Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
You could buy a road-going one too, through Pratt and Miller, for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

sean10mm posted:

Chevy sticking with pushrod engines for the Corvette is kind of like Porsche sticking with the rear-engine layout for the 911. You can say it's "wrong" all you want, but the results speak for themselves. Nobody drives a theory.

Well, I'd argue that Porsche itself provides a pretty compelling argument for why the 911's engine placement is "wrong". It's called the Cayman.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yeah, that analogy is pretty flawed because pushrod engines at least have some advantages in terms of weight and packaging and are really good at making gobs of low-end torque. Rear engine layout is pretty objectively inferior to a mid-engine setup, Porsche has just worked really hard to mask the drawbacks of it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Q_res posted:

Rear engine layout is pretty objectively inferior to a mid-engine setup, Porsche has just worked really hard to mask the drawbacks of it.

The one benefit is having rear seat "space."

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I've also heard it provides better traction over the rear wheels in the winter, but surely the whole "lift off oversteer into a tree" thing is also worse in the winter too.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

I've also heard it provides better traction over the rear wheels in the winter, but surely the whole "lift off oversteer into a tree" thing is also worse in the winter too.

Yeah but is it better or worse than some Corvette "snap oversteer into a *something*"? :haw:
(Okay now I know they pretty much mean the same thing)

I don't really care though. The only thing I've ever oversteered myself into (or out of?) was a date. I drive FWD cars. :smith:

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jul 29, 2013

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

kimbo305 posted:

The one benefit is having rear seat "space."

That's one thing I never got about 911's. Would anyone notice if the rear seats were done away with? Are people going on family trips in those, because any kid with legs is just gonna be complaining the entire ride.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

davebo posted:

That's one thing I never got about 911's. Would anyone notice if the rear seats were done away with? Are people going on family trips in those, because any kid with legs is just gonna be complaining the entire ride.

If you're short, you probably don't have to put the seat all the way back in a 911, so children could actually fit back there. They probably engineer the seatbelts to clear the collars of polo shirts too.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

In college I rode to New Orleans in the back of an 82 911sc. I don't recommend this.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

dissss posted:

The very small car class is always dubious value compared to something a size up unless you really do want the smaller size - its not like a Splash is any cheaper than a Swift either

Yeah, the problem there is that in the US, most places were designed to accommodate the massive sedans that were the norm before the '70s. Most of the places where anything smaller than a Civic would be advantageous are densely populated cities where you can feasibly get around without any car.

Though if Mitsubishi actually can end up matching the gas mileage of the old Geo Metro (which appreciated in value quite a bit when gas first hit $4/gallon), that might just attract respectable sales.

You know that "lane keep assist" feature that some cars use to jerk you back into the lane if you drift off course? Acura is releasing a version which can, on highways with no more than gentle curves, do a respectable job of acting as an autopilot system (though it isn't explicitly designed or marketed as such):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef0KRWJwA2Q

And it looks like Lexus has had something similar since late 2007:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS_TxOIqLfg

This is making me even more excited to hear what Toyota has planned for the 4th gen Prius.

Cockmaster fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 29, 2013

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Cockmaster posted:

Yeah, the problem there is that in the US, most places were designed to accommodate the massive sedans that were the norm before the '70s. Most of the places where anything smaller than a Civic would be advantageous are densely populated cities where you can feasibly get around without any car.

Though if Mitsubishi actually can end up matching the gas mileage of the old Geo Metro (which appreciated in value quite a bit when gas first hit $4/gallon), that might just attract respectable sales.

You know that "lane keep assist" feature that some cars use to jerk you back into the lane if you drift off course? Acura is releasing a version which can, on highways with no more than gentle curves, do a respectable job of acting as an autopilot system (though it isn't explicitly designed or marketed as such):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef0KRWJwA2Q

And it looks like Lexus has had something similar since late 2007:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS_TxOIqLfg

This is making me even more excited to hear what Toyota has planned for the 4th gen Prius.

