Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

It's a brand new movie, people.

Second one is damaged.

and is also opened from the outside thus some on else has to be there etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Is it wrong that I find it hilarious to be discussing subtlety in a movie that's basically Transformers/Ultra Man/Johnny Socko's Flying Robot fighting Godzilla and King Ghidorah? I'll cop to not having seen Pacific Rim yet (and I want to) but I'm not going into it expecting Kubrick levels of subtlety.

Or any subtlety, really.

Cause, you know, giant monsters vs. giant robots and poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Is it wrong that I find it hilarious to be discussing subtlety in a movie that's basically Transformers/Ultra Man/Johnny Socko's Flying Robot fighting Godzilla and King Ghidorah? I'll cop to not having seen Pacific Rim yet (and I want to) but I'm not going into it expecting Kubrick levels of subtlety.

Or any subtlety, really.

When you're dealing with that kind of scale, anything less than a rocket punch is subtle.

KoB
May 1, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Or any subtlety, really.

Not necessarily subtle, but I'd say that it just has lots of little neat touches that add to the experience.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

BiggerBoat posted:

Or any subtlety, really.

This is a Guillermo Del Toro movie, who is a pretty sharp guy and even his low brow movies tend to have clever touches.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
Speaking about Pacific Rim, I thought it was cute how after Gipsy Danger vents her coolant to freeze the tail of the second Hong Kong kaiju, we see a WARNING: COOLANT LOW signal flashing as she returns to base after the sword thing.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
In Django Unchained there's a nice bit of wardrobe regarding Old Man Carrucan's short scene. He's wearing yellow sunglasses. There's a murky anecdote that yellow tinted glasses were prescribed to people suffering syphilis in order for their eyes to cope with the extra sensitivity to light.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I just noticed another one in Children of Men: Early in the film, Theo visits his cousin in this huge museum storing hundreds of great works of art, collected together because no-one knows what else to do. He sees Michelangelo's David, which has lost a foot, presumably in the chaos of whatever's going on outside of Britain. His cousin specifically points this out. Later in the movie, Theo kills this one crooked cop, Syd, by hitting him in the head with a cinderblock or something. Moments later he steps on something--he's barefoot--and swears.

It's a bit of a long shot, but the movie's full of biblical allusions and that sort of thing.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Professor Shark posted:

I just finished watching Primer, and a lot of things that I overlooked from the beginning of the movie made much more sense towards the end/ after I thought about it for a bit.

What a good movie though, I cannot believe that I hadn't heard about it before now.

My favorite thing on the re-watch of Prime was how in-control and cocky Aaron was the whole time. A good example would be the conversation between Abe and Aaron at the bench. Aaron is wearing his headphones. Later we find out he is listening to version of himself that has recorded all the events of the day. So he always knows what is going to happen. Anyway, they have a short exchange like:
Abe: March Madness?
Aaron: It's Carolina and Michigan.
Abe: Who's winning?
Aaron: I don't even know. What?
That totally slipped past me, just like it did Abe. But it's obvious Aaron was lying. It should be apparent the headphones are important. Apparent Aaron is lying. There are a thousand moments like this that should tell you Aaron has won before we even see the fight start.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Krazyface posted:

I just noticed another one in Children of Men: Early in the film, Theo visits his cousin in this huge museum storing hundreds of great works of art, collected together because no-one knows what else to do. He sees Michelangelo's David, which has lost a foot, presumably in the chaos of whatever's going on outside of Britain. His cousin specifically points this out. Later in the movie, Theo kills this one crooked cop, Syd, by hitting him in the head with a cinderblock or something. Moments later he steps on something--he's barefoot--and swears.

It's a bit of a long shot, but the movie's full of biblical allusions and that sort of thing.

What biblical tale is this a reference to?

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Frostwerks posted:

What biblical tale is this a reference to?

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest David & Goliath.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Krazyface posted:

It's a car battery. Anyone who has ever lifted one knows how devastating that would have been.

