Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Sir John Feelgood posted:

I don't see the Wii U outselling the GameCube.

They wasted a year. Most people don't even know the Wii U exists. Of the people who do know, a large % thinks it's a peripheral for the Wii.

At $350, it's pricey as hell for last-gen tech and weak third-party support. The GameCube launched at $199 ($257 today), and it hit $99 on its second anniversary. It still sold only ~22 million. And it had a lot of good exclusives.

It's pretty crazy the PS4 will only be $50 more, and that comes with a 500gig HD and much, much more powerful hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

MUFFlNS posted:

Because they're in a significantly worse situation now compared to then, to the point where it makes the N64 and GameCube look like major successes in comparison.
Worse how? The SNES easily trounced their competition sales wise, but when the PS1 came out all of their third parties jumped ship to develop for Playstation, including Squaresoft who went to produce arguably that generation's defining game on their competitor's console. Plus it came out the same year that they discontinued the Virtual Boy, which many would argue was the biggest flop in the industry since ET.

If you look back at the N64, 95% of the games that everyone remembers on it were Nintendo first party titles. So how exactly is Nintendo in a worse situation now than then?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Crowbear posted:

Man this thread got really aggressive while I was asleep :stare:

Anyway, Nintendo's Q1 report is out. The Wii U somehow managed to defy all expectations and ship only 160k units worldwide over 3 months, bringing it's total up to 3.61 million units shipped. Even the most pessimistic predictions I was seeing thought it would get up to 4 million, but it seems they still haven't sold through their launch quarter shipments.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=639998
Meanwhile, the Wii sold 260k units in the same period.

They are getting beaten by themselves.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Spalec posted:

It's pretty crazy the PS4 will only be $50 more, and that comes with a 500gig HD and much, much more powerful hardware.
Well, I expect them to drop the price. They need to drop it to $250. Maybe $199. I don't know if they can do that, but $300 won't do.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spalec posted:

It, in theory, will also have online play worth a drat and have its respective handheld well integrated into its ecosystem.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

fivegears4reverse posted:

At any point during the last seven years Nintendo could have observed all the things to be prepared for as experienced by their competition, and they did nothing.

Yeah, Nintendo should have had this all ready for 2011 not 2012. No excuse not to be. They were dancing in their money.

CapnAndy posted:

Meanwhile, the Wii sold 260k units in the same period.

They are getting beaten by themselves.

To be fair, PS2 was crushing PS3 for a long time after the PS3 was released.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Barudak posted:

It, in theory, will also have online play worth a drat and have its respective handheld well integrated into its ecosystem.
Yeah, jeez. The N64 and GameCube sold 30 million and 20 million respectively, and that's when single-player gaming was all there really was on consoles. Now online gaming's huge, and Nintendo's not offering it in any respectable way.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Nintendo has stated their unfamiliarity with HD and the earthqueake were major reasons for the game delays.
It's astounding that they think that's a valid excuse in the year of our Lord two thousand and loving thirteen.

Nintendo's been a bunch of loving luddites for a long time, honestly. Disc-based media? Whatever, enjoy your load times, scrubs. The Internet? Flash in the pan, who needs it. HD TVs? Haha that won't catch on, have an HDMI cable or something we guess, now shut up.

This is the inevitable end result of 20 years of the arrogance to think they can stand athwart history and yell "Stop!"

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

CapnAndy posted:

It's astounding that they think that's a valid excuse in the year of our Lord two thousand and loving thirteen.

Nintendo's been a bunch of loving luddites for a long time, honestly. Disc-based media? Whatever, enjoy your load times, scrubs. The Internet? Flash in the pan, who needs it. HD TVs? Haha that won't catch on, have an HDMI cable or something we guess, now shut up.

This is the inevitable end result of 20 years of the arrogance to think they can stand athwart history and yell "Stop!"
Looking at this, it takes about two generations for them to figure out that what they've been doing is retarded, with the in between Generation being the one where they reluctantly adapt to the practice they ignored previously but in a really dumb way. Hence why the Gamecube was a disc system, but they insisted on using minidiscs, and why the Wii had online, but it was still terrible.

If that pattern follows then they're going to figure out Online at some point during the WiiU's lifecycle, but we'll need to wait till the next console for them to get HD right.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CapnAndy posted:

Agreed.

