Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

QuestWhat posted:

In fact, I only recently discovered there were secret levels and the one I came across was a circular track that needed to do a full 720 rotation before coming back to the starting point :psyduck:.

The things you can do with 2.5D engines...

Wait until you come across the secret map "Tier Drops".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012
Where can I find the entrance/secret exit?

VVVVV Thanks.

QuestWhat fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 29, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

QuestWhat posted:

Where can I find the entrance/secret exit?

Just use this because I don't remember the details.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009
Figured I'd post this, I recently decided to go back and take a pretty in-depth look through the contents of the 1996 Blood alpha and managed to find some pretty neat stuff within it, so I decided to go use the knowledge and screen-shots I took to spruce up the somewhat lacking info page over at blood-wiki.org

One really interesting thing I found was that Richard "levelord" Gray may have at one time been working on level Design for blood, theres a couple of levels with the prefix "Gray" from around the time when the original Qstudio team worked out a deal with Apogee and got a real office with the 3D realms people

NoodleBox fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 29, 2013

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NoodleBox posted:

Figured I'd post this, I recently decided to go back and take a pretty in-depth look through the contents of the 1996 Blood alpha and its pretty some of the stuff that I managed to find within it, so I decided to go use the knowledge and screen-shots I took to spruce up the somewhat lacking info page over at blood-wiki.org

One really interesting thing I found was that Richard "levelord" Gray may have at one time been working on level Design for blood, theres a couple of levels with the prefix "Gray" from around the time when the original Qstudio team worked out a deal with Apogee and got a real office with the 3D realms people
Thanks to your link, I managed to find this on the flamethrower can page of the wiki:

Sperg posted:

Though the concept behind the aerosol dates back to the 1790 the first can was invented in Oslo on November 23, 1926 by Erik Rotheim. It was not until 1939 that a patent was filed for a disposable aerosol spray can and not until 1941 and beyond that it began to attain popularity. Likewise, the Zippo lighter Caleb uses to ignite the aerosol spray would not be produced until 1933. This makes their inclusion in Blood, retroactively dated as 1928 in Blood II, somewhat historically dubious.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Jblade posted:

Anyways I'm playing Redneck Rampage and it's the weakest of the build games - while the levels look incredibly pretty, they're ridiculously dark convulted mazes and the keys are tiny black shapes that they just hide randomly for some obscure reason, AND they're all identical and you get no information about what key goes where.
This is easily the worst thing about Redneck Rampage IMO. The levels were pretty bad, but the key thing was the biggest offender for me. I understand they probably wanted to make it somewhat "realistic to modern day Earth" by not using colored keys and doors, but I would've preferred having the colored keys and doors over having to backtrack to every locked door everytime I found a new key.

It's too bad that the level design was terrible, because almost everything else about it was actually pretty decent to good including the alcohol meter gimmick.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

NoodleBox posted:

Figured I'd post this, I recently decided to go back and take a pretty in-depth look through the contents of the 1996 Blood alpha and managed to find some pretty neat stuff within it, so I decided to go use the knowledge and screen-shots I took to spruce up the somewhat lacking info page over at blood-wiki.org

The Blood alpha is extremely interesting because it lacks the neat environments that make Blood what it is. It seems they originally wanted the game to consists of generic gothic castles, manors and dungeons. As a result of that and mediocre level design, most of the levels seem pretty aimless and boring. I get the feeling that Blood floated around for a while without any real concrete direction besides "dudes in robes shoot at you in an evil manor while some monsters we made out of clay harass you". They hammered out interesting weapons and gameplay, but didn't really know how to put it together. Looking at old Shadow Warrior pre-release screenshots, I also get the same directionless vibe, but with generic Asian temples and ninjas. Its probably the reason why Blood and SW were in limbo for so long.

You can get some of the alpha's directionless and generic feel from the episode the Plasma Pak added to Blood, since nearly all of them (except the first level IIRC) were recycled from maps seen in the Blood alpha.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 29, 2013

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

closeted republican posted:

The Blood alpha is extremely interesting because it lacks the neat environments that make Blood what it is. It seems they originally wanted the game to consists of generic gothic castles, manors and dungeons. As a result of that and mediocre level design, most of the levels seem pretty aimless and boring. I get the feeling that Blood floated around for a while without any real concrete direction besides "dudes in robes shoot at you in an evil manor while some monsters we made out of clay harass you". They hammered out interesting weapons and gameplay, but didn't really know how to put it together. Looking at old Shadow Warrior pre-release screenshots, I also get the same directionless vibe, but with generic Asian temples and ninjas. Its probably the reason why Blood and SW were in limbo for so long.

