Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
I keep watching NFNS, but only because I'm a masochist. I'm pretty sure the judges are trolling by not eliminating the pie jackass at this point. Brown and Flay seem to have functioning brains, yet they have a blind spot when it comes to the drat pie guy. Just end it already. He's creepy Guy Fieri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I love how contradictory the challenges are. "We want to hear more about the potato flour and old yeast, nevermind that you were only given one minute and the guest talks really slowly!"

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
I was watching uncensored highlights of Hell's Kitchen and who pops up? It turns out Lovely was on season 6 - burning desserts before the restaurant was even open for the night.

Earlier I saw Chef Brian from Bar Rescue on some Food Network show about Beverly Hills chefs, too.

These reality TV people really make the rounds, huh.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

dude789 posted:

I love how contradictory the challenges are. "We want to hear more about the potato flour and old yeast, nevermind that you were only given one minute and the guest talks really slowly!"

Alton Brown was right to point out that the potato flour and five hundred year old yeast should have been center to the hideous puff pieces they were tasked with, but it's tempered by the knowledge that in one of the normal FN shows, about ten seconds would have been devoted to it. As a challenge it was really representative of the worst of FN shows. It's not making a piece about food, about ingredients, about cooking, investigating methods and restaurants or people.

It's make a commercial.

Scott808 posted:

I was watching uncensored highlights of Hell's Kitchen and who pops up? It turns out Lovely was on season 6 - burning desserts before the restaurant was even open for the night.

Earlier I saw Chef Brian from Bar Rescue on some Food Network show about Beverly Hills chefs, too.

I'm sure the winner of The Taste was a winner of an episode of Chef Wanted with Anne Burrell. Who is not a world renowned chef, unless that phrase has been twisted by FN to mean appears on FN.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Scott808 posted:

Yeah like six or seven of the competitors have appeared somewhere else previously. Same happened with last season of Worst Cooks. The producers of all these shows obviously consider it a huge bonus to have people who already have been in front of cameras so they have some known quantities.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Food Network did a fantastic job of spoiling the end of the newest NFNS with a commercial in the middle of the episode which showed the 4 remaining contestants before actually revealing who got eliminated this episode.

I literally cannot comprehend what they saw in Rodney over Nikki. He tries to deep fry a chicken cacciatore pie and fails miserably, and yet Nikki's the one who goes home for "lacking culinary authority."

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

dude789 posted:

Food Network did a fantastic job of spoiling the end of the newest NFNS with a commercial in the middle of the episode which showed the 4 remaining contestants before actually revealing who got eliminated this episode.

I literally cannot comprehend what they saw in Rodney over Nikki. He tries to deep fry a chicken cacciatore pie and fails miserably, and yet Nikki's the one who goes home for "lacking culinary authority."

I try not to get too invested in reality shows, but I can't help but be flabbergasted and astonished that Rodney has survived this far. Even more, I cannot believe that the judges and everyone else seems to like him. Not only is he Fieri-like, but he's like that guy at the party who drinks too much, blares terrible music and pukes all over, thinking that the attention he's getting is people liking him instead of thinking he's obnoxious.

That's a lot of words about a guy on a reality show but goddamn Food Network what are y'all thinking

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Waffles Inc. posted:

That's a lot of words about a guy on a reality show but goddamn Food Network what are y'all thinking

Waffles Inc. posted:

Not only is he Fieri-like,

That's probably it. Guy's their biggest draw, for better or worse, and the idea of two of them running around is probably really attractive to them in theory. I'm honestly pretty surprised Damaris is still there. This season's just a boring mess no matter how you slice it.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

That's probably it. Guy's their biggest draw, for better or worse, and the idea of two of them running around is probably really attractive to them in theory. I'm honestly pretty surprised Damaris is still there. This season's just a boring mess no matter how you slice it.

Damaris has probably shown the most "growth" of all the other contestants aside from Russell. I can actually see her show being successful. With Paula Deen's big meltdown FN needs someone to fill the southern cooking niche, and she seems to actually know her stuff aside from just adding butter and sugar to everything. Her french toast and green bean casserole both looked really good.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Best moment of the last episode was Damaris' going to fistbump Robert and then saying "Just kidding I don't fistbump" and how that immediately endeared her to Alton.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Rodney clearly knows someone at the network or he knows SOMETHING because I don't understand how his horrible food and unintelligible rambling and awful singing makes him "a star". Nikki being eliminated this week was kind of criminal. Horrible show. I'm going to see this season through, but I am done after this. Next Iron Chef might be the only show I watch with any regularity on the network now.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
But, you guys, Rodney is a singing version of Guy! What could possibly be wrong with that?