Nothing subtle about it; just a little detail from my favourite movie.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
I can't remember if this one's been posted as there's been a lot of Shutter Island posts in this thread, but in the scene where Teddy and Chuck are interviewing a female patient early in the movie, they ask her about the mysteriously absent Dr. Sheehan. The female patient describes him as "not too hard on the eyes", to which Chuck gives a little grin. Chuck is, of course, Dr. Sheehan playing his part in Teddy's role play, so naturally he'd smile at that remark.

Nothing groundbreaking, but I thought that was kinda neat.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

OilSlick posted:

I can't remember if this one's been posted as there's been a lot of Shutter Island posts in this thread, but in the scene where Teddy and Chuck are interviewing a female patient early in the movie, they ask her about the mysteriously absent Dr. Sheehan. The female patient describes him as "not too hard on the eyes", to which Chuck gives a little grin. Chuck is, of course, Dr. Sheehan playing his part in Teddy's role play, so naturally he'd smile at that remark.

Shutter Island is one of those movies that really demands a rewatch after you've seen it the first time. I like movies like that, especially when I don't see the telegraphed twist coming.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

OilSlick posted:

She also nervously glances at him before answering the question, which he responds to with a knowing look.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
Re-watched Who Framed Roger Rabbit? last night, which of course has a number of things going on in the background when the toons are around, especially in the Maroon Studios lot at the beginning of the movie. When Valiant is in Maroon's office, getting the job to take the photos of Jessica & Acme, he looks out the window to see some workers moving a crate. They drop it, and a bunch of toon chairs pop out and start going crazy. One of the workers shouts "Grab the orchestra!" as the chairs start dodging all their efforts to grab them. Sure enough, the toons are playing instruments, but more like big band instruments. That's when the pun hit me.

They're musical chairs.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

VanSandman posted:

Shutter Island is one of those movies that really demands a rewatch after you've seen it the first time. I like movies like that, especially when I don't see the telegraphed twist coming.

Agreed. Momento is like that too. I'd already read Shutter Island before I saw the film so I knew the twist but still wanted to re-watch it. The Sixth Sense falls into this category s well. It's a whole different experience re-watching them once you know the reveal and you can watch them with new eyes.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

alpha_destroy posted:

My favorite thing on the re-watch of Prime was how in-control and cocky Aaron was the whole time. A good example would be the conversation between Abe and Aaron at the bench. Aaron is wearing his headphones. Later we find out he is listening to version of himself that has recorded all the events of the day. So he always knows what is going to happen. Anyway, they have a short exchange like:
Abe: March Madness?
Aaron: It's Carolina and Michigan.
Abe: Who's winning?
Aaron: I don't even know. What?
That totally slipped past me, just like it did Abe. But it's obvious Aaron was lying. It should be apparent the headphones are important. Apparent Aaron is lying. There are a thousand moments like this that should tell you Aaron has won before we even see the fight start.

How did you interpret the ending? If I read it correctly, Aaron intended to fill the building-sized machine with air tanks and food, then travel back even further (?)

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

VanSandman posted:

Shutter Island is the most depressing case of confirmation bias known to man. It hid its twist so well that people didn't see it because they thought they had figured the twist out from the trailer :ughh:

Goofus Giraffe
Sep 26, 2007

Krazyface posted:

I'd argue that the damage to David is more of an allusion to the Fisher King myth. A king is wounded, with this wound occurring in the foot or leg in some versions of the myth. This wound leads to his lands becoming infertile. This works well with the content of the film itself, especially due to the ending section of the credits alluding to Eliot's The Wasteland, which itself is heavily based off of the Fisher King myth. You could even say that Theo's cousin's art hoarding is a take on "These fragments I have shored against my ruins."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The Back to the Future series is one of my favorite trilogies...I never noticed this small thing until just now, when taking a little quiz thing about BTTF II on Buzzfeed:

Not the Doc Brown part, obviously.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
The 2015 paper is also fun

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

The Back to the Future series is one of my favorite trilogies...I never noticed this small thing until just now, when taking a little quiz thing about BTTF II on Buzzfeed:

Not the Doc Brown part, obviously.

