Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Kino's Journey is excellent. It's very low-key, but it's one of the best shows I've ever seen when it comes to conveying mood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

RebBrownies posted:

Are Kino's Journey , Gunslinger Girl, and Vampire Hunter D worth the watch?

Kino's Journey, absolutely. Kino is one of the best and most unique female protagonists in anime and the show itself is an interesting and thought-provoking series of parables about many facets of human nature.

Gunslinger Girl, it depends. Some people are turned off by the subtext of the handler/weapon nature of the men and the girls, but that is kind of the point. If you can get past that, Gunslinger Girl is a solid, intelligent, and thematically rich exploration of Machiavellian extremism and child soldiers. Unfortunately, a change in studio for season 2 killed the production values. if you like the anime I highly recommend giving the manga, which is now completed, a read. It has a fantastic ending.

Vampire Hunter D, eh... kind of? If you're talking about the original, it really doesn't hold up at all. Time has not been kind to it. It's still pretty iconic, but unless you really like the whole gothic vampire aesthetic, I'd pass on it. The movie, Bloodlust, on the hand is absolutely superb. It's jaw-droppingly gorgeous and is pretty solid as a stand alone film.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
^That explains a lot about Gunslinger Girls and why I didn't enjoy the second season.

I will read the first manga with a really cool concept that's posted after this one. Anything at all! Just nothing too slice of life or comedy-drama please.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
So here is the deal; I am working on a (not a completely comprehensive) list of animation I want to watch. Most of it I have gotten from books on animation history. The animation thread has thrown me a few good ones, but I want to see if you guys could throw me some suggestions on what you consider to be the 10 important classics of Japanese animation.

This is the list.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2J08swv4oc0RHBoc0hfTUlfTFE

Senior Scarybagels fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 30, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Definitely add Redline to your list. I see you've already got Satoshi Kon, Yuasa, and Anno represented, so that's covered. Maybe throw in Dead Leaves.

EDIT: These are more recent than "classics" but I think they'll fit in just fine.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 30, 2013

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Senior Scarybagels posted:

So here is the deal; I am working on a (not a completely comprehensive) list of animation I want to watch. Most of it I have gotten from books on animation history. The animation thread has thrown me a few good ones, but I want to see if you guys could throw me some suggestions on what you consider to be the 10 important classics of Japanese animation.
There's a Japanese wiki called Sakuga@wiki which maintains a list of productions with notable animation you might want to check out.

http://www18.atwiki.jp/sakuga/pages/100.html

and here's a translation from 2010
http://2chan.us/wordpress/2010/05/01/sakugawikis-list-of-recommended-sakuga-anime/

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
While anything by Satoshi Kon is a worthwhile addition, I would include Millennium Actress instead of Paprika. Or ideally both, I suppose.

E: I would also add The Girl Who Leapt Through Time by Mamoru Hosoda.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 30, 2013

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I will look into those, but the reason I ask for ten is so that my list isn't skewed toward Japanese Animation.

Nate RFB posted:

While anything by Satoshi Kon is a worthwhile addition, I would include Millennium Actress instead of Paprika. Or ideally both, I suppose.

Yeah I will add millennium actress, I was just going by the books I had.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Holy poo poo, that's a list. I hope you aren't planning to watch ALL of those.

You should definitely add some Yoshitashi Abe titles. Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze, and Haibane Renmei are all fantastic and all very unique. His good friend Chikai Konaka, who wrote Texhnolyze and Lain, has plenty of other fantastic titles such as RahXephon and Princess Tutu to name a couple.

I notice you don't have any Lupin the Third titles on there except for Castle of Caligostro. That's about 40 years of history.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Definitely add Redline to your list. I see you've already got Satoshi Kon, Yuasa, and Anno represented, so that's covered. Maybe throw in Dead Leaves.

EDIT: These are more recent than "classics" but I think they'll fit in just fine.

Also fantastic recommendations, and his edit goes for most of mine as well.

This isn't a Japanime, but Renaissance was a fantastic animated film out of France. The stark black and white art style might be a bit off-putting, but it fits in with one of the main themes of the story. Worth throwing on the list, imo.

e: As far as a top 10, that's kinda tough. There's lots of great titles we could suggest but narrowing it down to 10 would be a hell of a painful process.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 30, 2013

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

ViggyNash posted:

Holy poo poo, that's a list. I hope you aren't planning to watch ALL of those.

Well the thing is, most of these I can watch without any problem -- the series themselves I am only going to watch a few episodes to get an idea of the show and its style. Also I chose castle of cagliostro as it is not only one of the first Lupin pieces in the US, but it is one of the best.

Senior Scarybagels fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 30, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Viggynash I loving love Rahxephon and think it has one of the biggest :stare: episodes out there but don't try to put it alongside Kon, Miyazaki and Yuasa. It doesn't compare. It's also not a classic.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Vampire Hunter D rules fuckin extra hard especially if you like old super gore anime movies from the 80s and 90s.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

DamnGlitch posted:

Vampire Hunter D rules fuckin extra hard especially if you like old super gore anime movies from the 80s and 90s.

I am an idiot ignore this post.

