Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Hey, nobody thought that someone could actually LP Phoenix Wright and Hellowinter did a pretty solid attempt at it. It's like Slowbeef said, there's nothing wrong with at least giving it a shot. All we need is for someone to show off how to do it right.

Hell, the fact that we're spending almost two pages discussing how to do this shows that someone has a pretty decent shot at making a good LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

ReturnOfFable posted:

Hell, the fact that we're spending almost two pages discussing how to do this shows that someone has a pretty decent shot at making a good LP.

You sure it doesn't just show that people love discussing their anime?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Oh, the LP is possible to make. It's just going to be a tremendous amount of effort. I'd really suggest he do something shorter just to get an understanding of what it's like to do an SSLP from start to finish.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Feinne posted:

Yeah, that would merely make it the sort of ordeal a Greek god would inflict upon someone to redeem their sins.

For the Crime of Loving Visual Novels you have to LP this 150 hour game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Lazyfire posted:

For the Crime of Loving Visual Novels you have to LP this 150 hour game.

I actually almost said my :science: approach would make the LP "a Herculean labor instead of a Sisyphean punishment" but reconsidered shortly before posting. So Feinne's followup comment was delightfully appropriate to me.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
I did already post this last night because it had a bunch of views and no feedback - so I figured it was okay. But I did want to respond to some of this.

Coolguye posted:

There's half a dozen instances of people yelling at civilians to control them in the first 5 minutes of the heist, with none of the players saying a darn thing about why they would do such a thing, as opposed to just blasting them. The first hint that you're not supposed to do that is when someone blows one away, and Bain yells at you guys. Even then there's no clue as to why you shouldn't.

I know you didn't watch the whole thing, but there are at least two or three instances in the level where killing civilians comes up - but it sounds like you're looking for an informative walkthrough, rather than just being able to infer that killing them is bad.

Coolguye posted:

You're playing this heist on Normal, a difficulty most people can complete while half asleep. ... On this front, you guys are all level 80+, there is no reason whatsoever you can't roll on Overkill unless two of your friends used cheating programs to get their levels. Doing that alone would make the video at least more interesting to me since I can conceivably imagine you guys dying due to being overpressured. As it stands now the only way I see you failing is total incompetence. That's not a good impression to start on.

Well, one guy is level 30, and obviously hasn't played much - but on missions where we have a higher level alternate we may do them on Hard. I'm not really sure what advantage you're seeing in an LP on Overkill or Overkill 145 - I think it would just make it more "businesslike" as you said. Overleveling seems to destroy commentary a lot of the time as people focus and/or get frustrated.

Coolguye posted:

I would question pretty heavily what you're bringing to the table with it. The presentation of this entire LP seems like you haven't fully talked about who you want your audience to be.

If you want this to more introduce people to the game, then things like the first multicam of showing people shooting out the security cameras while tying up the bank manager is too distracting. A normal viewer would have no idea where to look.

I think part of it is a similar problem to my Minecraft series - I'm not trying to cater to hardcore fans of the game, just show it off for people who haven't seen it before. People who know everything about it and have played through these levels 50 times before won't like it if they don't click with the group - as you apparently didn't. I'm not saying I want this to be personality based, I just think a lot of things in this game are so obvious (ex: Bain) that it can be informative without pointing it out so overtly like most of my series do.

The PiP sometimes shows important things, but other times it's just an alternate angle. During tying up the bank manager for instance, I'm showing what someone else is doing - there's no reason to stare at him being tied up for 5 seconds. I never use full swipes to another view because I don't have clean sound tracks from other perspectives. All theirs are going to have voice chat baked in - which means I can't properly level and duck all the sound. Switching completely to another view would look super weird if they were firing their gun and no sound was coming out of it. So the best I can do at this point is split screen.

