Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Well, I know why my son's father didn't show up for his visit a few weeks ago and has been incommunicado ever since. Can you guess? If you guessed "He's in jail!", congrats, you win!

Wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

sheri posted:

So I ended up ordering that ergo baby swaddler linked some posts back. The price quoted in their website ($40 or whatever) actually is for a pack of two. I didn't realize it was for two so bonus! I'll let you know how they work with my swaddle Houdini.

Oh awesome! I'm a little sad that Simon can't sleep swaddled any longer, they look like they would have worked well! I'm curious too hear how it goes with Ben :)

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
I had my first ultrasound today, but we're a bit earlier than we thought, so they're having me come back next week for another. Also I get to take progesterone tablets. Great. Such a sexy thing to do right before bed. The nurse actually said "so you're going to take one every night before bed and you have to shove it up your vagina... as far as you can... right up in there" :gonk:

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
Do they think you're at high risk of miscarriage? First trimester scans are always so fraught with uncertainty, I don't envy you.

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
My baby Lydia arrived on Friday night around 11 o'clock!

The part that sucked was that I was in prodromal labor from 4 a.m Tuesday onward... hard, painful contractions between 4 and 20 minutes apart, around the clock. Also vomiting. The midwives got me through with some "therapeutic rest" (sweet sweet morphine) and a saline IV on Wednesday and Thursday night, so I caught a few hours of sleep and got somewhat rehydrated. By Friday morning, I was completely miserable and exhausted and ready to throw out all my natural birth plans. Luckily, things actually kicked into gear on Friday around 1 and I was done before midnight.

I did the whole active labor at a freestanding birth center with midwives and an independent doula that I hired. I cannot say enough good things about my doula - I promoted her to Voice of God during the labor and she got me through the whole natural childbirth process without any fear or doubt. Even the pain was more like intensity than anything else. After my labor, another family came in and I heard the mom really freaking out with screaming, "I can't do this, oh God it hurts" stuff, and my heart went out to her because I know that would have been me if I hadn't had the great support.

The birth center was fantastic as well. I labored in a private suite that had a huge tub, its own bathroom, a real (if very hard) bed, a rocking chair, etc. and it was so reassuring to have my own space, especially since I was naked the whole time and didn't care. I labored in the tub on hands and knees, on a yoga ball, on a yoga ball in the shower, and then finally on hands and knees on the bed. They monitored fetal heartrate with a doppler occasionally, and did a few manual cervical checks, but it was very non-medical otherwise. The only real hassle was having an IV port in my arm (for antibiotics and saline at the beginning) because the earlier IVs had blown the veins in my hands. I got to sleep in the bed with my husband that same night, plus get up and walk out to scrounge in the kitchen at 3 a.m. I felt like I got to know all the nurses/midwives over the pregnancy, and they have all been super kind and attentive when I've seen them before and since.

If anybody wants to know more about having a doula or using a midwife-run birth center, I can answer questions here or offsite in e-mail. I'm really happy that I did it that way, and would recommend it to anyone else with a low-risk pregnancy. The doula cost about $600 but the birth center was covered by my insurance at the same co-pay/deductible that the hospital would have been - probably less, actually, since it was a single bill rather than that triple-stack you get with the hospital facility fee, physician's fee, lab fee, etc.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

Abbeh posted:

The nurse actually said "so you're going to take one every night before bed and you have to shove it up your vagina... as far as you can... right up in there" :gonk:

This is actually kind of awesome. And congrats! I measured about two weeks earlier than I thought at the first ultrasound, and since then have consistently been 2-4 weeks LATER than I thought. Enough for my physician to revise what week she thinks I'm at, but not enough for her to revise my EDD, so it's like they're expecting me to go to 43 weeks. Not gonna happen.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Congrats on the super cute baby!!!

And I can't let this go without saying something...I'm sure she wasn't transported in the car with the straps that loose, but just in case, they need to be way tighter.

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR
Sudont, that's awful. :(

Lydia looks so tiny! How big was she? And congrats!

It's world breastfeeding week this week, which is pretty cool. I'm going to a thing at the hospital my son was born in on Thursday to do done activities. I hope he's chill through it.

I don't think I posted here about my kid's lip tie and tongue tie. We had a horrible time nursing the first few weeks and he actually lost weight. The lactation consultant when I was in the hospital with him told me he was just lazy. Yes. She did. Fortunately, since then, we've worked with great LCs who have helped us out a lot. If breastfeeding hurts (it felt like he was taking tweezers to my nipples), there really is something wrong. I have a really high pain tolerance - I didn't know I was in labor for hours, oops - but it was hard for me to take. Get help if you need it. Since we had his ties fixed, his nursing had improved a zillion fold. It's been much better for both of us, since he can actually eat now and has put on lots of weight.

