Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

As a Fuji 18-55 owner, I couldn't bear throwing mine off a bridge. I will admit the 35 1.4 is much more awesome, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I shoot my 50 90% of the time and I still think kit lenses are loving awesome.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I have the feeling to use all primes. I rather like the simplicity. Someone tell me I am stupid.

I'm looking to get a 34 1.4 and 85 1.8 to go with my 50 1.4. I'd take those 3 lenses when I wanted to travel light. If I needed something more versatile, then I add the 17-40 and 70-200.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you want to travel light why carry the 1.4's?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

evil_bunnY posted:

If you want to travel light why carry the 1.4's?

Primes weight < zooms weight

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

pseudonordic posted:

Primes weight < zooms weight
My bad, when you said 17-40 I should have realized you shoot canon. The new 1.4 nikkor's are stupid, suffering the same defaults as the cheaper/lighter 1.8.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Can't use the 30 since I recently went with FF, looking at the 35 1.4 for a down the road purchase.
Buy it nao!

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Can't use the 30 since I recently went with FF, looking at the 35 1.4 for a down the road purchase.
The new 30 1.4 ART is technically pseudo-FF.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1220042

Wario In Real Life fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 31, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

ante posted:

Thanks, dudes.

The reason I have that lens is that I got given an old decommissioned speed camera (in the original housing (that has window wipers on the glass window)), and the lens is off the Hitachi CCTV camera. Maybe I'll see if I can get that working, could still be pretty cool.

A lens like that is better suited to something like a GH2/GH3 in crop mode, or the Blackmagic Pocket Camera.

Or, you know, a 2/3" ENG camera.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Is it the same buttery goodness as the 35 1.4 DG? I am all for spending less and getting more.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The optical performance is on par of the old 30mm, IIRC. Only the corners are a little better. The 35mm should still be sharper.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Zooms are the new primes

Seriously, high end zooms are just sharp as primes now a days (unless you're a basement dwelling pixel peeper). I shot with nothing but a 50 1.8 for 2 years so I'm over primes.

Then again I still want to get a good 30 for times when I want to limit myself and/or carry no more gear than the camera and a lens.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Haggins posted:

Zooms are the new primes

Seriously, high end zooms are just sharp as primes now a days (unless you're a basement dwelling pixel peeper). I shot with nothing but a 50 1.8 for 2 years so I'm over primes.

Then again I still want to get a good 30 for times when I want to limit myself and/or carry no more gear than the camera and a lens.

Yeah but the problem (for me) is spending the money on high end zooms. That and I want to do the footwork and frame the shot, take more time, think about it, etc. All these are positives to me.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Haggins posted:

Zooms are the new primes

Seriously, high end zooms are just sharp as primes now a days
This whole argument makes no sense. Sure the new zooms are great, but they're 2 pounds and 2 grand a piece. On the other hand, you can loving zoom, and if you want that you deal with the drawbacks. One isn't superior to the other.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Haggins posted:

Zooms are the new primes

High end zooms are also out of people's price ranges. Yeah, you could spend $1000 on a 24-70, or you could get yourself any 3 of a Samyang 14mm, a Pentax 35/2.4, a 50/1.4, or a Tamron 90/2.8 macro for around the same price. Or I loving love the Sigma 30/2.8 and 19/2.8, if they're produced for your system.

The cheap zooms people tend to have access to are usually fairly trashy. Apart from covering the wide end most kit zooms don't really do much compared to the glass that's floating around real cheap. Woohoo, f/5.6 at 50mm and it's still not sharp even then? :confuoot:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 31, 2013

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

For walkaround use, mid-range zooms are fine as long as you don't need/expect sharp corners wide open. Tamron's 17-50mm f/2.8 and 28-75mm f/2.8 are good enough for most people in most situations. For me, primes have turned into low-light lenses, rather than what I must use for acceptable results.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Yeah, I don't really like operating with my 2.8 zooms wide open, but they're dreamy with enough light at f4.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

This whole argument makes no sense. Sure the new zooms are great, but they're 2 pounds and 2 grand a piece. On the other hand, you can loving zoom, and if you want that you deal with the drawbacks. One isn't superior to the other.

