Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Kale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

dino. posted:

It's going to be very delicious, actually. Slow ferment = more flavour.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Congrats on your sourdough pizza crust! It'll be awesome.

PIZZA REPORT: I ate it yesterday and I didn't die and I am eating another one from the last of the dough and I'm not dead as far as I know, so success! I did notice something though. I rolled it out nice and flat, but once I cooked it, it puffed up in a huge way. They went from flat pizza to Chicago-style mounds of pizza. What caused that?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Psychobabble posted:

Collard greens! Remove the center stem and blanch briefly then wrap away.
Ditto with chard, kale, beet greens, etc.

If you have some titanic bordeaux spinach like we do here, that would probably work too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kale I've seen, I'll try it. The chard I've seen here is way too small to wrap anything in, and I don't think they sell the others. At least not with any regularity, who knows what I'd find if I could hit all the street markets in the city.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
You're in Korea, right Big Cheese? Would Perilla leaves work?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

dino. posted:

You're in Korea, right Big Cheese? Would Perilla leaves work?

I am. I actually had dolma at a Kazakh restaurant this weekend that used perilla leaves. They're okay but I don't particularly like the perilla flavor and it throws the whole vibe off. I'm looking for a better alternative.

They do grow grapes here and I've been told the farmers strip leaves off them in fall and throw them away, so I'm also trying to find a grape farmer I could score grape leaves from. But if I can't I can try some alternatives.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2010/04/a-turkish-specialty-harvested-in-empty-lots/38608/

seriously. mallow.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Thanks everyone for the advice on getting scotch and other liquors, there are probably better investments for little junior.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I want to make kale / beet green chips tonight, and none of my go-to recipe blogs have a recipe. I've found a few with the googles but I'd love it if any goons have a favorite recipe to throw in the mix, particularly ones with spiciness or cheesiness or "sour cream and chive" flavors involved. I have nutritive yeast and cashews for vegan cheesy flavors but I'm not a vegan myself so I'm open to pretty much any goon-confirmed deliciousness.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Speaking of eating unusual leaves, Japanese-style tempura with tomato leaves is supposed to be amazing.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Does anyone have a link to the old ice cream thread, I think Happy Hat was the OP, or PF's sorbet thread?

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Turkeybone posted:

In the nicest possible way, we are not mind-readers. What's the recipe, and what sized pan did you use in comparison to what it said? How long did you bake it, what temperature...

Doh! Here's the recipe. It called for 1 hour at 350 in a 9x5 loaf pan. Instead, I did 50 min at 350 in an 8inch cake pan. And the result was dry and crumbly but very good taste.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

tarepanda posted:

Speaking of eating unusual leaves, Japanese-style tempura with tomato leaves is supposed to be amazing.

I thought tomato leaves were toxic?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Scientastic posted:

I thought tomato leaves were toxic?

They are but apparently not supertoxic. They're like, toxic like the oxalates in mustard greens are toxic. Or the theobromine in chocolate is toxic. They're actually really really good chopped up and put into pasta sauce. Adds a very very fresh tomato flavor. Doesn't take very much.

Aleator
Jun 27, 2011

I am nothing but a blade, waiting for the perfect time to end an ancient warrior's pride.
Anyone got a good quick recipe for tartar sauce or some other sauce good with deep-fried cod? I was recently gifted a batch of deep-fried fish and have nothing to eat it with tomorrow.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I'm going on a major fishing trip soon to the gulf of Mexico and I've been looking for a good guide on flash freezing fish fillets but my google-fu is failing me. I got some of the basics down, but everything I come across seems to be the same vauge paragraph copy pasted to a hundred different sites. From what I gather you can either use a dry ice/alcohol solution or liquid nitrogen, but I can't find the specifics of the process for either. Anybody else have any expertise on the subject?

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it
What about big bok choy leaves too? They might work in a pinch

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Drink and Fight posted:

Does anyone have a link to the old ice cream thread, I think Happy Hat was the OP, or PF's sorbet thread?

HappyHat's: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3309292
Resurrected version: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3412762

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Question for yall. I am moving soon and looking at new apartments. A potential one only has an electric stove / stovetop. I've really only used gas. I have pretty decent pots and pans so I'm not as worried about coil hotspots but are they just really that terrible in comparison? My fiancee and I both like to cook and depend on it for economical purposes as well so it's a fairly important detail for us to consider. How do you guys feel about electric?