I also love her swaddle blanket. So cute!!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Helena Handbasket, your baby is ADORABLE! You definitely have to tighten your straps a LOT though.You have the chest clip in the right location, but you see how the strap isn't snug horizonally by her waist? That slack needs to be tugged in. I always clipped the chest clip first, then the waist, then tightened, THEN moved the chest clip to the proper place by the armpit. You also see that bottom part that goes into the seat between her legs? That needs to be on the shortest setting, since she's a newborn :) Try and slog through the manual once, just to doublecheck. It seems super complicated right now, but it's so important, and later, it'll be second nature.

Go here: http://www.seatcheck.org/ and look up your state and you'll find someone willing to check your seat installation for free as well, without judging! That'll be a huge load off your mind :)

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
Thank you, guys! That was how the nurses arranged her, so I presumed they knew what they were doing- whoops. Will get the carseat sorted ASAP, glad I posted that pic here. She was 8 lb, 6 oz and 20 3/4 inches long!

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
My dad just told me he wants to know what day I'm having the baby so he can arrange to fly in for a day or two with his horrible wife, Satanica. I'm glad he's supportive and stuff, but I might lie about the date and then say the baby came early so I don't have to deal with her when I'm in the hospital. When my first was born, she took my baby and wouldn't give him back when I asked because it was her "turn." THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS, YOU WITHERED UP DECREPIT OLD BITCH.

sudont posted:

Well, I know why my son's father didn't show up for his visit a few weeks ago and has been incommunicado ever since. Can you guess? If you guessed "He's in jail!", congrats, you win!

Wonderful.

A really good tactic in these cases is the "give him enough rope...." one. Ugh. Sorry that you and your kid have to deal with that. On the plus (?) side, there's something to be said for knowing this kind of thing early on. It's way easier to just not get any help, and know that this is the situation, rather than expecting support that may or may not materialize. Hopefully you can have a good relationship with the extended family.

Russian Dollies
Jun 25, 2006

Basically... RUN.

My water literally popped tonight. I'm at 35+3, so a little scared/nervous. But by this time tomorrow I'll hopefully have my little boy. :)

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

D: That's what the NURSES did? I'd seriously write an outraged email asking for an explanation and their plan to fix it. They're basically giving new parents the impression that that's safe, when the kiddo would go flying out in the event of an accident :(

edit: CS, ban them from the hospital room. You have the power!

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
Yeah, I'll definitely bring it up on Friday when I go back in for some blood pressure monitoring. They know drat well I don't know what I'm doing, they watched her come out of me not a week ago! Again, so so glad I chose that picture to post in here. Luckily we haven't been driving her anywhere, but that could have been bad.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

you can prob fix that with a little duct tape and a paper clip

*is MacGyver irl*
Helena she's adorable, congrats! I haven't the slightest idea how to adjust a car seat so I will have to rely on others to help me when the time comes.

I've reached twenty weeks and no longer have placenta previa, which is a relief. I also found out I'm having a little boy :3: it's funny because I was somehow convinced it was a girl based on my "mother's intuition". So much for that. Did you all end up having what you thought you were carrying?

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
I knew from the start that my son would likely never see a dime of support from my ex, so yeah, that does make this easier. I accepted that, but still intend to go through with the process of establishing a support order; if it was money intended for ME I wouldn't bother, but my son is entitled to it. The state does it anyway, because we're on Medicare (or -aid, I always forget which is for the poors and which is for the olds).

And I didn't intend to try to keep my son from having a relationship with my ex, even if he never paid child support. I won't go to court when he doesn't pay, because I know the money isn't there so I don't want to go through that. He also has another child, so anything the state collects will be split between us anyway. (Whatever the state wants to do I'll go along with, as far as court, etc.) I have no intention of chasing him to get him to have that relationship, though. I assumed he'd be distantly involved in a "I'll visit when I can be current on child support, and disappear and complain that my ex ran away with my son and won't let me visit when I'm broke", because he's very concerned with not appearing like a deadbeat and that would let him maintain the facade or whatever he wants to tell himself. I don't know the details of what he was arrested and charged with, but I know what the charges are, and one is enough to make me think that if he shows up asking to visit I'll say no, and let the courts handle it.

My son won't want for positive male role models, and I'm doing everything in my power to make sure I'm mom enough to make up for the lack of a dad.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Are you going to try to establish a relationship with him and his half-sibling?

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Russian Dollies posted:

My water literally popped tonight. I'm at 35+3, so a little scared/nervous. But by this time tomorrow I'll hopefully have my little boy. :)
Good luck! my water broke at 36+6 quite randomly, I was just calmly sitting at my computer.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT posted:

I've reached twenty weeks and no longer have placenta previa, which is a relief. I also found out I'm having a little boy :3: it's funny because I was somehow convinced it was a girl based on my "mother's intuition". So much for that. Did you all end up having what you thought you were carrying?

