Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Do any of the theaters around here get English documentaries? How would I even look for something like that? The Act of Killing looks loving amazing and I'd really like to see it if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Atlas Hugged posted:

Do any of the theaters around here get English documentaries? How would I even look for something like that? The Act of Killing looks loving amazing and I'd really like to see it if possible.
I'd suggest the theater in Huashan Park maybe.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Yeah, keep an eye out on Spot Taipei and Spot Huashan, they're probably your best bets outside of film festivals.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

So a quick look around indicates that the Chinese title for The Act of Killing is 殺人一舉, and that they screened it at Urban Nomad a couple of months ago. No idea if it's getting any more screenings, and Spot are crap at "Coming Soon" type stuff. If someone's got a PTT account that can post, maybe asking on the artfilms (IIRC) board might be an idea.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So I moved to Taipei! Unfortunately, the job I thought was a sure thing fell through, and I'm not getting any replies from places I send my resume to on tealit. My ARC expires on the 30th, so it looks like I'm going to need to make a visa run. How exactly does that work? You just fly out and back and they give you a visa at customs, or is there paperwork to fill out first? I've got a US passport.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Should be as easy as leaving and coming back.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Moon Slayer posted:

So I moved to Taipei! Unfortunately, the job I thought was a sure thing fell through, and I'm not getting any replies from places I send my resume to on tealit. My ARC expires on the 30th, so it looks like I'm going to need to make a visa run. How exactly does that work? You just fly out and back and they give you a visa at customs, or is there paperwork to fill out first? I've got a US passport.

If you want to get a job when you come back, you need to apply for a 60 day visitor visa at the TECO office in wherever you visa run to (usually Hong Kong or Bangkok, as those tickets are the cheapest)

I'm pretty sure you can't turn the landing visa into a working visa still.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Spanish Matlock posted:

If you want to get a job when you come back, you need to apply for a 60 day visitor visa at the TECO office in wherever you visa run to (usually Hong Kong or Bangkok, as those tickets are the cheapest)

I'm pretty sure you can't turn the landing visa into a working visa still.

You can turn landing into resident, they enabled that in late 2010 or so. You still pay as much as applying for a visitor's visa since technically they change your visa from landing into visitor into resident.

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010
Me and my gf are in Taipei for the next couple of days on our vacation. Working next year in Taiwan is a possibility so I'd love to meet up with anyone over there and have a few drinks and a chat about the place, the people etc. If anyone fancies a few beers and giving us a few pointers re: fun stuff to do in town while we're here that would be awesome. I have pm or drop a note here and I'll get back.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
This weekend is bad for me, but after next I'm good until half-way through the month. I'm always down for a beer with a goon.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
So just a random question I was curious about..do any of you guys do SAT/AP prep in Taipei? Some of my friends make stupid money doing this in Beijing and I was wondering what the market was like in Taiwan.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Arakan posted:

So just a random question I was curious about..do any of you guys do SAT/AP prep in Taipei? Some of my friends make stupid money doing this in Beijing and I was wondering what the market was like in Taiwan.

I've never heard of anyone teaching that here. Students here are generally focused solely on what is called the GEPT, and to a lesser extent TOEIC. As well as whatever other tests they need to pass to get into schools here in Taiwan.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Arakan posted:

I knew a lot of Taiwanese kids at my university, so I'd venture a guess there must be a market somewhere. They get crazy money for that in the mainland cause anyone who considers sending their kids overseas for university is already rich as hell, and I'm pretty sure it's roughly the same in Taiwan. It might not be as big as in the mainland, but if you look you might find it. It might be better to just put up ads somewhere and see what bites.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

Arakan posted:

I have helped five students prepare for the SAT. I have done GEPT, IELTS, TOEFL, TOEIC, and even GED privates as well. The pay was slightly higher than normal private tutor sessions but nothing substantial. Like $750 instead of $600 or $650. If I was doing this totally freelance maybe I could get away with charging more, but these students were all assigned to me while I worked for a couple private tutoring companies.

I am in Taichung, by the way. The market is probably better in Taipei.