The latest version of cruise control. I like it...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Linedance posted:

If you're short, you probably don't have to put the seat all the way back in a 911, so children could actually fit back there. They probably engineer the seatbelts to clear the collars of polo shirts too.
As Clarkson put it, only the skinniest of children will fit back there, but yours will be, because you're a Porsche owner, and so will have a skinny wife to pass on her genes.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'll chime in as a rear seat 911 rider as I had to ride (with another friend nevertheless) for 2 hrs in the back of a 964 Cabrio back in the early 90's. I think my knees still hurt. They only have seats still because owners bitch for them (insurance 2+2 savings) which I think still applies.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I was a skinny kid with short parents that had to ride for multiple hours in the back of a 911 several times during my childhood.

It wasn't so bad until puberty when I grew over 6ft. I left a big hair-grease mark on the back window and had to basically curl into the fetal position. On the plus side, we got where we were going really fast. Also, in winter it was pretty cozy with the engine acting like a defacto seat warmer.

I have to say having at least some kind of rear seating came in handy quite a bit since most people fit well enough for a quick ride across town or for emergencies.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I still remember at 10 years old how cramped it was in the back of my dad's '88 Mustang LX. I also remember my grandma telling me about how she had to cram in the back of some old car driving from D.C. to NYC. Is not having sufficient legroom really such a hardship that we carry the memory the rest of our lives? That's such a weird thing to never forget.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

kids these days will grow up with memories of only having a whole bench or captain's seat to themselves :arghfist::corsair:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

davebo posted:

I still remember at 10 years old how cramped it was in the back of my dad's '88 Mustang LX. I also remember my grandma telling me about how she had to cram in the back of some old car driving from D.C. to NYC. Is not having sufficient legroom really such a hardship that we carry the memory the rest of our lives? That's such a weird thing to never forget.

Well I think its a war crime to put people in a cell the size of those rear seats, even if you don't do anything else to them, so thats some traumatic poo poo. I still remember one like 2 hour drive we took and the terrible headache I had from the combination of exhaust drone, my sitting position and the heat from the sun and engine compartment.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

davebo posted:

I think 2 extra seats makes it a realistic daily driver. Being able to toss someone in the back for a couple miles is a huge benefit over a 2 seater. And unlike a 2-seater, you don't need to get rid of it immediately when your first kid is born. You can squeeze a few extra years out of that 911 easy - and since it is a 911 you're going to want to.

Also golf clubs and luggage or something.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Goober Peas posted:

In college I rode to New Orleans in the back of an 82 911sc. I don't recommend this.

My sister and I once went to the South of France and back in the back of an XJS. That wasn't particularly pleasant, but it was more than 20 years ago. The longest I could sit in the back of a 996 before it was too much was about an hour.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

sean10mm posted:

The 6.2L LT1 engine in the C7 weighs 465 pounds. The 4.0L S65 in the BMW M3 weighs 445 pounds. The latter has 414 HP and gets 20 MPG on the highway, while the former has >450 HP and gets 30 MPG on the highway.
While the thread has moved on, another engine worth noting is the Viper's V10, which weighs less than 475lbs currently. The generation III/IV engines weighed about 500lbs fully dressed, and this lump is 25lbs lighter than they are. It also gets 20-22mpg highway with stupid amounts of low end power that is available in every gear. I'd love to see it side by side by with the big Italian and German V10s/V12s for a real size and weight comparison.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Linedance posted:

kids these days will grow up with memories of only having a whole bench or captain's seat to themselves :arghfist::corsair:

The worst I've had to deal with was riding in the back of an old Ford Probe for a month or so. It was inconvenient, but not particularly uncomfortable (and it was the closest thing I'd ever been in to a sports car at the time, so I guess that's where my love of cars started, oddly enough).