Nintendo must have been doing jack poo poo in 2009 and 2010 but telling everyone they were busy busy.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

TaurusOxford posted:

Except no gamer who knows any better is gonna buy a WiiU for next-gen games. Using your example, why the hell would I buy Arkham Origins for the WiiU when I can get it for PS4 where it will look and play far better?

-They want to play Nintendo's exclusive franchises as well
-Only have enough money to buy one system.
-The WiiU is cheaper overall (no need to rebuy controllers at $60 each as well)
-In November the WIiU will have an existing (though small) library of games already, compared to the much smaller PS4/XBO Library at launch
-They want off screen play.
-They don't want to have to pay for online play.
-The WiiU is backwards compatible, so they can trade in their Wii for extra money towards the system.

But if they just want to play it on the console that looks the best and don't care for Mario or Zelda, then they'll probably get another console.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Well, their eschewal of HD graphics was so the Wii would be affordable. Its low price allowed people to indulge their curiosity.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pixeltendo posted:

But aren't pretty much most Nintendo games mass appealed to all ages? Lots of people old and young still play Pokemon..

And Pokemon's main series is solely on the handhelds, which doesn't help their console sales.

Katana Gomai posted:

Do you even know what an Amiga is, you idiot? Here's a list of loving awful Amiga games which genuinely stink: Monkey Island, The Settlers, Lemmings, Cannon Fodder, Dune II, Flashback, Wings, Turrican, Pirates, Sim City, Worms, North & South, Civilization, ...

That sure is a list of games that were on the PC, SNES, Macintosh, and several other systems as well!

Interesting fact: only 4 million Amigas were sold, worldwide, over the 10 years they were available. Feel free to compare that to any major game console.

I don't see Nintendo recapturing the casual market with a home console again. They got away with "We're not even competing" once. Now they have to compete. If their next console isn't attractive to third parties, they can either be satisfied with GameCube numbers or leave the market.

To be fair, Wii games didn't look that bad so long as they were being used on old standard def CRTs, and the country didn't go majority HD until several years after it came out. For the first few years, plenty of people were content with what you could get out of it, especially with it costing $150 less than a base 360 and $250 less then a base PS3.

Strange Matter posted:

Worse how? The SNES easily trounced their competition sales wise, but when the PS1 came out all of their third parties jumped ship to develop for Playstation, including Squaresoft who went to produce arguably that generation's defining game on their competitor's console. Plus it came out the same year that they discontinued the Virtual Boy, which many would argue was the biggest flop in the industry since ET.

If you look back at the N64, 95% of the games that everyone remembers on it were Nintendo first party titles. So how exactly is Nintendo in a worse situation now than then?

Eh, the SNES vs Genesis was like 49 million versus 41 million. Nothing like the next generation where it was 102 million vs 33 million vs 9 million (PSX, N64, Saturn). Or the previous generation where it went NES -> SMS -> 7800 at 62 million vs 15 million vs 4 million.

All told the 16 bit era was about the closest generation we've ever seen for the major systems.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Astro7x posted:

-In November the WIiU will have an existing (though small) library of games already, compared to the much smaller PS4/XBO Library at launch
-The WiiU is backwards compatible, so they can trade in their Wii for extra money towards the system.

But if they just want to play it on the console that looks the best and don't care for Mario or Zelda, then they'll probably get another console.

This sure is a list of points that has been talked to death here, especially since some of the points are misinformed and stretching to make the WiiU look better.

The only thing that I will comment on is that your November line about an existing library of games is going to go to poo poo when third party and indie developers constantly release on the XB1/PS4 within the first month of both consoles lifetime that will make this non-existent advantage go away. Especially having the benefit of them being actual new games instead of year old retreads

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

Except no gamer who knows any better is gonna buy a WiiU for next-gen games. Using your example, why the hell would I buy Arkham Origins for the WiiU when I can get it for PS4 where it will look and play far better?
Arkahm Origins isn't coming out for next-gen systems. That's not the point, but I'm just saying.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Install Windows posted:

All told the 16 bit era was about the closest generation we've ever seen for the major systems.
Haven't all three consoles spent time in the lead this gen?

