Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mescal posted:

I've just gotten a safe deposit box and I'm interested in this question too. What's the obvious, anyway?

Another banking question: what constitutes a legally valid check? I asked a banker and he said you can't just write out the necessary details on any old piece of paper. He also said that the magnetic-ink encoding isn't what makes the difference, since it's relatively easy to buy the machine and ink to do that and many non-bank businesses do. So what's the crucial detail?

The banker is half-right. A legally valid check can be made out on just about anything, but many banks will refuse to execute payment on checks not created in a standard format.

Often non-standard checks end up needing to get special approval from higher level employees at both the paying and the receiving banks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Mescal posted:

I've just gotten a safe deposit box and I'm interested in this question too. What's the obvious, anyway?

Why are people getting safety deposit boxes if they don't know what they want to put in them?

My understanding is that they're best for
A) Extremely valuable or
B) Important and irreplaceable
things that you don't need to get to very frequently. It's (anecdotally) not a convenient place to store stuff, so people talking about rotating out hard drives sounds excessive to me.

Examples of the sort of things I've heard of in safety deposit boxes are heirloom jewelry that doesn't get a lot of use, stock certficates, and the like.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I've got property deeds, car titles, important documents such as a will, insurance appraisals for jewelry and jewelry itself in mine.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

KnifeWrench posted:

Why are people getting safety deposit boxes if they don't know what they want to put in them?

I got mine for free.

Bovril Delight posted:

I've got property deeds, car titles, important documents such as a will, insurance appraisals for jewelry and jewelry itself in mine.

Is jewelry appraised near replacement cost or resell value? People say there's a vast difference, I don't know if that's true.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mescal posted:

I got mine for free.

Is jewelry appraised near replacement cost or resell value? People say there's a vast difference, I don't know if that's true.

Replacement. You bring it to a certified person who completes an appraisal which you give a copy to your insurance company. Ran about $120 for a wedding ring. I'm sure if you had a bunch of stuff it would be cheaper per item.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

KnifeWrench posted:

so people talking about rotating out hard drives sounds excessive to me.

I haven't done it (yet) just thought about it. I've known several people my age who don't have a whole lot of a clue what they looked like as a little kid due to photo albums destroyed in house fires and whose parents can't see that either. My pictures of my kids (more valuable than any jewelry to me) are all on my main desktop/server or some on mine or wife's phone that hasn't been synced, a house fire or added bonus modern option burglary could take them all away. I'm going to take steps to keep those kid pictures safe now that those steps are available to me (external HDD) and the risk of loss now vs. 80s is greater due to them being stored on something attractive to burglars.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 31, 2013

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

KnifeWrench posted:

My understanding is that they're best for
A) Extremely valuable or
B) Important and irreplaceable
things that you don't need to get to very frequently. It's (anecdotally) not a convenient place to store stuff, so people talking about rotating out hard drives sounds excessive to me.

Examples of the sort of things I've heard of in safety deposit boxes are heirloom jewelry that doesn't get a lot of use, stock certficates, and the like.

This is a pretty comprehensive list.

For B, I think it is important and/or irreplaceable. My official birth certificate isn't irreplaceable, but is a huge pain to get replaced since I live 700 miles from where I was born.

An important one that most people don't think of: I keep an SD card in mine with pictures of anything of value in my house and make sure to take shots of any serial numbers or whatever. I update that about once a quarter.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Call Now posted:

Is renting a flat way more popular than just buying it? I see American people complaining about landlords and stuff all the time.

data from http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=ACS_11_1YR_S2504&prodType=table and https://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/webapi/jsf/tableView/customiseTable.xhtml

edit: more useful:

dokmo fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 31, 2013

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
How much, if any, Australian TV shows do New Zealanders watch? Is it like Australia where there is a good mix of US, British, and unwatchable local shows?

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Wagonburner posted:

I haven't done it (yet) just thought about it. I've known several people my age who don't have a whole lot of a clue what they looked like as a little kid due to photo albums destroyed in house fires and whose parents can't see that either. My pictures of my kids (more valuable than any jewelry to me) are all on my main desktop/server or some on mine or wife's phone that hasn't been synced, a house fire or added bonus modern option burglary could take them all away. I'm going to take steps to keep those kid pictures safe now that those steps are available to me (external HDD) and the risk of loss now vs. 80s is greater due to them being stored on something attractive to burglars.