Great news!
also, my mom and I thought for sure I was having a girl, but found out otherwise at 20 weeks. I wasn't too shocked since I knew it could go either way, but my mom was surprised. I love him to bits and I'm thrilled to have a little boy :) I couldn't imagine it any other way now!

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.
Sudont, in most places it's -care for old/permanently disabled people, and -caid for low income. Not that it matters. Medicaid covers a lot more.

I thought we were having a boy - a security guard where I work and my husband both dreamed it's a boy, and I just had a feeling. And I was right! Congrats on your much improved placenta, and your son!

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."

sudont posted:

I knew from the start that my son would likely never see a dime of support from my ex, so yeah, that does make this easier. I accepted that, but still intend to go through with the process of establishing a support order; if it was money intended for ME I wouldn't bother, but my son is entitled to it. The state does it anyway, because we're on Medicare (or -aid, I always forget which is for the poors and which is for the olds).

And I didn't intend to try to keep my son from having a relationship with my ex, even if he never paid child support. I won't go to court when he doesn't pay, because I know the money isn't there so I don't want to go through that. He also has another child, so anything the state collects will be split between us anyway. (Whatever the state wants to do I'll go along with, as far as court, etc.) I have no intention of chasing him to get him to have that relationship, though. I assumed he'd be distantly involved in a "I'll visit when I can be current on child support, and disappear and complain that my ex ran away with my son and won't let me visit when I'm broke", because he's very concerned with not appearing like a deadbeat and that would let him maintain the facade or whatever he wants to tell himself. I don't know the details of what he was arrested and charged with, but I know what the charges are, and one is enough to make me think that if he shows up asking to visit I'll say no, and let the courts handle it.

My son won't want for positive male role models, and I'm doing everything in my power to make sure I'm mom enough to make up for the lack of a dad.

My sister was able to essentially get the money garnished straight from her ex's check which is then split between them and the other kids he has. To be honest, it lets the state and payroll handle his child support payments and takes it out of his hands. He can't feel like he's not paying child support if they handle it before he even gets his check.

If you are worried he won't show up because he hasn't paid child support, that may be one way to just get that obstacle out of the way.

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe

Alterian posted:

Are you going to try to establish a relationship with him and his half-sibling?

He lives 3,000 miles away and is 11, that's all I know of him, so no. He also has a 22 year old half brother who he's met once. He lives nearby (he was moving in with his father last I knew) and we have met a handful of times, he's a good guy. I don't plan on pursuing any kind of relationship with either of them or any of ex's family but I'm not against it if they're interested. I know next to nothing about my ex's family, it was a brief, bad relationship and this was obviously an unplanned pregnancy.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
I guessed the sex correctly with both kids (a boy and a girl). Not exactly a huge accomplishment, the odds of guessing right both times is 25% after all ;)

Oh and Yay for all the good car seat advice in this thread! :)

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Everyone who hasn't had their car seat checked out should go here and watch these videos on installation and car seat safety, and read your manual! Also remember that you want your kid rearfacing until 2 years at the bare minimum. You'll get a lot of slack from people telling you to turn them around, but it really is astronomically safer.

http://www.childrensdmc.org/MotorVehicleSafety

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR
I had no idea. Based on when we had sex in relation to ovulation, I suspected a boy (though that may be more voodoo than anything), but only in my logical mind. I had dreams of both a boy and a girl. My mom was convinced it was a girl, and she is usually right about things. A crazy lady at work and my bro also thought a girl, but a more sane lady at work said it was a boy.

It was really fun not to know ahead of time. I got to say he was a boy when he popped out. :3: And we avoided all the boys-only nonsense until after he was born. Sigh.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

I haven't the slightest idea how to adjust a car seat so I will have to rely on others to help me when the time comes.

If you are in the US, I guarantee you that the manual that came with your carseat will give specific instructions on how to properly adjust the straps, how to tighten them, where the chest clip should be, and how to determine if the straps are too loose, as well as other information that is in every manual I've ever looked at but for some reason a lot of parents seem to be completely unaware of - like the fact that children should not wear coats or jackets while in a car seat, and that you CANNOT put the straps through the washer, no matter how much your baby puked on them. Read the manual a few times over, practice with a doll or stuffed animal. Estimates from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and various groups such as SeatCheck.org and AAA indicate that somewhere between 70% and 90% of carseats are used *improperly*, due to either improper installation or improper strap adjustment. Read your manual, get your installation checked by a Child Passenger Safety Technician (find a local one using this site: http://www.seatcheck.org/), and ask them to take the time to teach you how to adjust the straps properly.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
If you're on Facebook, there's a group called "Car Seats for the Littles" that is full of car seat techs who will help you out if you post a photo and point you to in person help if needed.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
I was convinced it was a girl from the start, based on both a really strange dream from a few years past and just a general unshakeable gut feeling, to the point where I was terrified that the ultrasound would show a boy, since that would mean "losing" my baby girl.

