Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

My boss told me developing the oilsands is the the only way to create jobs and ensure prosperity. It must be true because he has more money than me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

vyelkin posted:

It totally is. It's on the NatPo video player, not a Youtube:

Thanks, Opera is acting up.

Edit: Looks like Yatim was returning to the location he was standing a few seconds prior. I don't think there's any way that shooting is defensible.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

treble posted:

The Star has apparently identified the shooter according to police sources:

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2013/07/30/sammy_yatim_officer_in_shooting_identified.html

Apparently he was on the provincial "sunshine list" of public employees who earned over $100k last year.

He's so devastated. It was just so difficult for him to pull the trigger. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

What's really damning here, aside from the multiple videos, is that out of all the cops present, out of all the bullets fired, the killing was the doing of just one guy. No one else present seemed to think that bullets were warranted.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

He's so devastated. It was just so difficult for him to pull the trigger. And again. And again. And again. And then pause for a long time. And then again. And again. And again. And again. And again.

FTFY.

BattleMaster posted:

What's really damning here, aside from the multiple videos, is that out of all the cops present, out of all the bullets fired, the killing was the doing of just one guy. No one else present seemed to think that bullets were warranted.

Yeah, that's what's really odd.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

He's so devastated. It was just so difficult for him to pull the trigger. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again.
Another tragic victim of the vicious attacks of Canada's hug-a-thug liberal media.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
It's also clear from the security video, if I'm understanding correctly when shots were fired, that Yatim wasn't moving at all after the first three shots dropped him. The other officers seem surprised and scatter when shooting resumes.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Paper Mac posted:

It's also clear from the security video, if I'm understanding correctly when shots were fired, that Yatim wasn't moving at all after the first three shots dropped him. The other officers seem surprised and scatter when shooting resumes.

I saw a description of the security tape state that Yatim's right leg "moves around a little bit" which is of course a perfect reason to fire six more shots.

What still bothers me is that only one officer has been suspended when every officer there was present when the decision was made to TASER YATIM AFTER HE HAD NINE BULLETS FIRED AT HIM.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

And now the only married news team in Canada...

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Maybe the only ones in Canada

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Just watched the Yatim video. Jesus Christ, I think you got him Constable :stare:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Shuyee Lee @sleeCJAD
Loud bang heard in Cote St Luc where standoff continues with armed man barricaded in his house since about noon yesterday #CJAD #standoff

Police issue order twice via loud horn to barricaded man to surrender, the second followed by a loud bang

"Drop your gun, come out, make sure we see you" police to barricaded man in

"No way we're going to let you go on like this, you need to surrender right now." police to barricaded man in #cotestluc #CJAD #standoff

"We're taking charge now, come out slowly through the front door." police to barricaded man in #cotestluc #CJAD #standoff

Several big bangs heard #cotestluc #CJAD #standoff

Another message to surrender followed by loud bangs #CJAD #standoff #cotestluc

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The Ottawa Citizen reports that it's a 74-year-old man with dementia and a lot of firearms. He threatened a hydro employee when the guy came to change the meter, shot at police and is now refusing (or unable) to communicate.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Pfft sounds like Cote St. Luc could use a little Toronto Justice to get this thing wrapped up by lunch.

e: A bit of quick internet detective-ry last night told me that Const. James Fucillo (Sammy Yatim shooter) is an ex-Montrealais.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Makes sense, we've got rotten luck with competent cops in Montreal.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Well, on the other hand they managed to wrap this incident up without any additional murder (or tear-gassing a senile 74-year old, which I'm SURE would have ended well.)

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Odddzy posted:

Makes sense, we've got rotten luck with competent cops in Montreal.

You don't have to tell me, I was close enough to hear the gunshots when Martin Suazo was murdered.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2001/03/02/suazo010302.html

quote:

Five years after his son was fatally shot while on his knees waiting to be handcuffed for shoplifting, Alessandro Suazo can't believe that a Montreal police officer has only been suspended without pay for 45 days.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
Not the same caliber as the shooting/standoff, but I didn't see this posted in the last few pages.

Ottawa Citizen forces Carleton University to hand over students marks. Not sure if this is actually an issue, but it bothers me. Their reasoning seems faulty, and the don't provide information as to why they wanted to marks in the article. It comes out later, in the comment section (from the author) that he wants to check for "grade inflation".

In the article they claim that since Carleton is "publicly funded" that Ontario Taxpayers have the right to know how students are doing. And that employers need to know if a degree from one school is worth more than that of another. That ignores the fact that students pay tuition, and in my experience - employers don't give a gently caress how you did in first year calculus, or art history. Grades are only used to get funding from agencies, or to apply for more schooling. Both of those things are regulated by the academic industry themselves, and therefore it's in the schools interests to make sure that a mark from one school is roughly par with marks from another.

I can't help but feel they just want this information so they can say "look at gen Y! They have it so easy! back in my day we had to work for our marks!",etc., etc.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
It's a good thing those lazy Gen-Y kids won't have any jobs to go to when they graduate. That'll build some character!

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Sir Teabag posted:

Not the same caliber as the shooting/standoff, but I didn't see this posted in the last few pages.

Ottawa Citizen forces Carleton University to hand over students marks. Not sure if this is actually an issue, but it bothers me. Their reasoning seems faulty, and the don't provide information as to why they wanted to marks in the article. It comes out later, in the comment section (from the author) that he wants to check for "grade inflation".

