Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Probably a dumb basic speaker wiring question here, when wiring in parallel is there a difference between splitting a cable before the speakers vs attaching the second speaker's wires to the first speaker's contacts? Like:

code:
Amp---[split]---speaker1
             \__speaker2
vs

Amp---speaker1---speaker2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Nova88 posted:

I have an ASUS Xonar DG soundcard and would be using either the Zalman Clip-on Mic,ModMic or a Xuanyan clip-on but I haven't decided on which. Recommendations for where to purchase from would also be appreciated, for the aforementioned TAD400 I found only the official website and a Japanese import on Amazon with no reviews.

As a recommendation: I've been rockin my Zalman clip-on for a while (just checked my e-mails, purchased on 5-Jan-2009) and I haven't taken the best care of it but it sounds great the the $6 I paid for it :woop:

I'd say just grab whatever headphones sound good to you and grab it. I would say go for the ModMic but it's had so many issues with quality assurance and it's rarely in stock anyways. I would look elsewhere until they get their poo poo together.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
My father's birthday is coming up and I'm looking to replace his aging (read: older than my college age brother) AM/FM radio that he listens to the ballgames on at work. This is literally his only use for it and it just needs to have a good antenna and decent audio quality. Any recommendations in the sub-$100 realm?

PS: His work is in a reinforced government building back in the woods. He gets marginal reception now with his radio in the window. Just good enough to hear the game through an awful droning hum.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Toshimo posted:

My father's birthday is coming up and I'm looking to replace his aging (read: older than my college age brother) AM/FM radio that he listens to the ballgames on at work. This is literally his only use for it and it just needs to have a good antenna and decent audio quality. Any recommendations in the sub-$100 realm?

PS: His work is in a reinforced government building back in the woods. He gets marginal reception now with his radio in the window. Just good enough to hear the game through an awful droning hum.

I think the Tivoli One is gorgeous, but its a little above your price range, and some of the reviews aren't great. Look at the Amazon "also looked at" suggestions from the Tivoli?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Toshimo posted:

Honestly, if his reception's that bad then maybe a better bet would be for him to stream the game online. He wouldn't even need to necessarily listen to something other than his station- at this point, I think every half-decent radio station in the country (particularly the ones that carry major sporting events, and basically every ESPN Radio affiliate) has an online feed. There are a ton of iOS and Android apps, as well as websites, that aggregate and stream those with minimal fuss. If he's got wifi- or at least an Internet connection- at work, then that's probably going to be a much easier, more reliable, and possibly less expensive way to listen to whatever station he wants than to try to get an OTA setup that works through his building and geographic location.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Honestly, if his reception's that bad then maybe a better bet would be for him to stream the game online. He wouldn't even need to necessarily listen to something other than his station- at this point, I think every half-decent radio station in the country (particularly the ones that carry major sporting events, and basically every ESPN Radio affiliate) has an online feed. There are a ton of iOS and Android apps, as well as websites, that aggregate and stream those with minimal fuss. If he's got wifi- or at least an Internet connection- at work, then that's probably going to be a much easier, more reliable, and possibly less expensive way to listen to whatever station he wants than to try to get an OTA setup that works through his building and geographic location.

He doesn't have a smartphone and he's in a secure federal building so the internet access is tightly controlled and streaming is verboten.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

eddiewalker posted:

I think the Tivoli One is gorgeous, but its a little above your price range, and some of the reviews aren't great. Look at the Amazon "also looked at" suggestions from the Tivoli?

Seconding Tivoli - at least the FM reception on those is fabulous compared to similar products. A bit on the pricy side, but will last a lifetime (as long as your country doesn't switch to digital radio).

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sangean has some decent little radios you can add external antennas to. They tend to be cheaper than Tivoli. It's too bad the GE SuperRadio thing's quality has dropped through the floor since it changed to RCA. My dad has been using them for years and they're pretty much perfect for your situation.

DaCheese
Jul 24, 2007

Bureaucracy has ruined murder.

So I got my hands on some old competition grade Orion 15 inch DVC subs from my brother and I am currently powering them with a Crown XLS 402 I picked up cheap.
I currently have each one bridged to 2 ohms and they produce bass like you wouldn't believe. My only problem is both have some wear to them and produce some crackling. (One worse than the other.) SO. My question is, would I be best off getting these repaired, or replacing them, and if I do replace them, should I go with a home audio sub instead? I like having a lot of bass when I want it for certain music. That being said, I also really like to watch movies with this same setup.

