Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's because Starbucks uses a very similar one button system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

beanbrew posted:

I've been roasting with a heat gun for a couple weeks now and I still feel like I'm having a lot of trouble hearing any cracks. At least, not anything as distinct as when I use an air popper. Does anyone have any advice on that? I've been able to get decent roasts just by watching the beans carefully, but it's bugging me.

My cracks don't happen until the last two minutes or so of my process. How far away are you holding the gun from the beans?

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart

Google Butt posted:

My cracks don't happen until the last two minutes or so of my process. How far away are you holding the gun from the beans?

About 1.5 to 2 inches. I find I can't stir very well if I hold it any closer.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

beanbrew posted:

About 1.5 to 2 inches. I find I can't stir very well if I hold it any closer.

I hold it 1" away and 2" post first crack. I'd suggest changing a variable, like power source, bowl size, amount of beans or stirring technique.

Unrelated: what time is your guy's coffee cutoff time?

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
Tried a couple inverted Aeropresses today and I'm a convert. Relatedly, now I can't sleep after having two cups of coffee at 11 pm. I might be stupid.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
Got my Silvia today, loving it! Along with my Smart Grinder it makes a drat good budget combo.

Got it pulling decent shots that are very drinkable, however it only came with a 7 gram basket so just been doing singles.

Going to PID with an Arduino with pre-infusion etc. Seems like all the rage these days.

pazrs fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 25, 2013

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

beanbrew posted:

Tried a couple inverted Aeropresses today and I'm a convert. Relatedly, now I can't sleep after having two cups of coffee at 11 pm. I might be stupid.

Eh, you get used to it. After doing that enough you can barely feel the effects of caffeine, only caffeine withdrawal :saddowns:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

pazrs posted:

Got my Silvia today, loving it! Along with my Smart Grinder it makes a drat good budget combo.

Got it pulling decent shots that are very drinkable, however it only came with a 7 gram basket so just been doing singles.

Going to PID with an Arduino with pre-infusion etc. Seems like all the rage these days.

I'm hoping to do the same combo sometime next year. I got the smart grinder a little bit ago and I've been really happy with the grind for espresso. I'm getting by with an old Gaggia classic that I got about 5 years ago. It's decent, but I long for something better.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

beanbrew posted:

I'm the last person on Earth that should be drinking coffee. I never got around to having my customary after-lunch mug of Americano (using inverted aeropress double shot) and ended up so tired later I went to bed at 8:00 PM. That was after biting my kids heads off after dinner for pestering me about computer stuff and reaming a student's rear end out via email.

Getting old is getting old...

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
Is the whole steep + draw time for a CCD supposed to take as long as it would for a pourover with the same grind, or should it take longer? It seems like steeping is a slower acting process, which makes me think it would take longer.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

pazrs posted:

What plans are you going to follow, or are you going to wing it? I've been thinking about doing something like this for a while, or just saying screw it and buying one of the PID kits.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

that Vai sound posted:

Is the whole steep + draw time for a CCD supposed to take as long as it would for a pourover with the same grind, or should it take longer? It seems like steeping is a slower acting process, which makes me think it would take longer.

3 minutes steep, 2 minutes draw time for me makes a spectacular cup.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

that Vai sound posted:

It depends. With a regular pourover the fineness of the grind controls the steep time so you have to balance making it too fine and overextracting with a long steep or making it too coarse and underextracting with a short steep.

With the CCD the steep time depends far less on the grind (almost not at all) so you can adjust the grind and the steep time almost independently. A coarser grind should require a longer steep time and a finer grind should require a shorter steep time. With a finer grind the draw time starts to become significant also so you need to take that into account. You have to experiment with both the grind and the time to figure out what you like.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

porktree posted:

What plans are you going to follow, or are you going to wing it? I've been thinking about doing something like this for a while, or just saying screw it and buying one of the PID kits.

Just going to wing it. For me that's half the fun.

Still debating whether to use an RTD or a metal cased LM35.

robotox
Nov 8, 2008

Mechanized
Organism
Designed
Only for
Killing
I'm in the midst of reading through the nearly 100 pages of the thread, but can someone give me some recommendations for a mid-range ($150-250 or so) grinder? I'm mostly looking for it to grind for my french press and pour over, but also the auto-drip I have at work (Bonavita). Obviously, cheaper is better, but I'd rather not compromise to a super lovely one.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

robotox posted:

I'm in the midst of reading through the nearly 100 pages of the thread, but can someone give me some recommendations for a mid-range ($150-250 or so) grinder? I'm mostly looking for it to grind for my french press and pour over, but also the auto-drip I have at work (Bonavita). Obviously, cheaper is better, but I'd rather not compromise to a super lovely one.

