Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah, Sakaguchi's The Last Story is basically everything final fantasy wants to be nowadays. I have no idea why the game's not all that popular. It's loving rad.
The localization alone is light years better than XIII's. Actual jokes with comedic timing? And they're not awkward or forced? What a strange world we live in.

I just started that game and one of my party members is talking about having the shakes since she's had no booze for a few days. What the gently caress am I getting myself into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

The White Dragon posted:

Nah, the optimal loadout definitely includes Vivi with Reflect x2 and everyone with Auto-Reflect equipped. Reflect 9999 Bios on everything (except Ozma).

On my most recent FF9 playthrough I discovered you can get Bio just after Gizmaluke's Grotto by playing Chocobo Hot n Cold. At this point you're doing like 400 damage on Zidane a hit and Bio makes Vivi do over 1000 if you're lucky, it's ridiculous.

You can also just autoattack on Vivi for around the same damage as Zidane puts out since the Oak Staff or whatever has a relatively high attack stat for that point in the game. Made the entire of Burmecia/Cleyra/Disc 2 a cakewalk.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

but then Fang and Vanille become the big monster and save the day once God steps in and fixes everything (One wonders why God doesn't just put Cocoon down safely to spare Fang and Vanille an eternity of being a crystal pillar, but whatever).

God being Etro in this situation, right? Because if I remember right, she ends up loving something up whenever she helps out so I imagine if she tried to put Cocoon down she would end humanity in the process.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

tl;dr: I'm :spergin: and FFXIII doesn't have a plot. It's got a set up and then an ending.

Anytime you're ever wondering why the story in FFXIII doesn't make sense just remember the cutscenes were made independent of the script writers and the lead script writer didn't even know how he wanted to end the game until he saw the game's logo art.

FFXIII is probably my favorite of the combat engines in an FF game but like you said the story is paced without a conclusion in mind as though they were making filler episodes for an anime and just waiting for the manga to catch up.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The Horrible Secret of Animal Crossing Final Fantasy XIII.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Electric Phantasm posted:

God being Etro in this situation, right? Because if I remember right, she ends up loving something up whenever she helps out so I imagine if she tried to put Cocoon down she would end humanity in the process.

Which is precisely why FFXIII-2 happens, because of Etro's intervention at the end of FFXIII. She's done it before, with the same two people, and it resulted in the huge scar seen across Cocoon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Barudak posted:

Anytime you're ever wondering why the story in FFXIII doesn't make sense just remember the cutscenes were made independent of the script writers and the lead script writer didn't even know how he wanted to end the game until he saw the game's logo art.

FFXIII is probably my favorite of the combat engines in an FF game but like you said the story is paced without a conclusion in mind as though they were making filler episodes for an anime and just waiting for the manga to catch up.

FFXIII's combat system didn't really click for me until the Vercingtorix fight.

Yeah, the last superboss.

I mean, that fight was so fun. It absolutely demanded that the player constantly be switching paradigms, to read even the smallest tell, to know the most efficient way to increase the break meter, just constant movement and change and shifting. When I finished the fight I found myself wondering why the game didn't switch into that mode halfway through and only build from there, because that split-second paradigm shifting finally made me realize how cool the game really could've been.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Has Sakaguchi done anything since The Last Story?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Harrow posted:

I mean, that fight was so fun. It absolutely demanded that the player constantly be switching paradigms, to read even the smallest tell, to know the most efficient way to increase the break meter, just constant movement and change and shifting. When I finished the fight I found myself wondering why the game didn't switch into that mode halfway through and only build from there, because that split-second paradigm shifting finally made me realize how cool the game really could've been.

The game is at its absolute best when the fights move at the pace that the system can move at versus many of the boss fights in the game allowing you to be really slow and sloppy on switching between paradigms. I think one of the more interesting things is how hard a lot of people found the Cid boss fight because the game hadn't really demanded you be able to switch through 3-4 paradigms prior to that so people expected to coast by on their previous Offense/Heal duo.

Its a shame, of course, that the sloppy attitude towards the plot carried over to a lot of the boss fights when the game was practically begging for more things like Barthandalus and other puzzle battle fights that wouldn't have been possible or fun in older installments.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Level Slide posted:

Has Sakaguchi done anything since The Last Story?

According to Wikipedia, he made the surfing game Party Wave in 2012. That seems like somewhat of a waste of his talents...

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I just started that game and one of my party members is talking about having the shakes since she's had no booze for a few days. What the gently caress am I getting myself into?