I don't really know anything about the difference between home audio subwoofers and car ones.
Question two: should I maybe just get one sub and bridge mono? I know my current setup isn't one recommended in the manual for my amp.

Edit: Link for my amp http://www.crownaudio.com/usa/xls-series.html

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DaCheese posted:

So I got my hands on some old competition grade Orion 15 inch DVC subs from my brother and I am currently powering them with a Crown XLS 402 I picked up cheap.
I currently have each one bridged to 2 ohms and they produce bass like you wouldn't believe. My only problem is both have some wear to them and produce some crackling. (One worse than the other.) SO. My question is, would I be best off getting these repaired, or replacing them, and if I do replace them, should I go with a home audio sub instead? I like having a lot of bass when I want it for certain music. That being said, I also really like to watch movies with this same setup.

I don't really know anything about the difference between home audio subwoofers and car ones.
Question two: should I maybe just get one sub and bridge mono? I know my current setup isn't one recommended in the manual for my amp.

Edit: Link for my amp http://www.crownaudio.com/usa/xls-series.html

The difference between car subs and home theater subs is usually down to the ability to deal with heat. The car subs tend to be built with dissipating heat better. Because of this, they can take sustained stress for longer periods of time in that environment.

Home theater subs tend to be set up to extend lower into the subharmonic regions. Car audio guys like to tune their enclosures for max efficiency down into the 30hz range (from what I gather, Im not a car audio expert at all), where as the DIY theater crowd try to get extension below 10hz.

If you can get your drivers fixed for cheap, I would do that, and then build some enclosures. If you want to get new drivers, these two are very popular for budget sealed and ported builds:

http://www.istonline.ca/mach5_ixl_18.html
http://stereointegrity.com/index.php?id=60 (the 18")
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-472
Or if you want better performance http://www.istonline.ca/mach5_uxl_18.html

If you want really really tight low distortion bass and seriously loud decibels without needing too much amplifier, the tapped horn builds have no rivals. The downside is they take up a bit of room, but can be used as furniture. They also don't extend down as low. 18hz or so is about all you can get down to while keeping the size manageable.

Budget Drivers that work well with tapped horns:

Kicker Comp VT 15"
Alpine Type S 15"

Popular Tapped Horn builds:

LilMike's Lil HouseWrecker http://www.avsforum.com/t/1451519/lilmikes-lilwrecker
Look at the posted response graph for a moment. Thats over 115db from a cheap 15" sub outside from around 16hz to 80hz. It's over 120db from about 24hz to 80hz. In a house with two of those you will never play them at max volume. Not because you cant, but because your house will break and you will go insane and kill yourself (not a joke. It's happened).

WolfHorns http://www.avsforum.com/t/1358970/2-wolfhorn-sdx-s-as-a-riser
These use dual 10" drivers. It's a skinny box that can be propped against a wall or behind a screen or layed down flat on the floor used as a seat riser or bar riser.

LilMike's Cinema t-6 http://www.avsforum.com/t/1358033/lilmikes-cinema-t-6
a 6 cubic foot tapped horn made from an 8" or 10" driver, I believe it uses a single 1/2" thick sheet of plywood.

quote:

It turned out pretty good. I am currently listening to a pair, loaded with 8s, and I really don't find them to be lacking. I'd have used 10s if I had them, but as I have a number of 8s, buying more drivers was not an option. As it is - I am able to exceed 115 dB at the couch above 30 Hz with the pair.