I can't offer you any advice on finding students, though. I can only tell you that they are out there. Rich kids, one and all.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Any thoughts on the rabies outbreak? My girlfriend is freaking out and thinks I'm basically a monster for not rushing my indoor cat to the vet for a vaccine (though there are estimated to only be 100,000 on the island compared to the 1mil+ animal population). I guess a mouse or something could get infected and find its way into my apartment (though to my knowledge I've never had a mouse in here before), but it seems I'm actually more at risk than my cat because of the wild dog population that roams around my town.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I find the whole thing kinda funny, in January a bat somehow got into my completely screened-in and sealed-off apartment, I posted about it on Facebook and a bunch of people (back in the US) freaked me out about needing to get rabies shots if I didn't know how long the bat had been in my house, etc. I knew Taiwan was rabies-free but still got really paranoid about it, enough to the point where I was calling up some of the top scientists/doctors for Taiwan's CDC (whose contact details I found online) randomly asking them if there was any risk. The doctors were really helpful towards me at first, asking me what university I was representing, thinking I was doing research! I had a few good laughs about that, but in the end I was assured that there was no risk, they assured me Taiwan hasn't had rabies for a looooong time.

...Then a few months later, boom, rabies outbreak. That being said, I have a dog which I take out on long walks twice a day, she's vaccinated for everything but rabies, and I'm not rushing to get a vaccine. I think it would definitely be a good idea, sure, but I'll wait until her next check-up or until things cool down. As you said, there's going to be something of a shortage anyway, made worse by people freaking out and rushing to get them vaccinated now. Unless you live in a high-risk area, I don't think it's a big deal. They've only confirmed cases in the mountains of Nantou and Taitung, right? And only in ferret-badgers thus far, as well.

The other funny thing is my vet in Tainan never even offered the vaccine against rabies. When I moved up here and went for her yearly booster, my vet was really pushing the rabies vaccine on me because if I wanted to go back to America and take my dog, I'd need it. I told her I planned to stay in Taiwan and so I didn't need to get it, looks like I wasted that opportunity!

edit: and yeah, a lot of wild dogs around here, some are quite vicious as well. At night I carry a big rear end flashlight with me that I typically use to scare them off when I'm walking my dog, they hadn't been around for a few months and suddenly reappeared on Sunday night, I got them to run away while they were still quite far away, but yeah with the rabies thing in the back of my mind I definitely did feel a bit more scared than I ever had before.

POCKET CHOMP fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 30, 2013

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Well, it's something to talk about and sensationalize, so...

Atlas Hugged: you up to date on shots? Then there'd no reason to go rush for a vaccine cause you're done already.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Since I never intended to take Sir Pounce to the US, I never got the rabies vaccine.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Atlas Hugged posted:

Since I never intended to take Sir Pounce to the US, I never got the rabies vaccine.
Forgot you're outside Taipei; it's required here to my knowledge and they give you a little tag each time.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

With this rabies thing going on, I just can't wait for some rich rear end in a top hat's kid to get bit so the government finally starts giving a poo poo about all the stray dogs.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

With this rabies thing going on, I just can't wait for some rich rear end in a top hat's kid to get bit so the government finally starts giving a poo poo about all the stray dogs.
Read: rounding up and killing a bunch of them then saying mission accomplished

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

You forgot "inviting the media to film it".

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Nope! Right not they've got teams of people rounding up stray populations and using the very limited rabies vaccines to immunize them.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

And a full-scale "a dog is for life" campaign to educate people in the importance of not kicking your dog out on the street because it's insufficiently 可愛.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
They should mandate all new dogs sold have an RFID chip in them and fine any vet who treats a dog without one or any shop that sells one without a chip. Then, whenever a dog is caught on the street, scan the chip and fine the last registered owner of the dog a substantial "catching and housing" fee.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I couldn't even find a place that does RFID chipping. Not that I have a big risk of my dog getting away from me but, you never know. I guess I never looked into it much. Is it common? My vet never mentioned it as an option and they're almost always looking for any chance to upsell stuff.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Most of the vets I've talked to will do it. The technology is already in place here.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

They should mandate all new dogs sold have an RFID chip in them and fine any vet who treats a dog without one or any shop that sells one without a chip. Then, whenever a dog is caught on the street, scan the chip and fine the last registered owner of the dog a substantial "catching and housing" fee.

