Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Oh man, TFCon!

You know, I probably don't need to tell you guys how great TFCon is, because it should be obvious now. I had a blast, even though I was coughing and retching the entire con and was hopped up on tons of Robitussin and cough drops. Everyone should go to TFCon because it's the best. Botcon is lame, don't go to that, don't stay in your house playing video games end of July, drive or fly to Toronto and go to TFCon you fuckers.

I got to meet Strange Hamster who is a pretty cool dude. I didn't get to see Spiderdrake as I was somewhat indisposed on Saturday, or Optimist Prime. Optimist, I... uh... kinda forgot that you even went, and that's my bad. I got to hang out with Rei again a little bit too, also a cool dude.

TFCon Highlights:
*Getting completely lost in Toronto on my way to meet some folks and eventually finding them by some miracle
*Lots of bro time with @aloadofhupla on twitter and I really need to convince that fucker to buy an SA account already
*Met James Roberts
*Almost getting killed twice because this guy from Northern Ontario that I was riding with who isn't used to city driving and turned left at stop lights when there were cars coming (really cool guy, not making GBS threads on him or anything, but one second later and I would kind of be dead)
*Malwave getting chased around and shot repeatedly with nerf guns for a full hour (fursecution!)
*Crasis from Preorder66 dressing up his Admiral Ackbar doll in swim trunks and throwing him down the waterslide and belly flopping down it himself to the lifeguard's complete disbelief and then later throwing him around in the pool like a football
*Played some Street Fighter IV with TJ Duckett
*Not sleeping at all Friday night with my head over a trash can full of vomit and use tissues and then later being like a zombie on Saturday because I didn't sleep at all (ok so this one wasn't quite so fun as the others)
*All around cool dude Coop \ @Riderstrike dressing up as Shafter
*Some dude bringing a Lucky Draw Golden Rodimus for Dick Gautier to sign and Protoman almost having an orgasm right there
*Realizing that God Ginrai's box was too loving big for me to take so I had to carry him on the plane in a garbage bag
*Lots and lots and lots of drinking

And probably some other stuff. Good times.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Blackheart posted:

Sounds like BS honestly... the "return to 2d with a younger target audience" rumor seemed more likely. Sometimes I just wonder if just taking the IDWverse to TV would work.

Given the end of TFP, it would be pretty plausible to adapt RiD, or at least the concept of it.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I just want a non-specialized aesthetic in the mainline again. I loved Animated and I don't hate Prime, but we haven't had a "normal" mainline since Cybertron.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I just want a non-specialized aesthetic in the mainline again. I loved Animated and I don't hate Prime, but we haven't had a "normal" mainline since Cybertron.

Ironically, I think the existence of Generations is going to guarantee that the main line of cartoon-based figures is always going to have a more stylized or at least noticeably different aesthetic so as to distinguish the two lines from one another.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
MTMTE tomorrow. The preview seems to hint that Tyrest is....not all there.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Has anyone else been doing the brick and mortar Soundwave hunt? I've been at it for two weeks and the word from the store today was that they were not going to get it in store at all based on the website saying "not sold in stores" in the blue box with pricing. It seemed more like a "I'm not in the mood to look up if it came in the truck" response than an actual rule, but I wanted to see if anyone else was running into this.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

GD_American posted:

MTMTE tomorrow. The preview seems to hint that Tyrest is....not all there.

I'm mostly curious just what the hell Star Saber is up to. I mean I love that he showed up, but it seemed to come out of nowhere.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't trust any of these guys worth a nickel and I'm wondering if Minimus Ambus is going to get back in the suit by the end of this. I'm kind of wondering if Roberts has a list of who all would be considered 0.1%ers, now that we know Impactor, Roller and Minimus are all ones, as well as that there's different classes of them to boot.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

BXCX posted:

Has anyone else been doing the brick and mortar Soundwave hunt? I've been at it for two weeks and the word from the store today was that they were not going to get it in store at all based on the website saying "not sold in stores" in the blue box with pricing. It seemed more like a "I'm not in the mood to look up if it came in the truck" response than an actual rule, but I wanted to see if anyone else was running into this.