She's now lying in my lap making tiny weird goat noises :3:

Chicken Biscuits
Oct 17, 2008
I had a feeling this one was a girl. My husband has two sisters, and both had girls first, then boys, so I assumed we would follow tradition. I was right. :) For now, anyway.

Luckily, my husband works for a baby company, and is a product integrity engineer for car seats. He's going to a training in September to be certified in correctly installing car seats and I think properly buckling the child in the seat, too. I forget exactly what the certification's called, but I know nothing about car seats, so I'm relying on him to help!

Also, holy crap, 30 weeks today. So close, yet so far away.

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
I had no doubt I was having a boy and that he'd have red hair. It wasn't any sort of intuition really, just the fact that his father has two other sons with red hair, so I just assumed. I heard later that if you have 2 of the same sex a third of the same sex is more likely. I was right on the boy part, and his hair is likely going to be red, it's hard to tell right now though. It's definitely not fiery red, it might be more coppery.

All the old wives tales type things pointed toward girl though, except that I had no morning sickness, which people say is a boy thing.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
I'd hoped for a boy first and got Chris, and then kinda hoped for a girl second but would've been happy with another boy, and I got Emily. I didn't really have any feelings either way, I kept my expectations open.

Really I'm just happy the second pregnancy wasn't twins!

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I had a feeling that I was pregnant with a girl and as far as the ultrasound could tell, I was correct. :)

Professor Bananas
Feb 16, 2011
I was so sure I was having a girl that I only read the girls' section of the baby name books I had, and was shocked at my 20 week scan when the sonographer said it was a boy. I wouldn't have believed her either if she hadn't followed up with "...aaaaand there's the penis".

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I had a strong feeling it was a boy and I started referring to him as he and him before the ultrasound confirmed it.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

I had no real thoughts about it. I had a mild preference for a girl but did not actually think I was having one or the other before we found out from the scans. The 16 week scan said girl but I wasn't convinced until the 20 week scan said the same thing. Which was good because we couldn't agree on any boy names.

annaconda
Mar 12, 2007
deadly bite
I initially thought I was having a boy, then started convincing myself that it might be a girl (I had a preference for a girl, I guess). I had dreams he was a boy, and even when I was convincing myself he might be a girl I would say things like "He's sleepy today" or "He wants steak" so I must have believed my first instincts. He is definitely a boy!

On that note, I was just at the supermarket and saw a young teenage girl - definitely under 16 - in her school uniform. The skirt was hemmed very short, with no joke STOCKINGS AND SUSPENDERS hanging out from under the skirt. Any tiny regret I had about having a boy was evaporated in the very instant I thought "How can her mother let her out like that?"

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
I was hoping/thinking we'd have a girl. I didn't have any intuition or anything like that, I just couldn't envision myself having a boy (not that I would have really minded either way). We had a weird thing happen to us where everyone and their brother told us they thought we were having a boy to the point where it got kind of annoying. My husband's family even insisted multiple times over that "You watch, our side only makes boys :smug:" Even my doctor said during a checkup while she was looking for the hearbeat that she had a hunch it was a boy.

As someone who kind of wanted a girl from the get-go, my first thought at the ultrasound was "Yay! It's a girl!" followed shortly by "Haha, that'll teach you all to speculate about what's going on inside my uterus."

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.
I had a dream really early on that I was having a boy and a girl but fpr some reason I could only pick one. I was really stressed out in the dream because I hadn't asked my man at that point which one he was hoping for. Turns out I did have one of each AND I get to keep them both!

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

New Weave Wendy posted:

"Haha, that'll teach you all to speculate about what's going on inside my uterus."

My mother-in-law told my husband she was sure we were having a boy because she saw it in a dream. He was so happy when they told us it was a girl that he got to prove his mother wrong.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Ok so I have a shameful question. My baby just turned six weeks old a couple of days ago. I was bad and didn't wait until my six week checkup (which is this coming Monday) to start having sex. There was a certain fit of passion, yada yada yada - stupid I know. So I was curious and had some extra pregnancy test strips. I tested Sunday during the day, and there appeared a very, very faint positive. I figure I'll test again in a couple days and use morning pee. Is there a chance that it is still just hormones left over from my last pregnancy? I googled it and got mixed answers. Obviously, I will mention it at my checkup on Monday. My partner and I plan on getting married and having another baby soonish anyway, I just didn't really plan on it being this freakin' soon. And I realize how stupid it is on all levels, so no need to reiterate that. I'm just wondering if it's at all possible it's still left over hormones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
If it's any consolation, Goobish, I didn't wait until 6 weeks with any of mine. I'm pretty sure that is common, to be honest. Regardless of the outcome, know that you're not alone in not waiting.