You can get some of the alpha's directionless and generic feel from the episode the Plasma Pak added to Blood, since nearly all of them (except the first level IIRC) were recycled from maps seen in the Blood alpha.

There was a guy who interviewed Nick Newhard, and at one point I think he mentions something about an argument between "Realistic" versus "Exaggerated" level/game-play presentation, I kinda get the feeling that around that point was when the blood we know and love began to come about

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

NoodleBox posted:

There was a guy who interviewed Nick Newhard, and at one point I think he mentions something about an argument between "Realistic" versus "Exaggerated" level/game-play presentation, I kinda get the feeling that around that point was when the blood we know and love began to come about

Very interesting. I'm betting the Blood alpha was made during the time the game was still meant to be a semi-serious, more realistic Lovecraftian game. That explains why it seems so dull and bland compared to the final game. I think you're right about when the final Blood started to form.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Obeast posted:

This is easily the worst thing about Redneck Rampage IMO. The levels were pretty bad, but the key thing was the biggest offender for me. I understand they probably wanted to make it somewhat "realistic to modern day Earth" by not using colored keys and doors, but I would've preferred having the colored keys and doors over having to backtrack to every locked door everytime I found a new key.

It's too bad that the level design was terrible, because almost everything else about it was actually pretty decent to good including the alcohol meter gimmick.
Yeah I struggled with it at first, but once you got to know the quirks it was pretty interesting. I didn't quite figure it out fully, but I think if the bar is green you take reduced damage as well? You pretty much have to keep constantly drunk. It IS a fun game in it's stride, the soundtrack is pretty great but could of done with having a delay between tracks because I heard all 8 of them in a single map many times. Rides Again balanced this out by having more instrumental banjo tracks, but I kinda miss the funky songs.

quote:

Looking at old Shadow Warrior pre-release screenshots, I also get the same directionless vibe, but with generic Asian temples and ninjas. Its probably the reason why Blood and SW were in limbo for so long.
The old plot to Shadow Warrior made you a nameless Shadow Warrior Ninja send to kill an evil magician called Kirin, who was located on a distant island so you're pretty much 100% spot on. I think 3DR changed it since the plot and levels just made it look like RoTT2 except with an Asian style (and of course a better engine) The same can be said of the Unreal beta levels I played...they're fun but they're sprawling Quake-style labyrinths rather than the slightly more focused levels we got in the full game.

That's interesting information about the Blood alpha, thanks for taking the time to play it. It's clear that what we ultimately got with Duke, SW and Blood was way better than the beta stuff, but sometimes they cut things that would of been amazing if it made it ingame (like the Spacesuit in Duke)

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Jblade posted:

It's clear that what we ultimately got with Duke, SW and Blood was way better than the beta stuff, but sometimes they cut things that would of been amazing if it made it ingame (like the Spacesuit in Duke)

You can say this for nearly every game that has a beta floating around. The various Unreal 1 betas have some nifty ideas (like the Skaarj-themed caskets and burial grounds/crypts), but don't really implement them well. Soledad, which is basically THE map everyone that's played the early 98 beta raves about, transforms into a gauntlet of lovely and frustrating insta-kill traps you need to avoid around 1/4th into the level.

The Half-Life 1 beta released this year shows the game was pretty poo poo before they completely reworked the game and had all sorts of dumb ideas, like most of the levels being around avoiding an enemy that'll instantly kill you and awful models. Lameduke is one giant mess that looks and feels like a mediocre game you'd find on a shareware disk, barring some of the city levels. The only beta that really showed more promise over the final game was Half-Life 2, and even then that was mostly because of the obsolete weapons and models that weren't stripped from the game at the time it was leaked that showed what the game was like in 2001 and 2002 instead of what it was in mid to late 2003.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Update on multiplayer for Duke3D Megaton Edition:

Devolver Digital posted:

So it looks like I forgot to give the forums here an update on multiplayer and truly I am sorry. The Devolver Digital team asked General Arcade to finish up on Shadow Warrior Classic Redux before implementing multiplayer in Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition and that's the reason you don't have multiplayer yet. This is entirely on us but we needed to act on the opportunity to update Shadow Warrior as well and that required moving things around.

