Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

averox posted:

Let us not forget that in some ouya poll or some poo poo big 3 games like CoD, Battlefield, Mass Effect, Skyrim, and AssCreed were games that Ouya backers wanted on the drat thing.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118443-Ouya-Backers-Want-Games-Like-Skyrim

facebook comment posted:

Had no trouble with the controller, despite its appearance, it's more comfortable than my 360 controller.

Dude must have some very strangely shaped hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Awesome! posted:

Dude must have some very strangely shaped hands.

It's almost like he's trying to defend his purchase.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Let's not let a few pesky facts get in the way of making a great point.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

theflyingorc posted:

The company making "folder" apparently has an iOS app with that name? It's data organization which you shouldn't need on the OUYA though.
Not to mention the application is actually named Foldre.

Sure can't wait to see what else Bad Idea Vide Games cranks out for the OUYA!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
No doubt an old cell phone chipset beats every console on the market. It's amazing what marketing bullshit people will believe.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

averox posted:

Let us not forget that in some ouya poll or some poo poo big 3 games like CoD, Battlefield, Mass Effect, Skyrim, and AssCreed were games that Ouya backers wanted on the drat thing.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118443-Ouya-Backers-Want-Games-Like-Skyrim

The comments and that list are a loving goldmine.

I love how there's about 2 indie titles in the list and the rest is pie in the sky bullshit like League of Legends and Call of Duty.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

We'll see if they update that "Upcoming Games" page in the future. I have registered both The Zybourne Clock and The Secret of Universe Beta.

edit: Has a single developer tried to get part of that $1 million yet?

I thought the $1 million thing didn't start until August?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

averox posted:

Perhaps they meant the Mass Effect phone games (the prequel to ME2 with Jason, and the ME3 one)?

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax

averox posted:

Funny thing about that. On another forum, one of the backers noticed this contradiction, yet actually cheered for it because it means more money & support for the Ouya. Yes, some backer actually supported scamming people with PR just so he can play his Newgrounds games without having to use a computer. I am not joking.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
I really pity the amount of hope Ouya supporters must have invested in the console to be doubling down still, you'd think by now most of them would have shrugged off the hundred bucks or whatever they sunk into it minus whatever fun they managed to extract and moved on. But no, there's a whole bunch of them who just can't accept that Plucky Little Ouya isn't what they had envisioned it would be, to the point of creating an alternate reality in their heads where the Mighty Ouya is the most powerful of all consoles.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

monster on a stick posted:

Perhaps they meant the Mass Effect phone games (the prequel to ME2 with Jason, and the ME3 one)?

Yes, much like they meant the phone versions of Skyrim, Call of Duty and Battlefield.

No, these people are just clueless idiots who thought a console was a console and this one just cost 99 bucks instead of $299 and the games were FREE.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

Does anyone want a MDickie's wrestling game for the OUYA???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gt4QuSVgv8

Finally a system that can keep up with the revolutionary game engine that is Mdickie's

Edit:

Watching it makes me think its some kind of homo erotic S&M simulator. Where you get angry at your spouse for breaking a box or a set of stairs then promptly fix it then hug them for a few seconds before beginning the fight all over again.

EDIT:

I'm really liking how several the games reviewed were rip offs of other games down to the graphics being stolen. Also Flying Cars is a superman 64 simulator.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 30, 2013

ipaid10buxforthis
May 11, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Der Shovel posted:

Yes, much like they meant the phone versions of Skyrim, Call of Duty and Battlefield.

No, these people are just clueless idiots who thought a console was a console and this one just cost 99 bucks instead of $299 and the games were FREE.

Isn't there a pc emmulator for android? You could just sideload a skyrim ROM if there was.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

There is Kainy, but then you've spent $99 for the sub-standard experience of streaming from a gaming PC, rather than just dragging your system into the living room and using a HDMI cable.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Another day, another article deriding the Ouya, and another chance for Cootes & Co to talk yet more bollocks about how people don't "get it". I remain unclear as to what it is we are supposed to be getting.

One year on, is Ouya's unconsole assault already running out of steam?

quote:

To me, Ouya is attempting to solve a problem that doesn't exist. It's targeting F2P, which is all about removing barriers to start playing while offering a big audience. Ouya has a $99 hardware paywall, so breaks the F2P model from the outset.

You can get an Xbox 360 for a similar price, and it's got far better games on it than Ouya. Everyone who's interested enough in gaming to want an Ouya will already own a console.

This, along with the reported issues with the controller and UI (which I haven't tried out so can't comment directly) suggest that it's never going to get past the point of being an interesting hobbyist device. It will appeal to people, like me, who are interested in homebrew, niche and indie games - but that's not a platform for commercial success.

quote:

Honestly, I don't love the idea of an open console - as a consumer or as a developer.

I'm not a hobbyist, I can already write code on better devices (as can any other hobbyist). As a developer open means it will just be that much easier for consumers to pirate games. As a consumer, an open console doesn't give me any benefit over a closed console.

It's all about games for me. Which console gives me the better games.