I do appreciate the feedback, it's just hard to work with when someone seems to hate everything about the LP, especially when other people appear to be enjoying it. It was the same dichotomy on my Minecraft LP where some veterans absolutely hated it.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

unfair posted:

I think part of it is a similar problem to my Minecraft series - I'm not trying to cater to hardcore fans of the game, just show it off for people who haven't seen it before. People who know everything about it and have played through these levels 50 times before won't like it if they don't click with the group - as you apparently didn't. I'm not saying I want this to be personality based, I just think a lot of things in this game are so obvious (ex: Bain) that it can be informative without pointing it out so overtly like most of my series do.
I find it really hard to follow your line of reasoning here, dude. See, I never played the game and know nothing about it. After watching roughly ten minutes, I can gather that you're robbing a bank and shooting stuff. That's it.

Like, this is just "Watch me and my pals play this game". No explanation or direction on anything, and also no frame. Dunno, that doesn't interest me in any way. It's also not any different than any other group gaming video on YT. If people dig and know the game, they probably enjoy your stuff. But I honestly can't understand how you can say that this is supposed to be interesting for new people?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

unfair posted:

I do appreciate the feedback, it's just hard to work with when someone seems to hate everything about the LP, especially when other people appear to be enjoying it. It was the same dichotomy on my Minecraft LP where some veterans absolutely hated it.

Tin Tim sort of beat me to it, but to sum up Coolguye's issues (which also happen to be mine) in terms of "what you're bringing", you're not hitting the "Informative" button, because many of your cuts divide attention in unproductive ways, there's no post-commentary talking about what the hell is actually going on, and there's no real discussion. You're not hitting the "Humorous" buttons, because it's mostly the live reaction commentary you'd use playing normally (IE- "Oh crap, a Riot Cop!"). You're not hitting the "New Player Guide" button, because you don't even have things like tactics. At least you're not hitting the "YouTube Dump" button, because it's obvious you're at least putting in effort on this... It's just you pretty obviously don't have a clue where you're going, in terms of the basic types of VLP (Informative, Humorous, Challenges, and poo poo That Won't Stick On SA).

If you're really wanting to tell people about Payday, how to play it, how to win it, and the fun stuff involved, you're going to have to either improve your live commentary, or put a post-commentary track on there, explaining things that are important. Because right now, apart from demonstrating that yes, you can edit videos in good ways that could potentially be useful, you got nothing.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Pizzatime posted:

You sure it doesn't just show that people love discussing their anime?

Yeah, it's been like three pages of indecipherable Japanese game titles and "NSFW Panty Shots" to the rest of us.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

unfair posted:

People who know everything about it and have played through these levels 50 times before won't like it if they don't click with the group - as you apparently didn't. I'm not saying I want this to be personality based, I just think a lot of things in this game are so obvious (ex: Bain) that it can be informative without pointing it out so overtly like most of my series do.
Okay, you claim your primary audience here is the uninitiated. Fine, let's rattle off a few problems with that in the first 6 minutes I saw.
1) Your PiP overlays half the reason why you would want to shoot the cameras. The game gives you its half-hearted blurb, but you cover it up. Further, what objective effect does this have? I have no idea as a beginner.
2) You wait to let Bain tell you not to shoot civilians, but I never know why. Why should I care if the voice in my head says don't shoot these obnoxious douchebags that get in my way? This question persists through the first 1/3rd of your video and it is distracting as all hell.
3) I hear Bain crying about the police releasing civilians, and see the popup. I have no idea why this is important. Even upon closer inspection it looks like you still have the hostage you took (you do). So what is going on here? Is it a bug? This combines with 2/3 to make me wonder what the point behind civilians even is beyond 'pissing the player off'.
4) Bain alerts you to a Bulldozer. Nobody reacts. What's a Bulldozer? Should I expect a large yellow construction vehicle to bash through the front windows momentarily?

None of these require more than a 3-5 second comment to dispel the mystery and keep things moving along. You say you are letting the game speak for itself, but it doesn't do a great job of that in a video, it does that through experience. The game never bothers telling you that a Cloaker can OHKO your rear end if you let it get in close, for example. Were you planning on intentionally letting yourself get kicked so you could show that off? Furthermore, if the game is supposed to speak for itself, what's my motivation to watch you as opposed to the other 10k+ Payday videos on Youtube?