The folks at General Arcade are working hard and doing a brilliant job on their end so show 'em some support and we should have a beta for multiplayer in Duke Nukem 3D soon so everyone can help us test it out and make sure it works perfectly.

Thanks and sorry again for the wait!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Kins posted:

Understandable but it would've been nice to hear that a while ago. I'd assumed they'd cancelled it.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

I wonder if the beta will be an opt-in thing or something rolled out to everyone on Steam.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

all I want to say is hurry up so I can play western.map in Dukematch and hog the big train all to myself.

Get off of my train :unsmigghh:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

NoodleBox posted:

This is really interesting. And a lot of these unused items were still available in the map editor. Some items you could pick up but didn't do anything, some crashed the game (like the Diving Suit) and some were useful for secrets like Key 7. I'm not sure how or if it was used anywhere in the game but Key 7 was an invisible key you could pick up and unlock doors with like the rest of the six themed keys. We used that one all the drat time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Segmentation Fault posted:

I wonder if the beta will be an opt-in thing or something rolled out to everyone on Steam.
It'll likely be opt-in through the Properties menu in the Steam library, possibly requiring a password posted on the forum. That's how Devolver handled the Hotline Miami update betas, at any rate.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

This is really interesting. And a lot of these unused items were still available in the map editor. Some items you could pick up but didn't do anything, some crashed the game (like the Diving Suit) and some were useful for secrets like Key 7. I'm not sure how or if it was used anywhere in the game but Key 7 was an invisible key you could pick up and unlock doors with like the rest of the six themed keys. We used that one all the drat time.

I couldn't seem to find any thing (no art, no placeholders, no functions) about key 7 within the alpha, but I have a feeling that the reason it exists might be due to remnants of code left over from the alpha still existent within the retail version of blood; my guess is that they might not have been able to get rid of a function without severely screwing something up or causing extra work for themselves, so they just put a quick patch on it, gave it the name "key 7" and called it a day

I say this because theres definite remnants of code for the majority of the other alpha items still within the retail version of blood, hell you can pretty much force all the alpha items into it if you make a map with the alpha's versions of mapedit and then convert it with the mapedit of the retail version

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

It'll likely be opt-in through the Properties menu in the Steam library, possibly requiring a password posted on the forum. That's how Devolver handled the Hotline Miami update betas, at any rate.

Actually you can opt in through the properties without any password right now. And you should because the beta build fixes a few things, and it adds the upgraded Roland SC-55 ogg files for the music.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Obeast posted:

Besides the level design, the enemy placement was also pretty laughable at times. In the second map there's a barn that, if I recall, serves absolutely no purpose and you don't even have to go in it. If you wander around inside, you'll find a little area off to the side that contains nothing but like four or five shotgun guys just standing around, facing away from you. You have no real reason to go in there, they're just sort of there in case you do.

There's also the massive difference in how much damage each enemy type does. The pistol guys do very little damage, the shotgun guys do way too much damage, even at distance, mosquitoes do more damage than the pistol guys and they get right up in your face. Then each of the alien types do tons more damage than either of the regular enemies, and they're practically indestructible without dynamite. Plus every single enemy is hitscan except for certain attacks by the aliens (like the Vixens have a lazer beam which isn't hitscan, but then they have the machine gun bra which is).

Basically Redneck Rampage is total bullshit, which is a shame because I like the style, the humor and some of the ideas like eating and drinking alcohol and having to balance out the meters.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Now that I think about it I never beat Redneck Rampage back in the day because I got stuck in some sewer maze and quit.

Also I seem to remember those dominatrix enemies being absolute fuckers who would murder your poo poo in an instant.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I know I've said this before, but Redneck Rampage gets a lot better as you go along. Route 66 I think had some of the best levels (I never got around to finishing Rides Again, but the early levels were pretty good I remember). However, I am very glad that you can do .CON edits, because some enemies have way too much health. I dropped the big guys and the Vixen's health down a lot so that they were still tough, but you could fight them. I also dropped a couple other enemies health downa little bit, I remember the sheriff I dropped his health down a touch.

I believe that sewer maze was from the first episode. The first episode is pretty bad in general.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

catlord posted:

I believe that sewer maze was from the first episode. The first episode is pretty bad in general.

That was the exact point I gave up on that game. I should probably get around to trying the sequels sometime, do you still have your tweaked .con file around somewhere?