I would never condemn an adult to sit in the rear seats of my Mustang. One time my buddy's wife gave us a ride to the airport, and being shorter, he took the rear seat of his wife's Mustang (along with the one suitcase that wouldn't fit in the trunk). I still feel bad about that in a way, but more accurately I feel like I dodged a bullet.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

ynotony posted:

I think 2 extra seats makes it a realistic daily driver. Being able to toss someone in the back for a couple miles is a huge benefit over a 2 seater. And unlike a 2-seater, you don't need to get rid of it immediately when your first kid is born. You can squeeze a few extra years out of that 911 easy - and since it is a 911 you're going to want to.

Also golf clubs and luggage or something.

This is also why they still sell a shitload of convertibles too, you can pile stuff back there (like golf clubs) with the top down. They also make it easier to jump in there.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 31, 2013

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

davebo posted:

This is where the dogs go.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've never been in the back of a 911, but aren't the seats in the coupe more usable though?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Keyser S0ze posted:

I'll chime in as a rear seat 911 rider as I had to ride (with another friend nevertheless) for 2 hrs in the back of a 964 Cabrio back in the early 90's. I think my knees still hurt. They only have seats still because owners bitch for them (insurance 2+2 savings) which I think still applies.

I really think the "but it has a back seat" line is just some old wives' tale. I just ran some quotes for shits and grins and even though it'd cost about $20k more to buy / replace, full coverage on a C6 would run me about $2 per month more than on a Mustang GT. They're looking at statistical history of that particular model, not "does it have a back seat".

At any rate my old man had a '74 911 until I was about 10, and even then I remember it being damned cramped back there. He replaced it with a then-new fourthgen Camaro and it felt like I had all the legroom in the world by comparison.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It might make some impact on totally brand new vehicle rates as one of their initial inputs but yeah, with the amount of data collection that can be done now, it doesn't make sense to set insurance based on arbitrary factors.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I really think the "but it has a back seat" line is just some old wives' tale.

Insurance risk calculations are really complex statistics that take a ton of variables into account. They aren't about to be fooled by the existence of back seats.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think the Porsche Panamera is a pretty swank car.

Interior is nice too but that screen for the dash section has got to be updated. It's not as sexy as something like out of an Audi A8.

vs

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

You guys seriously pissing about 77 miles on a brand new ZL1? Im pretty sure the thing can handle being treated a little aggressively for less miles than someone's weekly total commute to work.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bob NewSCART posted:

You guys seriously pissing about 77 miles on a brand new ZL1? Im pretty sure the thing can handle being treated a little aggressively for less miles than someone's weekly total commute to work.

There's aggressively and there's this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ6atGhmVU8&t=38s

I wouldn't sweat it, either.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Gatts posted:

I think the Porsche Panamera is a pretty swank car.

https://www.lenscrafters.com <-- Please go get yourself checked out.

The interior is nice, but goddamn the outside looks like a 911 mated with a blowfish.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Mighty Horse posted:

https://www.lenscrafters.com <-- Please go get yourself checked out.

The interior is nice, but goddamn the outside looks like a 911 mated with a blowfish.

Ya its been a while and I just can't get into them. Even the Cayenne grew on me a little but the proportions just don't work.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Styled like a CLS would work better?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Panamera's problem is that they didn't commit to making it an actual wagon or sedan and instead stuck some horrible half-assed liftback thing on there. I'm not sure CLS styling would really work since it might be a bit too far from typical Porsche design.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

ya it looks good from the front and 3/4 view but that rear end just doesn't work. I'm not a designer so I can't say what they should do or what exactly is wrong but its just "off". Like someone stretched the wheelbase of a 911 in their garage.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

And then teased us with what it would have looked like if they actually did build a wagon version.

And then said they won't build a wagon version.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

DropShadow posted:

And then teased us with what it would have looked like if they actually did build a wagon version.

And then said they won't build a wagon version.

God drat it, Porsche.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

ya that looks way better.

Guinness posted:

God drat it, Porsche.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh1ZFNoREjg

Nelly is also the only rapper I've heard say it right.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's not a wagon though :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Xguard86 posted:

ya it looks good from the front

The gently caress it does. It looks like a bloated, overinflated 911. It's a disaster from basically every angle.