Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

stuff about the HPM series

Nice score, it all looks great together. Glad you like the sound too.

I use these for cheap speaker stands:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50205198/

There's a bunch of sizes in the drop down, depending on what your speaker dimensions are. My stands stick out of the back of the speaker about an inch but no one looks back there, you can't tell from the front or sides really.

I stuck a layer of adhesive backed cork on top and trimmed around the legs. You could probably cut a piece of wood out and put that on top of them too, I had the cork laying around. I guess you could fill the legs with some BBs or lead shot too if you wanted to, they're hollow and capped at the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Due to having a load of things more important to spend money on or save money for than records, I have been spending money on records the past couple of days.

On the right is the Japanese release of 'Fantasma' by Cornelius, which set me back all of $4, and is a hugely nostalgic album for me. On the left is 芸能山城組 - '恐山/銅之剣舞' (Geinoh Yamashirogumi - 'Osorezan / Doh No Kembai') which I finally succumbed to. I’d been after this for a while and desire got the better of me and I have it now and I am happy. It's in beautiful condition, basically as new as an album from 1976 could look, other than a rip on the obi and who cares about that. I am so happy to have this.

Not pictured: grown man crying.

I also picked up these:

Cornelius - '69/96'.
Beck - 'Mellow Gold', not the reissue, not an exciting colour or anything, but it was cheap and I didn't have it and love it.
The Apples in Stereo - 'Fun Trick Noisemaker' as I had the reissue, but it skips loads for me (I think it is my setup rather than the record) and found a cheap copy of the first release so picked it up. Now I have one to look at and one to listen to.
Talking Heads - 'Fear of Music' thus completing my Talking Heads collection. It's is a little warped but not enough to affect playing, just needs a clean which I’ll do at some point.
Neil Young - 'Comes a Time'.
Mudhoney - 'Mudhoney' reissue on pink vinyl.
Tom Waits - 'Heartattack and Vine' (warped to gently caress, but going to try and save it).
Radiohead - 'Hail To The Thief', which was sealed (I opened it).
Vangelis - 'Blade Runner OST' (numbered reissue on red vinyl).
Mercury Rev - 'Yerself Is Steam' (the Beggars Banquet version) as I have never heard it all the way through.
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - 'Now I Got Worry'.
Patti Smith Group - 'Easter'.
Architecture in Helsinki - 'Moment Bends'.
Sonic Youth - '100%'.
Todd Rundgren - ‘Something / Anything’.

Typing it out makes me realise how overboard I went. I didn't spend that much but I basically have to stop buying records now.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

shmee posted:

Hmm it says my order is expected to ship tomorrow.. I'll take that with a grain of salt for now.

Ditto. ("Today" now, rather than "Tomorrow"). We'll see if these get sent for real.

EDIT: Shipped!

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 30, 2013

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

shmee posted:

Tom Waits - 'Heartattack and Vine' (warped to gently caress, but going to try and save it).

Depending on the nature of the warp, a record clamp could help. Record clamps are one of those things that audiophiles pay hundreds for, but you can easily make one yourself. Here's how:

1.) Get the plastic top of a peanut butter (or similar) jar; you don't want it to be any wider than the label/deadwax.
2.) Poke/drill a hole in it that's a bit smaller than your turntable's spindle, so that it'll fit nice and tight.
3.) Put record on turntable.
4.) Place jar top upside-down onto spindle, press down as far as it'll go.

The jar top will apply downward pressure and should make the LP flat, or at least a lot flatter.

It doesn't work as well for those stubborn little edge warps, but it can help a lot with warps that sweep across the whole surface of the record. I have records that skip without the DIY clamp, but play perfectly with it.

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 30, 2013

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

I'll give it a try, thanks. It sounds like it would help with some of the minor-ly warped things I own.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

shmee posted:

Due to having a load of things more important to spend money on or save money for than records, I have been spending money on records the past couple of days.

On the right is the Japanese release of 'Fantasma' by Cornelius, which set me back all of $4, and is a hugely nostalgic album for me. On the left is 芸能山城組 - '恐山/銅之剣舞' (Geinoh Yamashirogumi - 'Osorezan / Doh No Kembai') which I finally succumbed to. I’d been after this for a while and desire got the better of me and I have it now and I am happy. It's in beautiful condition, basically as new as an album from 1976 could look, other than a rip on the obi and who cares about that. I am so happy to have this.