I have a better chance at gaining super powers than the Ouya has at becoming a mainstream success. It's a small pimple on the rear end of the much larger playing field. In order to compete with the big boys, it will need much more than the $8.5 million it amassed through Kickstarter and the $15 million in investment it has.

edit: for some reason many of the commentators in that article seem positive about the idea of Ouya getting an update every year, ignoring the problems that this could bring for devs and gamers, not to mention that it's doubtful Ouya would have sufficient funds to handle the R&D, manufacture and support (+ a million other little things) to pull off an annual hardware release. If this was really their plan shouldn't they already be busy working on the Ouya 2?

Some reddit idiot posted:

It's a console for people that don't like where mainstream games have been heading. Bigger budgets for AAA titles have, at best, only improved the way games look and often get in the way of gameplay.

Two, it's the only console that's going to focus on local multiplayer.

There it is again, yet more shite about AAA games not having gameplay, and the good old local multiplayer. I think /r/Ouya may be a testing ground for a rudimentary AI that's only been programmed with a single subject.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 30, 2013

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Hey look, a shmup on the OUYA! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3bNnkKacjo

And it looks like crap someone would make in Multimedia Fusion. Amazing.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I can't take anyone seriously that considers buying the console a 'paywall'.

My mobility is constantly stymied by that ridiculous Ferrari paywall.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Zeether posted:

The money that enemies drop are loving recoloured Mario coins. :laugh:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Breetai posted:

The money that enemies drop are loving recoloured Mario coins. :laugh:

The enemies look like redrawn Galaga enemies, too.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

GAH there's that loving local multiplayer argument again. Can I force these guys to read the Wii U thread where we're constantly bitching about not having online multiplayer for everything? Also I liked this in the actual article.

quote:

At this price point those behind the device can provide new Ouya boxes every year, same as smartphones/tablets are introduced each year.

Ouya has already been joined by Gamestick and others, both Apple and Google are readying themselves with their "TV" boxes, so this is going to be a new market.

All those factors combined is what this is all about. Sure, Ouya is right now only in the hands of early-adopters (mostly developers), but that's how all new tech starts and is the obvious reason for lower sales figures.

This first Ouya run has already been funded by Kickstarter and backers – the firm doesn't need to sell huge amounts. It just needs to get ready for next year's model and make people aware of gaming in this way.

All they need is for superior (and probably cheaper, at least from Google) boxes from companies with more name recognition and the Ouya 2 will just start flying off the shelves! Also maybe I'm not getting business but if the first run is funded (and 100% shipped naturally) by the Kickstarter then don't they need to sell consoles to non-backers to finance the second version? Presumably in huge amounts to reach the same level of cash that they failed to produce the first version with.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

njsykora posted:

GAH there's that loving local multiplayer argument again. Can I force these guys to read the Wii U thread where we're constantly bitching about not having online multiplayer for everything? Also I liked this in the actual article.

All they need is for superior (and probably cheaper, at least from Google) boxes from companies with more name recognition and the Ouya 2 will just start flying off the shelves! Also maybe I'm not getting business but if the first run is funded (and 100% shipped naturally) by the Kickstarter then don't they need to sell consoles to non-backers to finance the second version? Presumably in huge amounts to reach the same level of cash that they failed to produce the first version with.

It doesn't need to sell many units because there'll inevitably be four people per OUYA! :v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Hav posted:

I can't take anyone seriously that considers buying the console a 'paywall'.

My mobility is constantly stymied by that ridiculous Ferrari paywall.

Yeah that was a really goddamn stupid comment.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

sleepwalkers posted:

It doesn't need to sell many units because there'll inevitably be four people per OUYA! :v:

Actually their plan is more sinister. They're no producing and selling many consoles so that as few people as possible know about it so they can repeat this with the OUYA2 all over again.

MGN001
May 12, 2012

Zeether posted:

I love that the lives at the bottom don't change to match the ship you're actually using.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Even the background music for that game sounds like a mash-up of a bunch of video game songs without any rhyme or reason to how they're placed together.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Polygon Towerfall Article

"You are not playing the best game of 2013."

"Maybe you think it's obvious that a bunch of game writers would go gaga for a semi-obscure 2D indie game. But when I say it's the game of the office, I mean the entire office. Writers for The Verge and SB Nation, members of the sales team, developers, producers: everyone loves TowerFall."

"Real talk, I would pay $115 for a Towerfall box."

And this isn't from a blind OUYA fan, he hates the thing. He calls OUYA lovely in the same video. You may not think the Polygon guys are great, but they're not insane like I am, at least. Towerfall really is just that good. PC port is coming eventually, but who knows how far out that is.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

XboxPants posted:

"Maybe you think it's obvious that a bunch of game writers would go gaga for a semi-obscure 2D indie game. But when I say it's the game of the office, I mean the entire office. Writers for The Verge and SB Nation, members of the sales team, developers, producers: everyone loves TowerFall."

And this isn't from a blind OUYA fan, he hates the thing. He calls OUYA lovely in the same video. You may not think the Polygon guys are great, but they're not insane like I am, at least. Towerfall really is just that good. PC port is coming eventually, but who knows how far out that is.
Sweet, can't wait to get it in a PC indie bundle with some other games next year for $1!

