Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Unlucky7 posted:

Its stuff like this that don't really make me want to give Ambition Mode a chance. Is it really that bad?

There are a lot of parts to it that seem pretty poorly implemented but it really doesn't take that much time to complete compared to a lot of other Musou grinds and when you are "done" with it, it gives you a pretty reliable way to get weapons and it gives you a really good place to spend all your gold in that you can buy EXP and stat increases for officers eventually. But there are some really :psyduck: design decisions. Not letting your allies appear as enemies is probably the biggest one for me. After a while you get to the point where the only "officers" you fight are Unit Commanders which have the health of an officer but not the drops and they aren't actually part of the Heaven, Earth, Man thing as far as I can tell so you can't get extra damage on them.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Well, the purpose of the change in Merchant materials exchange rate is likely for convenience for maxing out weapons with your customized properties on them. Ambition Mode is basically grinding a lot of really short battles on maps you've already visited before in Story Mode, and its main use outside of itself is to serve as a weapon shop outside of having to play Story Mode stages (but you can just "Play All" a Chaos Mode stage with a base anyways, save then quit) and for customizing a 4-star weapon with all the good properties.

As far as I can tell, you only get certain types of weapons to show up that way. I haven't messed with it too much though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

A fun thing with the 2010 Three Kingdoms series (I'm up to ep.13), is looking at the background mooks just to see how badly the extras are wearing their helmets. Are they doing that poo poo on purpose to see who's paying attention? The helmets in the episode where Cao Cao is at a crossroads taking a pause before pursuing the emperor to Luoyang seemed to be the worst- not one background mook had it on straight and they all looked ridiculously oversized.
The fight cinematography is awful too, but I can forgive it because the characters themselves and their development are the real meat of the show. This and Game of Thrones are the only shows I've ever watched where I know what's coming, but I'm still hooked.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

5er posted:

A fun thing with the 2010 Three Kingdoms series (I'm up to ep.13), is looking at the background mooks just to see how badly the extras are wearing their helmets. Are they doing that poo poo on purpose to see who's paying attention? The helmets in the episode where Cao Cao is at a crossroads taking a pause before pursuing the emperor to Luoyang seemed to be the worst- not one background mook had it on straight and they all looked ridiculously oversized.
The fight cinematography is awful too, but I can forgive it because the characters themselves and their development are the real meat of the show. This and Game of Thrones are the only shows I've ever watched where I know what's coming, but I'm still hooked.

It's probably because armor back then would probably have just been made as "one size fits all". Making helmets and armor personally for each individual peasant doesn't sound practical. So, for most the helmets are probably too big.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
To say nothing of how drafting for numbers than picking "top bodies" would presumably result in having whatever guys were around, not exactly the biggest, buffest or brawniest.

Speaking of "are they doing that poo poo on purpose to see who's paying attention" though...

5er
Jun 1, 2000

PureRok posted:

It's probably because armor back then would probably have just been made as "one size fits all". Making helmets and armor personally for each individual peasant doesn't sound practical. So, for most the helmets are probably too big.

Ill-fitting gear, especially helmets can be fatal. Being a military vet, that's a fact to me. Poorly geared troops are troops that lose. Considering the care in the quality of his fighting forces Cao Cao is reknown for, illustrated even in the serial we speak where he makes sure a soldier's sandals are properly tightened, I doubt sloppily donned, oversized helmets reconcile well with history. Considering how ridiculous and frequent it looked on the show, I just had to wonder if it was a running joke.