You do not seem to be following your own mission statement here. This is not like your minecraft LP, I didn't watch or even comment on that LP so I'm not sure why you're bringing that up. If anything the fact that you bring it up is indicative that you have a chronic problem that you've yet to address. I have no strong feelings about you one way or the other, it's not that I simply 'don't like' your work or something. My criticism is that you are doing a poor job of drawing your intended audience in. And that's like, your primary job as a content creator.

e:

Tin Tim posted:

Like, this is just "Watch me and my pals play this game". No explanation or direction on anything, and also no frame. Dunno, that doesn't interest me in any way. It's also not any different than any other group gaming video on YT. If people dig and know the game, they probably enjoy your stuff. But I honestly can't understand how you can say that this is supposed to be interesting for new people?

For reference, from my perspective as an experienced player, I looked at the levels involved (though I guess Youtube corruption made me think his one friend's '3' was an '8', there's a HUGE difference between those two levels in this game), looked at the map, looked at the difficulty, and I knew exactly how that was going to go down. Then after 5 minutes of VOIP chatter I've heard and made a billion times I just totally conked out. I can, no exaggeration, get this identical experience 5 minutes from now by loading up Payday and insisting that the pubbies that join have microphones. Most of them do nowadays because the game is old and only diehards play it anymore. So even as someone who's spent Too Many drat Hours on this game I cannot enjoy what's been presented.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 30, 2013

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Mush Man posted:

If you have nothing to add to the intro credit sequence it should be a seperate video. Your subtitles should last roughly long enough to read one and a half to two times. It's not a good idea to put up subtitles at the same time as ingame speech because you cannot focus on both at once. Make sure you make relevant comments after the game's dialogue. Having them appear together means viewers will either be ahead of the game by reading the subtitle first or need to rewind to read your subtitle after listening to the game. Subtitles for the game don't really seem necessary. Consider showing the tutorial if it has interesting dialogue.

Right, I will rework the subtitles, cut the intro into its own vidoe and such, but as for the tutorial its dialogue isn't that interesting. I think the most interesting part is the way he comes up and asks you if you want to do the tutorial. Thanks for the advice.

Senior Scarybagels fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 30, 2013

Fizzy Pop
Jul 26, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
I'm... not really entirely sure what you guys want me to do here?

Like all I'm getting from this so far is the feedback in terms of portrait size, file type, etc.

The length of the VN doesn't really matter to me. I knew what I was getting into when I decided I wanted to go with something like Higurashi, which is long as hell. It would be a very long LP, but some arcs are longer than others and it's not as much effort as you may think it is. If I were to make the few tweaks mentioned here, such as the portrait size and file type, that would only take me so long.

Basically, I know what I'm getting into LPing Higurashi but the responses so far are making me take a step back and wonder if it's really something worth SSLPing in the first place.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Fizzy Pop posted:

Like all I'm getting from this so far is the feedback in terms of portrait size, file type, etc.

The length of the VN doesn't really matter to me. I knew what I was getting into when I decided I wanted to go with something like Higurashi, which is long as hell. It would be a very long LP, but some arcs are longer than others and it's not as much effort as you may think it is. If I were to make the few tweaks mentioned here, such as the portrait size and file type, that would only take me so long.

Basically, I know what I'm getting into LPing Higurashi but the responses so far are making me take a step back and wonder if it's really something worth SSLPing in the first place.

Dude at this point, just make a test post and let that speak for itself.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

ReturnOfFable posted:

Dude at this point, just make a test post and let that speak for itself.
He did?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3485255&userid=203333#post417917180

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Okay, lemme sum up what's going on for ya, Fizzy Pop.

First off, people are wondering if you really want to devote your time (a lot of it) to doing Higurashi. 150 hours is no easy thing, especially with all that transcription, proper screenshotting, etc, and people are afraid you'll burn out. Secondly, the portrait issue is very important, because you want smallish shots for just conversations. Go look at any of the SSLPs here, and you'll generally find the screenshots for portraits no bigger than something like 75 pixels in height, and 70 in width. This is because you're going to be loading a lot of them, and double spacing the images, which will lead to a lot of pics. This then leads into image size. Image size is something you're really going to have to watch. If you're using PNGs (which Baldurk doesn't recommend), you're going to need to run them through something like TinyPNG to optimise them, make sure they don't break tables (no bigger than 1024x768), and make every effort to keep the filesize down. We may not be in the 56k age anymore, but people still get annoyed when, just as an example, you load up the thread, and all of a sudden, you lose where you were because fifty-squillion images suddenly load in.