I also picked up these:

Cornelius - '69/96'.
Beck - 'Mellow Gold', not the reissue, not an exciting colour or anything, but it was cheap and I didn't have it and love it.
The Apples in Stereo - 'Fun Trick Noisemaker' as I had the reissue, but it skips loads for me (I think it is my setup rather than the record) and found a cheap copy of the first release so picked it up. Now I have one to look at and one to listen to.
Talking Heads - 'Fear of Music' thus completing my Talking Heads collection. It's is a little warped but not enough to affect playing, just needs a clean which I’ll do at some point.
Mercury Rev - 'Yerself Is Steam' (the Beggars Banquet version) as I have never heard it all the way through.
Sonic Youth - '100%'.

Typing it out makes me realise how overboard I went. I didn't spend that much but I basically have to stop buying records now.

I'm too scared to buy this many records at once after being burned by low quality/worn-out vinyls one too many times. Are you buying used or new? I'd love to own Fantasma. I was obsessed with it when I was 14 (I'm now 27)... one of my first "good music" experiences. You got a pretty nice haul, though. Good taste.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Can we get the title changed to Lets Talk About Vinyls

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

No.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Not until vinyl stops being dramatic.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

shmee posted:

I love that Cornelius album. It seems everything I want to own on vinyl recently is extremely expensive. I'm sorry, I just can't spend $70+ on an album just because it is no longer in print. Where did you get that for $4?

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
It looks like he/she might live in Japan. That was my uneducated guess when I first read the post. I'd really love Point on vinyl. I'm swearing off eBay. Too many people selling garbage for way too much money. Anyone else avoid buying vinyl online?

My latest purchase:

The Crying Princess:78 rpm Records From Burma

I also just got Amon Duul II Wolf City & Circus in Babylon. Oh yeah, and this sweet album:

Pretty pleased.

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 30, 2013

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

alg posted:

Can we get the title changed to Lets Talk About Vinyls

Opening shot of 'Empire Records'

CD's.

Vinyls (there's another sign inside that says Vinyls too).

I can't help but think this HAS to be on purpose, knowing it would make blood boil.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Selling some stuff in SA-Mart

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

lil mortimer posted:

It looks like he/she might live in Japan. That was my uneducated guess when I first read the post. I'd really love Point on vinyl. I'm swearing off eBay. Too many people selling garbage for way too much money. Anyone else avoid buying vinyl online?

My latest purchase:

I also just got Amon Duul II Wolf City & Circus in Babylon. Oh yeah, and this sweet album:

Pretty pleased.

I figured they probably live in Japan. Looks like a discogs seller has one for $32.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

lil mortimer posted:

Brilliant, you are probably already familiar with the work of Jonathan Ward over at https://excavatedshellac.com. That guy has some crazy rare stuff from all over the world that you just don't hear anywhere. They aren't playing rare world music 78s on the radio here at least.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

shmee posted:

I also picked up these:

Cornelius - '69/96'.
Sonic Youth - '100%'.

Hi, I just want to say that I hate you for being able to get a copy of Mellow Gold for cheap. And presumably for finding it in an actual store too.

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
Just put all of my vinyl up for sale http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3562543

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Chill Callahan posted:

Yeah, some don't. I was just curious what you did to the insides to get it to sound so much better.

I cleaned them.

More specifically, I think crud in the L/R balance potentiometer was to blame. When I first saw the receiver, the left channel (and the right, to a lesser extent) would intermittently work and crackle on and off as I turned the balance knob- that's also how I figured that I had something (probably) easily salvageable and that the left channel wasn't really totally shot like the Craigslist posting had initially said. Turning all of the knobs from side to side a bunch did a fair bit to get the thing performing semi-consistently and spending a couple of hours getting as much dust and crap out of its guts as I could also did a lot (it was also necessary to minimize the potential fire risk since like 20% of the chassis is occupied by a MASSIVE radiator which throws off about as much heat as you'd imagine).

I'd say that the *extremely liberal* application of Deoxit and lube to all of the potentiometers, levers, and assorted contacts probably did the most, though. I don't care what brand name you buy it under, a proper dose of contact cleaner can absolutely rejuvenate a formerly crackly, rusted-out piece of gear.

Aw, word! Thanks for that. Given that they're hollow metal- have you ever noticed any issues with vibrations or ringing? Regardless, they definitely look nicer than the bricks the seller suggested I use. That said, I want to get the speakers about a foot or more off of the ground. I think I'm going to pick up some white milk crates from the Container Store and use those. They should hold up and not look too lovely, right?

Also:

My copy of the deluxe Trouble Will Find Me arrived yesterday and it owns...though I've already listened to the album like 50 times.

15 art cards, and each one is wildly different (they all have either lyrics or credits or liner notes on the back).