In the article they claim that since Carleton is "publicly funded" that Ontario Taxpayers have the right to know how students are doing. And that employers need to know if a degree from one school is worth more than that of another. That ignores the fact that students pay tuition, and in my experience - employers don't give a gently caress how you did in first year calculus, or art history. Grades are only used to get funding from agencies, or to apply for more schooling. Both of those things are regulated by the academic industry themselves, and therefore it's in the schools interests to make sure that a mark from one school is roughly par with marks from another.

I can't help but feel they just want this information so they can say "look at gen Y! They have it so easy! back in my day we had to work for our marks!",etc., etc.

that almost made me happy that they where going to be forced to give me my transcript without paying 75 bucks.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I think [url=]there[/url] will be the final polls for the Ontario byelections tomorrow, from Campaign Research.

Nothing terribly surprising. Close races in Etobicoke and London (with Al Gretzky potentially serving as spoiler :laffo:), potential for an upset in Scarborough, PCs ahead in Ottawa and NDP running away with Windsor.

Man, imagine Pupatello winning the leadership and having to fight for her seat in Windsor :allears:.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Please tell me that this means the end of Giambrone's miraculous comeback from being a tremendous shithead.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I'll be working the Windsor Tecumseh election for the Liberals. I enjoy free sandwiches.

There's a Libertarian candidate in Windsor Tecumseh. No I'm serious.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

eXXon posted:

Please tell me that this means the end of Giambrone's miraculous comeback from being a tremendous shithead.

He'll just end up running somewhere like Trinity—Spadina federally or provincially next year, and he'll win that time.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I literally only just yesterday got my first flyer from Bronwyn Funiciello. I had no idea she's VP of the OCDSB, not that it'll make a difference at this point in anyone's vote.

Still haven't ever seen anything from Matt Young or the Green Party Also-Ran, other than signs everywhere.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I'll be working the Windsor Tecumseh election for the Liberals. I enjoy free sandwiches.

There's a Libertarian candidate in Windsor Tecumseh. No I'm serious.

Same on both for Ottawa South.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Same on both for Ottawa South.

There's a guy running for the Pauper Party. I guess it's John Turmel, the batshit crazypants with the dubious honour of having run in the most elections ever?

His party's platform is to have the police stop getting involved with drugs, gambling, and sex! Awesome!

And also the elimination of any and all social aid programs. gently caress you, welfare recipients.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I literally only just yesterday got my first flyer from Bronwyn Funiciello. I had no idea she's VP of the OCDSB, not that it'll make a difference at this point in anyone's vote.

Still haven't ever seen anything from Matt Young or the Green Party Also-Ran, other than signs everywhere.

Woah crazy, we have lit dropped most of the riding at least once with most bell weather and leaning places twice. What poll/where are you located?

Edit also: Listen to 580CFRA today at around 2 on Rob Snow, prepare for another bunker buster.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Team THEOLOGY posted:

Woah crazy, we have lit dropped most of the riding at least once with most bell weather and leaning places twice. What poll/where are you located?

Edit also: Listen to 580CFRA today at around 2 on Rob Snow, prepare for another bunker buster.

Wait, I thought Jon was the bastard, and Robb was the true king in the north.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Team THEOLOGY posted:

What poll/where are you located?
Don't do it man, it's a trap

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

There's a guy running for the Pauper Party. I guess it's John Turmel, the batshit crazypants with the dubious honour of having run in the most elections ever?

His party's platform is to have the police stop getting involved with drugs, gambling, and sex! Awesome!

And also the elimination of any and all social aid programs. gently caress you, welfare recipients.

You do realize this led me to look up fringe parties on wikipedia right?

Of note,one of the Christain Heritage Party's stated goals?
"having non-violent criminals pay restitution out of jail,"

BRING BACK WEREGILD!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Team THEOLOGY posted:

What poll/where are you located?

Campaign tunnel vision is amazing. "What poll are you in" is not a question anyone knows the answer to.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Kafka Esq. posted:

Don't do it man, it's a trap

...I don't know if I can trust you, Mr. Levant.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Team THEOLOGY posted:

Ugh, do I have to? 580 makes my blood boil, even when it's not Lowell Green on.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Ugh, do I have to? 580 makes my blood boil, even when it's not Lowell Green on.

This. Can we get him convicted of some sort of hate crime against my sanity?

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

Campaign tunnel vision is amazing. "What poll are you in" is not a question anyone knows the answer to.

Haha that is so true. Sorry. Been a long few weeks. Honestly I was just interested in the general area to see if we missed it, or it was intentional.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Elmvale Acres, if it helps. Maybe you guys hit here, but I don't remember getting anything. There are tons of signs all over the place, though.

There's a duplex nearby with a Matt Young on one side and a John Fraser on the other. I'm sure they're the best of neighbours.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Uh oh tyshalle. The eye of Mordor is on you now. I hope you're looking forward to receiving notice from Elections Ontario that the location of your polling station was changed at the last minute!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I voted in an advance poll. I take democracy seriously and also enjoy standing in lines where I'm the youngest person by about four decades. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
So what was this "Bunker Buster" dropped on the Liberals in Ottawa South?

• Locked thread