Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
Lisp is a homo lang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

quote:

For example below we translate to the point (500px, 200px), rotate by 180deg, scale by .5, skew, and alter colors within a 2 second duration. Once the animation is complete we then() fade out the element by setting the opacity to 0, and shrink it with scale(0.1).

code:
move('.square')
  .to(500, 200)
  .rotate(180)
  .scale(.5)
  .set('background-color', '#888')
  .set('border-color', 'black')
  .duration('2s')
  .skew(50, -10)
  .then()
    .set('opacity', 0)
    .duration('0.3s')
    .scale(0.1)
    .pop()
  .end();

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
the little schemer doesn't go very deep into the language, it's more of an introduction to functional programming through lisp than an introduction to lisp. it's a lot of fun tho and reading it first makes parts of sicp easier to follow

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
i think call/cc gets introduced somewhere in the seasoned shcemer

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

FamDav posted:

Lisp is a homo lang

why do you think the largest collection of emacs users on the planet is in san francisco?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
e: no-one cares

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 29, 2013

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot

coffeetable posted:

no-one cares

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
if you were going to kill yourself using something controlled by a programming language, what language would you choose? would you try and be ironic about it in your death and use an excel macro to start a power drill laid over your heart while you sleep? would you use php so you would die from ridicule during the process?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

i would use java so i could get collected with the rest of the garbage

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
I would use C++ and blow my whole leg off.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i would use perl so nobody would understand why i did it

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
use perl6 so you can live an additional 10 years

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
use ruby and make the front page of hn

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i would use haskell so i would decompose easily

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
we're hiring full-stack engineers to help disrupt big suicide

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
come build beautiful suicides with death.ly

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
if i did it i would use c so i could just goto theEnd.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
if i did it i would use smalltalk so i could pass a few messages before i went

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
it depends on if it was a cry for help or i just wanted to get it done

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

uG posted:

if you were going to kill yourself using something controlled by a programming language, what language would you choose? would you try and be ironic about it in your death and use an excel macro to start a power drill laid over your heart while you sleep? would you use php so you would die from ridicule during the process?

trick question, all of us are already killing ourselves with programming languages

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Computer scientists develop mathematical jigsaw puzzles to encrypt software
Tue, 07/30/2013 - 9:28am

UCLA computer science professor Amit Sahai and a team of researchers have designed a system to encrypt software so that it only allows someone to use a program as intended while preventing any deciphering of the code behind it. This is known in computer science as "software obfuscation," and it is the first time it has been accomplished.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

UCLA computer science professor Amit Sahai and a team of researchers have designed a system to encrypt software so that it only allows someone to use a program as intended while preventing any deciphering of the code behind it. This is known in computer science as "software obfuscation," and it is the first time it has been accomplished.

ahem

http://perldoc.perl.org/perlfilter.html

This article originally appeared in The Perl Journal #11, and is copyright 1998 The Perl Journal. It appears courtesy of Jon Orwant and The Perl Journal. This document may be distributed under the same terms as Perl itself.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

this is big news

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

article posted:

"You write your software in a nice, reasonable, human-understandable way and then feed that software to our system," Sahai said. "It will output this mathematically transformed piece of software that would be equivalent in functionality, but when you look at it, you would have no idea what it's doing."

this is how my code already looks

ive been coding from the future literally this entire time :smogdug:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

i'd kill myself with python because there's a builtin already

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
yeah but you'd inevitably want to kill yourself while programming python so you still need a different way to kill yourself

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

http://search.cpan.org/dist/Acme-EyeDrops/lib/Acme/EyeDrops.pm

This is a level beyond unreadable code. I call it unreadable code 2.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

uG posted:

yeah but you'd inevitably want to kill yourself while programming python so you still need a different way to kill yourself

okay okay, i got one

i'd kill myself in erlang because then all my body parts would arrive at ... different.. mail boxes? gently caress i got lost

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i would use objective c and then use GCD to dispatch myself

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

not only am i a terrible programmer but im terrible at making programming jokes

will i ever find a place i can call home

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i kill would MPI myself use

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
reading sicp and it's really neat the way it explains tail recursion separating the idea of recursive procedures from recursive processes. also loving all the numerical examples. those are my terrible programmer's first impressions on this book thanks for reading.

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
chapter 4 was a lot of fun when i read that book. i was sorta surprised how excited i was going thru it. thats my sicp story hope you enjnyed

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
In the past week, I pulled an all nighter at a hackathon just to find out they threw out my backend code because "the frontend didn't look the way I imagined". I went to a meetup for civic coding, ended up being the only experienced programmer that knows git, and taught a group of designers how to use git and github to manage their 5k+ lines of single file javascript.

I'm unemployed, broke, and living with relatives after quitting my last job due to worse than php language and horrible location that made my depression worse.

gently caress I'm really depressed now.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

wolffenstein posted:

In the past week, I pulled an all nighter at a hackathon just to find out they threw out my backend code because "the frontend didn't look the way I imagined". I went to a meetup for civic coding, ended up being the only experienced programmer that knows git, and taught a group of designers how to use git and github to manage their 5k+ lines of single file javascript.

I'm unemployed, broke, and living with relatives after quitting my last job due to worse than php language and horrible location that made my depression worse.

is this a real post bc if so drat you can do better don't give up man

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

wolffenstein posted:

keep trying, don't give up man. Network, network, network and make sure you take your resume over to http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553582 and ask them to see if there's anything glaringly wrong with it

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Mido posted:

not only am i a terrible programmer but im terrible at making programming jokes

will i ever find a place i can call home

stop posting, anime av

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

jooky posted:

stop posting, anime av

:negative:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

jooky posted:

stop posting, anime av

yeah, an animetar haver's home sure as gently caress isn't yospos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i suddenly want to learn haskell is it a useful language in any regard?

• Locked thread