The beginning is kind of :japan: but it improves by the time you get to the first dungeon.
Also, "Zael fell off the cliff" is one of the most unexpectedly hilarious lines ever to grace a video game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CottonWolf posted:

According to Wikipedia, he made the surfing game Party Wave in 2012. That seems like somewhat of a waste of his talents...
If I made six or seven Final Fantasy games and then four current-gen titles, I'd totally make a game about bass fishing or smoking weed in public places while evading the police.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yeah I know that Etro's intervention fucks things up, but if you're going to gently caress everything up so bad it kills capital T Time you might as well go whole hog and save everybody! You've already screwed the pooch, might as well try and make everyone happy as possible.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah I know that Etro's intervention fucks things up, but if you're going to gently caress everything up so bad it kills capital T Time you might as well go whole hog and save everybody! You've already screwed the pooch, might as well try and make everyone happy as possible.

I'm sure there is a datalog explaining that by loving up the timeline in her attempt to make everyone happy it fucks up the happyness back to a level that makes it look like she just did a poo poo job of saving everyone.

Also; Etro is a fashion company that at one point was semi famous for having their entire mens line modeled by dudes with absolutely massive beards and I feel like I'm the only one.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

http://www.somethingawful.com/fashion-swat/etros-beards/

Still better than XIII-2 and Lightning Return's outfits.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

I'd totally make a game about ... smoking weed in public places while evading the police.

This sounds brilliant. It should be an activity in Saints Row or something.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I was thinking more about the boob jiggling fiasco since Wired has a wonderful article proclaiming Final Fantasy as dead, and then I remembered that this was a thing that happened in FFVII. Not to mention what the developers did with Garnet in FFIX.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The Last Story sounds cool, but Wii only? :smith:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

I was thinking more about the boob jiggling fiasco since Wired has a wonderful article proclaiming Final Fantasy as dead, and then I remembered that this was a thing that happened in FFVII. Not to mention what the developers did with Garnet in FFIX.
Wait, what do you mean with the Garnet comment?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

1st AD posted:

The Last Story sounds cool, but Wii only? :smith:

Eh it's merely alright.

Though I say this just after rage quitting because of the final boss, so I might be a bit biased right now.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Bland posted:

Eh it's merely alright.

Though I say this just after rage quitting because of the final boss, so I might be a bit biased right now.

You made it to the final boss without quitting? Wow. I found it ridiculously clichéd and stopped after the castle.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

You made it to the final boss without quitting? Wow. I found it ridiculously clichéd and stopped after the castle.

Oh man did you ever miss a treat at the end

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Endorph posted:

Wait, what do you mean with the Garnet comment?

I can't remember where I read it, but I think in the art sketches for Garnet there was a weird obsession with her rear end size, and it's really evident in the modeling that they oversexualized her in that respect.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Bland posted:

Oh man did you ever miss a treat at the end

The world is threatened and can only be saved by these intrepid heroes? You make a pact to find and kill god?

EDIT:

Azure_Horizon posted:

I can't remember where I read it, but I think in the art sketches for Garnet there was a weird obsession with her rear end size, and it's really evident in the modeling that they oversexualized her in that respect.

We talking about the same Garnet?

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 31, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can't imagine getting to the last boss and stopping. The last boss of The Last Story is one of the more enjoyable ones because you might actually be at risk.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The world is threatened and can only be saved by these intrepid heroes? You make a pact to find and kill god?

Actually Cthulhu-God is completely a chill dude. Like he's a nice guy and just wants to return to the great beyond.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I can't imagine getting to the last boss and stopping. The last boss of The Last Story is one of the more enjoyable ones because you might actually be at risk.

Actually Cthulhu-God is completely a chill dude. Like he's a nice guy and just wants to return to the great beyond.

I think I was severely underlevelled because his second form took like 15-20 minutes and once he entered his third form He just started one shotting everyone.

Also the big cliche I was thinking of was your best friend and mentor was actually massively evil all along and he manipulated everyone, everywhere at all times and now he;s going to Finish You!!!!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

EDIT:

There's a scene in the game where Zidane basically grabs her rear end and makes a comment on how soft it is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bland posted:

I think I was severely underlevelled because his second form took like 15-20 minutes and once he entered his third form He just started one shotting everyone.

Same here, but that is why it was fun. It's one of the fights where you really have to use all of your weird kiting gimmicks which were the coolest part of the game.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

EDIT:

Her in-game model and her CGI one are vastly different from one another in this respect.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Same here, but that is why it was fun. It's one of the fights where you really have to use all of your weird kiting gimmicks which were the coolest part of the game.

I didn't really have a chance to use any strategies or gimmicks because he killed off Mirania pretty much as soon as the final part started and from then it's essentially GG. What annoyed me most was that I had to choose between going in for round two without levelling up or getting better gear, or head back and grind then go through essentially 4 boss fights to get back to where I died. Then I just decided, gently caress it, I'll do it some other time, maybe.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

W.T. Fits posted:

There's a scene in the game where Zidane basically grabs her rear end and makes a comment on how soft it is.