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Install Windows posted:

To be fair, Wii games didn't look that bad so long as they were being used on old standard def CRTs, and the country didn't go majority HD until several years after it came out. For the first few years, plenty of people were content with what you could get out of it, especially with it costing $150 less than a base 360 and $250 less then a base PS3.
I totally agree. It was a great move. See my post above yours.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Crowbear posted:

Man this thread got really aggressive while I was asleep :stare:

Anyway, Nintendo's Q1 report is out. The Wii U somehow managed to defy all expectations and ship only 160k units worldwide over 3 months, bringing it's total up to 3.61 million units shipped. Even the most pessimistic predictions I was seeing thought it would get up to 4 million, but it seems they still haven't sold through their launch quarter shipments.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=639998

That's worse than my most pessimistic prediction. At this point they need to slash the price by a good 40~50%. Those sales are abysmal.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Arkahm Origins isn't coming out for next-gen systems. That's not the point, but I'm just saying.

The person I was replying to used Arkham Origins as an example so I went with it. I could make the same point with AC4 Black Flag.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Speaking of Arkham Origins, its multiplayer mode was just announced today, but only for the PS3, 360, and PC. Seems even Warner Bros (one of the most supportive 3rd parties) is losing faith in the Wii U.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Astro7x posted:

Must be nice living in fantasy land.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CapnAndy posted:

Haven't all three consoles spent time in the lead this gen?

As it stands, the Wii's at 100 million, the 360's at 77 million, and the PS3 is also at 77 million.

Obviously the 360 was ahead for that full year of release it had before the Wii/PS3 came out, but the Wii stayed ahead of the PS3 easily and quickly got ahead of the 360 as well.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Are people honestly amazed that the Wii's initial drive is fading out. How long can you waggle the 'mote with grandma until it gets repetitive. I'm not hating on anything, just saying, does this really come as a shock after all the turgid shovelware, plus lukewarm reception of similar competing concepts such as kinect and move.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ka0 posted:

Are people honestly amazed that the Wii's initial drive is fading out. How long can you waggle the 'mote with grandma until it gets repetitive. I'm not hating on anything, just saying, does this really come as a shock after all the turgid shovelware, plus lukewarm reception of similar competing concepts such as kinect and move.

I think people are amazed at how quickly it faded it out and how badly botched almost every facet of this launch is. There is pretty much nothing to point at in this launch that says Nintendo has learned anything about the years 2006-2012 much less the years 1996-2005.

Also, Kinect wasn't luke-warm per se, for a midlife console attachment its probably one of the top performers at 30% attachment and allegedly managed to make back its insane launch costs.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm totally gonna pick up a used Wii U in 4 to 6 years or when it gets thoroughly hacked.

It's gamefaqs level gamers.txt all the way down.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Geek U.S.A. posted:

Must be nice living in fantasy land.
Actually this describes my situation almost perfectly, and I'm still not going to buy a WiiU until the price drops. However as I've said in this thread before I am not a demographic that Nintendo should really be targeting.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
So what would Nintendo have to do here to have a chance at salvaging the situation?

I personally feel even if they do attempt a relaunch during the Christmas period, what possible chance do they have of creating consumer interest? They couldn't manage it when they practically had no competition and now they have to deal with marketing from Microsoft and Sony.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Asuron posted:

So what would Nintendo have to do here to have a chance at salvaging the situation?

Price Drop, Ad Campaign, Games, and Software that should exist in 2013 instead of 2006 (hey guys it's me again bitching about the operating system)

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Zomodok posted:

Price Drop, Ad Campaign, Games, and Software that should exist in 2013 instead of 2006 (hey guys it's me again bitching about the operating system)
I doubt you'll hear much opposition to complaints about Nintendo's firmware.

I remember before E3 2012 I had a fever dream that the WiiU's home screen would be a world screen from Mario 3, where each level was either an app or a folder you could open to access content or services.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Asuron posted:

I personally feel even if they do attempt a relaunch during the Christmas period, what possible chance do they have of creating consumer interest? They couldn't manage it when they practically had no competition and now they have to deal with marketing from Microsoft and Sony.
I believe there's a lot of people like me who are interested but are waiting for certain game releases and a price drop.

That accounts for only so many sales, though. Unless they come out with something ingenious, I predict lifetime sales will be < 20 million.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zomodok posted:

They also should probably work on better unifying their Handheld/Console experience in a way that doesn't involve internet tunneling or whatever term they came up with for "you can play your portable videogame online but only when near your home console"

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Install Windows posted:

As it stands, the Wii's at 100 million, the 360's at 77 million, and the PS3 is also at 77 million.