Beginning of the thread has a link to a machine I just bought. The Bartaza encore. 129 on amazon

robotox
Nov 8, 2008

Mechanized
Organism
Designed
Only for
Killing

MasterControl posted:

Beginning of the thread has a link to a machine I just bought. The Bartaza encore. 129 on amazon

Thanks. I looked at the mills linked in the OP, but I've heard some kind of mixed things about the Baratzas and want something a little higher end than the Infinity. I should have specified that in my previous post.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

robotox posted:

Thanks. I looked at the mills linked in the OP, but I've heard some kind of mixed things about the Baratzas and want something a little higher end than the Infinity. I should have specified that in my previous post.

The gaggia mdf and Baratza virtuoso are in your price range. I don't have any experience with them, though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

robotox posted:

What exactly did you hear about Baratzas? I have an Encore and have no complaints.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I love my Baratza Encore

robotox
Nov 8, 2008

Mechanized
Organism
Designed
Only for
Killing

withak posted:

What exactly did you hear about Baratzas? I have an Encore and have no complaints.

Mu Zeta posted:

I love my Baratza Encore

I heard that they're really messy, to which I pointed out that dried coffee isn't hard to clean up and the person so it was really bad. I also heard that the burrs wear out surprisingly quickly given that they're, you know, conical burrs that should inherently have a long function cycle. I think I may have heard that, despite being advertised as having conical burrs, they actually had flat ones, though that may be me thinking about a different brand.

The person I heard it from could be full of poo poo, I suppose, but they've generally been reputable in the past. Regardless, that's why I was kind of asking in the thread, just in case it was bull poo poo.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

robotox posted:

I heard that they're really messy, to which I pointed out that dried coffee isn't hard to clean up and the person so it was really bad. I also heard that the burrs wear out surprisingly quickly given that they're, you know, conical burrs that should inherently have a long function cycle. I think I may have heard that, despite being advertised as having conical burrs, they actually had flat ones, though that may be me thinking about a different brand.

The person I heard it from could be full of poo poo, I suppose, but they've generally been reputable in the past. Regardless, that's why I was kind of asking in the thread, just in case it was bull poo poo.

Well, I can't speak for the Encore as I have a Vario, but none of those things are true in my experience. That being said, the Vario is a different animal from the others in terms of burrs.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

robotox posted:

I can recommend the Breville Smart grinder, however I'm in Australia and we were a little more limited for choice.

Breville have great support and sent me a free shim kit when I wanted to get a finer grind for my Rancilio Silvia.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

robotox posted:

I have a Maestro Plus. It is a bit messy, however, it is only terribly messy if you forget to put the little rubber gasket between the hoppers and the burrs.
The burrs are conical and they seem to be wearing fine with daily use for almost 2 years.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

robotox posted:

I've used a Vario, a Virtuoso & a Virtuoso Preciso at this point, and that hasn't been true of any of the three in my experience.
I've had the Vario & VP for 2ish years now I think, Virtuoso's not mine but a friend's.

Oh, I should add that at least mine were factory refurbs as well, arrived like new.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 28, 2013

robotox
Nov 8, 2008

Mechanized
Organism
Designed
Only for
Killing
Awesome. Thanks for your help everyone. I'll definitely be poking around on Amazon Warehouse deals for some of the Baratza models.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I'm about to order some green beans from Sweet Maria's and I'm wanting to try another brewer. I'm trying to decide between either the aeropress or the clever coffee dripper. I use a press pot at home most of the time, but I'm just wanting to try something different.

If I were to buy one of the other is there any reason to go with one over the other? I imagine both make a good cup.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Korwen posted:

I'm about to order some green beans from Sweet Maria's and I'm wanting to try another brewer. I'm trying to decide between either the aeropress or the clever coffee dripper. I use a press pot at home most of the time, but I'm just wanting to try something different.

If I were to buy one of the other is there any reason to go with one over the other? I imagine both make a good cup.

They're both good. It's probably easier to produce a good cup with the CCD, though. If you get the CCD be sure to order a few boxes of the filtropa filters SM's sells, they're the best.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I think the Aeropress is fun and tickles the spergy part of my brain, while making a smooth, concentrated, and often bright cup that's a bit on the small side.

The Clever makes a decent cup reliably everyday and is much easier to do at my desk at work every morning. You see, the problem is that I am grumpy and lack fine motor skills before coffee, and the Aeropress wants me to DO THESE THINGS before giving me said coffee.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Mandalay posted:

I think the Aeropress is fun and tickles the spergy part of my brain, while making a smooth, concentrated, and often bright cup that's a bit on the small side.

The Clever makes a decent cup reliably everyday and is much easier to do at my desk at work every morning. You see, the problem is that I am grumpy and lack fine motor skills before coffee, and the Aeropress wants me to DO THESE THINGS before giving me said coffee.