Lazer Vampire Jr.
Mar 31, 2005

Ask me about whatever fat loss diet is popular this month!
Edit:wrong thread

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I just bought a new Panasonic plasma TV that has TOSLINK out, but no RCA/HDMI out. I want better audio for my PS3 games, movies, and streaming via PS3. I have an older receiver with two Polk speakers that I want to hook up to it. I bought an optical to RCA converter and some speaker wire. Two questions:

Will I get low quality audio because of the converter?
And
Should I do TOSLINK on TV -> receiver (HDMI from PS3 -> to TV, and then TOSLINK out to receiver?), or should I go PS3 HDMI video -> TV and PS3 TOSLINK -> receiver?

e: this is the TV - http://www.sears.com/panasonic-42inch-class-1080p-600hz-plasma-smart-hdtv/p-05775142000P

Red Robin Hood fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 2, 2013

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

Red Robin Hood posted:

I just bought a new Panasonic plasma TV that has TOSLINK out, but no RCA/HDMI out. I want better audio for my PS3 games, movies, and streaming via PS3. I have an older receiver with two Polk speakers that I want to hook up to it. I bought an optical to RCA converter and some speaker wire. Two questions:

Will I get low quality audio because of the converter?
And
Should I do TOSLINK on TV -> receiver (HDMI from PS3 -> to TV, and then TOSLINK out to receiver?), or should I go PS3 HDMI video -> TV and PS3 TOSLINK -> receiver?

e: this is the TV - http://www.sears.com/panasonic-42inch-class-1080p-600hz-plasma-smart-hdtv/p-05775142000P

That TV has audio return channel (ARC), FYI.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

upsciLLion posted:

That TV has audio return channel (ARC), FYI.

My receiver is kind of old and only has RCA in. Would it be better to do HDMI -> RCA or TOSLINK -> RCA?

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

Red Robin Hood posted:

My receiver is kind of old and only has RCA in. Would it be better to do HDMI -> RCA or TOSLINK -> RCA?

If you aren't opposed to buying a new receiver with HDMI, I would recommend that since I don't know which of the two conversion options is better. :)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Red Robin Hood posted:

It would be the same either way. I'd second the "upgrade your receiver" opinion, since the DACs in those cheap converters are crap. Also a new receiver will make your life so much easier when you only need 1 remote.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

upsciLLion posted:

If you aren't opposed to buying a new receiver with HDMI, I would recommend that since I don't know which of the two conversion options is better. :)

KillHour posted:

It would be the same either way. I'd second the "upgrade your receiver" opinion, since the DACs in those cheap converters are crap. Also a new receiver will make your life so much easier when you only need 1 remote.

Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately a new receiver isn't an option for me at this time. That obviously would be the best option but I just bought this TV, paid rent, and need to buy plane tickets on Monday. New receiver will have to wait!

Until then I will have to stand up to turn the receiver's power on, and deal with the conversion (I'm no audiophile so I haven't noticed anything weird). On the bright side, it does work and it sounds nice... even with only two speakers and a converter.

Again, thanks for the input. Much appreciated!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Tell me about soundproofing please. I need to reduce the noise pollution from my beat laboratory down a few notches. I'm thinking I need to fully cover the door into the room and put some panels on two of the walls. I don't need 100% reduction, just a bit more quiet. What should I expect to spend? I'm thinking around a hundred bucks or so to get a 50% reduction in sound leakage. Does that sound realistic? Also I have one window that currently has a few blankets nailed to the edges, is there a window-specific product I can get that would work better?

EDIT: Just measured and in the room I'm at 100db, outside the room with the door closed I'm at 80db (40db is the baseline level with the amp off. Guessing 60db would be a good target for outside the room?

revmoo fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 11, 2013

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

revmoo posted:

Tell me about soundproofing please. I need to reduce the noise pollution from my beat laboratory down a few notches. I'm thinking I need to fully cover the door into the room and put some panels on two of the walls. I don't need 100% reduction, just a bit more quiet. What should I expect to spend? I'm thinking around a hundred bucks or so to get a 50% reduction in sound leakage. Does that sound realistic? Also I have one window that currently has a few blankets nailed to the edges, is there a window-specific product I can get that would work better?

EDIT: Just measured and in the room I'm at 100db, outside the room with the door closed I'm at 80db (40db is the baseline level with the amp off. Guessing 60db would be a good target for outside the room?

The consensus is: Go all the way or don't bother. Soundproofing from the inside is much like an Aquarium. Sound leaks like water. Other than a flimsy door, sound will escape from heating vents, electrical sockets in the drywall, windows etc. I've seen examples online of people spending thousands on material, double drywall, green glue in between, special insulation, and being not really any better when measured than a normal room. Consider mixing at a lower volume? Why not 85db average/rms ?

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Is there an easy to install graphic eq for windows 7?

