Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Primo Itch posted:

You do any kind of movement/mixing when standing or just the small bit at the beginning to get air bubbles out?

I generally agitate for about 5 seconds every half hour, and then tap the tank to let the bubbles out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I let it stand for the full hour, but I bang the tank hard on the floor/table three times before I let it sit, and I've never had problems with bubbles.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Okay, dorkroom. What have I gotten myself into? I bought the following (and a bunch of other darkroom equipment) for $250:

A Beseler 45MCR enlarger

(The bulb housing popped off during the drive, and the bulb broke.. Got the base of the bulb out with some needle nose pliers.)

Schneider Componon-S 150mm:

Rodenstock Omegaron 90mm:

(Omega?) Omicron-EL 50mm:

e: vvvvvv Just found out it's a 45MCR and not 45MXT

krnhotwings fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 28, 2013

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

It sounds like you've gotten yourself into something awesome.

I have a Beseler 45MX and its great, I don't know what the T adds though.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Primo Itch posted:

You do any kind of movement/mixing when standing or just the small bit at the beginning to get air bubbles out?

with medium and large format i agitate like 5 seconds every half hour and give a few vigorous taps, never had any problems. 35mm is more prone to bubbles because of the sprocket holes so you might want to tap a few more times.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Is anyone who is packing a heap of 120 film willing to send me a sample package of a bunch of different types to try out? Will pay, of course.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just bought my first ever Rangefinder, a Rolleimat F from eBay in EX condition, yay!

Can't wait to try to get stuff in focus and fail miserably.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
That doesn't look like a rangefinder to me...

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

McMadCow posted:

That doesn't look like a rangefinder to me...

http://classiccameras-photography.blogspot.com/2010/06/rolleimat-f.html

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

It doesn't have a rangefinder window, though. And that parts description in your link shows a focusing scale on the lens.

EDIT:
And the manual found at:
http://www.cameramanuals.org/rolleiflex/rolleimat_f.pdf
Says on focusing that you estimate the distance and set it on the scale. Not a rangefinder camera, sorry.

EDIT EDIT:

VVV drat YOU

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 29, 2013

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

The instruction manual says its a scale focus camera.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Why does it need a viewfinder and a bright frame window if it's only scale focus?

Y'all made me get an Instax.

under the road by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

voodoorootbeer posted:

Why does it need a viewfinder and a bright frame window if it's only scale focus?

This is dope

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

McMadCow posted:

It doesn't have a rangefinder window, though. And that parts description in your link shows a focusing scale on the lens.

Ah, I see, I was misled by an eBay description but whatevs, looks like a nice little camera and it wasn't expensive.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Ah, I see, I was misled by an eBay description but whatevs, looks like a nice little camera and it wasn't expensive.

No biggie.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

voodoorootbeer posted:

One of us! One of us!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
can't remember if I posted this or not

No Longer Possible by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

atomicthumbs posted:

can't remember if I posted this or not

No Longer Possible by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Clone out that thing in the center it's distracting :v:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

What do you guys reckon is an okay amount of time to have exposed but undeveloped rolls kept in the fridge? I have like four 1 month old 120 rolls and like six 2 year old 135 rolls that I need to stop hoarding.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Santa is strapped posted:

What do you guys reckon is an okay amount of time to have exposed but undeveloped rolls kept in the fridge? I have like four 1 month old 120 rolls and like six 2 year old 135 rolls that I need to stop hoarding.

Have literally left stuff in the fridge for years before developing it, don't overthink it.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Good stuff. I'm pretty curious what I have on the older rolls, its almost like opening presents. I'll develop them as soon as I move to the apartment in a week.

And a new apartment means I can finally set up my dorkroom.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Have literally left stuff in the fridge for years before developing it, don't overthink it.

I've developed Verichrome Pan that was left in a drawer since the mid-late 60s. Some films have poor latent image longevity (Pan F had some notoriety for this, and Pan F+ is still only so much better) but most will be fine.

e: Case in point: Vivian Maier.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jul 30, 2013

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Santa is strapped posted:

I have stuff in my fridge from 2009 that I still haven't got around to developing.

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more
I've shot about 40 rolls since January but developed 2. I hope nothing is wrong with my camera :shrug:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Ha, some rolls I've shot are from a camera I haven't even seen the results of yet. I wonder if it leaks...

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

:getin:

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I never realized how big the Instax is.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's clown sized. It makes you appreciate the engineering that went into the likes of the sx-70 et all.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I always stop myself before I splash out on a Polaroid, the film is so drat expensive :gonk:

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

It's clown sized. It makes you appreciate the engineering that went into the likes of the sx-70 et all.

The SX-70 also has nose room.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
The instax was designed by the xbox 1 team. :downsrim:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
kodak, if you are hearing this up there in rochester, please. bring back panatomic-x and also never stop making portra 400

Oppressive Silence off Ridgecrest Blvd. by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Treatment by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

when you learn not to rely on the wonders of man by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Calm Times by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Go! by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Undulations and Bush by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
As long as Fuji keeps making Acros 100 and Ilford keeps making HP5+, I'm good.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

HPL posted:

As long as Fuji keeps making Acros 100 and Ilford keeps making HP5+, I'm good.

Considering what happened recently, I'm not even sure if Fuji will continue to make Acros 100 in the long run.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

alkanphel posted:

Considering what happened recently, I'm not even sure if Fuji will continue to make Acros 100 in the long run.

How many people do you think were actually buying Neopan 400 compared to tri-x and hp5?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I bought Neopan 400 once and I instantly wished I'd bought HP5

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I bought HP5 once and I instantly wished I'd bought Tri-X.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Meanwhile I bought some Acros and instantly realized I was a good person because who the gently caress buys b&w 100 that's not Acros.

In other news, a girl at the farm where I work saw me tooling around with my Yashica and offered me an AE-1 with speedlight and a pile of old film for $50. Couldn't say no. The film is mostly cheap Fuji and Kodak but I'm not really sure what all of it is.

Mystery film day! by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

She said a friend rolled the left one for her and that she thought it was black and white but hosed if I know what has a slightly greenish yellow backing layer. I'm gonna say the Giant Eagle stuff is Fuji Superia since it says "Made in Japan" and I assume that the Kodak Max is just the older version of Kodak Gold. Ideas?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The Kodak MAX thing is probably just a standard film yes. The only Kodak 400 ISO consumer film I've seen in Denmark recently has been called UltraMAX, I think the "Gold" name is reserved for their 200 film here.

For the mystery roll I'd suggest shooting it at 200 and stand-developing it (for b/w). Don't trust a lab with it, home-develop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Was cleaning out my basement today and found an old Praktica LTL camera, which I believe I took in trade for some Magic cards back in high school. The thing has a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm f2.8 lens and a Soligor Zoom+Macro 80-200mm lens. As a complete beginner to photograpy (I already have a digital camera I recently inherited) Is it worth buying film to use with this thing?