Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
we should make a big list of yospos-approved sci-fi authors

-Frank Herbert
-Arthur C. Clarke (obvs)
-Isaac Asimov (same)
-John Brunner
-Kim Stanley Robinson
-Iain M. Banks
-Alastair Reynolds
-Peter Watts
-Philip K. Dick
-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i'm the hairless cat that thufir hawat has to milk for the antidote to the poison

:toot:
                                                                                                                                                                                                                /

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

ol qwerty bastard posted:

-Isaac Asimov (same)
-

the foundation series is awesome if someone hasn't read it yet. plus the first two books were written before computers were really a thing so its kind of jarring to read a description of the future where computers don't do all the heavy lifting. in the third book onwards he corrects this by implementing them into the setting and i have to admit it loses some of its charm.

this is also true of dune except they never incorporate computers until the last book

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Also I thought Asimov only wrote the first three foundation books with the last one being about the mule?

also wrong thread!!!!!

MORE CURLY FRIES fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 30, 2013

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
he wrote a lot more than three but the rest are nowhere near as good as the first and some are outright bad

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

I saw some others but they looked like fan fiction ones or something.

The first three are good though. Flying around on nuke powered rocket ships

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hubris.height posted:

the foundation series is awesome if someone hasn't read it yet. plus the first two books were written before computers were really a thing so its kind of jarring to read a description of the future where computers don't do all the heavy lifting. in the third book onwards he corrects this by implementing them into the setting and i have to admit it loses some of its charm.

this is also true of dune except they never incorporate computers until the last book

important do not read spoilers for the foundation trilogy before reading

the first book holds up okay but the second and third really don't work as well after you know what's going to happen

haveblue posted:

he wrote a lot more than three but the rest are nowhere near as good as the first and some are outright bad

yeah the first three were written in like the late 40s or something, and the later ones were picked up after like 30 years and he wanted to make some easy dough

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

-Frank Herbert
-Arthur C. Clarke (obvs)
-Isaac Asimov (same)
-John Brunner
-Kim Stanley Robinson
-Iain M. Banks
-Alastair Reynolds
-Peter Watts
-Philip K. Dick
-

Bester

maybe scalzi? stross?

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
lorf if your list doesn't include lois mcmaster bujold or ursula leguin

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

There's a lot of dune that freaked me out as a kid

But the scene where he brings in the young guy and he unplugs him has stuck with me for some reason

i'm sure the producers or studo execs explained to david that no no unlike the book we can't have the floating fat man preparing to/finishing up raping a twinkslave in each of his scenes you're going to have to think of something else

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
pacific rim is a very good summer movie, definitely worth seeing in the theatre

also found out they're doing another godzilla movie in 2014 apparently? i hope it's good but not gonna get excited or anything

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Cold on a Cob posted:

pacific rim is a very good summer movie, definitely worth seeing in the theatre

also found out they're doing another godzilla movie in 2014 apparently? i hope it's good but not gonna get excited or anything

they haven't answered the important question as to if matthew broderick will be starring in it

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

raruler posted:

they haven't answered the important question as to if matthew broderick will be starring in it

i really loved that movie as an eight year old

what a piece of poo poo that was

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
wow so apparently godzilla 1998 was a financial success

how in the gently caress?

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

reminder: grown ups 2 has made far more money at the box office than pacific rim

burn and salt, etc.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cold on a Cob posted:

it was the next big blockbuster from the guy who did independence day, he still had some cred to burn

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

hubris.height posted:

I, Robot is kind of jarring because of that one story where advanced futuristic robotic engineers on Mercury apparently have no idea what an infinite loop is

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
have you ever tried to iterate over a variable on weed?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

i wrote a paper for a class where i postulated that laura palmer died for our sins

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

TOOT BOOT posted:

how come all the good greg egan books arent on kindle

http://gregegan.customer.netspace.net.au/BIBLIOGRAPHY/Ebooks.html

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
I dont care if I'm coming across as an are freedoms goon but always look for ebooks on other sites than amazon - most you can get straight from the author at a lower price and without DRM and stuff

HexagonalSun
Mar 2, 2013

NUKE THE SWISS

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

There's a lot of dune that freaked me out as a kid

But the scene where he brings in the young guy and he unplugs him has stuck with me for some reason

this stuck me throughout my childhood and well into my formative years. i think i must have blocked out the remainder of the movie cause i only recently rewatched it and realized where that unease came from.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

qntm posted:

I, Robot is kind of jarring because of that one story where advanced futuristic robotic engineers on Mercury apparently have no idea what an infinite loop is

today we have computers not a fraction as powerful as a "positronic brain" is supposed to be and understand software engineering very well and still get weird freezes and crashes and stuff

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

MindSet posted:

Is LynchDune worth watching? I saw the scifi channel miniseries a looong time ago and remember thinking it was ok for a low budget production. Enjoyed the books though, stopped at god emperor like everyone recommends.

no. it's a bad adaptation and a bad production. it's only worth it for the kitch value

there is a reason lynch refuses to talk about it even today

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

watch chronicles of riddick instead, it is better than dune

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

watch chronicles of riddick instead, it is better than dune
it's simultaneously more competently made and more reliably funnybad, it wins both ways

also v. open palm slammable, another point in its favor

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
if u close palm slap isn't that just a punch ?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
awwww yissssss

http://www.avclub.com/articles/jonathan-frakes-talks-william-riker-playing-trombo,100891/1/

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

quote:

My next-door neighbor at the time was a guy named Paul Fox, who produced R.E.M., 10,000 Maniacs, Jakob Dylan, Björk, and Phish. And the guys from Phish were huge Trekkers, and they used to come to his house to rehearse. Actually, I think they may have rehearsed in my guest house! This was up in Lookout Mountain, in L.A. But they got wind that I played trombone, and they didn’t know I wasn’t that good, but they asked me to the studio, so I came out to the studio to play trombone on Hoist. I played some music; I didn’t do it so well, but all of the outtakes from my trombone playing became a song called “Riker’s Mailbox,” because at the time, my mailbox vaguely looked like a cow, with black and white spots, only this one had been beaten up many times by cars running into it and people running by and smacking it. So my outtakes were named after the mutilated cow mailbox that was the identification of the front of our house, the Hoist album went platinum, and, as a result, I am the proud keeper of a platinum record. So there you go.

owns

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Cold on a Cob posted:

if u close palm slap isn't that just a punch ?
p. sure that the distinction is between open palm slam and regular slam, not open and closed palm slams, i.e. the fingers are fully extended instead of merely separated. you do raise an interesting question though, is the "closed palm slam" ontologically possible? it does make you think, doesn't it

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 31, 2013

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Amethyst posted:

no. it's a bad adaptation and a bad production. it's only worth it for the kitch value

there is a reason lynch refuses to talk about it even today

ffs i find myself agreeing with blue stymie somebody pls put a bullet in the back of my head

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Amethyst posted:

kitch value

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
ATREIDES IS SPILLING THE BONG

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
cram a stoneburner up me arse

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
buttcoinian jihad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a bitcoin mine.

• Locked thread