Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RadicalR posted:

So... how long is SIV? I just watched Kaga die.

You've got a while yet to go. You're... about 1/3rd of the way through it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

About 40 hours, probably longer on the Neutral path. I found the back portion of the game went a lot faster, I was still around level 20-30 after 20 hours, but I beat the game in 40 hours at level 80.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Speaking of which, is there really no way to tell what your alignment is except the bars? Also, they haven't started say anything yet - "Like you're a nice guy."

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

No, and "You're a very polite man", means you're law. Hard to get a handle on is neutral, and I've never seen the chaos message.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cake Attack posted:

No, and "You're a very polite man", means you're law. Hard to get a handle on is neutral, and I've never seen the chaos message.

Chaos has him call you hot-blooded.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Wasn't today supposed to be the day something regarding who bought Atlus was going to be made public? I coulda sworn people were saying it was the 28th. Or was that just a baseless rumor?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Wasn't today supposed to be the day something regarding who bought Atlus was going to be made public? I coulda sworn people were saying it was the 28th. Or was that just a baseless rumor?

Probably just a baseless rumor.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So I'm thinking of starting up a new Strange Journey game. I went Neutral last time and never beat the last boss, unable to grind exp or macca effectively enough to get the right skills. I'm kind of interested in taking one of the alignment paths--any alignment reccomendations/MC build tips?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So I'm thinking of starting up a new Strange Journey game. I went Neutral last time and never beat the last boss, unable to grind exp or macca effectively enough to get the right skills. I'm kind of interested in taking one of the alignment paths--any alignment reccomendations/MC build tips?
The last boss is the same in the Law route, so I would consider Chaos. Also, as you're probably aware, the protagonist's skill set is really limited in SJ, being tied to your guns. If I were to replay it, I'd probably go with a physical build (at least, to the degree that you can actually customize your build).

Dec 26, 2012

Armor-Piercing posted:

The last boss is the same in the Law route, so I would consider Chaos. Also, as you're probably aware, the protagonist's skill set is really limited in SJ, being tied to your guns. If I were to replay it, I'd probably go with a physical build (at least, to the degree that you can actually customize your build).

Despite being Tech-specced, my protagonist decided to grow shitloads of agility because the specializations are very, very slight, so he got designated the healmonkey while three demons kept pounding away. It's mostly a matter of having repels in the right places (and NO WEAKNESSES, you can accomplish this by fusing with specific sources) and healing constantly.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I did the same. Frost Cannon is great for a really long time, but by the end you're stuck with a character with lower Magic and weaker skills, so tossing items is really all you can do with the MC (unless you're severely overleveled, I guess).

I was pretty tired of it by the end, and I wanted to start SMTIV, so I wound up grinding with one demon out until I hit level 80 and grabbing a single password demon with Jihad and Victory Cry to storm through the final dungeon.

BluPotato
Jul 18, 2006

So whats everyone's general opinion of the Digital Devil Saga, I was thinking of starting into them after coming off of SMTIV? Are they any good? Never heard much discussion about them.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

BluPotato posted:

So whats everyone's general opinion of the Digital Devil Saga, I was thinking of starting into them after coming off of SMTIV? Are they any good? Never heard much discussion about them.

I would consider them to be the best entries in the franchise next to Nocturne. They're great.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

BluPotato posted:

Digital Devil Saga is pretty cool, but very different from mainline SMT in a few different ways. Most notably, everyone has a set demon form that they can't change, however as you go along you can learn any skill.

The story's alright. Everything about the series kinda falls off in quality right at the final dungeon of the second game. If you play one, you should play both, because it's a single story split in half.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They're probably some of the best games Atlus has done, but you're gonna have to expect a bit of bullshit.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

BluPotato posted:

Really clever, great explorations of Hindu ideas in a cool video game, really annoying dungeons at times and the sequel has bizarre pacing that might ruin it for you. Definitely some of the best writing in the SMT umbrella, even if the overall ending is a bit weak.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

BluPotato posted:

Awesome aesthetic, great music, interesting story, but the dungeons are painful and the gameplay's pretty grindy.