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

Jibo posted:

As far as I can tell, you only get certain types of weapons to show up that way. I haven't messed with it too much though.
I think the blacksmiths only show weapons if you've unlocked the character that uses it as their EX. However you can still get those weapons from officers

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

dj_de posted:

I think the blacksmiths only show weapons if you've unlocked the character that uses it as their EX. However you can still get those weapons from officers

You have to have played through that level. And even then it doesn't necessarily show up except on stages for that guys kingdom after he's unlocked.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Everyone who suggested The Ravages of Time: Thanks! I'm only up to about chapter 50, but it's pretty awesome.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Sonata Mused posted:

Everyone who suggested The Ravages of Time: Thanks! I'm only up to about chapter 50, but it's pretty awesome.
The awesome only spirals upward from here... Guan Yu isn't the only one who can pull the wool over people's eyes, wait until you see what Lu Bu has up his sleeve. :stonklol:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Man, have you guys played Zhuge Dan much? His rod thing is probably my new favorite weapon. So many brutal and unblockable attacks.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
So I've been playing Bladestorm, and is pretty fun, but it seems really easy. I'm mostly using cavalry, and its gotten to the point where I don't bat an eye at charging right into a bunch of braced pikemen head on because I know they are going to get murdered.

Does the game ever really get challenging?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Jibo posted:

Man, have you guys played Zhuge Dan much? His rod thing is probably my new favorite weapon. So many brutal and unblockable attacks.

The unblockable part is nice and the animations look savage, but I've generally been dissatisfied with the amount of time involved with the animation periods. Especially the EX. It was better when he had the fan because he'd poo poo out the death rays rapidly enough. I tend to stick with generals / weapons that have a disgusting area of effect and have rapid animation transitions. I will forgive a slow weapon if its area and EX are particularly great, like Xiahou Ba. Too bad about Xiahou Ba being a retarded teenage puppydog to look at or listen to.

edit: about Zhuge Dan who lost a fan and gained a police baton that I didn't particularly like, I really dig the change to Sima Yi. The horsehair whip's C moves are satisfying, and Yi's EX feels even better than it used to.

5er fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 30, 2013

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Silvergun1000 posted:

Does the game ever really get challenging?

It's possible to play the game using just a couple of troop types, but to unlock everything you'll need to use a larger selection of troops - and getting them up to speed can be quite difficult. The game definitely gets easier rather than harder, though, yeah.

Selane
May 19, 2006

5er posted:

I tend to stick with generals / weapons that have a disgusting area of effect and have rapid animation transitions. I will forgive a slow weapon if its area and EX are particularly great, like Xiahou Ba. Too bad about Xiahou Ba being a retarded teenage puppydog to look at or listen to.

edit: about Zhuge Dan who lost a fan and gained a police baton that I didn't particularly like, I really dig the change to Sima Yi. The horsehair whip's C moves are satisfying, and Yi's EX feels even better than it used to.

I think the most ridiculous one I've seen so far is Sima Shi's EX attack. Combined with his C4 that poo poo hits an area the size of a football field. Sima Yi and Shi are both way better than they were in 7.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Stelas posted:

It's possible to play the game using just a couple of troop types, but to unlock everything you'll need to use a larger selection of troops - and getting them up to speed can be quite difficult. The game definitely gets easier rather than harder, though, yeah.

Oh that's too bad. I really love the scope of the game and how you're a little part of a huge battlefield, but mowing down army after army with 0 challenge kind of loses its luster after a while.

Also, having John Hawkwood being this game's Lu Bu is really awesome, even if he was still a nobody when the war was going on.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Selane posted:

I think the most ridiculous one I've seen so far is Sima Shi's EX attack. Combined with his C4 that poo poo hits an area the size of a football field. Sima Yi and Shi are both way better than they were in 7.

I haven't used Shi yet but I am going to, tonight.

Sima Zhao has suffered bad, I feel. He was one of my primary go-to's in WO3; podao plus his EX worked out to surfing generals all over the map. Whatever the gently caress he's got with that 'striking sword' sucks across the board, and his EX actually misses a bit more on generals and a lot on grunt packs.

Selane
May 19, 2006

5er posted:

his EX actually misses a bit more on generals and a lot on grunt packs.

Yeah, it's hard as hell to hit with his EX unless you intentionally miss with the first few attacks. I remember there was some other piece of poo poo whose EX missed like 80% of the time. Li Dian I think?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Selane posted:

Yeah, it's hard as hell to hit with his EX unless you intentionally miss with the first few attacks. I remember there was some other piece of poo poo whose EX missed like 80% of the time. Li Dian I think?