Safia3
Jul 6, 2013
Question for the chefs : I made Chicken Cordon Bleu for the first time yesterday, and while the chicken came out fine, the sauce was a disaster. The recipe's sauce called for a 1/2 cup white wine, a cup of heavy whipping cream, 1 tsp of chicken bouillon granules and a tablespoon of corn starch..which all gets whisked into the leftover butter in the pan the chicken had been cooked in, and then you simmer for 10 minutes? The sauce tasted REALLY salty to me, like nasty salty, and I started adding a little bit of water to it as it thickened, hoping to weaken the salt taste, but then around the ten minute mark, the whole thing just broke down into what looked like disgusting globules floating in oil. I ended up pouring it down the sink. What did I do wrong? And is there a better/easier recipe for the sauce that someone can recommend? (There's like..hundreds of them on google..and I'm clueless.)

(Oh...And..my very first post here! Yay!)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Safia3 posted:

Question for the chefs : I made Chicken Cordon Bleu for the first time yesterday, and while the chicken came out fine, the sauce was a disaster. The recipe's sauce called for a 1/2 cup white wine, a cup of heavy whipping cream, 1 tsp of chicken bouillon granules and a tablespoon of corn starch..which all gets whisked into the leftover butter in the pan the chicken had been cooked in, and then you simmer for 10 minutes? The sauce tasted REALLY salty to me, like nasty salty, and I started adding a little bit of water to it as it thickened, hoping to weaken the salt taste, but then around the ten minute mark, the whole thing just broke down into what looked like disgusting globules floating in oil. I ended up pouring it down the sink. What did I do wrong? And is there a better/easier recipe for the sauce that someone can recommend? (There's like..hundreds of them on google..and I'm clueless.)

(Oh...And..my very first post here! Yay!)

You didn't use a "cooking wine" did you? Sometimes those are heavily salted so they can sell them without a liquor license.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I think we have a winner, I had no idea where I'd find mallow here but I just saw it at the grocery store for like 60 cents a bag. Going to try it, thanks for the advice.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Breaky posted:

Question for yall. I am moving soon and looking at new apartments. A potential one only has an electric stove / stovetop. I've really only used gas. I have pretty decent pots and pans so I'm not as worried about coil hotspots but are they just really that terrible in comparison? My fiancee and I both like to cook and depend on it for economical purposes as well so it's a fairly important detail for us to consider. How do you guys feel about electric?

Wouldn't matter with cast iron, would be livable with disc bottom, would be terrible with aluminium skinned and light pots (which people usually use for fine heat control).

Grand Fromage posted:

I think we have a winner, I had no idea where I'd find mallow here but I just saw it at the grocery store for like 60 cents a bag. Going to try it, thanks for the advice.

I think I have mini mallow here in Australia. Someone mentioned tomato leaves slightly toxic before, I think mallow is too?
I'll just wait for spring when the grapevine starts growing again personally.
Edit: Or the heap of nasturiums that grow here everywhere in winter, or something else I could plant like pak choy, spinach, silverbeet etc.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 30, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Is it possible to make a good brisket in an oven?

Follow up question: If so, what's a good way to make a jus from the leavings? I've seen people do stuff like roast veggies in the fat, deglaze, run it through a seive, etc.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Breaky posted:

I would love a gas stove more than anything, but I've been cooking most of my adult life on coils or flat-top ceramic stoves. I'd prefer coil to the flat top, but the ceramic stoves are pretty easy to clean, which might be their only redeeming quality. Just like anything else new in the kitchen, it'll take a while to learn which settings you need to use to match or get close to how you're used to cooking with gas. You'll get used to it pretty quickly! But then you'll still miss gas a lot until you move again.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Just got a really nice 3lb slab of beef tenderloin, was thinking of doing a roast. Normally I'd throw it in the crockpot and do a pot roast, but this is a nicer bit of meat so I figured the oven was the way to go. Having trouble finding recipes I like though, any recommendations?

Also, I have no roasting pan. I have a Le creuset casserole dish along with a bigger Pyrex casserole dish, would either of these suffice?