At least the game had the decency to have him realize what a creep he was being later on.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Speaking of being a creep, what's Setzer's deal? I never finished FFVI but I did make it to right when he has his first battle with your party. But before that he was introduced as this guy who swooped in and abducted women.

Bold, daring and flashy, but ultimately it seems more creepy than simply grabbing a girl's rear end.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Speaking of being a creep, what's Setzer's deal? I never finished FFVI but I did make it to right when he has his first battle with your party. But before that he was introduced as this guy who swooped in and abducted women.

Bold, daring and flashy, but ultimately it seems more creepy than simply grabbing a girl's rear end.

That pretty much just gets passed over and never mentioned again. I think it was supposed to be played as a sort of goofy Bowser-like thing ("Gwahaha, I'll kidnap the princess and she'll be mine!"), but in retrospect, because the game takes itself so seriously at other times, it kind of falls flat.

At least he has the decency to respect when he's been out-swindled, when Celes uses a double-headed coin.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
In an attempt to tide myself over until FFXIV launches, I grabbed the Android version of FFIV both to give me something to do until then and since I've generally seen it ranked in the top 3 or so Final Fantasy games.

Seriously, this is one of the best ones? I've done almost every single battle on auto (probably only excluding puzzle bosses like Golbez or CPU), almost all of the skills are pointless (hence all the battles on auto), the characters constantly "dying" makes me loathe to ever invest in them since I figure that they'll all leave eventually, and holy poo poo the inane plot twists in the story.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
IMO it sucks and is boring but some people like it for whatever reason.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FFIV gets ranked as highly as it does because, when it came out, it was kind of a "holy poo poo, video games can DO this?" sort of moment. It certainly wasn't the first game to have a story, or even a relatively complex one, but it was certainly one of the most popular, and it pretty much set the stage for every single Final Fantasy to follow. FFIV gets as much respect as it does because of what it represents, with a healthy sprinkling of nostalgia. I don't think it aged nearly as well as FFV or VI, though. If you didn't play it when you're a kid, you're probably not going to really love it, or even like it, as anything more than a historical curiosity--like, "I guess I should play FFIV because I like FF so much."

That said, I loved the DS version of FFIV. It updated things just enough--and juiced up the difficulty just enough--that it was a pretty fresh experience for me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

jpmeyer posted:

In an attempt to tide myself over until FFXIV launches, I grabbed the Android version of FFIV both to give me something to do until then and since I've generally seen it ranked in the top 3 or so Final Fantasy games.

Seriously, this is one of the best ones? I've done almost every single battle on auto (probably only excluding puzzle bosses like Golbez or CPU), almost all of the skills are pointless (hence all the battles on auto), the characters constantly "dying" makes me loathe to ever invest in them since I figure that they'll all leave eventually, and holy poo poo the inane plot twists in the story.

See the thread title and then reflect on the fact the story only gets worse from where you are in the game. It doesn't help many people don't like a lot of the tweaks that version of the game most especially the end game dungeon mobs being able to one shot the party with no way to counter it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I played FFIV (Advance) for the first time a couple years ago and I liked it a lot. The Moon stuff is major WTF but before that it's a pretty straight story and I dug it.

Besides, as crazy as it is, you hop in your new airship and go to the friggin' Moon.

It helps that I'd probably rank FFIV's OST as my favorite or second favorite FF soundtrack. So much goodness, in every possible area. Hearing "Red Wings" play as the forces of the world rally against the Tower of Babel is like a 2D version of when the forces of the world save you in FFIX while your party tries to enter Memoria. I can re-watch both scenes endlessly and they never lose their effectiveness.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Barudak posted:

See the thread title and then reflect on the fact the story only gets worse from where you are in the game. It doesn't help many people don't like a lot of the tweaks that version of the game most especially the end game dungeon mobs being able to one shot the party with no way to counter it.

Really? I was farming tails in there before going to the endboss (before learning that the mobile version only has 1 Limit Break augment rather than 2 and therefore probably isn't worth trying to fight the new game plus bosses) and I don't recall anyone being able to oneshot me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pringles_School
Jul 24, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

Eh

Zidane is the type of charachter this is actually least creepy on.

More playful type with a side of responsibility and less super-creep who fantasizes about boobs and asses. I know plenty of Zidane's in real life including some I can count to my closest friends.

Then again I DIDN'T play the english version, so I may have just come into contact with a translation (and it is a great translation) that strikes just the right balance.