Senior Scarybagels fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 30, 2013

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

RebBrownies posted:

Are Kino's Journey , Gunslinger Girl, and Vampire Hunter D worth the watch?

He was responding to this quote from earlier, not your question.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Blhue posted:

He was responding to this quote from earlier, not your question.
Oops my bad I must've missed that

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The issue is, that how is it an important classic that furthered the art of Japanese Animation? I am looking for the stuff that is considered the 10 most important Japanese Animations that are not on my list

The problem with asking for the "most important" is what exactly you mean by that. Are you looking for things that had a profound impact on Japanese culture? Are you looking for things that were groundbreaking pieces within the medium? Are you looking for classics that remain memorable decades later, for better or worse?

Without a bit of specification, we'll just keep listing high quality, well regarded titles by well regarded individuals in the industry, which is sort of what I ended up doing in my earlier post. Also, different shows will have a more profound effect on different people, so a show that might be personally important to one might not mean anything to another. What I'm asking is what is it that you personally are looking for? Maybe some context as to the purpose of your list might help.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

The issue is, that how is it an important classic that furthered the art of Japanese Animation? I am looking for the stuff that is considered the 10 most important Japanese Animations that are not on my list

Seriously there could be 100 pages of debate on this and still no clear answers. Maybe if you asked for 10 per genre (although for that I would point you to the ADTRWiki lists). There's just too much out there and too many opinions.

Also, Legend of Galactic Heroes.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah go watch Galactic Heroes.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Fenrir posted:

Seriously there could be 100 pages of debate on this and still no clear answers. Maybe if you asked for 10 per genre (although for that I would point you to the ADTRWiki lists). There's just too much out there and too many opinions.

Also, Legend of Galactic Heroes.

Well let me give you some examples of stuff I am looking for; I suppose you are right in that asking for "The 10 most important anime" was a bit too broad. I guess I should just say anime movies that are deemed important, if that helps, I don't really know, I just want like a list of 10 anime movies (or if you must TV series) that one must see, out of all the anime out that, what things not on the list are pretty much required viewing.

Tetsujin 28-go, the first robot anime.
Mazinger Z - the anime that established the giant robot genre
Astro Boy - The first popular anime in the West.
Princess Mononoke - the top box office anime movie

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
If you're just talking movies, I can't imagine how or why Akira wouldn't be there.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fenrir posted:

If you're just talking movies, I can't imagine how or why Akira wouldn't be there.

That's what I said, then I read his list and it was already on there. :downs:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Well yeah, but he was talking about narrowing that ungodly huge list to 10, and my point was that Akira would still be there.

e: :doh:

Welp, I apparently got rubber-stamped through reading comprehension.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 30, 2013

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Fenrir posted:

Well yeah, but he was talking about narrowing that ungodly huge list to 10, and my point was that Akira would still be there.

The reason why akira wouldn't be on there, is because I already have it on my watch list, that's the thing; I am looking for stuff that is not on the list I posted.

Japex
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Internet/Computer releated series? Already watched Lain, GiTS and Welcome to the NHK!!
Something with a heavy focus on 2channel culture or realistic programming would be optimal.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Japex posted:

Internet/Computer releated series? Already watched Lain, GiTS and Welcome to the NHK!!
Something with a heavy focus on 2channel culture or realistic programming would be optimal.

This one's kind of a reach but I have to say it - Have you watched Steins;Gate?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Well let me give you some examples of stuff I am looking for; I suppose you are right in that asking for "The 10 most important anime" was a bit too broad. I guess I should just say anime movies that are deemed important, if that helps, I don't really know, I just want like a list of 10 anime movies (or if you must TV series) that one must see, out of all the anime out that, what things not on the list are pretty much required viewing.

Tetsujin 28-go, the first robot anime.
Mazinger Z - the anime that established the giant robot genre
Astro Boy - The first popular anime in the West.
Princess Mononoke - the top box office anime movie

So you're looking for things that are historically important, both in terms of their contribution to the medium and/or their statistical impression. That definitely narrows the list.

Even though you have the original Ghost in the Shell in your list, I think GitS: Stand Alone Complex deserves its own spot. It took the fascinating cyberpunk setting of the original movie and breathed life into it and greatly expanded upon it. To me, the series is one of the foremost examples of anime cyberpunk right alongside Akira. On top of that it has one of the best dubs in anime with notable performances by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn as Major Kusanagi and Richard Epcar as Batou, and I personally though Crispin Freeman did a drat good job as Togusa.

Japex posted:

I'll second the Steins;Gate recommendation. One of my personal favorites. Robotics;Notes might also fit the bill.

e: This is a bit of a stretch, but the currently running show Gatchaman Crowds might be of interest. One part of the plot so far has focused on this social networking app that keeps people connected in real time to an extraordinary extent.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 30, 2013

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

ViggyNash posted:

So you're looking for things that are historically important, both in terms of their contribution to the medium and/or their statistical impression. That definitely narrows the list.
Yeah I guess that is better than the way I said it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Doesn't LOGH fit that bill? Still among the best shows out there, I daresay anime or not. A few others suggested it but really, you should watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

Doesn't LOGH fit that bill? Still among the best shows out there, I daresay anime or not. A few others suggested it but really, you should watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

I added it to my list of stuff, but I probably won't watch the entire series, if I must I would probably watch one of the movies, so which movie would you suggest?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
LOGH is seriously one of the best anime ever made, period, so you should probably buckle down and watch the series. I would say maybe sacrifice one or two others to make time for it if you're hard-pressed for time. It's really that good. The movies are prequels or compilations of the first episodes, if anything you should begin the series by watching My Conquest is the Sea of Stars, which is a better intro than the first few episodes.