And as far as the length of the VN, they're more worried about how long it's going to take you with the updates the length they are. Update length is a balancing act, because, on the one hand, posts have a character limit (also an emoticon limit) and you don't want to bore people's tits off, but if you have short posts, you're going to take so long to get anywhere interesting that people will drift. So people are trying to help you improve the quality, while at the same time wanting to make sure you're not heading for LP Burnout (HQ: Buttfuck, Nowhere).

Understand a little better now?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah, the balancing act of getting a game done in a reasonable timeframe while also not ending up with updates that take unreasonably large amounts of your time to put together is the hard part, because both can burn you out. Trust me on this.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

My mistake, I didn't notice that.

Definitely make the portraits a little smaller. If your going to be adding in your own commentary alongside the narrative, make sure to italicize it or something so that we know it is different from the game's dialog. Other than that, I don't really see anything that somebody has not already mentioned.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The burnout is definitely the biggest thing I'd be worried about. If you think you can do it, I say at least try. My biggest piece of advice is to make sure you have a good update buffer.

I didn't get much more than a tenth of the way through Heroes V when I abandoned it. I started with only a couple of updates done, and seven or eight later I'd be wanting to do an update a week, have none sitting around and have to spend four or five hours recording, going through and extracting screenshots, then adding my extra info, commentary and transcribing any conversations. I'm going to try and pick that up again before it leaves the live forums, and I could start again now, but I'm putting together a much bigger buffer so I can afford to say "I really don't feel like doing that this week" or just not to have the time to put into it. You could probably be a whole lot more efficient with a VN if you can set up some way of extracting text shots and transcribing them automatically, and I'm probably just slow.

I don't know how much you're going to be adding on top of the game, but for me I was spending probably eight hours on one mission, which played for 40 minutes to an hour, produced 100+ images and 2 updates, with a comment for most images. Once I was adding in unit summaries and outlines for all the new things we met as well as inane chitchat about what I was doing in the game, it really started to get long.

Also, I'm generally low on confidence and all that, but it was really easy for me to feel like it wasn't really worth showing the game off. It was fun playing it, but I spent way more hours on that thread than I got posts that weren't my own updates, and in the end what probably cut me off was how hard it was to spend half a weekend making a couple of updates, and then having to do it again a couple of weeks later, with only 100 extra views on the thread, probably a dozen of which were mine, and only a couple of comments. If you're even the slightest bit insecure, please, please try and find some audience participation or have something interesting happen every update. When my not terribly popular game had an update which was almost entirely map exploration and resource collecting, it felt like it was important to show how the mission played out but there wasn't really anything to talk about and I was lucky to get any posts at all. Even Dangan Ronpa 2 had trouble getting posts in the early stages when there was basically nothing new we learned in an update, and it really sounds like this game is going to drag on a long time. Having six or seven updates on every single page, particularly with long updates, will cripple both your will to keep entertaining the three people reading, and also the internet connection of everyone watching.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

ReturnOfFable posted:

Hey, nobody thought that someone could actually LP Phoenix Wright and Hellowinter did a pretty solid attempt at it. It's like Slowbeef said, there's nothing wrong with at least giving it a shot. All we need is for someone to show off how to do it right.

Effectively using the format that Mega64 laid out in his attempt. Not to take away anything from Hellowinter, but credit where it's due.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Explosionface posted:

Effectively using the format that Mega64 laid out in his attempt. Not to take away anything from Hellowinter, but credit where it's due.

Yeah, someone else burned out partway through doing it the right way and that shouldn't be forgotten.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
You also are not obligated to do an LP once you sign up. It's a lot of fun, but it's also a lot of hard work, and if this is sort of a rebound game choice because your porn game LP got poo poo on, don't do it.