The two on the bottom are the sleeves.

Now I just need the requisite plastic bag for it. Fortunately, it's about the same size as your standard box set (like the kind classical music or opera often come in)...

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

lil mortimer posted:

It looks like he/she might live in Japan. That was my uneducated guess when I first read the post.

Yep, that's right. It's a mixed blessing, everything seems to be either much cheaper than at home (I'm from England) or much more expensive. I'm trying to only go record shopping during the week as people over here are serious about flicking through the records and I like to take my time so I just get in the way. Plus the genres can be a little.. odd. Though seeing the U2 single '11 O'Clock Tick Tock' in "Avant Garde / Noise" made me laugh.

Next time I am in Osaka intending to go to Time Bomb Records again, it's pretty awesome - http://timebomb.co.jp/index_en.html
King King is pretty good too - http://kingkong-music.com/

lil mortimer posted:

I'm too scared to buy this many records at once after being burned by low quality/worn-out vinyls one too many times. Are you buying used or new? I'd love to own Fantasma. I was obsessed with it when I was 14 (I'm now 27)... one of my first "good music" experiences. You got a pretty nice haul, though. Good taste.

Hey thanks.

I buy stuff used pretty much, though the Blade Runner was new. I buy everything to listen to so tend to get cheap and battered copies if they sound alright. I just wander into Disc Union which is a fairly large chain of new and used record stores over here and buy up anything I like the look of (though I need to stop doing that soon). I generally take risks and have only been burnt very occasionally. And to be honest they usually write any problems with the records on the tags on the records and will let you look or listen to them before you buy. I am just lazy.

So far my copy of Tom Waits' 'Heartattack and Vine' is warped and needs some work (but cost me like $4 so I was expecting as such), my copy of Air's 'Moon Safari' looks like someone kicked it around the floor so is unlistenable :smith: and my first copy of Boards of Canada's 'In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country' has a ding during the title track, which broke my heart until I found another copy. Oh and I am not sure if my 'Yerself Is Steam' is scratched, I think it might be a bit of stuck on dirt so I need to give that a clean. Didn't really affect anything much though, I can cope with a little skip.

I was obsessed with 'Fantasma' when I was younger too, especially with how 'Magoo Opening' is both extremely cheery and oddly aggressive. My wife actually found it for me, as I played her these videos in disgust at her not knowing any Cornelius stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDcouGIvDi4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf9b120fVH8

I need to get a copy of "Bend It! Japan 98" at some point for the second song - http://www.discogs.com/Various-Bend-It-Japan-98/release/3231683

Anyway she liked them and found the album whilst we were out shopping. She'd always dismissed Cornelius as she hated Flipper's Guitar.

CPL593H posted:

Hi, I just want to say that I hate you for being able to get a copy of Mellow Gold for cheap. And presumably for finding it in an actual store too.

Thank you for your hatred.

Me in Reverse posted:

Ditto. ("Today" now, rather than "Tomorrow"). We'll see if these get sent for real.

EDIT: Shipped!

Mine's scheduled to ship today woo!

Edit: They cancelled two of the items and delayed shipping for three weeks or something. Not so woo! Had to order some new stuff to make myself feel better.

shmee fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 1, 2013

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
So uhhhhhhhh I just ordered a mono Japanese reissue of the Beatles' Revolver on red vinyl for $7.60 including shipping. I hope this is legit because god drat.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Does anyone have any experience with Audio Fidelity remasters?

I've decided that I want some more Kate Bush LPs (namely, almost all of them) and was looking at the 2010 Hounds of Love reissue. It's marbleized grey/pink like the 1985 US special edition, and it looks like I can get one for ~$30. Thing is, I can get a VG+/NM/whatever original, also marbleized, for around $20 or less via discogs.

Now outside of the obvious stuff (buying new vs. used, dishonest seller descriptions, album/sleeve wear, etc.) is there any real benefit or detriment to the reissue over the original? It's "180-gram audiophile grade" and has apparently been remastered by a dude who had absolutely nothing to do with the original release.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Electric Bugaloo posted:

My copy of the deluxe Trouble Will Find Me arrived yesterday and it owns...though I've already listened to the album like 50 times.

Goddamn, that looks nice. My shipping notice just showed up today so I should get it soon.

In the time it took for this record to get here, I realized that my player was super lovely and put all my records in storage until I could afford a new turntable.
This box might convince me to drop some money on the Audio-Technica AT-LP120.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cloks posted:

This box might convince me to drop some money on the Audio-Technica AT-LP120.

