Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Chomp!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

:stare:

I'm glad Reynardine is getting this all out of his system. Not healthy to keep all that bottled up inside.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well we know how he feels about his captivity I guess :v:

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Good dog. :3:

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah, and along with Rey's attitude as he flicks the match at her, I wouldn't be too surprised if this is not exactly a "Renard is murdering her by immolating her" but like maybe he is banishing her or something. Or something else, who knows.

Nope. He's murdering her.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Twist, that whole speech was just trying to hide the fact that he was really craving some shrimp.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Twist, that whole speech was just trying to hide the fact that he was really craving some shrimp.

"I'm sorry Hetty you just... you just look so delicious."

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Renard no! That's not how you cook shrimp at all! You're never going to graduate from forest fox-wolf-doll culinary school like this!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Hetty memorial avatar. :<

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

I always love how unneccesary Toms comments tend to be.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Endless Shrimp Days are back at Red Lobster™! :black101:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Okay NOW we can assume Hetty is in danger of dying.

I'm perfectly okay with this situation.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
This week on World's Deadliest Animals...

Y'know I'd say Renard looks even scarier here than when he put Jack in his place and performing his majestic call combined.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

YES, I love this page.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Man, now I'm hungry.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I kinda wish we got a glimpse of Hetty before this chapter of her untimely demise. I feel like now she was dropped in just to give Renard some context, but instead of using an element the audience was familiar with we got a new element. While Hetty does help to serve in fleshing out the world and give us another perspective on Renard, she's a cardboard cut-out of a real character. Increasingly shown as irreconcilably evil only to give justification to Renard's murder in this chapter.

People asking "Why was Renard okay with Hetty before this?" is a very valid question. In the beginning of the chapter it is shown that this is not the first time the two of hung out, and that Hetty often speaks of evil, loves it in fact, but her situation was never clear to Renard before this? Again, we have no prior context, and Hetty doesn't strike us as particularly sly or hiding of her activities, so are to to think that Renard was acting an idiot before hand? Prior context would help us understand the situation better and again, and serve to make Hetty seem more unlike an amateur writer's attempt at giving Renard some more depth and backstory.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Before that page I thought it unlikely that we'd get completely rid of Hetty. It seemed quite unlike Tom to introduce and retire an important character in the same chapter. (She is a minor character overall, but in that chapter she was Renard's co-star and got more development than, say, Dr. Disaster did in his introductory chapter.) Even Basil, who did feel like a one-shot character, got cameos in later chapters; and Hetty as far as being Renard's possibly sole acquaintance outside of the main cast seemed relatively important.

Now it does certainly seem like she's gone for good.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Yeah, I was kind of holding back to see what sort of developments would come out of what was going on. Now, the chapter isn't over yet and there could be some surprise(s) awaiting, but as a day to day reader, this is the point where I feel really disappointed in this chapter.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
I think it's about 50-50 that Renard is banishing her from her body to free her from it, so she doesn't have an excuse for being a diabolical murdershrimp anymore.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's alright Hetty, I'll always remember you. :saddowns:

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Fookin' prawns.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Even now you'll see that Reynard is biting between the visible shrimp-body and the doll. It certainly doesn't appear that Hetty is enjoying the process, but I think it's still a page or two too early to call it a killing. That said, I'd be pretty okay with him killing her at this point what with all the child murder.

Characters that exist for a single chapter aren't anything new. Remember Alistair, the boy who appeared to give Kat some character development and then disappeared at the end of the chapter along with a note directly from the author saying she never saw him again (despite various fan theories that pop up about him every few chapters thereafter). It's a legitimate storytelling technique, especially in this case where the one-shot is specifically a foil for the character they're developing. Are we expecting to see Diego's projecto-doll again, or the power-station lady and her robot buddy? I'd be surprised if Basil ever comes back as anything other than a one-panel cameo.

It's fair to say we could have had some more backstory on how they met (and might yet), but just speaking for myself I don't feel like it's necessary. Rey's interactions with her at the beginning of the chapter give us some idea of how things usually work. He just didn't happen to see Adam before today, and once he found out Adam was a small child all bets were off. And I don't really need or want to see The Further Adventures of Hetty, Psycho Shrimp Murder-Doll; what would that even consist of? "Hey, Reynard, I've found out about these wonderful things called 'guns' you can use to hurt or maim people! Aren't they excellent?" Then Rey shapechanges so he can shrug exasperatedly. "That's our Hetty!" he says, as sitcom music plays.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The important difference being that none of those characters were being used to justify an established character resorting to murder? Alistair had his own development. We learned about him and through him, Kat. And then he left with a note from Tom saying he'd never return, but as part of the story, as you say, there's the possibility that he could return. Alistair didn't spend the entirety of his chapter saying how he'd butchered his parents and ending with Kat tearing out his throat with her teeth. Basil, too, is a character that is still alive. He wasn't there to give Annie character growth and then for her to slay. He was presented as a part of the world. And he even did come back to say hi once. His existence is still around. He has a character that extends past giving another character an excuse to do something.

The other examples you give, the station lady & robot, the projecto-doll, these are not characters that were given a whole chapter to learn about or to provide growth to another. The projecto-doll you could argue because through its eyes we were seeing the past, because we weren't learning about it, we were learning about Diego and Jeanne. But in that case it is a literal object and was not shown to have any meaningful character at all except that it was a robot who saw something in the past.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
He's not slaying anybody, he's releasing a spirit from a trap it didn't belong in and presumably letting it vanish into the ether rather continue to fester in a body and place it hates to stop it from doing harm to others.

That is not out of place in this story. That is literally what we've been waiting to see the kids do to Jeanne, only they won't use their teeth to do it so its OK? Calm down about this.