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

XboxPants posted:

I'm sure Tomb Raider, The Witcher pack, and EU IV can hold me over until they announce their port.

Oh Wait

http://www.destructoid.com/towerfall-ditches-ouya-exclusivity-with-enhanced-pc-port-258371.phtml

Edit: And by enhanced port they mean "Fully-fleshed out Single Player mode" among others
http://venturebeat.com/2013/07/20/ouya-towerfall-coming-to-pc/

It seems like indie developers may have just found a new platform on which to test their alphas while making pennies.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 31, 2013

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

njsykora posted:

Haha last night someone said the Wii U finally had a better library than the dreamcast jokingly. So I had to respond with except for multiplayer. God drat. Its hard to tell who may end up on top here the OUYA or the Wii U in terms of games. I think the OUYA already has more third party titles rolling even if they're a sea of poo poo.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Zeether posted:

The big problem with this game (besides from the obvious lack of polish) is that it mixes SO MANY loving ART STYLES. Half the graphics are blocky 8 bit sprites, half are much higher resolution and fidelity and NOTHING MATCHES. The end result is utter rear end even before you look at the loving laughable stencil graphics on the edges.

This is a problem with Ouya games in general. Some fuckwit looks at a popular thing, doesn't grok what makes it work and then tries to duplicate it. The results are always embarassing.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Der Shovel posted:

The big problem with this game (besides from the obvious lack of polish) is that it mixes SO MANY loving ART STYLES. Half the graphics are blocky 8 bit sprites, half are much higher resolution and fidelity and NOTHING MATCHES. The end result is utter rear end even before you look at the loving laughable stencil graphics on the edges.

This is a problem with Ouya games in general. Some fuckwit looks at a popular thing, doesn't grok what makes it work and then tries to duplicate it. The results are always embarassing.

It reminds me of something that's half stolen graphics, half half-assed originals from MSPaint. Kind of like Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden but not a good game.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

XboxPants posted:

Then he should pay Matt Thorson 115$, and not pay a Matt Thorson $15/Ouya $100 split.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

XboxPants posted:

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't Towerfall pretty much the same game as Gunmonkeys, only that's on PC so anyone can play it and it has online multiplayer?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

XboxPants posted:

What's that? There's a game on the OUYA? A GAME?! A REAL GAME THAT I CAN PLAY WITH MY HANDS AND FEET?!!!

I'm sold. How do I throw money at this new and revolutionary console that has a game?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

PrinceRandom posted:

I'm sure Tomb Raider, The Witcher pack, and EU IV can hold me over until they announce their port.

Oh Wait

http://www.destructoid.com/towerfall-ditches-ouya-exclusivity-with-enhanced-pc-port-258371.phtml

Edit: And by enhanced port they mean "Fully-fleshed out Single Player mode" among others
http://venturebeat.com/2013/07/20/ouya-towerfall-coming-to-pc/

It seems like indie developers may have just found a new platform on which to test their alphas while making pennies.

According to that second article, Towerfall has sold 2,000 copies during the month that it's been on the OUYA (I'm seeing that its release date was June 25.)

Let that sink in for a moment. Having played it, I can say it's probably the best game on the OUYA. It's gotten a shitload of press and is touted by everybody who's played it as being awesome. And it's only made 2,000 sales.

Had Towerfall been released on any other platform, I can see it selling at least ten times as many copies in its first month, thanks to both the game's quality and the good press it has received. But since Towerfall's developers had the misfortune to choose the OUYA, they've made jack poo poo. OUYA is not a console anybody should develop for.

That said, I'm all :swoon: that Towerfall is coming to PC.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 31, 2013

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Can one of you brave, brave people who took the plunge and bought an OUYA tell us how the twin-stick revolutionary shooter Red has turned out?

Is it as Brony as it claims?

Breetai fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 31, 2013

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

Breetai posted:

Have one of you brave, brave people who took the plunge and bought an OUYA tell us how the twin-stick revolutionary shooter Red has turned out?

Is it as Brony as it claims?

I couldn't tell you, because I'd have to unplug my Steam PC, 360, PS3, or Blu-Ray player from the TV to find out, and that ain't happening for our BOOSH anytime soon.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zeether posted:

:catstare: The UI takes up fully half the loving screen space. What the gently caress.

I guess they really really wanted to go for that reversed aspect ratio cab feel? So... all those people with OUYAs hooked up to table cabs will be able to play it? :confused: Are they hoping you turn your tv sideways?!?

:doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

XboxPants posted:

What does being an OUYA fan have to do with anything in this article? I think just about everyone in this thread agrees that yeah, Towerfall is probably a fun game. That has little to do with the quality of the OUYA, especially considering it's coming to PC at some point. He's right: the OUYA is a piece of poo poo, and it's absolutely not worth the money.
There's no way I'm paying $115 for a Towerfall box, though. Not a chance. "The best game of 2013: Drop $100 on the system, up to $150 on three more controllers, and $15 on the game!" That's Polygon for you! :v:

Edit: I also think it's pretty funny how you quoted the opening "you're not playing the best game of 2013" in such a way that it could be taken negatively.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 31, 2013

• Locked thread