Yeah thats just lazy bullshit. Ask them to check their manifest before the truck arrives, they can look for the numbers. They can even check their DC inventory to see if its even gotten any.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I'm mostly curious just what the hell Star Saber is up to. I mean I love that he showed up, but it seemed to come out of nowhere.

The beauty of it is he's a known quantity to nerds but basically a blank slate as far as characterization. Roberts can make him whatever the hell he wants to be.

I'm pretty sure Tailgate's gonna make a deal (or try to make a deal) to don the armor for Tyrest.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

TFCon was, as always, loving amazing. Like a four-day blur of drinking and waterslides with a dealer room and the occasional panel.

Videos:
Vangelus singing Bad Romance
More Karaoke (Feat. Goober, the Legend of TFCon)

And my complete haul!

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Go back and look at Tailgate's vial of innermost energon. At the time, I thought it was because of contamination from the bomb disposal. Now? Not so much.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Rei_ posted:

TFCon was, as always, loving amazing. Like a four-day blur of drinking and waterslides with a dealer room and the occasional panel.

Videos:
Vangelus singing Bad Romance
More Karaoke (Feat. Goober, the Legend of TFCon)

Who ruined their voice just yelling the hell out of Mr. Roboto?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I did originally think Tailgate was going to end up in the armour but thinking about it, it becomes awkward because to us Ambus *is* Magnus to all intents and purposes. All his experiences and characterisation would be lost and, despite his mentalness, I really like him and want him to stick around.

How about Ambus keeps the armour and Tailgate nabs the supercool red/navy/black version of it, everyone wins!

As for Star Sabre, going by the preview it's the same deal as Magnus, so maybe there's someone of note inside?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

strangehamster posted:

Who ruined their voice just yelling the hell out of Mr. Roboto?

I don't know his name, but he's there every year dressed up as 1990's Weird Al. This year for Karaoke he was Weird Al Cosplaying As a Dalek.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Rei_ posted:

I don't know his name, but he's there every year dressed up as 1990's Weird Al. This year for Karaoke he was Weird Al Cosplaying As a Dalek.

I want to go to TFCon so much more than BotCon now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Before I even finished the word "Masterpiece" the guy at the customer service counter at Toys R Us started to curl the corners of his mouth into a grin that said all I needed to know.

:negative:

He then said that they were supposed to get them last week, never did, and haven't heard anything else since.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The Rage posted:

I want to go to TFCon so much more than BotCon now.

Well, good. Good. That's the correct response. That's something everyone should be saying.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well, good. Good. That's the correct response. That's something everyone should be saying.
I enjoyed a good twenty minute rant from hamster regarding how big a bag of donkeys botcon was. I think it's the only thing I really saw him complain about all weekend.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Blackheart posted:

Sounds like BS honestly... the "return to 2d with a younger target audience" rumor seemed more likely. Sometimes I just wonder if just taking the IDWverse to TV would work.

Depends on the series. I know most of us would love a MTMTE series, but it lacks Optimus, Megatron, Starscream and Bumblebee, so Hasbro probably won't be interested. RiD has the latter three, but kids won't be interested in politics.

That just leaves Furman or Costa's stuff.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Spiderdrake posted:

I enjoyed a good twenty minute rant from hamster regarding how big a bag of donkeys botcon was. I think it's the only thing I really saw him complain about all weekend.

I also complained that the continental breakfast was $12, bring lots of snacks everybody! I found two instruction manuals on the desk that were missed, I will send them next time.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

RaspberryCommie posted:

Depends on the series. I know most of us would love a MTMTE series, but it lacks Optimus, Megatron, Starscream and Bumblebee, so Hasbro probably won't be interested. RiD has the latter three, but kids won't be interested in politics.

Or some sort of bullshit where they interject those characters into MTMTE at the expense of Rodimus, Overlord, Cyclonus, and SWERVE, in that order. Optimus as the infallible Christ/leader, Megatron as the dirty secret hidden in a cell, Starscream as the Recovering Decepticon, and Bumblebee because gosh kids love Bumblebee- we'll just replace Swerve's hilarious lines with some beep boops and radio noises and it'll be perfect!

gently caress me, I just made myself a bit nauseous.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

RaspberryCommie posted:

That just leaves Furman or Costa's stuff.