Worst part about this is that the dogs are probably worse off with their owners than on the streets. If you put a fee on dogs for catching them then either owners are just going to kill them when they get bored with them, or lock them in a barely adequate cage for the rest of their life and never do anything but the absolute bare minimum to keep the dog alive.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

HappyHelmet posted:

Worst part about this is that the dogs are probably worse off with their owners than on the streets. If you put a fee on dogs for catching them then either owners are just going to kill them when they get bored with them, or lock them in a barely adequate cage for the rest of their life and never do anything but the absolute bare minimum to keep the dog alive.

This was actually something I was afraid would happen in response. That, or surgery on the dogs to try and disable the chips.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

This was actually something I was afraid would happen in response. That, or surgery on the dogs to try and disable the chips.

The only way to really change things would be a concerted effort by the media and the government to educate people on proper pet ownership.

However, that won't happen because the politicians don't want to spend any money that could be used to line their wallets, or pay off gangsters for god knows what. And the media is too busy dealing with the "real" news. Like reporting on an apparently abandoned house and showing the same two 3 second clips of broken glass on the floor/a rusty washing machine 50 times. And of course, even if the media did start reporting on proper animal care it wouldn't last more than a few days because the news here has a bad case of ADD.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

HappyHelmet posted:

The only way to really change things would be a concerted effort by the media and the government to educate people on proper pet ownership.

I thought about this, and I realized they just need to start showing the Price is Right reruns on TV. Maybe after 20 years of Bob Barker saying "spay and neuter your pets" things will be okay.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Horatius Bonar posted:

I thought about this, and I realized they just need to start showing the Price is Right reruns on TV. Maybe after 20 years of Bob Barker saying "spay and neuter your pets" things will be okay.

Yeah, media would be the best way to start a change in culture here. It's hard to say though because attitudes towards pets here are so ingrained into the culture. I've noticed girls here often get small dogs to act as sort of surrogate babies. They do treat them very well, but they don't put much thought into where the dog comes from so they go to pet stores loaded with genetic disaster puppy mill dogs. Then of course as soon as they have an actual baby they don't need the dog anymore so they pass it off on their boyfriends... who play nice with the dog when the girlfriend/wife is around, but as soon as she leaves have no qualms about abusing (physically/verbally) said dogs.

It's a pretty lovely situation all around.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
What time is it thread? Poker time. Again. And I'm calling out Moon Slayer, who just moved to Taipei. Better come lose (win?) money with people you barely know from the Internet!

Poker on Wednesday August 7 @ 8:00pm
Zhongshan N Rd. Section 2, Alley 115 No. 15
中山北路二段115巷15號

Name of the place is 川娃子

If you Google Maps the address it in Chinese it will show the proper place, more or less. There's a big red and white sign with 川娃子 on it out front. If you're going north on Zhongshan Rd, take a right at the tiny alley in front of Mr. Onion and it's just a bit down that alley. Prepare to buy-in for at least 100NT. Beer and food are available for non-exorbitant prices. url, myself, some other goons and non-goons will be there, my number is 0920283112. We usually play until 11 or a little later.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I have literally never played a game of poker in my life but I'll try to make it!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Don't worry, as long as URL shows up at least you won't be the worst betting decision maker present.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

Don't worry, as long as URL shows up at least you won't be the worst betting decision maker present.

:colbert:

entirely fair point though

potatoofdoom
Jan 22, 2013

url posted:

:colbert:

entirely fair point though

4th buy in??? gently caress it! All in!

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

potatoofdoom posted:

4th buy in??? gently caress it! All in!

I liked how url asked the dealer to queue up another stack of $100 since he knew he was going to lose all the money he was about to push all-in.

Mostly I like it because that money went to me.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

What's the big computer parts shopping place in Taipei? My tax rebate just came in so it's time to blow some cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I forget the Chinese, but you want The Digital Plaza at Zhongxiao Xinsheng station. There are a bunch of little shops in an alley near the station and then a massive shopping center a block or so behind it.