Li Dian and that dumb loving pinwheel stick can gently caress off into obscurity.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
^^^I've never seen his gimmick that you're supposed to do where you make the wheels hit each other and explode, I'm gonna guess it doesn't redeem the moveset?

Wait, Zhuge Dan is a grapple character like Meng Huo and his gloves? :aaaaa: Must try.

I love Xu Huang's Great Axe moveset, you can tell that enemy AI was never designed to deal with getting picked up or watching someone else get picked up and used as a hitbox.

5er posted:

I haven't used Shi yet but I am going to, tonight.

You will love Sima Shi's C4 + EX. There is really nothing like it with that much AoE.

5er posted:

Too bad about Xiahou Ba being a retarded teenage puppydog to look at or listen to.

You take that back, Xiahou Ba is the extreme classic archetypal hero, of the sort one sees in traditional ancient world literature, and he deserves all the ladies. :colbert:

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Betrays his family to side with the people who killed his father, gets rescued by Liu Shan, of all loving people and dies in ignominy.

Or, if you prefer the RoTK route: betrays his family to side with the people who killed his father, gets killed by rocks and arrows and dies in ignominy.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Th-th-that's not the way DW8 characterizes him in the Jin route with the optional stage, okay?!?!?!?!? :qq:

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 31, 2013

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Well to be fair the writing on the wall was pretty clear at the time that being a Cao or Xiahou in the Wei kingdom wasn't going to be a good time.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Th-th-that's not the way DW8 characterizes him in the Jin route with the optional stage, okay?!?!?!?!? :qq:

I haven't played Jin's story in DW8, but he came off as a huge weiner in DW7 if I remember right.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

^^^I've never seen his gimmick that you're supposed to do where you make the wheels hit each other and explode, I'm gonna guess it doesn't redeem the moveset?

Wait, Zhuge Dan is a grapple character like Meng Huo and his gloves? :aaaaa: Must try.

I love Xu Huang's Great Axe moveset, you can tell that enemy AI was never designed to deal with getting picked up or watching someone else get picked up and used as a hitbox.

You will love Sima Shi's C4 + EX. There is really nothing like it with that much AoE.

You take that back, Xiahou Ba is the extreme classic archetypal hero, of the sort one sees in traditional ancient world literature, and he deserves all the ladies. :colbert:

Re: Li Dian: I'm sure I've done that a few times and no, it does not. It will go off and leave you with a bunch of untouched mooks clammoring to hit you. And he was absolutely aggrivating, that I recall, in matchups against other officers.

Re: Zhuge Dan: he's not a grappler, at least in the true Meng Huo / Ding Feng. He's just got some unblockable C finishers that do some krav maga baton looking poo poo. Speaking of Ding Feng gently caress YOUR GOD drat HULA HOOP. I'm not using him without gloves, and I will not cry losing his pretty great EX.

Re: Sima Shi: he is a proper loving monster. I'm restarting my barely-started Guan Yu ambition mode to use him. All I'm losing is Bao Sanniang... boo loving hoo.

Re: Xiahou Ba- even forgetting the really good reasons Perdido stated, his stupid doe-eyed animu characterization is insufferable.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

5er posted:

Re: Sima Shi: he is a proper loving monster. I'm restarting my barely-started Guan Yu ambition mode to use him. All I'm losing is Bao Sanniang... boo loving hoo.

Oh my. I haven't gotten around to buying DW8 yet but reading that Sima Shi became super beastly in it makes me want to go out right now and get it. He was my favorite character in DW7 and the Lightning Sword (he uses that in 8 right?) was incredibly fun in DW7E. drat you Dragon's Crown and SMT4 :(

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Policenaut posted:

Oh my. I haven't gotten around to buying DW8 yet but reading that Sima Shi became super beastly in it makes me want to go out right now and get it. He was my favorite character in DW7 and the Lightning Sword (he uses that in 8 right?) was incredibly fun in DW7E. drat you Dragon's Crown and SMT4 :(

Then you are in for a treat!