RiD has Optimus, though! He's off solving Jhiaxus' and Soundwave's mysteries with Hardhead, Wheelie, and the big beefy guy.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Keldroc posted:

Ironically, I think the existence of Generations is going to guarantee that the main line of cartoon-based figures is always going to have a more stylized or at least noticeably different aesthetic so as to distinguish the two lines from one another.

That always hasn't been the case. You had RTS running as the main line while Generations existed and both lines were Classic styled figures.

I honestly wouldn't mind this though, there is a shitload of Decepticons that have yet to be classic-ized from the first three years compared to the Autobots. Really the only Major Autobot guys missing are Huffer, Pipes, and Broadside.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

WendigoJohnson posted:

That always hasn't been the case. You had RTS running as the main line while Generations existed and both lines were Classic styled figures.

I would just call RTS a spinoff of Generations. The mainline was still Movie stuff at the time.

quote:

I honestly wouldn't mind this though, there is a shitload of Decepticons that have yet to be classic-ized from the first three years compared to the Autobots. Really the only Major Autobot guys missing are Huffer, Pipes, and Broadside.

I just hope they get around to a Voyager Astrotrain at some point.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Keldroc posted:

I would just call RTS a spinoff of Generations. The mainline was still Movie stuff at the time.

I just hope they get around to a Voyager Astrotrain at some point.

RTS was the continuation of HFTD which was the movie mainline.

I don't know why they would need a voyager Astrotrain, the Deluxe seemed good enough. It's never been repainted as anything in America, same with Universe 2.0 Hound(barring convention exclusives). I'm sort of hoping they release Throttlebot repaints since that Hound mold could pass for the Jeep and they certainly have 4 different car molds so we could have all 6 after Goldfire comes out.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Phy posted:

RiD has Optimus, though! He's off solving Jhiaxus' and Soundwave's mysteries with Hardhead, Wheelie, and the big beefy guy.

Yeah, true, but he's only shown up a small handful of times, so I didn't think he'd count.

Then again, Megatron was in the book even less, so I guess you have a point.

Diet Poison posted:

Or some sort of bullshit where they interject those characters into MTMTE at the expense of Rodimus, Overlord, Cyclonus, and SWERVE, in that order. Optimus as the infallible Christ/leader, Megatron as the dirty secret hidden in a cell, Starscream as the Recovering Decepticon, and Bumblebee because gosh kids love Bumblebee- we'll just replace Swerve's hilarious lines with some beep boops and radio noises and it'll be perfect!

gently caress me, I just made myself a bit nauseous.

I'd smash a bro if they tried to replace Swerve. He's one of the best parts of MTMTE.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
New MTMTE is out.

This book, this frassa-rassin book, I read it and instantly want it to be a month later because I have to know what happens next.

Man he even mentions the V.V.H. in the book, off the chain...

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

drat this book

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Welp :smith:

Oh man, I'm gonna miss the 'big' guy so much, that was just a brutal thing to end on. Loved the reveal regarding Tyrest's holes and his demented theory regarding the cold constructed TFs. And I guess Star Sabre is just a normal - bugfuck crazy - fellow then? Hmmmm.

Oh and Cyclonus and Whirl's bromance and walking towards the 'camera' with Dai Atlas and gently caress off big swords was ace. Still betting they try and kill each other though.

Great stuff but FFS, it's going to be a long month.

Algae Magnet
Jul 1, 2013
On recommendations from this thread, I've bought Robots in Disguise and More Than Meets The Eye on ebook, I've also ordered Last Stand of the Wreckers on paperback.

I've read all of Robots in Disguise, all the volumes I can buy in the UK, and a bit of More Than Meets The Eye. Loving what I've read so far, but damned if I'm not confused.
Why is Cybertron primordial? How did Prime die, come back to life and no one seem to give a poo poo about him?

Is this stuff all covered in the The IDW series?
Can someone point me in the right direction, hopefully ebook/kindle versions, because I want to start reading right now.

Also bought the 1st volume of the Transformers UK comic, for what it's worth.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
So we have outliers that get special abilities not based on their alt modes.