That said, if you're feeling it 110%, please show us test post for us to relentlessly mock.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

unfair posted:

Well, one guy is level 30, and obviously hasn't played much - but on missions where we have a higher level alternate we may do them on Hard. I'm not really sure what advantage you're seeing in an LP on Overkill or Overkill 145 - I think it would just make it more "businesslike" as you said. Overleveling seems to destroy commentary a lot of the time as people focus and/or get frustrated.

More difficulty makes it more entertaining with this kind of game. Watching people who know how to play steamroll a mission is boring. And it is really not hard to be entertaining and funny at the same time on harder difficulties. Also what the gently caress does Minecraft have to do with this?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MooCowlian posted:

The burnout is definitely the biggest thing I'd be worried about. If you think you can do it, I say at least try. My biggest piece of advice is to make sure you have a good update buffer.

Not to mention ensuring that your life doesn't interfere with your update schedule (I speak from experience :v:).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Explosionface posted:

She made it much, much further than I did, though, so she deserves more props for that.

But as everyone else has mentioned, that's the thing about doing LP's of stuff like visual novels. You'll be transcribing a ton more dialogue than the usual LP, so you'll end up spending two or three hours just to do fifteen minutes of gameplay, as opposed to an hour or two for an RPG. Something so text heavy also gave me less opportunity to do commentary, which is a lot of the fun for me of doing LP's to begin with. And finally, these types of games will end up taking longer than most other games, like around a year or so, or perhaps longer in your case, so it might get annoying if you're the type who prefers hopping around to different games.

One trick would be to do a few updates before actually posting a thread just to make sure you'd be fine with the workload. It'll help you decide if you want to do the LP for the long haul. And even if you do it for a few months and something big comes up in life or you just get burned out, there's nothing wrong with giving up.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

MooCowlian posted:

The burnout is definitely the biggest thing I'd be worried about.

I can attest to this. I tried doing a short adventure game as my first LP, and I burned out hard because I wasn't prepared for all the work involved. I still want to revisit it, but I need to make sure I have everything ready beforehand.

Dithiannim
Nov 8, 2012

tiistai posted:

There's five arcs in total each including 3-4 separate VNs. Pretty much just the first two arcs (8 out of 18 VNs) are the really important ones.

e: It's still long as hell, obviously, but it's not 150 hours. Unless he seriously plans on doing all of it.

Take it from the guy who did the Longplay.

8 eight arcs translated by MangaGamer and Saikoroshi was fan translated, leaving 9 arcs to LP.

Unless you plan on translating some of the more important arcs like the Miotsukushi arc (which is the "true end" that was never translated) I don't see a reason for the LP. Higurashi is a static visual novel series so there is really no point in even LPing it. What your LP will be is either screenshots or transcriptions of the game since there is no reason to make comments during it. It'll basically just be a screenshot or textdump.

Another thing is the music and audio cues. You will have to record various parts such as the cicadas and put them on loop along with the music.

It's certainly not a good first LP, I'd recommend leaving it for later if you do decide to do it and do a much shorter visual novel and one that might have more feedback for your thread. Or try out something else entirely.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Dithiannim posted:

I don't see a reason for the LP. Higurashi is a static visual novel series so there is really no point in even LPing it. What your LP will be is either screenshots or transcriptions of the game since there is no reason to make comments during it. It'll basically just be a screenshot or textdump.

I could say the same for Umineko honestly, but that somehow has a thread here (That I think people like?)

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
LP a thing you like. If you can't think of a thing you like enough that you particularly want to share it with people, don't make an LP.

Really bloody simple. There's no need to go over "candidates of things to LP" or whatever. If you seriously need to go wavering about on what to make a Let's Play, or otherwise need people giving you advise on what games to do, don't do one, because if you do it will most likely suck.

How about we get back to more Sandcastlesque topics rather than continuing this pointless topic of discussion?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Hopefully the third time's the charm

When I say woogie you say oogie! Let's Play Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes!

What is Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes?

Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes is the sequel to the rather panned game "Edna & Harvey: The Breakout" (although no fault of the game itself, it's more due to the terrible translation). Both of which are adventure games featuring some fiendish puzzles, with a weird, black humor flowing through its world. The games were created by Jan Müller Michaelis, one of the founders of Daedalic entertainment, who I am beginning to really see as one of my favorite companies. They also produced games like Deponia, and localized several of telltale's games for German audiences.