Zorak's got a galactic boner for it and I'm sure could drop a better explanation on you to get you to watch it. :v:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 30, 2013

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

LOGH is seriously one of the best anime ever made, period, so you should probably buckle down and watch the series. I would say maybe sacrifice one or two others to make time for it if you're hard-pressed for time. It's really that good. The movies are prequels or compilations of the first episodes, if anything you should begin the series by watching My Conquest is the Sea of Stars, which is a better intro than the first few episodes.

Zorak's got a galactic boner for it and I'm sure could drop a better explanation on you to get you to watch it. :v:

I will wait for zorak's galactic boner explaination, because if I am going to be sitting down for a 110 episode series, I want to be be sure that it is worth my time.

In the mean time, this is what I have gathered from this:
Serial experiments Lain, GITS:SAC, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Dead Leaves, Redline, Millenium Actress, Renaissance, Maybe the entirety of LoGH, what other two would you consider historically important, both in terms of their contribution to the medium and/or their statistical impression?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Japex posted:

Denno Coil isn't really 2chan-ish or about realistic programming, but it does have a lot of stuff about internet/AR technology and how people use it and are affected by it. Eden of the East has a bunch of AR/social media stuff.

I added it to my list of stuff, but I probably won't watch the entire series, if I must I would probably watch one of the movies, so which movie would you suggest?
If you mean for LoGH, then My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars is a good intro.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Gunbuster and Diebuster are what really kicked off Gainax's rise as well as creating or at least popularizing a ton of giant robot tropes. They're each 6 episode OAVs, and have some pretty outstanding animation, Gunbuster has that wonderful "80's anime" feel with the glowy instrument panels and such. Don't watch Diebuster right after Gunbuster though, break it up with something in between.

Also TVIV had a long-lived LOGH thread, which was popular and I think was the only anime thread ever allowed in there.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

I will wait for zorak's galactic boner explaination, because if I am going to be sitting down for a 110 episode series, I want to be be sure that it is worth my time.

In the mean time, this is what I have gathered from this:
Serial experiments Lain, GITS:SAC, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Dead Leaves, Redline, Millenium Actress, Renaissance, Maybe the entirety of LoGH, what other two would you consider historically important, both in terms of their contribution to the medium and/or their statistical impression?

It's worth your time.

Also, I would suggest The Big O as a series of historical interest. Not only is the look and overall style directly inspired by a Western series (Batman: The Animated Series), which is fairly unique, but the second season was funded by Cartoon Network after a good reception in the U.S.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nipponophile posted:

Also, I would suggest The Big O as a series of historical interest. Not only is the look and overall style directly inspired by a Western series (Batman: The Animated Series), which is fairly unique, but the second season was funded by Cartoon Network after a good reception in the U.S.

Fair warning: don't expect the ending to make much sense or be especially satisfying. The trip there's a great ride, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mors Rattus posted:

Fair warning: don't expect the ending to make much sense or be especially satisfying. The trip there's a great ride, though.

We'll get a third season one day, right? :smithicide:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Was the Time of EVE Kickstarter the first Japanese anime kickstarter ever? If so, that might be of interest to the list as being the first Japanime to ever use crowdsourcing to market itself to western audiences. It's quite short, but also one of the single best shows I've ever watched, and is a personal favorite, so I'd suggest watching the whole thing if you take it.

If you do watch it, I'd also recommend watching Studio Rikka's first couple of shorts: Aquatic Language, which feels like a blueprint for Time of EVE, and Pale Cocoon, which is longer but is a very unique and wonderfully intriguing short.

e: Fair warning, if Zorak gets involved he probably won't back down until LOGH is on that list and he's convinced you to watch the whole thing. Even restricted to only 10 animes, I'd also say its worthy of the list.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
No, so far as I'm aware, that distinction goes to Yuasa's Kick Heart (which is very interesting in terms of animation). The ToE kickstarter was only to release the film on bluray, not to actually create any new content aside from an English dub.

While ToE is probably my favourite anime, I don't think it's that groundbreaking in terms of animation. I guess it's notable in that it originally appeared online instead of on TV and it had a rather low budget.

Whooping Toff
Oct 21, 2010

*ahem*

I do beg your pardon.
Can anyone recommend a series or manga that has an LGBT relashionship that is displayed in a positive light and is not pandering fetish poo poo?

I've watched Wandering Son and am watching From the New World, both of which I felt were ok at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You should read the Wandering Son manga at least to see the ending. Don't remember where the anime ending but it was obviously far off from where the manga ended up.

• Locked thread