:suicide:

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Pies, Pasties and Pierogies: one man's crusty American adventure

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Pies, Pasties and Pierogies: one man's crusty American adventure

Thank you for that unfortunate typo and horrifying mental image.

I thought Rodney and Russel were still in it because other people just kept doing worse than them that week, so it justified them sticking around a little bit longer until there were no more excuses, but now Nikki went home before them so I don't know anymore.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Jamesman posted:

Thank you for that unfortunate typo and horrifying mental image.

I thought it could go either way. :colbert: BUT it can work in the gross way, really.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I love how Alton looks like he wants to flip a table every time Rodney does anything, but he can't because he likes getting paychecks as much as the rest of us do. I don't like Rodney, but my husband cannot take Rodney under any circumstances. It's that little tiny fedora on his giant thumb head. My husband hates fedoras more than goons do.

I seriously thought this competition was Nikki's to lose, since she was one of the few competitors that didn't have her head up her rear end, so I was surprised to see her go. I have no idea who the hell is going to win now. A kind and loving god wouldn't allow Rodney to win, right? I've decided my favorite is Damaris, but I don't think she's going to win.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Guy Fieri's up next week so I'm a little afraid. But actually, let's just give it to Rodney. Let's give the pilot to Rodney and let's really enjoy the pie show that's gonna air once on a Saturday night sandwiched between Restaurant Impossible and Chopped. Give Rodney some money that he can blow at Rockmount Ranch Wear and an opportunity to show up for a Thanksgiving special and call it a day.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
The whole process makes no sense to me. They're constantly having to do things they'd never have to do on whatever show they eventually get. Who gives a poo poo if they cook a gourmet meal in the wilderness with 3 ingredients, unless they're gonna be on Dinner Impossible every week?

Camera presence and food knowledge are skills that can be honed, but people are eliminated for not having them naturally. The most important thing is to cook good food with having a unique culinary point of view a distant 2nd. (God help a contestant if their "culinary point of view" doesn't fit into whatever jackass task they have that week!)

Out of the people left, Nikki had the most unique idea for a show. At least it was way better than Paula Deen 2, Mr. Everything's A Pie, Internet Meme: The Chef and whatever the gently caress Stacey is.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
It just goes to show how fake the show is. The training is fake, the tasks are fake, the focus groups are fake, the judging is fake, the prize is fake.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
To be fair, the show is pretty transparently a massive promotional vehicle for the entire network and their straightforward "chef talks to cameras in their kitchen" cooking shows aren't part of their primetime lineup.

Brocktoon posted:

(God help a contestant if their "culinary point of view" doesn't fit into whatever jackass task they have that week!)

By this metric Rodney legitimately deserves to still be there :tinfoil: I'm still pissed that he survived utterly making GBS threads the bed on the auction challenge.

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Let's give the pilot to Rodney and let's really enjoy the pie show that's gonna air once on a Saturday night sandwiched between Restaurant Impossible and Chopped. Give Rodney some money that he can blow at Rockmount Ranch Wear and an opportunity to show up for a Thanksgiving special and call it a day.

I'd rather see him pull a Jeff Mauro and go on Chopped All-Stars claiming he's more than his shtick and proceed to make a pie for every round as he inexplicably coasts to a second-place finish.

e: almost missed the thread title change :D

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 30, 2013

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bean posted:

I love how Alton looks like he wants to flip a table every time Rodney does anything, but he can't because he likes getting paychecks as much as the rest of us do. I don't like Rodney, but my husband cannot take Rodney under any circumstances. It's that little tiny fedora on his giant thumb head. My husband hates fedoras more than goons do.