I have the Dropbox app on my phone. I have it set to automatically upload my pictures so I don't have to worry about it anymore. Now if everything we own is destroyed, I can still get to my pictures of my children from any computer.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Randomity posted:

I have the Dropbox app on my phone. I have it set to automatically upload my pictures so I don't have to worry about it anymore. Now if everything we own is destroyed, I can still get to my pictures of my children from any computer.
Yeah, Amazon Cloud or Google Drive or DropBox are all going to be substantially more secure than an external hard drive you keep in a safe deposit box.

All of those services have redundant servers; all it takes is one single hardware failure at the wrong time, and your poo poo is gone if it's in a safe deposit box. Also, if you only back up every six months, you're still losing up to six months' worth of poo poo. If you wanted to be really paranoid, you could put it on multiple cloud services.

And even if you want to go the safe deposit box route, for things that aren't going to change--like photos--I would burn those to DVDs and put the DVDs in there. If you drop a DVD, or get it wet, it's not going to break. And hell, you could make multiple copies, give a set to your parents or siblings or something just to hang onto for you.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, Amazon Cloud or Google Drive or DropBox are all going to be substantially more secure than an external hard drive you keep in a safe deposit box.

All of those services have redundant servers; all it takes is one single hardware failure at the wrong time, and your poo poo is gone if it's in a safe deposit box. Also, if you only back up every six months, you're still losing up to six months' worth of poo poo. If you wanted to be really paranoid, you could put it on multiple cloud services.

And even if you want to go the safe deposit box route, for things that aren't going to change--like photos--I would burn those to DVDs and put the DVDs in there. If you drop a DVD, or get it wet, it's not going to break. And hell, you could make multiple copies, give a set to your parents or siblings or something just to hang onto for you.

Adding to this, a magnetic hard drive will degrade over the years, even in storage. If I wanted an extremely important file 20 years from now, I would at least copy it to a different device every few years.

But more likely, as others have said, I'd put it in a cloud service.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Raimundus posted:

Wait, where you live, do you typically make a distinction between a condominium and an apartment? In the U.S., we buy condos and rent apartments. I've actually never heard of anyone buying an individual apartment.

I didn't even know it was an actual difference, thought that were varying names for any place to live that's not a full house :confused: Didn't know there was a difference to the name depending on whether you buy, rent or TBS it. I was surprised to hear that, because landlords here don't have any obligations to keep the place working.
[quote="Mescal" post="417

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

stubblyhead posted:

Do people who are allergic to bee stings generally have allergic reactions to other insect stings as well?

I tend not to notice mosquito bites. Fire ants are hell on earth, or they were the last time I came in contact with one. I know some ant here in New Mexico bit me a year or so ago and it took forever for the site to stop itching and being swollen. So I guess the answer to your question is - it depends on the insect.

And as much as I love looking at bees from a safe distance, if they come close to me I am getting the gently caress out of that situation because I would rather not spend the rest of my day in the ER.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

If I want to buy an album by a small/local musical artist, what is the best way to support her?

I imagine buying a CD from her at a show is the best, but I'd slightly prefer to buy it online (google play). Will she see a similar amount of profit from this, or should I suck it up and buy a CD?

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

Call Now posted:

landlords here don't have any obligations to keep the place working.

Our landlords are required by law to maintain buildings to a certain, livable standard and to ensure that basic utilities are available. Those laws vary by state.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

LivesInGrey posted:

I tend not to notice mosquito bites. Fire ants are hell on earth, or they were the last time I came in contact with one. I know some ant here in New Mexico bit me a year or so ago and it took forever for the site to stop itching and being swollen. So I guess the answer to your question is - it depends on the insect.

And as much as I love looking at bees from a safe distance, if they come close to me I am getting the gently caress out of that situation because I would rather not spend the rest of my day in the ER.

How about hornets and yellow jackets and the like? Would you be heading to the hospital if you were stung by one of those?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Call Now posted:

I didn't even know it was an actual difference, thought that were varying names for any place to live that's not a full house :confused: Didn't know there was a difference to the name depending on whether you buy, rent or TBS it. I was surprised to hear that, because landlords here don't have any obligations to keep the place working.