Sweet_Joke_Nectar fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 30, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nooo, don't slow cook tenderloin. Either fab it into steaks or do something like chateuaubriand or beef wellington.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Tenderloin would be best cut into steaks if you have no other ideas.
The slow cooker is for neck, shoulder or legs, roasting is for the arse end of the cow or the rib section.

The lean meat is better used for fast fry cooking and served rare to med rare, or fancy poo poo like FGR said.
If you got tenderloin, think of all the decent NY strip or porterhouse steaks you've have before, that's how you cook it.
No (edit: sane) person serves a porterhouse or NY strip roast or casserole!

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 30, 2013

Safia3
Jul 6, 2013

Breaky posted:

You didn't use a "cooking wine" did you? Sometimes those are heavily salted so they can sell them without a liquor license.

I did, I used Holland House, but I use it all the time for things like the lemon butter sauce for Chicken Franchise and never had a problem with it before. This was...very salty, like...someone had poured a pound of salt into the mix. :/

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Nooo, don't slow cook tenderloin. Either fab it into steaks or do something like chateuaubriand or beef wellington.

Aren't chateaubriand and beef Wellington cooked slowly?

Edit: You probably mean "don't cook it in a slow cooker," I'm dumb.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
No. A beef wellington is lightly cooked and then chilled. Then wrapped in pastry and cooked for enough to cook the pastry, the beef doesn't cook much more because it's chilled before hand.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
I have a "turkey tenderloin" that I'm planning on cooking tonight. It looks like it's just a thick slice of a turkey breast.

I wanted to brine and roast it, but I forgot to this morning. Also, I brined two pork dinners (chops and a tenderloin) in the past two weeks, so I think everyone I feed is sick of it.

I'm thinking of just sautéing it then making a pan sauce with mushrooms, but I'd like to do something a little different flavor-wise. Any thoughts?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Safia3 posted:

I did, I used Holland House, but I use it all the time for things like the lemon butter sauce for Chicken Franchise and never had a problem with it before. This was...very salty, like...someone had poured a pound of salt into the mix. :/

I can only think that it was a combination of the wine, maybe too much boullion and it reduced too far, rendering it too concentrated and salty. If you're trying again I guess I'd taste it as you added things. If you were using salted butter in addition to all of the above etc it could have just gotten too salty from a combination of things being reduced.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Safia3 posted:

Did you brine the chicken before you cooked it?

Breaky is probably right. If you have access to real wine, ditch the cooking wine.

lc3necro
Oct 18, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

PIZZA REPORT: I ate it yesterday and I didn't die and I am eating another one from the last of the dough and I'm not dead as far as I know, so success! I did notice something though. I rolled it out nice and flat, but once I cooked it, it puffed up in a huge way. They went from flat pizza to Chicago-style mounds of pizza. What caused that?

Most pizza joints use something called a docker to put small holes all over the dough, which keeps any massive bubble from forming. Best guess is the extra fermentation by the age of the dough combined with the heat caused your pizza to become bloated. Glad ya didn't take one for the team though

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Is there any way to slice sweet potato/beet/root veggies thinly with just patience and a knife? I don't have a mandolin, but I also don't have my heart set on thin slices.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Jyrraeth posted:

Is there any way to slice sweet potato/beet/root veggies thinly with just patience and a knife? I don't have a mandolin, but I also don't have my heart set on thin slices.

Slice one side off, then place the flat side down, then slice it carefully?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Jyrraeth posted:

Vegetable peeler.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Most recipies for Chiken Tikka Masala call for plain yogurt to coat the chicken, but I didn't see any at the store, and I don't want to coat my chicken with some strawberry abomination. Is sourcream going to be an acceptable substitute?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lc3necro
Oct 18, 2007

Mirconium posted:

Most recipies for Chiken Tikka Masala call for plain yogurt to coat the chicken, but I didn't see any at the store, and I don't want to coat my chicken with some strawberry abomination. Is sourcream going to be an acceptable substitute?

I, personally wouldn't recommend it. Either try another store (maybe one with more of a focus on ethnic foods, or diversity) or also check for plain greek style yogurts. These will have a bit more tang to them and be thicker, but still should work nicely. You may need to thin it slightly with some water for consistency reasons. But yeah, I think sour cream would alter the flavor of the dish too much.