BluPotato
Jul 18, 2006

Hey thanks everyone, sound like they are worth digging into for me then. I'll give them a try, I can usually ignore any annoyances in a RPG if it either has a great story or a good battle system.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
When do people start giving alignment indicators? And how far can you go one way before you can get it unscrewed?

I pretty much always go for Neutral endings because both the other alignments (or all 3 reasons) suck.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zoness posted:

When do people start giving alignment indicators? And how far can you go one way before you can get it unscrewed?

I pretty much always go for Neutral endings because both the other alignments (or all 3 reasons) suck.

Once you reach Shibuya, a Cynical Man will start appearing in every Tokyo bar, and he can tell you your alignment. "Polite" means law, "hot-headed" means chaos, and "hard to get a handle on" means neutral.

As a hint for getting the Neutral route: it's easier to get if you're slightly chaotic before going into the final choice, because there's a forced +5 law right before it. You have a bigger window for landing in the Neutral alignment zone if you're coming at it from the Chaos side and pick the Law choice.

SerialGhost
Dec 19, 2012

Excellent!

Rirse posted:

Wow, I wasted ten bucks buying Persona 1. I thought I enjoyed it last time I played the PSP release, but what brain dead idiot thought putting no save points in the Snow Queen towers? I am not going through that terrible dungeon again grinding to fight a loving boss who keeps putting everyone to sleep so I can't act. I figured at least you would get sent back to the last save or whatever, but nope back to title and back about seven levels.

I'm just going to skip this and move to Persona 2. Not like I was playing it to beat the game since I already did that in the past on the PS1 release.

Snow Queen is all about preparing for five billion hours and executing all kinds of specific strategies to win. It's bullshit but maybe you just aren't HARDCORE ENOUGH?!!?

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Gonna have to warn against you playing Digital Devil Saga. Together, they are a disappointment and feel like a waste of time.
The plot, gameplay and characters are all bad. Some of the music is pretty good but as a whole there are better SMT games to spend your time with.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

The_Frag_Man posted:

Gonna have to warn against you playing Digital Devil Saga. Together, they are a disappointment and feel like a waste of time.
The plot, gameplay and characters are all bad. Some of the music is pretty good but as a whole there are better SMT games to spend your time with.

Look man if you don't think Serph is the best character ever then yeah okay I pretty much agree with you.

I dunno I kind of liked the plot but that's probably because I like terrible plots like that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Gameplay was pretty solid. It's really just the Press Turn System, after all. I also rather liked the Mantra system (more so DDS1's version than the grid in DDS2) and liked being able to choose which abilities to use as opposed to losing them forever like in Nocturne.

I don't think the plot was bad overall but DDS2 was pretty darn goofy anyway.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Daaaammmmit. I got to the end of Day 6 in Devil Survivor and didn't have the Gin/Haru route available as an option. :( That's the one I wanted. I guess I'm going Yuzu on my first playthrough now.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

My biggest problem with DDS 2 is that if you go into the game without the knowledge of who's going to be in and out of your party (i.e, if you use anyone other than Gale and Cielo) then you have a shitload of grinding to look forward to.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ChiTownEddie posted:

Daaaammmmit. I got to the end of Day 6 in Devil Survivor and didn't have the Gin/Haru route available as an option. :( That's the one I wanted. I guess I'm going Yuzu on my first playthrough now.

Might as well get the Yuzu end out of the way! It's my least favorite though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Bland posted:

My biggest problem with DDS 2 is that if you go into the game without the knowledge of who's going to be in and out of your party (i.e, if you use anyone other than Gale and Cielo) then you have a shitload of grinding to look forward to.
Eh. That's why we have threads like this or the beforeiplay thread.