Apartment buildings are owned by a single person/entity and rented individually. Condos are sold and owned individually. They can be basically the same thing, but each condo is a separate property.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

alnilam posted:

If I want to buy an album by a small/local musical artist, what is the best way to support her?

I imagine buying a CD from her at a show is the best, but I'd slightly prefer to buy it online (google play). Will she see a similar amount of profit from this, or should I suck it up and buy a CD?

If you buy a physical CD from them, at a show, they'll get the full cost of the CD. If you buy it online, they'll get something like $1.25.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Quick HTML question for Tumblr:

I'm writing a lengthy post. How do I make a "click this link to see the full post" link.

Also, I'm including large photos that contain a lot of text. What's the code to post a small, clickable version of the photo that links to the original size?

EDIT: Nevermind

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 1, 2013

Goldfinch
Feb 15, 2013

big-boned :colbert:
There may be a stupid/small questions thread I'm missing in SAL that would be better for this, so let me know if this is the wrong place to ask.

I have a higher-ed academic job (adjunct teacher), and I'm in the process of applying for full-time work at various places. Because potential employers want sealed letters of reference, I'm pretty much locked into using a third-party thing like http://www.interfolio.com/, right?

Does anyone have any recommendations for how best to do this? If Interfolio is the best option, I guess I'll do that, but I'm poor (or maybe just cheap). If I apply for 20 jobs, having my papers mailed is $6 each, so that's $120 plus the annual membership fee.

Of course, if I get a job, it's totally worth it... I just don't have a lot of disposable money right now, so I want to make sure I'm doing this right and not wasting it.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
My family and I just acquired a group of 8 guitars, and we're trying to figure out what they're worth and sell them.

5 of them are signed by the members of well known bands, like Journey, Poison, and Foreigner (I think). 2 of them unfortunately are missing the lead singer's signatures but have those of the rest of the band, the other 3 have signatures of the entire band. I believe the signatures have been authenticated as being genuine.

How do we go about selling these? Would it be best to sell them as a group, or individually? We know nothing about guitars.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Orange Sunshine posted:

My family and I just acquired a group of 8 guitars, and we're trying to figure out what they're worth and sell them.

5 of them are signed by the members of well known bands, like Journey, Poison, and Foreigner (I think). 2 of them unfortunately are missing the lead singer's signatures but have those of the rest of the band, the other 3 have signatures of the entire band. I believe the signatures have been authenticated as being genuine.

How do we go about selling these? Would it be best to sell them as a group, or individually? We know nothing about guitars.
What brands/models are they? Got any pictures? It's basically impossible to tell you without being able to see them, and even then you'll need someone to look at them in person to get anything appraised. Do you know if they were ever used by the bands?

I will say that if they were nice expensive guitars before they were signed, then they will generally have appreciated in value. If they were cheap and basic then the signature isn't going to add too much imo, afaik the members of those bands are mostly all still alive and signing stuff all the time.

[edit]there should be serial numbers on the back of the head of the neck, try googling them to get a date for the guitars.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 1, 2013

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Orange Sunshine posted:

I sold guitars, including autographed memorabilia at a store for 8 years in high school and college, I could help you figure out what they're worth and where to sell if you'd like, you can PM me.

Generally, there are probably auction houses that would take a collection like that on as a lot, but eBay honestly still isn't a terrible option for you, just make sure you turn off international bidding.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Goldfinch posted:

There may be a stupid/small questions thread I'm missing in SAL that would be better for this, so let me know if this is the wrong place to ask.

I have a higher-ed academic job (adjunct teacher), and I'm in the process of applying for full-time work at various places. Because potential employers want sealed letters of reference, I'm pretty much locked into using a third-party thing like http://www.interfolio.com/, right?

Does anyone have any recommendations for how best to do this? If Interfolio is the best option, I guess I'll do that, but I'm poor (or maybe just cheap). If I apply for 20 jobs, having my papers mailed is $6 each, so that's $120 plus the annual membership fee.

Of course, if I get a job, it's totally worth it... I just don't have a lot of disposable money right now, so I want to make sure I'm doing this right and not wasting it.