I had an adventure with my aeropress this afternoon - making a cup inverted. Poured in the grounds, added the water, waited a bit, stirred it a little, put the pre-moistened filter on and inverted it onto - - - -

OH poo poo!!! the COUNTER!!!

I had neglected to set up a cup or mug and didn't notice. I panicked and tried to invert it back, dislodging the plunger a bit and spilling some of the not-quite boiling (thank goodness) coffee on my hand and all over the counter. But that's only happened once now...

As to which to get, I have a pour-over setup (high tech melitta) and the aeropress and I use the aeropress more. But then I just got it so the newness is definitely a factor. Makes good coffee, is kind of fun. Not sure you'll get as much "fiddling around with coffee stuff" action with the CCD.

EDIT: Must point out before someone asks that "high tech melitta" is a joke.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving
The aeropress is p. cool, not gonna lie.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I've got both and while I used the aeropress more when it was new and for the two times I've traveled, the CCD is my everyday cup because at 430 in the morning the last thing I want to do is think.

I took the aeropress out last week in the afternoon for a cup and was following some non-inverted directions since I forgot how to do it. Well, that didn't work so well because I took common sense out of the equation and watched as the coffee overflowed from my mug because I had added too much water.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

The aeropress is more "fun"and the ccd is more utilitarian, I guess. Both are capable of producing good cups.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

nwin posted:

I've got both - took common sense out of the equation and watched as the coffee overflowed from my mug because I had added too much water.

Wait, do you pour some through, then press? Or do you have a big aeropress? Or little mugs?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
^^^ Back when I used Aeropress I would microwave a mug full of water until it was the right temperature, then pour some of it into the press, then press it back into the mug with the rest of the hot water to make a faux-Americano. You can't overflow it that way like you can if you pour some hot water into the press and some more into the mug before pressing.

Anyway, get the CCD first because you will use it most. Then get the Aeropress next time you get an itch for some new coffee-related paraphernalia.

withak fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 29, 2013

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
I've been roasting for a bit now, mainly for the novelty of it but I've gotten some great results in the Ethiopians on par with some of the roasts I buy that can cost ~2x as much. I usually use it up in the first few days, but I've noticed that as it gets past there a taste/smell of the acrid roasting scent comes through in the coffee. First few days the fruity notes dominate but after that it's really tainted by that same pungent burning-sweet stench during the roasting process. I usually let it breathe for about 12 hours before I put it in a closed container, is that not long enough? Is there something I'm probably doing wrong or any sort of rinsing or cleaning method that can be employed?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Admin Understudy posted:

I've been roasting for a bit now, mainly for the novelty of it but I've gotten some great results in the Ethiopians on par with some of the roasts I buy that can cost ~2x as much. I usually use it up in the first few days, but I've noticed that as it gets past there a taste/smell of the acrid roasting scent comes through in the coffee. First few days the fruity notes dominate but after that it's really tainted by that same pungent burning-sweet stench during the roasting process. I usually let it breathe for about 12 hours before I put it in a closed container, is that not long enough? Is there something I'm probably doing wrong or any sort of rinsing or cleaning method that can be employed?

I think the type of been kind of dictates how the flavor develops over time, each bean has its own sweet spot.

What kind of container are you storing your beans in? I suggest the $5 tin from SM's, it's got a degassing valve on the bottom and a nice seal on the lid, keeps my beans good for a week at least.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Admin Understudy posted:

I usually let it breathe for about 12 hours before I put it in a closed container, is that not long enough?

Am I misreading this, or are you really leaving your freshly roasted coffee uncovered for twelve hours? Put it in a valve bag or some other container with an automatic degassing valve as soon as it is cool enough and it will last a lot longer. "Letting coffee breathe" is "making coffee stale."

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Was thinking of buying some beans from Grumpy in NYC. Has anyone ever tried it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic

Google Butt posted:

I think the type of been kind of dictates how the flavor develops over time, each bean has its own sweet spot.

What kind of container are you storing your beans in? I suggest the $5 tin from SM's, it's got a degassing valve on the bottom and a nice seal on the lid, keeps my beans good for a week at least.
Valve bags.

Loucks posted:

Am I misreading this, or are you really leaving your freshly roasted coffee uncovered for twelve hours? Put it in a valve bag or some other container with an automatic degassing valve as soon as it is cool enough and it will last a lot longer. "Letting coffee breathe" is "making coffee stale."

I've read a couple guides that tell me "uncovered" for up to 24 hours. I'm not familiar with the chemical reactions that take place after roasting, I just assumed it needed oxygen. Well more oxygen than a near empty bag contained. I will definitely try sealing it up right when it's cool next time and see if I've just been killing my coffee.