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
I got a decent quality 7.1 receiver off of craigslist for only $100, but I'm having much worse luck finding any speakers at all to go with it. I just moved to a city for the upcoming year after which I'll almost certainly move away to God-only-knows-where, I'm not super wealthy but have low expenses (so a few hundred to throw around), and I'd like to get some decent 5.1 or 7.1 speakers. Which would likely sound better: a cheap but well-reviewed system like this - http://www.amazon.com/Jamo-426-HCS-WENGE-5-Piece/dp/B003GGXGU6/ - or some actual quality, individual (say, Polk Monitor) 3.1 speakers for now and upgrade later? I'm looking at using them it a not-so-large living room.

If I were sure to keep them during the move, I'd opt for nicer ones and build them up over time, but space in my car for moving is at a real premium, so I'm much more likely to have to resell (or ship) all of this in a year anyway. As such, assuming I can probably resell them for some moderate loss regardless, I'm more curious about which is likely to generate better sound quality while I'm here.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

jonathan posted:

The consensus is: Go all the way or don't bother. Soundproofing from the inside is much like an Aquarium. Sound leaks like water. Other than a flimsy door, sound will escape from heating vents, electrical sockets in the drywall, windows etc. I've seen examples online of people spending thousands on material, double drywall, green glue in between, special insulation, and being not really any better when measured than a normal room. Consider mixing at a lower volume? Why not 85db average/rms ?
To expand on this, don't make the mistaking of confusing soundproofing with acoustic treating. Wall panels and bass traps are great for preventing sounds from bouncing around in a room. However, they do very little in the way of actually isolating sound. Aside from sound leakage through vents and whatnot, there's also going to be a lot of transmission through the drywall and studs.

I know that you're not looking for total isolation, but it really is something that's tough to retrofit in a room, especially with such a tiny budget. You can try getting a hollow door and stuffing it with dense insulation such as rockwool, and sealing the edges around the frame (especially the bottom). I think that would be your best bet on a budget, since the door is probably your weakest link and you're just looking to minimize, not eliminate, sound leakage.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

berzerker posted:

I got a decent quality 7.1 receiver off of craigslist for only $100, but I'm having much worse luck finding any speakers at all to go with it. I just moved to a city for the upcoming year after which I'll almost certainly move away to God-only-knows-where, I'm not super wealthy but have low expenses (so a few hundred to throw around), and I'd like to get some decent 5.1 or 7.1 speakers. Which would likely sound better: a cheap but well-reviewed system like this - http://www.amazon.com/Jamo-426-HCS-WENGE-5-Piece/dp/B003GGXGU6/ - or some actual quality, individual (say, Polk Monitor) 3.1 speakers for now and upgrade later? I'm looking at using them it a not-so-large living room.

If I were sure to keep them during the move, I'd opt for nicer ones and build them up over time, but space in my car for moving is at a real premium, so I'm much more likely to have to resell (or ship) all of this in a year anyway. As such, assuming I can probably resell them for some moderate loss regardless, I'm more curious about which is likely to generate better sound quality while I'm here.

Hrmm...

Jamo is a quality brand. They're owned by klipsch which themselves are pretty good. These speakers are also branded as energy speakers in some markets. Also owned by klipsch.

For that price you really can't go wrong.

Now the bad: even on the jamo website there are no drat measurements. No sensitivity or frequency response info. If you can find some, post them up because I am interested.

A failsafe good speaker setup is the Pioneer Andrew Jones lineup. They're not super sensitive but they put everything else in their price range to shame. I don't own them because I'm afraid they'd be just as good as my many thousand dollar setup.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

jonathan posted:

Hrmm...

Jamo is a quality brand. They're owned by klipsch which themselves are pretty good. These speakers are also branded as energy speakers in some markets. Also owned by klipsch.

For that price you really can't go wrong.

Now the bad: even on the jamo website there are no drat measurements. No sensitivity or frequency response info. If you can find some, post them up because I am interested.