I'm cracking into Ambition Mode (which I assume is 'Shosei' in original Japanese), and I'm minding the explanations given for unlocking rare mounts. I apologize for this possibly brick-stupid question but when it is said, x number of battles without saving, what counts for a 'battle'? Taking down an enemy officer?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

5er posted:

I'm cracking into Ambition Mode (which I assume is 'Shosei' in original Japanese), and I'm minding the explanations given for unlocking rare mounts. I apologize for this possibly brick-stupid question but when it is said, x number of battles without saving, what counts for a 'battle'? Taking down an enemy officer?

Battles as in the individual stages. Like you'll see the number count up on the top of the screen between battles. You can save though, you just can't go back to camp. I got my rare mounts by doing 10 battles, saving, starting a new battle and quitting to the main menu to resume story mode every now and then.

Regarding Zhuge Dan, I think his charge attacks have decent damage for the animation time myself, but that is kind of subjective. His C4 or whichever it is where he catches the enemy in the gut and flings him with a shockwave did some work for me. The EX attack is kind of dumb so I usually just don't go for the second Triangle/Y attack and do just the regular attack without the EX. It leaves the enemy with their back to you with just enough time to launch into another combo, especially if you've got them Morassed (which is a fantastic new element). So maybe his rod is better as a second weapon for someone else so you don't accidentally trigger the full EX attack.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

5er posted:

You can do back-to-back battles without returning to camp. You need to do however many in a row before going back to camp to unlock the mounts.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I feel like we're looking at different characters when you guys talk about Ba. He kills Guo Hai in cold blood just to stay alive a little longer. He's one of the main reasons Shu is so easy to hate in the Jin campaign of 7.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Regarding mounts in Ambition Mode:

Every 30 battles without going back to camp unlocks a new rare mount. So you can get all 3 by doing 90 battles in a row without going back to camp. Or, you can do 30 battles and get Shadow Runner, then quit. If you come back and do another 30 battles, then you get Hex Mark. If you quit and do another 30 then you get Red Hare. HOWEVER, there is one mount, the War Elephant, that unlocks after 100 battles, and I don't believe you can do that one in stages like the others, so if you haven't started yet, then you might as well get all 4 of them in one go.

I recommend taking a character of at least level 40ish with a 5th weapon, or at least a pair of strong 4ths. You can set the difficulty to beginner, and it won't change anything besides how aggressive the troops are. (I say to bring a strong weapon only because after about 15 battles, the enemy defense gets so high that it takes FOREVER to kill them without one.) I took Xu Shu and was able to blow through 100 battles in about 3 hours without dipping below 80% of my health at any point because most of the enemies just stand there and look at you. All I did was run Material battles every time, and immediately went right for the boss of the stage. It took a while, but I had turned the sound off and listened to podcasts while I was doing it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

guest characters Guest characters GUEST CHARACTERS GUEST CHARACTERS

Sophitia from Soul Calibur to be the next guest character in Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate (Japanese language article until English media picks it up)

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Policenaut posted:

guest characters Guest characters GUEST CHARACTERS GUEST CHARACTERS

Sophitia from Soul Calibur to be the next guest character in Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate (Japanese language article until English media picks it up)

I wish I could get away with single emoticon responses because I can't really articulate anything more than :psyduck: for that news.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I was going to boggle my mind instead about how she's a Namco character and not a Tecmo or Koei character, but gently caress it, I suspect a lot of people would do things to themselves over this announcement and it's not worth thinking about.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 31, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Where's Rygar? Put Rygar in it, gently caress you Tecmo Koei.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Should have been Cassandra instead.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
I wish they'd pull from deeper into their Warriors games pool and add RX-78-2 and Kenshiro

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

OatmealRaisin posted:

I wish they'd pull from deeper into their Warriors games pool and add RX-78-2 and Kenshiro

Oh, god, can you imagine Kenshiro or Rei in an Orochi game? That'd just be....lovely.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Only if it's to scale :getin:

Or maybe just another DW:G game announcement, that would be great too.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I would have preferred Tira but hey at least it not another Ninja Gaiden character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

So we're just that much closer to having Spawn, Yoda and Link in a Dynasty Warriors game.

:getin: