guy said they just got a few and were down to the last one when I asked about it.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I'm going to need more taps.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Click for big:

PeePot posted:

PeePot posted:

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pyroclastic posted:

Do you want a fully functional train? Then your only options are the $180 7939 Cargo Train which has an engine, a flatbed car, a tanker car, and a vehicle car, or the $130 7938 Passenger Train, with two engines/passenger cars and a passenger car. Both come with a motorized train base, a remote, and tracks.

There's a western coal-fired train set with 79111 Constitution Train Chase, with the engine, coal tender, minigun car, and freight car. It is not motorized.
9467 Ghost Train is a goofy set with a huge engine and 3 strange ghost cars. It is unmotorized and comes with no track.
Finally, the $130 10233 Horizon Express is the enthusiast's train. It comes with no track or motor, but it can be converted (as can the other two unmotorized trains). It's got a well-designed TVG-like engine, a passenger car, and a dining car.

You can also buy accessories like more tracks, a level crossing, a train station, and train motors & remotes.

That's what Lego is selling right now; other recent but discontinued sets include a Maersk cargo train and a Toy Story western-style train.
Go back even further and you've got the old style 9v with powered tracks and monorails (which are quite expensive to get a hold of these days).

Older train sets jump in value; they're never terribly popular or produced in high quantities, so they tend towards rare.

Thanks for the detailed reply! I was quite set on a motorised set but the Horizon Express looks great. I was getting back into Lego when the Maersk Train was being released and the Emerald Night was still being produced, I wish I had bought them! (I bought the X Wing and Millenium Falcon instead).

How easy is it to convert the sets? I've been mainly looking at Amazon, regarding discontinued sets is it better to eBay?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Lofty132 posted:

Thanks for the detailed reply! I was quite set on a motorised set but the Horizon Express looks great. I was getting back into Lego when the Maersk Train was being released and the Emerald Night was still being produced, I wish I had bought them! (I bought the X Wing and Millenium Falcon instead).

How easy is it to convert the sets? I've been mainly looking at Amazon, regarding discontinued sets is it better to eBay?

Oh yeah, forgot about the Emerald Night. I regret not getting that one, too.

The sets are all pretty easy to convert to motorized versions; I think they all have instructions in the book on how to do it. I know the Horizon Express and Maersk do.
The motor functions are relatively cheap (I think the parts will run about $40 for the motor, remote, and sensor; the battery boxes are either cheap ($13 for AA) or crazy expensive ($50 rechargeable lithium plus $25 for the loving AC adapter)), too. Everything but the motor can be used for non-train stuff.

Amazon used to be really bad for pricing, since bots would really jack up the price if they didn't find other items. It looks like it's gotten a lot better, at least after I spot-checked the Emerald Night and Maersk trains. Its third-party pricing is very similar to pricing on Bricklink and eBay.
A lot of the cheaper entries on the sites are people who split up the sets into locomotive/tender and passenger/cargo cars, so people can add cars without buying multiple locomotives (or people trying to offset the cost of buying multiple sets for cars and selling off the locomotives). Kind of annoying to have to dig around to find the full sets.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I feel a lot better about getting the DeLorean after that review. It's a friend's birthday gift and I didn't want to give them a substandard model.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That reminds me, I bought a bag of bits recently that seems like it's most of a Santa Fe train car. Even comes with a couple of sticker sheets.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pyroclastic posted:

Oh yeah, forgot about the Emerald Night. I regret not getting that one, too.

The sets are all pretty easy to convert to motorized versions; I think they all have instructions in the book on how to do it. I know the Horizon Express and Maersk do.
The motor functions are relatively cheap (I think the parts will run about $40 for the motor, remote, and sensor; the battery boxes are either cheap ($13 for AA) or crazy expensive ($50 rechargeable lithium plus $25 for the loving AC adapter)), too. Everything but the motor can be used for non-train stuff.

Amazon used to be really bad for pricing, since bots would really jack up the price if they didn't find other items. It looks like it's gotten a lot better, at least after I spot-checked the Emerald Night and Maersk trains. Its third-party pricing is very similar to pricing on Bricklink and eBay.
A lot of the cheaper entries on the sites are people who split up the sets into locomotive/tender and passenger/cargo cars, so people can add cars without buying multiple locomotives (or people trying to offset the cost of buying multiple sets for cars and selling off the locomotives). Kind of annoying to have to dig around to find the full sets.

Again, thanks for the help! I think I'll do some serious research before deciding what I want to do, including looking at people's train MOC's. The dream would be a sprawling set with multiple trains running on it, I'm even considering firing up LDD and attempting to build replicas of the trains I work with (Northern Rail Livery class 156, 153 and 142 for those interested).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tag/3956966757.html

Where the heck do people manage to get 7000 of the exact same brick? Does lego occasionally unload unsold stock, or do people hoard this stuff from many smaller purchases?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

xzzy posted:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tag/3956966757.html

Where the heck do people manage to get 7000 of the exact same brick? Does lego occasionally unload unsold stock, or do people hoard this stuff from many smaller purchases?

It just says white brick, not that its 6x6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I found 10 random series three bags for £1 each in B&M Bargains today (UK) as well as a small Ninjago set for £3.99.

Got 2 race drivers, one samurai, one tennis player, one alien, one Indian, one baseball player and three pilots. Not a bad haul for a random discovery.