And that weird faced robot kat awakened was totally introduced then killed never to return.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Rasamune posted:

Renard, you wear that mark with pride. Pride I say

That's more like it, boy :colbert:

Hexlotl
Nov 6, 2012
I think the important distinction here is that Hetty's behaviour isn't necessarily being used to justify murder. Many of us think her behaviour justifies murder, but that doesn't mean Tom does; that doesn't mean that Annie or Kat or any of the other characters would, if they ever found out. Renard probably does, because he's already said that he's okay with killing people in a "fair fight," but his values aren't necessarily the values of the story.

I think Hetty and Alistair are very comparable; they both existed to serve another character's development. They're not totally different because the former raises more moral questions than the latter.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Potsticker posted:

I kinda wish we got a glimpse of Hetty before this chapter of her untimely demise.
I dunno, 'before completing her murder plans' seems pretty timely to me.

Huntersoninski posted:

He's not slaying anybody, he's releasing a spirit from a trap it didn't belong in and presumably letting it vanish into the ether rather continue to fester in a body and place it hates to stop it from doing harm to others.

Murderion posted:

I think it's about 50-50 that Renard is banishing her from her body to free her from it, so she doesn't have an excuse for being a diabolical murdershrimp anymore.
I suppose it's always a possibility but it seems pretty straight forward that he's just offing her before she has a chance to kill Adam and then go after Annie. Not like we've seen other forest critters have moral dilemmas about killing re: the whole 'food chain' thing.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

My only regret is not BRINGING SOME BUTTER

Huh, somehow my joke guess was correct, I guess he was kind of hungry.

This strengthens my belief that the body changes are only out of utility. Need some precision limbs to stomp and flick things? Dollmode activate! Need some chompin' pouncin' action? wolfmode activate! and that the whole "plaything of the body" stuff meant something different from "I have different personalities depending on my current form"

Huntersoninski posted:

He's releasing a spirit from a trap it didn't belong in and presumably letting it vanish into the ether rather continue to fester in a body and place it hates to stop it from doing harm to others.

Yep, this is accomplished via murder.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Pure Prawnage

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
RIP Hetty
p.1210—p.1230

She will be inexplicably missed by some.

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010

Murderion posted:

If her spirit is anything like Renard's, she dies if she doesn't find a new host immediately.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Farewell, noble demon shrimp thing, I will miss you.

I just love crazy characters. The more murderous the better.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Angry Avocado posted:

If her spirit is anything like Renard's, she dies if she doesn't find a new host immediately.

Well the one thing we know is that it won't work exactly the same as Renard, since his power was a 'gift' of coyote, and when he gave it he lost that power so he couldn't have given it again to a murder shrimp.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Blackheart posted:

This. Remember that letting the soul vanishing into the ether is exactly what happens to (most) murdered humans, as recounted by Coyote.

I don't really think Renard comes off as heroic here. At best, this can be argued as vigilante justice, but I disagree. My reading is that he's attacking her as a proxy for his own shame.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Mmmmm, evil spirit shrimp...

I like how Hettie is all <:mad:> how could you!?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Blackheart posted:

So what? Is what the kids are planning with Jeanne murder? Why is nobody wringing their hands about justified murder with that plotline?

Is kat ever going to be punished for that time she killed that robot with her own hands? Is tom supporting assisted suicide now??

Where is the justice in this comic!

I never said this is the best option but just because a character does a thing you find morally questionable does not mean the storytelling is weak or the character is assassinated or the author supports murdering the mentally ill.

edit: I'm actually wondering if Hetty has the proper version of Reynard's power, where she won't leave him dead after a possession, and winds up framing him for something. That bottle on the title page has to mean something.

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 31, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Huntersoninski posted:

So what? Is what the kids are planning with Jeanne murder? Why is nobody wringing their hands about justified murder with that plotline?

Is kat ever going to be punished for that time she killed that robot with her own hands? Is tom supporting assisted suicide now??

Jeanne is already dead. She's a ghost. What they want to do is no different than what the psychopomps had her do in the hospital, with the accidental arsonist boy who had to choose between an old crone and a scary dog.

The robot was also something completely different. While it's compared to death, what she did was basically turn it on and then back off at its request. She could turn it back on at any time.

A better comparison, if you want robot death, is that robot guard that spider Jack killed.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

dyzzy posted:

I like how Hettie is all <:mad:> how could you!?

I suppose she really thought they had a kinship being demons trapped in doll bodies. Betrayed by her own kind!

Anyhow, I will miss Hetty but not because she herself was so awesome. Just because she's afforded up something more interesting than Renard's redemption arc into a noble beast. He's still a trickster god, hooray!

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Huntersoninski posted:

I would say that anyone can see the distinction here. The task is charged by the psychopomps, the very embodiments of death itself. Jeanne is not a "natural" spirit formed from the ether but a human soul artificially imprisoned and enslaved for all time.

The robot thing is more subtle, but they definitely experience death in a different manner, and so have an alien cultural understanding of it. Translating any lesson directly to humanity kind of misses the point here.

quote:

I never said this is the best option but just because a character does a thing you find morally questionable does not mean the storytelling is weak or the character is assassinated or the author supports murdering the mentally ill.
For my part, I was merely reacting to the fact that some of the triumphalism in the thread leaves a bad taste in my mouth. On the storytelling front, I would probably be a bit happier if Hetty hadn't been quite so over-the-top-twirling-mustache-evil. There was some good bits on the tensions inherent in the master-possession dynamic, but I thought it could use more development.

e:f,b

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011
I think it's too early to draw any conclusions. I was frustrated by Tom's treatment of Coyote up to and especially in the The Great Secret by making him too wacky until the end of the chapter hit. This chapter made the entire setup for his characterization even better. This is very much a 'wait and see' kind of comic.