It's not a fedora. It's a pork pie hat. :v:

But yeah, you know that Alton legit doesn't care for Rodney's personality, and probably not a fan of Guy either. He was just so delighted by Damaris not fistbumping people, and that's all those douchebros do.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Unfortunately, Alton's line about how he should be able to look at a dish and know who cooked it made my eye's rollback so hard that I am now permanently blind. Also, a friend of mine tried to make Nikki's auction dish and it was loving delicious.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The #1 thing about Rodney that makes it impossible to understand him still being there is his lack of ability to speak basic English. Whether its in the actual challenges or just talking off the cuff to the other contestants, the guy can't seem to complete a thought or say anything resembling a real sentence. Whats going to happen when he's got 22 minutes to fill? To me thats the difference between Rodney and Guy Fieri, Guy can actually put words together, THEN he hads all of his annoying catchphrases. Rodney used catchphrases to cover for the fact that hes dumb.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

ToastyPotato posted:

Unfortunately, Alton's line about how he should be able to look at a dish and know who cooked it made my eye's rollback so hard that I am now permanently blind. Also, a friend of mine tried to make Nikki's auction dish and it was loving delicious.
Especially since it's another example of how inconsistent the critiques are. Russell seems to be focusing in more on his 7 culinary sins or whatever and I don't think his spinach wrapped chicken had any of them. I would probably have guessed it was Nikki's or Stacey's dish if I didn't know ahead of time.

Jamesman posted:

But yeah, you know that Alton legit doesn't care for Rodney's personality, and probably not a fan of Guy either. He was just so delighted by Damaris not fistbumping people, and that's all those douchebros do.

It's probably Giada who keeps pushing for Rodney. He was the first one she mentioned about who she would tune in to watch at last weeks elimination. For now, I think I have to root for Damaris as she seems the most genuine and knowledgeable without being insufferable. I'm kind of unsure about the final three. It would be awful if Rodney made it there. If it came down to Russell, Stacey, and Damaris I can see Stacey and Damaris splitting the vote leading to a Russell victory which would be disappointing.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Jamesman posted:

He tweeted this last week
http://pic.twitter.com/Qz86tlVTQG

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I don't have the patience or mental fortitude to sit through the season that Guy won, but I really want to see the criticisms they gave him, if any. Rodney seems to be on track to win or get second place, which means a delightful career of being on TV pushing food that no one at the network that hired him can even bring themselves to say is any good.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I voted for Guy.

I still hate myself for it

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

I voted for Guy.

I still hate myself for it

I did too. It's too bad his shittiness wasn't apparent until he started doing DDD.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Did he wear his sunglasses on the back of his neck during that competition? I hate that poo poo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

cjg posted:

Did he wear his sunglasses on the back of his neck during that competition? I hate that poo poo.

I'm remember him being pretty much fully formed Guy from the first episode, which is I guess to his credit. But like most of the seasons of this terrible, terrible show Guy was the one person who had the natural ability to get in front of a camera and be himself without freezing up. I think Bobby Flay said it a few episodes ago that they need someone that can go on a live show like Good Morning America and the network doesn't have to watch through their hands worrying that it will be a huge disaster. They seem to be able to get only 1 or 2 contestants with this quality per season. A few seasons have had none.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

He was definitely Guy, and as much as I loathe him I can say that he's always seemed like he can handle the camera and has some sort of charisma. You got it right: so few of those guys can get in front of a camera live without a hitch so when someone can, it's kind of astounding. I thought his competition was dumb (they seemed to have an overly narrow category, a laugh at a time when there are pies and sandwiches and etc competing)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Brocktoon posted:

The whole process makes no sense to me. They're constantly having to do things they'd never have to do on whatever show they eventually get. Who gives a poo poo if they cook a gourmet meal in the wilderness with 3 ingredients, unless they're gonna be on Dinner Impossible every week?

At least they haven't had to chisel ingredients out of an ice sculpture and do a biatholon to earn ingredients.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Basebf555 posted:

I'm remember him being pretty much fully formed Guy from the first episode, which is I guess to his credit. But like most of the seasons of this terrible, terrible show Guy was the one person who had the natural ability to get in front of a camera and be himself without freezing up. I think Bobby Flay said it a few episodes ago that they need someone that can go on a live show like Good Morning America and the network doesn't have to watch through their hands worrying that it will be a huge disaster. They seem to be able to get only 1 or 2 contestants with this quality per season. A few seasons have had none.