A failsafe good speaker setup is the Pioneer Andrew Jones lineup. They're not super sensitive but they put everything else in their price range to shame. I don't own them because I'm afraid they'd be just as good as my many thousand dollar setup.

http://www.voxxintlcorp.com/docs/common/S426HCS3/S426HCS3_OM.pdf

quote:

Type S 426
System.............................. 2-way bass-reflex
Woofer [in/mm]...................... 2 x 5½ / 140
Tweeter [in/mm]..................... 1 / 25
Power long/shortterm [W]............ 100 / 140
Sensitivity [dB/2,8V/1m]............ 89
Frequency Range .................... 48 - 20.000
Cross-over frequency [Hz] .......... 2500
Impedance [Ohm] .................... 6
Weight [Kg] ........................ 8,7
Dimension HxWxD [mm] ............... 910 x 180 x 238

Type
S 420 CEN
System ............................. 2-way closed
Woofer [in/mm] ..................... 2 x 3½ / 89
Tweeter [in/mm] .................... ¾ / 19
Power long/shortterm [W]............ 80 / 120
Sensitivity [dB/2,8V/1m]............ 87
Frequency Range .................... 90 - 20.000
Weight [Kg] ........................ 1,83
Dimension HxWxD [mm] ............... 118 x 340 x 125

Type
S 420 SUR
System ............................. 2 way closed
Woofer [in/mm] ..................... 3½ / 89
Tweeter [in/mm] .................... ¾ / 19
Power long/shortterm [W] ........... 60 / 100
Sensitivity [dB/2,8V/1m]............ 86
Frequency Range .................... 90 - 20.000
Weight [Kg] ........................ 1,05
Dimension HxWxD [mm] ............... 215 x 118 x 125

The Pioneer Andrew Jones linup on Amazon looks like it's ~$630 for a 5.1 set. Are they significantly cheaper elsewhere or is that the 'failsafe good' price point?

berzerker fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 17, 2013

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Does anyone have any experience with the ZVOX systems like the 555 and 580? I really like the form factor, as it would allow me to majorly declutter my living room, but if they sound like crap, I probably won't bother. They seem to be well reviewed on Amazon. My setup now is nothing special. Just some old Klipsch Promedias and a cheapo 10" Polk Sub hooked up to a cheap Onkyo receiver. It doesn't even sound that great to be honest, so getting rid of it in favor of something more streamlined wouldn't be a big loss. I'm mainly looking for loud, clear dialogue in movies and TV shows. I don't care that much about positional audio.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 17, 2013

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Found an answer. Realtek HD manager.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
I'm at a loss here, so feel free to tell me to gently caress off, but if you do, direct me to the right thread. I'm trying to find a good, relatively inexpensive USB-powered fm radio, since even the newest iPhones still can't act as a receiver off of 3g/4g. Any suggestions?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Why does it have to be USB-powered? Get a cheap Walkman.

I'm trying to figure out how you think radio works:

quote:

even the newest iPhones still can't act as a receiver off of 3g/4g.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Also, a lot of radio stations have an I Heart Radio station too.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

It's for emergency purposes, for say, plugging into a USB solar pack. I'd get a Red Cross radio or something similar, but the reviews regarding its ability to charge, say, a smartphone is pretty terrible. So, I have a solar pack that charges smartphones great. I'd like to have a radio that has a USB power adapter so I don't necessarily need batteries.

So you're saying an iPhone can use I heart radio without being connected to wifi or cellular networks? Last I checked the iPhone had FM capability but apple did not develop software to enable it so its only way to use on air radio is through apps. If I'm wrong on that, please correct me.

( I think I miscommunicated. What I meant by what was quoted was that iPhones can't receive FM signals when they are not connected to cell networks. If they can I'm a dumbass and can't figure it out. )

Who Dat fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 30, 2013

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Search DX.com for "usb fm." Everything there is USB-powered. Example: http://dx.com/p/usb-rechargeable-portable-music-speaker-with-fm-radio-sd-usb-3-5mm-white-39610

Or more emergency-minded: http://dx.com/p/degen-de13-multifunction-hand-crank-solar-power-fm-mw-sw1-sw2-radio-w-led-torch-green-226425

Or more awesome: http://dx.com/p/hx55s-mini-sport-car-style-rechargeable-speaker-w-fm-radio-tf-slot-usb-black-silver-205785

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 30, 2013

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Who Dat posted:

It's for emergency purposes, for say, plugging into a USB solar pack. I'd get a Red Cross radio or something similar, but the reviews regarding its ability to charge, say, a smartphone is pretty terrible. So, I have a solar pack that charges smartphones great. I'd like to have a radio that has a USB power adapter so I don't necessarily need batteries.