I think that's my go-to 'new turntable recommendation' for 99% of people these days. Just make sure you get one with the AT-95E (sometimes listed as "Audio Technica 95E," or simply "95E") cartridge and not the old DJ one it used to ship with.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
New things!!! :woop:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

david puddy posted:

So uhhhhhhhh I just ordered a mono Japanese reissue of the Beatles' Revolver on red vinyl for $7.60 including shipping. I hope this is legit because god drat.

If discogs is to be believed what you have is a 1986 reissue. So it's an officially released copy, but it's a later pressing. Not that there's anything wrong with that. And at that price, I'd say you did pretty good.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Audio Fidelity remasters?

I bought the Blade Runner soundtrack LP they recently release and I almost crapped my pants when I heard how good it sounds. Beyond that I don't own anything else they've released.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I think that's my go-to 'new turntable recommendation' for 99% of people these days. Just make sure you get one with the AT-95E (sometimes listed as "Audio Technica 95E," or simply "95E") cartridge and not the old DJ one it used to ship with.

Yes, this is important. The older ones came with a cart that used 3.5 grams for the tracking force.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

CPL593H posted:

Yes, this is important. The older ones came with a cart that used 3.5 grams for the tracking force.

Which is fine for a spherical profile. I swear this thread is like Groundhog Day sometimes. (In a good way)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

Which is fine for a spherical profile. I swear this thread is like Groundhog Day sometimes. (In a good way)

Well also, having used said cart, it's just not as good as the one I put on it later (AT440MLa).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ron Burgundy posted:

Yeah, but it still sounds pretty crappy compared to the new one, so if you're gonna spend the money on the table you might as well check.

CPL593H posted:

Well also, having used said cart, it's just not as good as the one I put on it later (AT440MLa).

Well, I'd definitely hope so. That's a $200 cart.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
I've no doubt the OEM cart was the crappiest piece of crap ever, but it's important to remember that there are some high end spherical carts that track at high forces. Most of the spherical Ortofon SPU carts track at 4 grams.

Can't tar all high weight things with the crap brush.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Me put needle on black circle. Sound come out.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
But don't you dare do it on a belt drive :argh:

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
Hello, I'd just like to say that I am an idiot and I should not be allowed anywhere near my savings again or possibly banned from using discogs for the sake of my wallet.

By the way, I meant to ask about sleeves for records ... at the moment I haven't got anything protecting them, so I'm thinking about getting some PVC sleeves for the lot, but I can't find a good way to protect those big triple albums, which I've got a few of. Does anyone know some sort of PVC sleeve that would be appropriate for those?

landofcake fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 31, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

landofcake posted:

Hello, I'd just like to say that I am an idiot and I should not be allowed anywhere near my savings again or possibly banned from using discogs for the sake of my wallet.

Oooh- what'dya buy?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Took forever to get here but Goodbye Horses sounds amazing. Waiting for my neighbors to call the cops.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Awwww yeeee

http://modern-vinyl.com/2013/08/01/invada-to-press-cliff-martinezs-solaris/

As expensive as Drive was from Invada, and with the massive delay, I am pumped for this.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Gah, my Oblivion OST makes a popping sound every full rotation on side A, but I can't see any scratches on the record. :( Could this be static? Or something wrong with the grooves themselves? At least the second record is perfectly clean, the last half of the soundtrack is my favorite.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Dr. Lenin posted:

Gah, my Oblivion OST makes a popping sound every full rotation on side A, but I can't see any scratches on the record. :( Could this be static? Or something wrong with the grooves themselves? At least the second record is perfectly clean, the last half of the soundtrack is my favorite.

That sounds like a fill error. I forget the exact term, but basically they screwed up during the pressing process.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

So this new label just launched their first release. It's the soundtrack to The Re-Animator. It's been remastered from the original tapes and comes on green vinyl. The cover art is pretty awesome too. Glow in the dark copies of the LP will be randomly inserted into orders.

http://waxworkrecords.com/shop/

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

Just received my ATLP120 yesterday. Super stoked to set it up and break it in when I get home from work tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Me in Reverse posted:

What would you dudes pay for this, in perfect working order?

I know this is from a while back, but at the very least, you can always pull out the guts and turn it into a simple cabinet. As far as cases go, that's a swell cabinet you got there.

I've got two record consoles, and the one I absolutely will not part with no matter what because it is my baby, and the second one will probably be gutted and turned into a wet bar with a mini-fridge.

Like I said, at the very least, you've got a fine piece of furniture that can be turned into something else, something unique.

President Kucinich fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 1, 2013