Obviously the 360 was ahead for that full year of release it had before the Wii/PS3 came out, but the Wii stayed ahead of the PS3 easily and quickly got ahead of the 360 as well.
I mean in the quarter-to-quarter horse race. Every console's had time in the sun.

Zomodok posted:

What's sad is that that might actually not be as reasonable as it sounds any more. Price drop and ad campaign, sure, but how the gently caress are they gonna get their games and software up to modern standards in less than a timespan of years? They are way behind. By the time they get to 2013 standards it'll be 2015 and the PS4/One will be comfortably entrenched and making the Wii U look even worse.

Best solution might be to blow it all up and go third party. Not permanently! Get your R&D guys working on first being able to match next gen stuff, and then tell them "okay, now figure out what's next". They'll have plenty of time. Meanwhile you can figure out HD game development in an environment where three decent games a year is actually okay, because you're not carrying the weight of supporting an entire console on your shoulders any more.

Plus, it might be the only way they'll ever figure out what other people want. Force them to develop in someone else's environment and actually see what it's like compared to theirs. Rub their noses in what's expected of a modern game studio, including using the Internet. Who knows, a miracle might happen and they might even realize why the other way is better and they've been hamstringing themselves by insisting on proprietary bullshit.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

CapnAndy posted:

Best solution might be to blow it all up and go third party. Not permanently! Get your R&D guys working on first being able to match next gen stuff, and then tell them "okay, now figure out what's next". They'll have plenty of time. Meanwhile you can figure out HD game development in an environment where three decent games a year is actually okay, because you're not carrying the weight of supporting an entire console on your shoulders any more.

Plus, it might be the only way they'll ever figure out what other people want. Force them to develop in someone else's environment and actually see what it's like compared to theirs. Rub their noses in what's expected of a modern game studio, including using the Internet. Who knows, a miracle might happen and they might even realize why the other way is better and they've been hamstringing themselves by insisting on proprietary bullshit.
It would be kind of amazing if that happened but it's the biggest pipe dream yet imagined.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Strange Matter posted:

It would be kind of amazing if that happened but it's the biggest pipe dream yet imagined.
I said "best", not "most likely".

If Nintendo had a lick of sense they'd at least put one team on third party development, because for gently caress's sake. You aren't just getting beaten, you're getting stepped on like an ant. Your competitors don't even seem to notice they're crushing you. Maybe, just loving maybe, getting some intelligence on what they're doing that you're not would be a good thing.

Arrogance. It all comes back to how utterly arrogant they are.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

If they dropped out of the home console market, they would just focus everything they have on handhelds.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
I want Nintendo to admit the WiiU is a failure and stop refusing to release console VC games on the 3DS in their desperate attempt to prevent the 3DS from cannibalizing WiiU sales. I want to play Earthbound, and I want to give Nintendo my money, but they're only getting $10. Not $360.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If they dropped out of the home console market, they would just focus everything they have on handhelds.
Hell, that's kinda what they're doing right now, while still supposedly being in the home console market.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Pretty much this, and as much as I love Nintendo's home console stuff, I'd be fine with them only working on Handheld stuff if it came down to that.

They'll become a handheld only company long before they even think about becoming a third party for another companies home console.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I think Nintendo makes beautiful home console games, so I hope they don't do that.

I played New Super Mario Bros. U, and I thought it looked great. I think Mario Kart 8 looks great too. I can't wait to play Wind Waker in HD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

CapnAndy posted:

I said "best", not "most likely".

If Nintendo had a lick of sense they'd at least put one team on third party development, because for gently caress's sake. You aren't just getting beaten, you're getting stepped on like an ant. Your competitors don't even seem to notice they're crushing you. Maybe, just loving maybe, getting some intelligence on what they're doing that you're not would be a good thing.

Arrogance. It all comes back to how utterly arrogant they are.
It's endemic to every company though. Nintendo screwed themselves over coming out of the SNES with the Virtual Boy and the N64, Sony completely botched the first half of the PS3's lifetime, and then Nintendo and Microsoft both practically handed the next generation to Sony after the most recent E3. At least Microsoft had the sense to slam their plans into reverse gear once they realized what was going to happen. With Nintendo it's either too late or they're too scared/embarrassed to do that.

• Locked thread