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Rise of The Triad is out in 46 hours (according to Steam)! :woop: I don't think I've been this excited for a game in a long time. Are we going to have a dedicated thread for it or keep the discussion in here?

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Convex posted:

That was the exact point I gave up on that game. I should probably get around to trying the sequels sometime, do you still have your tweaked .con file around somewhere?
I've edited the art tile for the keys to be twice as big and have a bright red outline which makes seeing them in the dark as poo poo levels way way easier. What's the best place to upload a file for goons? is mediafire acceptable?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Convex posted:

Unfortunately, no. I had the game on my old computer, and then I got a new one and never transferred it over. It should be easy enough to do yourself, though. I think I halved most of the health figures of the big ones, I think with the sheriff I dropped it to just a bit above the shotgun guys. You might want to play around with the numbers yourself, too.

Argh, 2 days left! And then the day after that we get Quakecon!

Reive
May 21, 2009

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Rise of The Triad is out in 46 hours (according to Steam)! :woop: I don't think I've been this excited for a game in a long time. Are we going to have a dedicated thread for it or keep the discussion in here?

I really really hope I can run it, good video card, old as hell cpu...

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Having ten bucks to spare, I went all-in on a RoTT 2013 four-pack on Steam. I'll have my thoughts up here as soon as it's out. Gameplay footage reminds me a lot of the original, for better or worse. It looks hyper-fast, twitchy and self-aware in its general jankiness.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah, I am excited as hell and can't wait to play the new RoTT. Speaking of which, why the gently caress isn't there a thread for it yet? I'd take the initiative and make it, but :effort:.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Starhawk64 posted:

Speaking of which, why the gently caress isn't there a thread for it yet? I'd take the initiative and make it, but :effort:.
I'll make one in a day. Wanted to hold out until it was about to release.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
EDIT: The question is better asked in a different thread.

Doctor Shitfaced fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 30, 2013

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

catlord posted:

Unfortunately, no. I had the game on my old computer, and then I got a new one and never transferred it over. It should be easy enough to do yourself, though. I think I halved most of the health figures of the big ones, I think with the sheriff I dropped it to just a bit above the shotgun guys. You might want to play around with the numbers yourself, too.

Thanks, I'll give this a shot!

Jblade posted:

I've edited the art tile for the keys to be twice as big and have a bright red outline which makes seeing them in the dark as poo poo levels way way easier. What's the best place to upload a file for goons? is mediafire acceptable?

This sounds pretty useful, mediafire is good for me :)

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Reive posted:

It's Unreal 3 which scales well and doesn't usually need the greatest CPU. If you can't max it out then I'm positive they will have plenty of options or full config customization.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Reive posted:

I am in the same boat, its hit or miss for me with a lot of games for how well they run.
Don't be afraid to try max settings though, at least to try it. Planetside 2 actually runs better on Max settings than Min settings for a lot of people. I guess for those that are CPU bound, the game uses a lot of CPU to compress the textures, but by maxing the settings you take load off the CPU and put it onto the GPU instead. I have noticed some other games work similarly.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Samsara's taking a twist with a multiplayer-centric variant called Naraka. Here's a video of the first new class in it taking a cruise through a custom enemy pack...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inFC6NvhnXI

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009
Well, I went and compiled a whole ton of sprites for the blood alpha page, was annoying as loving hell too since I had to screen shot the images through artedit and piece pretty much all of them together

Hopefully I got everything that is to be gotten from it, because goddamn is it annoying to build those sprite sheets

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

Samsara's taking a twist with a multiplayer-centric variant called Naraka. Here's a video of the first new class in it taking a cruise through a custom enemy pack...

I hope it's indeed multiplayer-centric, because that single-player video looks boring as gently caress. Basically, god mode + infinite ammo, but you walk slowly. There's a few moments where he just sits there under enemy fire while the player presumably is making himself a cup of coffee in order not to succumb to sleep, because of how terribly dull the gameplay is.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
After buying the rott pack, I decided to play some Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold.

Holy poo poo what a weird game that is.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Platypus Farm posted:

After buying the rott pack, I decided to play some Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold.

Holy poo poo what a weird game that is.

Are you saying your corporate office isn't littered with torture chambers filled with alien mutants and boxes of human limbs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

The Kins posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inFC6NvhnXI

Hahah the chaingunner with the Doom visor replacing his head. How insanely low-effort.