I never realized BttF takes place in the same canon as Watchmen.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

NienNunb posted:

Only the Biff-verse.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper... "Hello? Anybody home? Think McFly, THINK!"

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

NienNunb posted:

Memento and Dark Knight are in the same cannon: the doctor from the Memento flash backs moves up from treating everyday people to having his own practice catering to the upper class of Gotham.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

How did you interpret the ending? If I read it correctly, Aaron intended to fill the building-sized machine with air tanks and food, then travel back even further (?)

"It won't go back far enough."

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

Goofus Giraffe posted:

I'd argue that the damage to David is more of an allusion to the Fisher King myth. A king is wounded, with this wound occurring in the foot or leg in some versions of the myth. This wound leads to his lands becoming infertile. This works well with the content of the film itself, especially due to the ending section of the credits alluding to Eliot's The Wasteland, which itself is heavily based off of the Fisher King myth. You could even say that Theo's cousin's art hoarding is a take on "These fragments I have shored against my ruins."

It's also an allusion to Nebuchadnezzar's Dream - the idealised society is fundamentally fragile and will eventually crumble because it's built on poor foundations, etc. The verse contains another fun link to the theme of the film -

Daniel 2:41-43 posted:

And whereas thou sawest iron mixed with miry clay, they shall mingle themselves with the seed of men: but they shall not cleave one to another

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
All the talk about Primer... I was unimpressed by the movie and caught the twist way too early but I might have to watch it again.

I did, however, watch Disney's Hercules over the weekend and there's a point where he's posing for a painting wearing a lion head crown and he throws it on the ground. The lion's head is Scar's from "The Lion King". Made me chuckle.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Re-watched Who Framed Roger Rabbit? last night, which of course has a number of things going on in the background when the toons are around, especially in the Maroon Studios lot at the beginning of the movie. When Valiant is in Maroon's office, getting the job to take the photos of Jessica & Acme, he looks out the window to see some workers moving a crate. They drop it, and a bunch of toon chairs pop out and start going crazy. One of the workers shouts "Grab the orchestra!" as the chairs start dodging all their efforts to grab them. Sure enough, the toons are playing instruments, but more like big band instruments. That's when the pun hit me.

They're musical chairs.

I re-watched this the other day and realized toons represent a racial minority. Then I looked that up on the internet and sure enough someone has written a whole essay on racial subtext in Who Framed Roger Rabbit

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

CyberLord XP posted:

I re-watched this the other day and realized toons represent a racial minority. Then I looked that up on the internet and sure enough someone has written a whole essay on racial subtext in Who Framed Roger Rabbit

This is some surface level poo poo.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

scary ghost dog posted:

This is some surface level poo poo.

And yet, the film is far more subtle than the book. The book mentions how humanoid toons like Jessica can pass off as human. Even changing the way they speak to seem more human. Oh yeah, and the nonhumanoid toons are refereed to as Barnyards. Yup.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
The movie has humanoid toons passing as human by changing the way they speak as well.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

scary ghost dog posted:

The movie has humanoid toons passing as human by changing the way they speak as well.

"Remember ME, Eddie?! When I KILLED your brother, I talked... JUST. LIKE. THIIIIIS!"

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Isn't Who Framed Roger Rabbit basically a half-cartoon remake of Chinatown, anyway?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Pretty much, but with 46% less incest.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Between WFRR? and Rango, more cartoons needs to lift their plots from Roman Polanski movies.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Probably not ones for children though.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Between WFRR? and Rango, more cartoons needs to lift their plots from Roman Polanski movies.

I for one am really looking forwards to Princess Meridia's baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

I for one am really looking forwards to Princess Meridia's baby.

So is Polanski.