My only point is that now a days I feel like my zoom is a prime, at least quality wise. I'm not arguing that people should avoid primes, but rather stating that I prefer not to use them anymore (for the most part.) I'm pretty happy with being able to carry 3 lenses to do just about everything I need. The only reason I'd want to use primes now a days is for super shallow DoF or creative limitations.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Or it's dark as poo poo in this church and here comes the bride, ffffuck 1/15 shutter speeeeeeeeed

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Miko posted:

Or it's dark as poo poo in this church and here comes the bride, ffffuck 1/15 shutter speeeeeeeeed

"We're having a nighttime candlelight-only lite wedding."

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

doctor 7 posted:

"We're having a nighttime candlelight-only lite wedding."

Barry Lyndon theme wedding.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Miko posted:

My first wedding. Catholic church pre-ceremony, I practiced on a few people walking down the aisle to get my setting dialed in. It was dim but doable since flashes were not allowed and I was pushing my iso to balance something usable with fast enough shutter to not be shaky, fast enough aperture to bring in light but small enough to get a decent amount of things in focus. A few shots later, I had the result I wanted.

Bride and groom appear ... and they shut the lights off. The only artificial light was coming from the altar and it was completely different color than what was previously available.

I must have had the biggest WTF look on my face and probably said something out loud along the lines of Gob from arrested development "COME ON ...."

I ended up quickly just setting auto iso, and shutter priority to 1/60th to be safe. Grainy photos became black and white and that was about the only way I could salvage what I shot. They were satisfied especially since it was one of those "sure I'll shoot your wedding for $400" ordeals.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Miko posted:

I wouldn't even say that's a big deal if you have a camera that has good ISO performance. Hell, I know concert photographers that use zooms now a days. Besides, focus at 1.4 in low light at a dynamic event like a wedding is kinda hard to nail.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
that's why you rock the 5d3 -- for that sweet, sweet autofocus. :smug:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Haha. My friends asked me to be there videographer as a present (I worked the full day, I've done 15+ hours of post and still not even close to done, doing that again). I've told them they'll probably get it in a few months but right now I'm working full time away from home until late Sept).

We were inside a hall for the reception. I had one camera set on a tripod and another in my hand. I arrived early to get things set up. I matched the ISO, f stops, white balance and speeds (shooting video so no RAW second chances). As soon as the event started they turned off all the indoor lighting. I distinctly remember saying "God drat it."

On the plus side someone asked my fiancée to be the videographer for their wedding and she told them no for me without even asking me. She noticed I was sweating spinal fluid the whole time. Never doing that again without a second shooter. Never.

Also I'm glad I'm not the only one who goes "wow that's some terrible lighting... looks like we're going B&W in post!"

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Just buy a Sigma 18-35/1.8 and all of your problems are solved/dreams come true

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I have a question about all this backfocus stuff and adjustments and what not.

When the camera asks the lens to focus, is that just a regulation loop where it makes the lens focus back and forth until everything is sharp? Or does the camera actually know what the focus distance is (say 3 meters) and then tells the lens "kindly focus at 3 meters" and then the lens might be a bit off and it focuses at 2.9 meters instead?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bolind posted:

I have a question about all this backfocus stuff and adjustments and what not.

When the camera asks the lens to focus, is that just a regulation loop where it makes the lens focus back and forth until everything is sharp? Or does the camera actually know what the focus distance is (say 3 meters) and then tells the lens "kindly focus at 3 meters" and then the lens might be a bit off and it focuses at 2.9 meters instead?
It's one step unless you use continuous AF, which closes the loop (another reason why back button focus is nice).