So you're saying an iPhone can use I heart radio without being connected to wifi or cellular networks? Last I checked the iPhone had FM capability but apple did not develop software to enable it so its only way to use on air radio is through apps. If I'm wrong on that, please correct me.

( I think I miscommunicated. What I meant by what was quoted was that iPhones can't receive FM signals when they are not connected to cell networks. If they can I'm a dumbass and can't figure it out. )
Yeah iPhones can't do FM radio, you can stream stuff but you need a network connection of some sort. I'm not sure iPhones could ever do FM, but you might be thinking of iPod nanos. New ones aren't cheap but you could probably snag an old one, they've had FM for a while iirc (annoyingly not AM though). I think they use headphones as antennae though (or whatever wire in the headphone port), not sure if that'd be an issue for you.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

Thanks! Pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Those car radios are awesome but also pretty :rimshot:

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

revmoo posted:

Without knowing the dimensions of your room its impossible to price since the materials are typically priced per square meter. Not to burst your bubble or anything but I wouldn't be surprised if you had to pay over a hundred bucks per square meter in materials alone.

There comes a point where you exhaust all easy/cheap options like closing your door and all thats left is putting up extra layers of drywall and soundboard. Then there is the ceiling and floor to deal with.

It will add a couple of inches to the thickness of your walls and make your room smaller.

Unless you are a general contractor or a serious DIY head, its probably not something you want to attempt yourself?

Probably not a realistic option if you are living in rented accommodation.

Honestly, the best advice I can give is to get in touch with a licensed general contractor in your area. Tell them what you need to do and get a quote, but it won't be one hundred bucks cheap.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 31, 2013

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
I need either a recommendation for sturdy earbuds or a way to reinforce my cable at the jack, or both.

I wear my earbuds for ~2 hours every day and no matter how much care I put into taking the jack out I always seem to break these things inside of 3 months. I used to buy the nice expensive ones and then when I bought and destroyed my second pair within a year I decided to go the cheaper route, which of course has resulted in more broken earbuds. I understand that these things are frail, but does anyone have an idea of a pair that could last say, 8 months?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Bobx66 posted:

I need either a recommendation for sturdy earbuds or a way to reinforce my cable at the jack, or both.

If you don't get any responses here, try the headphone thread. Some people over there seem to be pretty knowledgable about earbuds/in-ears.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

revmoo posted:

Echoing others, but this is virtually impossible to do effectively. Sound will travel through any common material - floor, wall, ceiling etc. You'll only get very minor returns for treating one of these surfaces. You'll probably get some improvements addressing the door first - make sure it has a perimeter seal and something at the base, and maybe check if the leaf is solid. When you're outside the room, do you notice a lot of bass or treble? Can you hear it coming from anywhere in particular?

Beyond that - 100dB is pretty drat loud, and if that's an A-weighted Leq level, don't expect to be hearing your beats in a few years to come. Consider taking your $100 and going to get an audiogram done every year or so to check you're not damaging your ears.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Slimchandi posted:

Beyond that - 100dB is pretty drat loud, and if that's an A-weighted Leq level, don't expect to be hearing your beats in a few years to come. Consider taking your $100 and going to get an audiogram done every year or so to check you're not damaging your ears.

Yeah, I was gonna suggest headphones, but with those levels I'm not sure putting applying speakers directly onto the ears will be safe...

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

If you don't get any responses here, try the headphone thread. Some people over there seem to be pretty knowledgable about earbuds/in-ears.

My mistake I didn't find that at first glance. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bobx66 posted:

I wear my earbuds for ~2 hours every day and no matter how much care I put into taking the jack out I always seem to break these things inside of 3 months. I used to buy the nice expensive ones and then when I bought and destroyed my second pair within a year I decided to go the cheaper route, which of course has resulted in more broken earbuds. I understand that these things are frail, but does anyone have an idea of a pair that could last say, 8 months?
Thought about just eliminating the jack part of the equation entirely with some Bluetooth headphones?

Edit: just remembered this thing: http://www.replug.com/home.php

japtor fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Aug 3, 2013