Then Who are the Main Characters

First we have Lilli, the most virtuous girl in the world. The main character of the story whose words are mostly in the form of grunts and sounds rather than words. We learn more about her as the game goes on.

Edna is Lilli's only friend, and the one person that helps Lilli live in this convent, but something is off about her.

Mother Superior hates children, and runs an orphanage at the convent, the one thing she hates more than children is Lilli. To her, Lilli can do nothing right and deserves all the yelling at and punishment.

Videos
Intro
CONVENTional Tasks(this isn't the actual episode title mind you, just a test post one)

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Already done a test over a month ago but wanna do a quick check before I start the thread. I fixed up some stuff from last time (audio quality mainly) so tell me if anything still looks or sounds funny:

Amped 3: Good ol' Fashion Snowboarding

Developer: Indie Built
Publisher: 2K Sports
Release Dates:
US: Nov 16, 2005
EU: Dec 2, 2005

Wikipedia posted:

"Amped 3 features several ski resorts with a wide variety of challenges in addition to the main story. Completing these challenges gives the player respect points and money. In addition, certain challenges unlock new clothing, gear, tricks, and music. These challenges include media call-outs (that require the player to perform a certain type of trick), timed runs, sled and snowmobile challenges, races that require the player to collect a certain number of objects within a set time, and challenges that require the player to beat a professional snowboarder. Gaining respect points allow the player to unlock new areas of the mountain and advance the main story.

The game features Single player mode only, while having mini 2 player games throughout. No online content or play is available."
While Amped 1 and 2 went for a more straight forward sports title (and a good alternative to SSX), Amped 3 wanted more. What we ended up was something that has to be seen. A variety of animation styles, some humor about itself and what we all came to see: snowboarding! The game did pretty well for itself as a 360 launch title but this would end up being the company's last title. Least they went out on a bang.

This LP is more of a casual run through the game, so I'm going for just one guest per video. While there's not a lot to spoil gameplay wise, but let's keep the story bits in spoiler tags.

I might bother showing off the creator in-game (never touched it honestly) if there's enough interest or if I have some spare time at the end of the LP.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
So I've been doing some videos where I talk to LPers about whatever I find interesting about them. So far, I talked to a LPer about her experience using Google AdWords and a LPer that commentates his wrestling LP like a wrestling commentator.

I know these aren't LPs and are only tangentially related but was wondering could I get some feedback on the structure, editing, or just whether it was enjoyable or not.

Additionally, I've actually talked a bit about SA's LP forum with both people (only the wrestling video had it recorded) as well as with other LPers but I'm not an authority on the subject. Still pretty new here.

I was thinking about doing a video talking about the SA LP forums with people who been here a long time or maybe even some mods. Maybe talk about the effect of the account system on what content makes it here, my theory that SA tends to attract more viewers than other forums because it is curated as opposed to a dumping ground, etc.

Would anyone be willing to do that? Or is there a fight club rule that I don't know about?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

So am I good to go?

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler

Fizzy Pop posted:

Your test post didn't pass. Your commentary doesn't contribute enough as it is, let alone to carry the LP for the squillion hours it apparently goes for. You have three options:
  • Make a new test post with better commentary.
  • Make a new test post of a new game.
  • Don't make an LP.

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Just some stylistic criticisms. I think you should write a little more in depth about the setting. You had more detail in the second test that I reckon you have enough time to put in. Even small details like leaving the cellar open and how that will probably get you in trouble later. You may need to work on your humour though. I see you carried over the rake simulator joke from the last attempt and, even though it's much shorter, it doesn't really stick because stuff like that is really common in adventure games. Nevertheless, you don't really need to make a new test post if you change anything. You're pretty much all set.