The back and forth thing is how contrast detect on most p&s cameras/phones work

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
At my buddy's wedding in DC we took the metro from the church to the reception and the photog came along with us. The ambient lighting in the underground DC metro stops is mostly greenish fluorescents, the light inside the trains is incandescent, and the photog was shooting with an ungelled flash -- a hellish mix of light. During a bit of downtime on the train ride I asked him if he ever gels his flash and he was like "Oh, these are all going to be B&W". So B&W in challenging lighting conditions is a legit move, I guess.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Just looking for a bag, a simple bag, in which I can stick a tripod, a light stand, and an umbrella or two. Bought something that seemed reasonable on Amazon, the zipper broke within two weeks. Any suggestions on something a bit more resistant to fall-apart?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Phanatic posted:

Just looking for a bag, a simple bag, in which I can stick a tripod, a light stand, and an umbrella or two. Bought something that seemed reasonable on Amazon, the zipper broke within two weeks. Any suggestions on something a bit more resistant to fall-apart?

I have this one http://www.amazon.com/VidPro-Carryi...rds=tripod+bag, I only use it for protecting my tripod from the other stuff in my trunk though so no idea how resiliant it is to actually being carried around. If you don't mind spending the money Domke makes tripod bags and all of their stuff is nice. http://www.amazon.com/Domke-709-432D-F-432-32-Inch-Tripod/dp/B00126FVIC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375411133&sr=8-2&keywords=domke+tripod+bag

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

8th-snype posted:

I have this one http://www.amazon.com/VidPro-Carryi...rds=tripod+bag, I only use it for protecting my tripod from the other stuff in my trunk though so no idea how resiliant it is to actually being carried around. If you don't mind spending the money Domke makes tripod bags and all of their stuff is nice. http://www.amazon.com/Domke-709-432D-F-432-32-Inch-Tripod/dp/B00126FVIC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375411133&sr=8-2&keywords=domke+tripod+bag

Okay, the VidPro's the one with the zipper that fell right off so I guess I need to go higher than the $15 range to get some durability. I'll take a look at the Domke.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Phanatic posted:

Okay, the VidPro's the one with the zipper that fell right off so I guess I need to go higher than the $15 range to get some durability. I'll take a look at the Domke.

Yup, the zipper is made of a super-soft cardboard-like material that bands and breaks the minute it encounters any sort of force. Pick out something more rugged.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
The two things I feel no photography should go cheap on are tripods and bags. Tripods because anything under $100 will break in a year or so with moderate use and a bag because it is the only thing protecting your stuff from the pavement below. Not specifically helpful, but I learned this the hard/expensive way.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Phanatic posted:

Well, I guess it's a good thing I never actually zip mine up then.

rcman50166 posted:

The two things I feel no photography should go cheap on are tripods and bags. Tripods because anything under $100 will break in a year or so with moderate use and a bag because it is the only thing protecting your stuff from the pavement below. Not specifically helpful, but I learned this the hard/expensive way.

Some inexpensive stuff is fine. My daily carry bag for small formats is a $20 Lowepro messenger and it's great.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

8th-snype posted:

Some inexpensive stuff is fine. My daily carry bag for small formats is a $20 Lowepro messenger and it's great.

The $30 cheapie Canon bag I got has been fine too.. I've taken it up mountains, walked through rain storms, and dumped it to the pavement it out the back of my car because someone (not me I'll never admit to it) left the tailgate open and drove off.

Camera and lenses have survived it all.

Only reason I could see spending more for something different is because the bag isn't super comfortable to wear on long hikes.. it pulls away from the back too much because the camera sits on the top and it makes a lot of back strain.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

8th-snype posted:

Lowepro is typically generous with its padding, even on economic models.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The few lowepro bags I've seen look straight out of the 80's in a bad way, but they're competent.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

evil_bunnY posted:

The few lowepro bags I've seen look straight out of the 80's in a bad way, but they're competent.

That's what I like about them.. They look cheap. You can blend in everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Yeah mine is a small gray messenger with minimal padding.