ChiTownEddie posted:

I don't know, the final day for Gin/Haru is probably the hardest one of the bunch.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

I don't know, the final day for Gin/Haru is probably the hardest one of the bunch.

It's still really not that bad if you have like a huge spike of magic as a stat, holy dance, and victory cry but yeah I guess you do fight the strongest demons and stuff.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Bland posted:

This is especially annoying because they didn't do this at all in DDS1 when you were playing with exactly the same characters, so it comes entirely out of left field. Especially if you never really used Cielo in DDS1 and are used to ignoring him. In fact it's depressingly easy to screw yourself over in DDS2 if you haven't used either of those two all game.

My issue with the plot of DDS in general is that DDS1 is pretty good when you play it blind, because it is raising all sorts of interesting questions about just what the gently caress is going on, and I enjoyed speculating about why things were happening, who knew who, etc.

Then DDS2 comes along, and it's not bad but it turns out the answers to all those questions were not quite as interesting or well-implemented as I was hoping for.

I'll say this for DDS though, the music is awesome. If you like Shoji Meguro most when he's just cutting loose on a rock guitar, this is the soundtrack for you.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Zoness posted:

It's still really not that bad if you have like a huge spike of magic as a stat, holy dance, and victory cry but yeah I guess you do fight the strongest demons and stuff.

My main char is rolling with 40magic drain and holy dance at the moment. Its nice :)

Welp, yeah, I figure I'll be replaying to get some more endings. Is the Day 8 in Overclocked (that is what Im playing) interesting?

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
DDS1 is my second favorite Megaten game but then the second came around and hosed it up. It felt like a huge step back considering the potential of the setting.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ChiTownEddie posted:

My main char is rolling with 40magic drain and holy dance at the moment. Its nice :)

Welp, yeah, I figure I'll be replaying to get some more endings. Is the Day 8 in Overclocked (that is what Im playing) interesting?

I can't speak for Yuzu or Amane's 8th day but Naoya's is super awesome and totally worth doing twice for both paths.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ChiTownEddie posted:

Amane's is the usual Law ending that SMT games offer while Yuzu's feels like a more panic-y version of Gin's ending. Naoya's is undoubtedly the best.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Cool, cool. I definitely want to try them. I have a save set so I can choose Amane and Naoya's. I'll need to replay though for Gin's.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
I kind of wish that the Devil Survivor games would implement something like VLRs branching paths interface for attaining multiple endings. I can never do more than two playthroughs consecutively before I get extremely bored with the game and stash it, despite my interest in seeing other endings.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

DDS1 is great, I had a lot of fun with it. Especially this part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdTrlVxd-xk

DDS2 not so much. I kind of hated the fact that you were just locked on the sun and that was it compared to the first game where you get to fight all these optional dudes.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is DeSu1 Overclocked worth replaying if you played through Devil Survivor 1 once? I want to experience some of the extra endings that I never bothered with before, but I heard OC actually ruins some of the endings. I've never really heard anything about what extra game content it adds.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I only did one playthrough, but I thought it was pretty good. The mechanic tweaks were nice, and the 8th day was pretty fun. I did Naoya's route, and the new day was fun, but obviously unnecessary and kinda fanservicy (not the t&a kind).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

Rascyc posted:

Is DeSu1 Overclocked worth replaying if you played through Devil Survivor 1 once? I want to experience some of the extra endings that I never bothered with before, but I heard OC actually ruins some of the endings. I've never really heard anything about what extra game content it adds.

I personally think it's worth it, but your mileage may vary. On every ending except for Gin & Atsuro's they add an extra day that deals with the fallout of whatever choice you made for that ending. There's a few maps, and some new bosses for Law and Chaos. The complaints mainly come from the extra story removing the bite and ambiguity from the endings. I wouldn't say ruined, but I can totally see where people are coming from when they complain about it.

Overclocked also adds the points system for buying post-game unlockables that they have in Devil Survivor 2, so that's another nice bonus.

Mr. Swoon fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 30, 2013