GameboyHero posted:

Amped 3: Good ol' Fashion Snowboarding

You should cut out creating a save file. It's not interesting or necessary. You should keep the commentary when the arcade thing comes up until the dialogue starts since it's really jarring to see that for the first time and have the commentary disappear completely. It seems like you could easily use it in your material! Otherwise, pretty good.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Mush Man posted:

Just some stylistic criticisms. I think you should write a little more in depth about the setting. You had more detail in the second test that I reckon you have enough time to put in. Even small details like leaving the cellar open and how that will probably get you in trouble later. You may need to work on your humour though. I see you carried over the rake simulator joke from the last attempt and, even though it's much shorter, it doesn't really stick because stuff like that is really common in adventure games. Nevertheless, you don't really need to make a new test post if you change anything. You're pretty much all set.

Right, thanks for the advice I will do a bit of reworking on the stuff, I was mostly just trying to keep from having commentary during the vocal tracks and that takes a large portion of the video.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Your OP contains very little information about the setting of the game, but if that's something you're supposed to find out as you progress then at least make mention of it either in the video or the OP post. Otherwise, it took me a while to figure where we were and what was happening.

Other than that, I am pretty :allears: about a thread for this game. Looks very interesting.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Your OP contains very little information about the setting of the game, but if that's something you're supposed to find out as you progress then at least make mention of it either in the video or the OP post. Otherwise, it took me a while to figure where we were and what was happening.

Other than that, I am pretty :allears: about a thread for this game. Looks very interesting.

Right, I am working on adding a bit more information to the first video and then I will get the thread up.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

VivaVizer posted:

LP Documentaries?

Er, no unwritten rule I've heard of, and I know I'd be up for it, but... I really don't know what use I'd be, beyond the obvious (Recettear... My eternal lesson to other LPers... *sigh*)

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Thread Title: Only an Eastern Mind could come up with this game!

Eastern Mind: The Lost Souls of Tong-Nou is a point and click game released in 1994 that tells the story of Rin, a man who recently discovered the absence of his soul and sets off for the island of Tong-Nou in order to retrieve it. The introductory plot is mostly just a framing device for the various ways the games represents things like self-discovery, reincarnation and a spiritual journey, Eastern Mind tells a fairly abstract story by representing concepts via various metaphorical means as you press on through the game.

The game was made by Osamu Sato, who is primarily a musician which is why all of his video-game work is published by Sony Music Entertainment, he had massive creative control over the entire project and boy does it ever show in Eastern Mind. I find the fact that this game exists as it does and was in fact marketed like that to be incredibly amazing. It's a game that is truly unlike anything else, it makes plenty of bold moves with narrative and gameplay style in the point and click genre. A lot of how remarkably inventive this game is gets a bit lost behind the fact the game is just really loving weird. And it is, and that is certainly part of the charm of it all.

Spoilers

Discuss the plot and the metaphors and however you interpret the game all you like, but don't post about events in the game that have yet to occur. These things really are best experienced with no prior knowledge of them.

Videos

TEST POST ENDS HERE

Okay, let me ask a question about how to handle the way the game handles it's extremely non-linear nature. Basically, in order to beat the game, I have to successfully fulfil nine lives and these nine lives can be handled in any order the player pleases. These lives take the form of becoming another creature of Tong-Nou, my original idea was to just post all nine of their entries from the Tong-Nou Illustrated Book and have people vote after each life for what one they wanted to see next.

The problem is these lives last wildly differing amounts of time, ranging from 10 minutes to a couple of seconds. And I'm not sure if it's better to just allow the thread to screw itself sometimes with a relatively brief update or just cut the choices altogether and do the longer lives in whatever order I please and compile the short ones into their own video.

Thoughts? Feel free to suggest better thread titles by the way, I'm not sure I like my choice. Also, I worry my OP post might be too brief.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

JamieTheD posted:

Er, no unwritten rule I've heard of, and I know I'd be up for it, but... I really don't know what use I'd be, beyond the obvious (Recettear... My eternal lesson to other LPers... *sigh*)

Well, on the general topic of the SA community, I'd like to get any perspective that isn't me.

However, what is this eternal lesson of Recettear? Actually, I guess it might be better to take this conversation to PM's. You have that feature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3562941

Thank you all for your help, taking your advice in I know the LP will turn out great.

• Locked thread