Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The Jesta seems like a pretty solid kit from what I've seen, just the usual katoki problem of really long legs. It tries to solve that with the extending knee joints, and seems to succeed. And it has the new hands, so if you're not a fan of those, you've been warned.

Oh and the beam rifle is still really silly looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well you can't say something like that without sharing a better example :colbert:. Oh and I actually came across a surprising find in my local model store the other day - a Perfect Grade Wing Zero Custom with the Pearl Mirror finish. For $449AU :shepface:.

This is one of my other favourites.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
How did animation like that get approved, even in 1979? :stare:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Their staff was stretched pretty thin. Tomino often had to pitch in to help the animation team get cels done in time.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism

muike posted:

Oh and the beam rifle is still really silly looking.

I think the beam rifle is one of the best, it looks like an actual submachine gun :colbert:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Scaling human weapons up to giant robot size just ends up looking silly to me. I don't mind the design of it as much as the fact that it looks too tryhard Operator especially when the Jesta's holding it. edit: and the beam silencer.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Not pictured: MG Buster Gundam

Another overseas trip complete, another huge pile of gunpla. Since I plan to paint and create custom decals for each of these, this is also an image of my backlog for the next year or so. :suicide:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 5, 2013

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Apparently there's plans to release an english language Gunpla magazine and some books. Sample chapter here.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I'm glad to finally see something like this happen and want it to succeed, but there's no way it's going to be anything but a short-lived money pit for the publishers. Even if they go digital-only, most of the target audience will just the drat thing.

Niche modeling magazines had a stunningly high mortality rate back when magazines were still a viable thing, and Gunpla is a niche within a niche. Can't really see this going anywhere, alas.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Most people won't even bother to :filez:. Gunpla tutorials are easy to find in video or photo form, and any big Gunpla news is usually up on GundamGuy's blog within minutes of Japan knowing about it. The magazine has no purpose.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm a bit surprised that they used a 15 year old kit on their cover.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I agree that it's not likely to get a huge audience. I should have mentioned, I guess, that Bandai is involved in it somehow and they (bandai) said they were wanting it to be an english equivalent to Dengeki Hobby. The more interesting thing is that Bandai has been starting to push to try to expand gunpla in the US again.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I've found vanishingly few English-langauge sources that cover subjects like modification, painting/weathering and scratchbuilding in anywhere near the depth that the Japanese publications do, so if this supposed pub can attain a similar level of quality then it'll have my blessings.

I'm now actually a bit less confident in its chances knowing that Bandai is involved, given their history in the US of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. And the product could definitely use more visual polish, especially if they plan to make a real magazine out of it.

Monaghan posted:

I'm a bit surprised that they used a 15 year old kit on their cover.
And not a very well finished one at that. Yeah.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 29, 2013

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
edit: goddamn double post, so here's a quick thing:

If they're shooting for a Dengeki equivalent then this is the sort of visual standard they need to reach, none of that "shot on my dinner table" poo poo for the main course.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 29, 2013

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bimmi posted:

edit: goddamn double post, so here's a quick thing:

If they're shooting for a Dengeki equivalent then this is the sort of visual standard they need to reach, none of that "shot on my dinner table" poo poo for the main course.

God drat that's a model kit? It has to be a 1/60, that thing looks huge. Great photography if it's a 1/144, or 1/100. Makes me want to try something like that with my Armored Core models when I get home.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's the 1/48th one, says so right on the page.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Wot?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

muike posted:

It's the 1/48th one, says so right on the page.

Ah, that explains it then. I don't think you could photograph a 1/144 Exia and make it appear so badass. Really excited to give it a shot when I get home though.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

http://imgur.com/a/qWLTr

Started a few months ago with the two HG (which, looking at, are pretty terrible :P) and picked up the RG Destiny at Anime Expo. Had no idea what I was doing, so I rushed assembly (twisted parts out of the frame, left HUGE nubs, no panel-lining, paint, etc.)

I'm currently working on the MG Buster, trying to take my time with it. I bought sidecutters, an x-acto knife, and will be trying to panel line it.

Looking at the picture, it really seems like I'm not doing a good job on nubs, so before I move on, I'm going to give the whole thing a once-over to remove them. Any other advice for a newbie?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Get a hobby knife (or any real sharp knife) and just slice the nub off, making sure your blade is flat to the surface. If you end up leaving a bit of discoloration behind, just use a gundam or sharpie marker and cover it up.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Saeka posted:

http://imgur.com/a/qWLTr

Started a few months ago with the two HG (which, looking at, are pretty terrible :P) and picked up the RG Destiny at Anime Expo. Had no idea what I was doing, so I rushed assembly (twisted parts out of the frame, left HUGE nubs, no panel-lining, paint, etc.)

I'm currently working on the MG Buster, trying to take my time with it. I bought sidecutters, an x-acto knife, and will be trying to panel line it.

Looking at the picture, it really seems like I'm not doing a good job on nubs, so before I move on, I'm going to give the whole thing a once-over to remove them. Any other advice for a newbie?

If you're using a hobby knife or any other blade, BUY MATERIAL BAND-AIDS! Not the plastic/synthetic kind. Use them for protection. I've had blades impact my thumbs several times and the band-aid stopped the blade from cutting flesh, or turned a serious injury into something akin to a paper cut. I accidentally cut myself without protection a few times when I was starting out and the blades are razor sharp. It got to the point that I'd just wrap the ends of my my thumbs in band-aids before I started cutting parts out just to be safe.

So yeah, the Band-Aids are used to preventing injury, not protect something you've already injured. I tried using rubber finger-tips that secretaries use but they felt too weird.

EDIT: Oh yeah, obviously cut AWAY from your hands/fingers 100% of the time if it is possible. My problem is that there are so many parts I get lazy. Some parts are also so small the only way you to get a grip on them involves cutting towards your fingers. Never a good thing, but sometimes it is unavoidable. May have something to do with my sausage fingers.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 30, 2013

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I might try that next time I start cutting stuff. I've managed to end up needing a trip to hospital after slipping before.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I've had obscenely good luck with not cutting myself with my hobby knife. It helps to have a cover you can put on the knife when you're not actively usig it.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I've lanced myself once with a knife while building gunpla and it was due to making the awful mistake of not cutting away from myself. Never gonna make that mistake again.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I generally slice off nubs in a kind of sawing motion, so even if the knife hits my finger there's not enough force behind it to cut deeply. And even if there was, my knife is super dull by this point so yeah.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Dull blades have a tendency to cut more often than sharp ones since you need more force to get through stuff. Oddly enough, the time I ended up in hospital I was cutting away from myself and using a brand new blade. It just sort of did a weird spiral in the metal of the mini I was cutting up and ended up coming straight back at me.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ignimbrite posted:

I've had obscenely good luck with not cutting myself with my hobby knife. It helps to have a cover you can put on the knife when you're not actively usig it.

same here. Maybe we are the only ones who are observing proper safety though.
All the stories of people cutting themselves seem to be people who know better and broke their own safety rules.
Its easy, keep a sharp, clean blade and never put a body part in the path of the blade

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I haven't cut myself with one in a long time, but it was always on my thumb because I was (am) an idiot who sometimes cuts towards himself. I recommend cutting parts off the runner as far away on the gate as is reasonable, trimming with the nipper, not too close though, and finally gradually shaving the nub off with the hobby knife.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I've found a small pair of wirecutters work quite well. Angle them flush with the surface of the piece and it'll cleanly take off most or all of the nub in one snip.

Something like these where the blades have a flat surface on one side.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've found a small pair of wirecutters work quite well. Angle them flush with the surface of the piece and it'll cleanly take off most or all of the nub in one snip.

Something like these where the blades have a flat surface on one side.

The importance of the flat surface can't be overstated. I use something similar and a blade to clean up.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So I forget who ordered it, but what's the verdict on 1/100 ELYN Kshatriya? I'm seeing it for about 230 dollars shipped and it has my interest.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

So I forget who ordered it, but what's the verdict on 1/100 ELYN Kshatriya? I'm seeing it for about 230 dollars shipped and it has my interest.

Of course, me with that room. Still waiting on it to show up.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Time for my semi-annual plug for the Micro-Mark despruing tweezer, easily the best parts cutter I've ever used (and I have used quite a few.)

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
I got a pair of those micro-mark sprue cutters and I can't say I'd recommend them alone. I do use them for cutting off thin nubs since they get pretty close, but their cost is on par with tamiya's pointed side-cutters which are sharper and a lot easier to use, being plier-style cutters. The tweezer style take a lot more force to cut, especially anything remotely thick. They're good for when you want a flat cut and can't angle in a good cut with other cutters. I find that due to the force that is required to cut with them you can't get a quick cut, resulting in more nub tearout. They've become my filament cutters for my 3d printer.

To each his own I guess.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

It's a solid kit (though it's probably not going to the most posable thing ever), and the second batch of releases fixed the poorly cut nub issue by just not cutting nubs at all. Main issues are QC level; a lot of people are not getting all the parts required. It's recommended that the first thing you do when you get the thing is to sift through every single piece and make sure everything's in order, since you only have a week to request replacements.

On the plus side, apparently the parts don't come with handy numbers identifying what everything is, so while you're checking everything you can label them and save yourself a lot of hassle during the build.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I should clarify that I often use two cutters for parts removal: pliers-type nippers for the rough cut (generally behind the arrow marks on the sprue, leaving anywhere from 5-8mm still attached) and the tweezers for the final "beauty" cut.

They are definitely not suitable for cutting thick sprues, but that's not really their purpose. I have a pair of nippers that were fairly pricey, and the quality of the cuts it makes aren't anywhere near as good.

As always, Your Mileage May Vary.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

where am I supposed to put all of this

Also apparently USPS delivered my Blast/Sword Impulse conversion kit five days early, while I was in China. Tracking info marks it as Returned, but when I went to the post office they didn't know where it was either. :negative:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 31, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

Permission to be smug since I don't have a backlog/room problem? :smug:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Also apparently USPS delivered my Blast/Sword Impulse conversion kit five days early, while I was in China. Tracking info marks it as Returned, but when I went to the post office they didn't know where it was either. :negative:

You only bought the Aile Strike, even though you got the Impulse conversion kits? I'm disappointed :colbert:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Actually, see that blue thing right above the Aile's manual?

And yes, I am planning to pose Launcher/Sword Strike with Blast/Sword Impulse. Gonna look so cool.

• Locked thread