There are also zero point one percenters who have special sparks.

Now it seems that zero point one percenters have special characteristics as well?

Will be interesting to see how that plays out, is there a linkage or are they separate phenomenon,

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?

Algae Magnet posted:

Loving what I've read so far, but damned if I'm not confused.
Why is Cybertron primordial? How did Prime die, come back to life and no one seem to give a poo poo about him?

Is this stuff all covered in the The IDW series?
Can someone point me in the right direction, hopefully ebook/kindle versions, because I want to start reading right now.
There was a book titled "Death of Optimus Prime" that was the starting point. But to answer those questions: Cybertron was a dead world due to the prolonged war. It got "rebooted." Optimus Prime didn't physically die. The Matrix was drained, he decided he was done with everything, started calling himself Orion Pax again, and exiled himself as a symbol of the war that destroyed their world. A surprisingly large number of civilians had fled and survived and when they returned to Cybertron, they hated autobot and decepticon alike because to them, both sides were to blame for the millions of years of war that destroyed everything.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh, holy crap that was a big issue. So many plot threads coming together.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Oh God.

R.I.P. Ultra Mag- er, Minimus Ambus. My favorite guy is dead. :smith:

I'm really hoping that Tailgate becomes the next Ultra Magnus.

It really feels like MTMTE is gearing up for the end, and this is the beginning of the series' climax. I think this book is going to end at issue 24 or 25, or if not, then the storyline it's been running for the past two years probably will and it will continue on with a new story and new cast, because frankly I don't think many characters are going to be left alive after this one. James Roberts is a very, VERY Yoshiyuki Tomino "kill 'em all" kind of author.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I'd hope they wouldn't end it so soon, given how popular and well regarded the series is. Plus Roberts did say there was something like 200+ on the Lost Light, and given what Cyclonus and Whirl found, it's possible even more may be coming along for the ride. More likely the cast of characters will change somewhat as more are lost/leave and others step up to the plate.

drat it, they can't stop till they find the Knights of Cybertron, and that should take *years*. :colbert:

Algae Magnet
Jul 1, 2013

SpikeMcclane posted:

There was a book titled "Death of Optimus Prime" that was the starting point. But to answer those questions: Cybertron was a dead world due to the prolonged war. It got "rebooted." Optimus Prime didn't physically die. The Matrix was drained, he decided he was done with everything, started calling himself Orion Pax again, and exiled himself as a symbol of the war that destroyed their world. A surprisingly large number of civilians had fled and survived and when they returned to Cybertron, they hated autobot and decepticon alike because to them, both sides were to blame for the millions of years of war that destroyed everything.

Thanks, as silly as it sounds, I'm not read much into "Death of Optimus Prime" and "More then meets the eye", because I heard their quite good and I've got a few hours to kill up the hospital soon, so I was saving it for that.

Does the IDW series cover how Cybertron got rebooted.

I'm just wondering if it's worth buying into the series.
I can see Transformers: The IDW Collection volumes for sale, but they range from £30-£40, which is a bit more of a commitment then the cheap ebooks I've been able to buy.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
It was really bad and done with basically no explanation on the last couple pages of the ongoing. You really aren't missing anything of any importance. IIRC noone reading had any clue what happened until the new books came out.

Algae Magnet
Jul 1, 2013
Thanks, you just saved me 100+ quid, think I'll just read up on the Transformers wiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

WendigoJohnson posted:

RTS was the continuation of HFTD which was the movie mainline.

But it was full of CHUG toys, including some that were almost instantly redecoed and released in the concurrent CHUG line. I don't think anyone quite knows what Hasbro was thinking with RtS, and it's probably not significant enough to use as evidence that the next cartoon series has a shot at looking exactly like the Generations aesthetic at this point.

quote:

I don't know why they would need a voyager Astrotrain, the Deluxe seemed good enough. It's never been repainted as anything in America, same with Universe 2.0 Hound(barring convention exclusives).

The Deluxe is super mediocre, and nowhere near good enough. It barely has hands. Now that Hasbro seems open to the idea of Voyager-sized triple-changers, it's time for Astrotrain to get a figure that does him justice.