Maybe I'm not understanding exactly what you're trying to do here but... why can't your references just send them the letter? That's what I did when I needed 3 sealed letters of reference for grad school. I just had my references send it directly to the school and I never saw it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Orange Sunshine posted:

They could range anywhere from worthless to a fair chunk of change. Gotta give us as much info as you can. Try the guitar thread in Musician's Lounge as well.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I just found three little bug bites in a row on my upper leg and I'm worried the hotel I'm at has bedbugs. I've stripped the sheets and mattress and can't find any evidence. I'm worried I'll take some home with me in my luggage.

Anything else I should be looking for? How do I know what kind of bites I got? Tips?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
If a company has a slogan trademarked, like "I'm lovin' it" or "Made from the best stuff on earth", is it trademarked in every language or just the one it's in?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Goldfinch posted:

Can't you just have your recommenders write the letter and seal it in an envelope for you, or even mail it directly? That's what I did.

User-Friendly posted:

If a company has a slogan trademarked, like "I'm lovin' it" or "Made from the best stuff on earth", is it trademarked in every language or just the one it's in?
It's a bit complicated but in general companies trademark specific translations (or variations that are "better" in other languages.)

randyest fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 1, 2013

Goldfinch
Feb 15, 2013

razz posted:

Maybe I'm not understanding exactly what you're trying to do here but... why can't your references just send them the letter? That's what I did when I needed 3 sealed letters of reference for grad school. I just had my references send it directly to the school and I never saw it.

I guess I didn't want to put the burden of mailing out 20 envelopes to different addresses on the recommendation writers, but if that's a standard practice, I'll go for it. Thanks!

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Goldfinch posted:

I guess I didn't want to put the burden of mailing out 20 envelopes to different addresses on the recommendation writers, but if that's a standard practice, I'll go for it. Thanks!
If you're worried about it give them each a pre-addressed, stamped envelope.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Yep you may want to do that if you're having them each send out a lot. Because all they'd have to do was type up the letter and print out that many copies and put them in an envelope, which I'm sure wouldn't be too much of a hassle for someone who likes you enough to recommend you :)

I applied to I think 3 (maybe 4?) grad schools and I just e-mailed my reference people with the school's address, and they got the letters sent out.

Goldfinch
Feb 15, 2013

Thanks, guys. I think maybe the smart thing to do would be to ask my colleagues which they prefer for writing letters (and which they prefer to get when they're on search committees). Then I can go with that (and definitely provide the envelopes and stuff - maybe I'm just lazy, but I've had to write letters of rec before, and I'd be slightly annoyed to have to seal, stamp and mail twenty of them myself).

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Anyone here make smoothies on a regular basis? I'm wondering if the Blendtec or Vita-Mix are overkill. Should I just get a cheap-ish blender instead of splurging?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dudebro posted:

Anyone here make smoothies on a regular basis? I'm wondering if the Blendtec or Vita-Mix are overkill. Should I just get a cheap-ish blender instead of splurging?

I've been using a cheap one for awhile. I wouldn't spring for a high dollar one if you aren't using it constantly.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Dudebro posted:

Don't skimp on quality. This megathread is still the authoritative source of information: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1798430

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Dudebro posted:

Those are awesome for serious blending but totally unnecessary for just smoothies. Even a $10 walmart blender will make fine smoothies.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
I read a short story as a kid that was about an astronaut or someone crash landing on a planet and broke his ship. He ends up meeting some people that live underground in the rocks and are willing to help him fix it. However, on take off, the ship gets going but the people that helped him didn't understand that he wanted to go outward into space and instead the ship is assumed to be programmed to crash into the planet. Does anyone know what I am talking about? The plot may be off a bit, I read it ~13 years ago. Thanks for your help.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I've been hunting around for a GPS watch, and a website popped up with products for sale at literally half of what Amazon is charging: http://www.kannerlot.com/

Has anyone used this website? It's so cheaply designed it looks like a scam. And things that sound too good to be true typically are. Still, it'd be nice to know if my skepticism is warranted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Aggro posted:

I've been hunting around for a GPS watch, and a website popped up with products for sale at literally half of what Amazon is charging: http://www.kannerlot.com/

Has anyone used this website? It's so cheaply designed it looks like a scam. And things that sound too good to be true typically are. Still, it'd be nice to know if my skepticism is warranted.

Kannerlot.com Server Details
IP address:
Server Location:
Russian Federation
ISP:
Mir Telematiki Ltd

http://www.ip-adress.com/whois/kannerlot.com