Which makes the fact that Rodney got this far all the more astounding. There haven't been as many "in front of the camera" challenges this season, but for most of them so far, Rodney has had an average to below average camera presence compared to the other competitors. They've been so focused on these dumb theme challenges that tie in every FN show possible that the challenges that are actually indicative of how they would performed in their own show are few and far between. That being said, Rodney hasn't really excelled in those either, so I have no idea how he got this far.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

He was definitely Guy, and as much as I loathe him I can say that he's always seemed like he can handle the camera and has some sort of charisma. You got it right: so few of those guys can get in front of a camera live without a hitch so when someone can, it's kind of astounding. I thought his competition was dumb (they seemed to have an overly narrow category, a laugh at a time when there are pies and sandwiches and etc competing)

Yeah for what he does, which is go talk to people about their food and make them feel comfortable and make it somewhat entertaining, he's pretty good. You pretty much couldn't pay me to eat at one of his restaurants, but that doesn't particularly matter to what he's being asked to do on TV.

There was some article last year that apparently during the first few seasons of DDD he was in such conflict with the then producer that he just wouldn't show up to a lot of the arranged shoots. That's what resulted in many of those early episodes that had him simply narrating over the top of footage instead of being at the place.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Red Warrior posted:

Yeah for what he does, which is go talk to people about their food and make them feel comfortable and make it somewhat entertaining, he's pretty good. You pretty much couldn't pay me to eat at one of his restaurants, but that doesn't particularly matter to what he's being asked to do on TV.

There was some article last year that apparently during the first few seasons of DDD he was in such conflict with the then producer that he just wouldn't show up to a lot of the arranged shoots. That's what resulted in many of those early episodes that had him simply narrating over the top of footage instead of being at the place.

Yea one major difference between Guy and everyone thats come after him is that before the show he was a succesful restauranteur and I think already had a moderately popular cable access cooking show. So for the most part he had the resume of someone that might end up on the food network regardless of a dumb reality show. It makes sense to me that he'd actually step up to the producer and fight for his ideas because at the time he already had a very full resume and he wasn't scared to lose his only shot at success.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

He was definitely Guy, and as much as I loathe him I can say that he's always seemed like he can handle the camera and has some sort of charisma.

Exactly this. I will say that I found Guy even charming at first, mostly because of how he got along with other people on Diners Drives-Ins & Dives. He kind of reminded me of Emeril with the catchphrases and the being able to play to an audience.

Then at some point, he stopped feeling genuine and likeable and started feeling like a big annoying jackass. I don't know if his shtick wore thin or if he just started laying it on too heavy or what, but I honestly used to think he was an OK dude when he started on the network.

dude789 posted:

Which makes the fact that Rodney got this far all the more astounding. There haven't been as many "in front of the camera" challenges this season, but for most of them so far, Rodney has had an average to below average camera presence compared to the other competitors. They've been so focused on these dumb theme challenges that tie in every FN show possible that the challenges that are actually indicative of how they would performed in their own show are few and far between. That being said, Rodney hasn't really excelled in those either, so I have no idea how he got this far.

Russel has also been horrible in the camera challenges. Every time he talks about food, he's like a cross between William Shatner and those shiba inu dog memes. "Wow. So bacon. Culinary sins. Food amazing."

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Does/Did anyone watch PBS's The Mind Of A Chef with David Chang? The first season just showed up on Netflix and I just marathoned it this weekend. Anthony Bourdain narrates it and definitely has a hand in the production, but it has a really cool sense of whimsy to it that I enjoy. Aziz Ansari even shows up in the pork episode when they go to Montreal.

http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/the-mind-of-a-chef/

Apparently Season 2 will be airing this fall.

I loved that show so much. Just before it started I got into Bourdain's travel show but it's hard to find episodes online and the DVDs are weirdly ordered (ie. not just full season box sets) so I'm hesitant to buy them but being able to watch The Mind of A Chef totally scratched my Bourdain itch and my need for an actually entertaining and informative cooking show.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I'm already bracing myself for Rodney inexplicably making it into the final three over someone more deserving.

They're not even recommending their own cooking shows any more. All of these pitches are "I go into a restaurant and make their dishes with my own twist on them."
Damaris is the only one who's going with a show where she makes her own original recipes.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 5, 2013

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
So everyone's pitching ideas where they travel around and check out restaurants around the country. Was that the challenge and I missed it, or is everything just horrible in the world?

Wait, Damaris didn't pitch that idea, so everything is just horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Jamesman posted:

So everyone's pitching ideas where they travel around and check out restaurants around the country. Was that the challenge and I missed it, or is everything just horrible in the world?

Wait, Damaris didn't pitch that idea, so everything is just horrible.

Watch that Damaris ends up being the one who gets kicked from the final 4. If that happens I might just have to give up on Food Network forever.

• Locked thread